Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Unicron #3

Transformers News: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Unicron #3

Saturday, August 4th, 2018 5:41AM CDT

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 11,849

Fellow Seibertronian Sunstar has pointed us towards the first of the full previews that will appear between now and Wednesday, for the IDW Publishing Transformers comics, on Previews World. Specifically, we're looking at the big bad itself, the third chapter of the Unicron mini-series - mirrored in full below for your own convenience - and starting to shed some light on the origin of the Uncreator itself.

Take a look, and start speculating on the story before the full book release next week!

Transformers: Unicron #3 (of 6)
(W) John Barber (A/CA) Alex Milne

Unicron approaches Cybertron, so Windblade enacts a desperate plan-one neither Optimus Prime nor Starscream agree with! Has Windblade outmaneuvered Shockwave's machinations-or played right into his deadly hand?

In Shops: August 8, 2018

SRP: $4.99

Transformers News: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Unicron #3

Transformers News: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Unicron #3

Transformers News: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Unicron #3

Transformers News: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Unicron #3

Transformers News: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Unicron #3

Transformers News: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Unicron #3
Credit(s): Previews World
Re: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Unicron #3 (1976464)
Posted by steve2275 on August 4th, 2018 @ 8:15am CDT
damn fine art
Re: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Unicron #3 (1976467)
Posted by ZeroWolf on August 4th, 2018 @ 8:33am CDT
Well I guess I know what arcee is saying in the next panel ;-) and this origin is a lot more interesting now.
Re: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Unicron #3 (1976502)
Posted by Silverwing on August 4th, 2018 @ 2:06pm CDT
On the last page, is that Starscream calling Bumblebee "old friend" or Optimus?
Re: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Unicron #3 (1976678)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on August 5th, 2018 @ 3:48pm CDT
Silverwing wrote:On the last page, is that Starscream calling Bumblebee "old friend" or Optimus?

I would guess Optimus, as he's called Bee old friend before. But the bubbles there are a bit vague
Re: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Unicron #3 (1976682)
Posted by Va'al on August 5th, 2018 @ 3:57pm CDT
D-Maximal_Primal wrote:

I am almost entirely certain that is Starscream speaking to Bumblebee. Optimus is entirely to one side as the conversation starts and continues.

Also, this is the first time we've seen Starscream see Bumblebee return on the page, whereas OP has been talking to him all of last couple of issues!
Re: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Unicron #3 (1976685)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on August 5th, 2018 @ 3:59pm CDT
Va'al wrote:
D-Maximal_Primal wrote:

If this ends up truly the case, cause it is kinda confusing in that panel, it says even more for Starscream. He's become a pretty great character in recent years, in an almost Armada Starscream way.
Re: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Unicron #3 (1976705)
Posted by ZeroWolf on August 5th, 2018 @ 4:57pm CDT
Starscream has been really well developed since the Death of Optimus Prime one shot. Even more so after Dark Cybertron.
Re: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Unicron #3 (1976720)
Posted by steve2275 on August 5th, 2018 @ 7:03pm CDT
D-Maximal_Primal wrote:
Va'al wrote:
D-Maximal_Primal wrote:

when did omega come back?
Re: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Unicron #3 (1976729)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on August 5th, 2018 @ 8:07pm CDT
steve2275 wrote:when did omega come back?

He appeared once more last issue
Re: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Unicron #3 (1976851)
Posted by ScottyP on August 6th, 2018 @ 1:22pm CDT
Va'al wrote:
D-Maximal_Primal wrote:

I am completely certain our main man Mr. Long took care of making up for this weird panel layout (there is no reason to show Optimus' back here) by pointing those bubbles to distinguish between Starscream and Windblade based on height, making it natural (to me) to assume Starscream is the one speaking.
Re: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Unicron #3 (1976870)
Posted by ZeroWolf on August 6th, 2018 @ 3:33pm CDT
I agree plus starscream and bee have had plenty of time to get to know each other better so I don't think screamer calling him old friend is that odd ;-)
Re: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Unicron #3 (1977244)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on August 8th, 2018 @ 3:37am CDT

Monster
A Seibertron.com Somewhat Spoilerish Review of Unicron #3

Synopsis

The secret side of me
I never let you see

Story

Back again are we? Well, here we are, halfway through the epic Unicron finale, the giant be-all-end-all story for IDW, the culmination of 13 years of stories. So where do we sit halfway through the 6 part finale, minus a free comic book day intro?

I feel the rage
And I just can't hold it

Well, we don't actually sit too far away from where we were last time. The thing about this issue is that, objectively and character-wise, it was good. But pacing wise, I feel like it slowed down some, a bit too much. Now that's not to say the comic is bad by any means, because it isn't, but I feel like it should have moved just a smidge faster.

Pacing wise set aside, let's take a look at what else the comic had to offer. Probably my favorite part of the book was the core character moments. Characters like Bumblebee and Aileron shined together, with Soundwave providing a subtle but meaningful voice in his moments of time. But Starscream once again continues to steal the spotlight, and between last issue and this issue, we truly see his Till All Are One redemption story and his past self truly merge to create a genuinely great and enjoyable Starscream.

Why won't somebody come and save me from this?
Make it end!

The other characters included and the overall action in orbit are also present and they did their part, albeit maybe just a teensy bit too briefly. I understand that this is a dense book and it's basically the big climax of 13 years, but I still think an extra few panels could have made the battle in orbit a bit more memorable. Victorion and the torchbearers themselves stood out, while Elita-1 sort of fizzled out. In a way, Windblade was also sort of just there, as I felt her role really was just telling everyone how terrible they really were over all those years and how this is the final true end result. That said, her and Arcee did work well together, and she served as s a good bounce back for many of Arcee's good character moments.

There's no escape for me
It wants my soul,
It wants my heart

And meanwhile, Unicron is there, not really doing anything the whole issue except being huge and intimidating, with one brief 1986 callback moment, albeit not the one I would have hoped for. He felt like background in the issue, like the threat is right there, but it really doesn't do anything until page 19. But despite this, it's not like he just spoke to the assembled living beings; no, he remains mute save for his 2 words repeated only once from their initial quote, and honestly, in this case, I think this is all Unicron really needs to be at this point. His presence is enough to satisfy his appearance in the book... at least for now.

Art

Art for this issue once more continues with Alex Milne leading the lining charge, Sebastian Cheng on colors (with David Garcia Cruz this issue too), and Tom B. Long heading up the lettering. The issue was certainly another tough task to conquer, but once again we have some great art and great visual moments. The combination of yet more intense space battle and cluttered city views could be enough to bury some artistic teams, but this one keeps on chugging away.

The visuals are stunning, and it is amazing how, despite the constant shifts from glowing bright light to darkened areas, the action still stands out, the lines are still pronounced, everything still works. It is magnificent.

Also, the shading on the characters works incredibly well. It still amazes me when Milne can make someone with one eye and no face, a faceplate and eyes, or even a faceplate with just a visor still emote as though they had a full normal human like face.

I hate what I've become
The nightmare's just begun

Final Thoughts

This issue felt a bit like it was spinning its wheels in some areas and house cleaning in others, but still delivered on characters and intimidation. I would be doing the book a disgrace if I said it was bad or even mediocre, simply on the weight of the characters and the visuals. But I also feel we are at that point where things should be picking up, and they aren't fully up to my standards quite yet. This appears to be a pattern with recent books, where the first issue comes out swinging, the next 2 are sort of there, advancing the plot and characters but not accomplishing a whole lot, before we get the full on charge to the finish. Now I don't mind that, especially as someone who primarily buys the Trades, but I wish we could have just a bit more in those early-mid issues.

I'm gonna lose control
Here's something radical
I must confess that I feel like a monster

That said, if that last page didn't give you a least a bit of a chill, get out here. In the same way the last part of issue 2 hyped me up, issue 3 did the same. Now I'm hoping it can deliver a little bit more than issue 3 did following issue 2's last pages.

.:SG-BOTS: :SG-BOTS: :SG-BOTS: :SG-BOTS: out of :SG-BOTS: :SG-BOTS: :SG-BOTS: :SG-BOTS: :SG-BOTS:

For all the covers part of this issue, take a look at the Vector Sigma Comics Database entry here. And of course, seeing as how we are in a Unicron review, I give you the spotlight/title song for this issue (A tough one to pick I might add): Monster by Skillet.
Re: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Unicron #3 (1977266)
Posted by ZeroWolf on August 8th, 2018 @ 5:43am CDT
Great review D-max! To think we're already half way through this event.
Re: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Unicron #3 (1977321)
Posted by Black Bumblebee on August 8th, 2018 @ 12:49pm CDT
Meh. Unicron needs to "do" more. All these colonies worlds are wiped out like *that* one right after the other... but no on Cybertron... let's just float and look tough.
Re: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Unicron #3 (1977326)
Posted by Va'al on August 8th, 2018 @ 1:21pm CDT

[quote]The impact of losing whole planets is bad, but feels a bit ambiguous due to lack of much specific loss-outside the mistress of flame-. When your known characters start to be taken down, it makes it feel more real.[/quote]

Re: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Unicron #3 (1977328)
Posted by Ms. Trebuchette on August 8th, 2018 @ 1:31pm CDT
Va'al wrote:Something I found in this issue - which out of the three was the one I responded to with most emotions - was the sense of actual endings happening. Tigertrack said, on staff discussion, something that I entirely shared in my experience of the issue:

Three characters in particular, with one prolonged fight scene, were what sold me on this. And made me feel really bad for those involved.[/quote]

Yeah. I've been having feels over the one(?) from that fight scene. One of the other deaths I think is a fake out based on the last page.

My biggest feels in this book (since #1) have been Arcee, Aileron, Starscream, and Windblade. There is SO much going on with all three of four of these characters and this issue really ratchets it up a few notches. I'm particularly worried about how Arcee's revelation about serving the 13 Primes is affecting her and Aileron (since I've felt that part of their connection was that Arcee didn't mock or denigrate Aileron's religious beliefs).
Re: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Unicron #3 (1977351)
Posted by The Lonely Cracker on August 8th, 2018 @ 2:44pm CDT
I quite like this song theme we've got going on here.
Re: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Unicron #3 (1977354)
Posted by Big Grim on August 8th, 2018 @ 2:50pm CDT
Ms. Trebuchette wrote:I'm particularly worried about how Arcee's revelation about serving the 13 Primes is affecting her and Aileron (since I've felt that part of their connection was that Arcee didn't mock or denigrate Aileron's religious beliefs).

That’s an interesting takeaway!
Re: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Unicron #3 (1977360)
Posted by ZeroWolf on August 8th, 2018 @ 3:00pm CDT
Big Grim wrote:

That’s an interesting takeaway!

Indeed, considering arcee's idw origins were mired in a little controversy, I think she's come a long, long way and is all the better for it.

As for that final shot, I think it's definitely not what it appears but they have one act left to preform...then its for reals.

Re: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Unicron #3 (1977380)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on August 8th, 2018 @ 4:31pm CDT
The Lonely Cracker wrote:I quite like this song theme we've got going on here.

Thanks! Don't ask how it started, I just went with it after I liked how #1 went!
ZeroWolf wrote:One thing I really want to know though, is how bludgeon became involved with Unicron, like how did they meet? Why didn't Unicron kill bludgeon or convert him like the others straight away.

I'm wondering this as well, Bludgeon and Monstructor have been everywhere since this continuity even began, I'd like to know more, especially with how they reconfigured into Maximal/Beast forms. They both look amazingly badass in those forms too.

[spoiler]I'm thinking that both Elita and Stormclash are dead. WE finally witness a combiner have one of its limbs killed while conscious and combined, and I liked seeing that. Kinda a shame about the crew of Carcer though, especially since we still don't know which planet they came from (and therefore the ore they had), and did we ever solve the Carcer/Tempo thing?

Also kinda cool that this issue seemingly confirms Unicron was the 13th colony.

I think Cybertron is dead. Windblade's plan somehow involves Metroplex and Trypticon together bridging the population elsewhere, like a 2 way bridge seeing as where Tryp is or something like that.

I also suspect that LL may still play a part in the very conclusion of the story. Seeing as how Rung is Primus (I will elaborate on 2 theories in the LL thread, but anyways), and if this is true, what if Rung/Primus take control of Functionist Cybertron, thus we have a new homeworld and the one beaten and battered and eventually destroyed by Unicron can stay gone.

Also, I am pretty convinced Unicron is either just gonna tear the planet apart and not eat it, or the poison only makes him stronger when he does consume Cybertron.[/spoiler]
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #205 - Ship Wrecked