Friday, December 13th, 2019 1:55pm CST

Categories: Toy News, Book News
Posted by: ZeroWolf   Views: 28,433

Transformers News: Takara Designers Interview From Transformers Generations 2020 Including Details About MP Raiden

Caption next to small picture of Raiden apparently reads:
New information on the Raiden project is now available at the Special Exhibition Tenku no Railroad Story at the Mori Arts Center Gallery & Sky Gallery in Roppongi Hills Mori Tower.

The main details are that the toy will indeed be part of the Masterpiece line, making this the first Combiner to feature in all the years the Masterpiece line has been running. It has been said that the designers want the alt mode to satisfy even "train" people, meaning railway enthusiastics. This will probably be along the lines of realistic alt modes.

The translation below has been machine translated for the most with some tweaks done to aid grammar. Have a read and let us know what you think.

Beyond the 35th Anniversary, Toward 2020
Mitsuhito Ohno, Hisashi Yuki and Daisuke Onohara

-Let's open with thoughts on 2019 as we look back.

Ohno: After all, “Bumblebee” was big. The movie itself was very appealing to the G1 design, fans of the past were happy and I think the general public enjoyed that it looked like this (different from previous movies). I also enjoyed it personally.
Onohara: For marketing purposes, it was very good that the movie had all-ages content that could be enjoyed by children and family.
Yuki: It was a good movie that allowed you to use your characters carefully. Thanks to “Bumblebee”, I think that there will be a chance to create new types of video works in the future.
Ohno: The possibilities have expanded, and expectations for the next movie are increasing as soon as possible. Another thing that impressed me personally was that Unicron was established, and I can't tell you the exact date, but in 2021, it will reach my Japanese lol. I'm most impressed by how [much space will be needed] to place it at home, so be prepared now (laughs)

-Ohno, you can order a large number of items in Japan, thank you so much. How about the new anime “Cyberverse”?

Onohara: It was a new challenge, but I recently exhibited at the Tokyo Motor Show [and observed] there are quite a lot of children who come close to Cyberverse.
Ohno: It’s an advantage that you can watch it many times.
Onohara: This is an anime that asks Miwa Iwano for sound this time, so that various people can enjoy various ways to enjoy it. The number of viewers is also increasing because of the increased activity of major characters in Season 2.
Ohno: Toys are also good products. It ’s very interesting. First of all, it is a toy that is interesting to play with. Since it has a toy-like gimmick, I'd like you to play with it as a toy.
Yuki: In conjunction with Hasbro's “Generations Selects” in the United States, we started out in the form of trying to select characters that would not be featured in their lineup or regular “Generations”. With Legends, I was able to put it up to Dai Atlas, and I thought it would be Star Convoy the next time. I want to [make challenging] Japanese characters in the future. A large item called King Poseidon also appeared. Fortunately, the idea of the development was that I thought it was a little ... that the combiner would define it, and that the [sixth] last scrambled unit would not come out. I want [to satisfy] the fans that have collected so far, so I wanted to meet that honest hope and commercialized it.

-As a high target item, how was the Masterpiece brand in 2019?

Ohno: I am also a member, but now Masterpiece is a development system with project members. Yuuki Oshima, who draws design sketches and gives ideas to TF fans, is one of the important members.
Onohara: We were able to release Convoy Version 3 and Bumble Version 2 for the 35th anniversary. Fortunately, Masterpiece started at the 20th anniversary, so when the series reaches its 40th anniversary in 5 years, then Masterpiece will reach its 20th anniversary. Then there will have been Masterpiece for half of the Transformers' history. Because it has progressed with a good feeling for such a long time, it seems that it has a product specification that can withstand such upgrades.
Ohno: Even if you have the same character, it's all right, so I would like to put out an evolution by changing the specifications. Minibots are almost untouched, and there are many things that can be done.

-You collaborated vigorously.

Onohara: I think the most important purpose of collaboration is to create opportunities that people who once knew the Transformers brand and those who knew it were able to feel “what is interesting”.
Yuki: Thanks to movies and so on for the past few years, it seems that collaboration has become more eager.
Ohno: You may be able to say that you can now truly collaborate.
Onohara: There was also a second G-SHOCK and an amazing collaboration with BUMP OF CHICKEN was also realized rapidly.
Ohno: A woman at a live venue wears a t-shirt with Bumblebee. I saw it and it was tremendous.

- Finally, please tell us about 2020.

Onohara: First of all, it's not the end of the 35th anniversary, but in February we will carry out the “Transformers Examination”. Especially for the intermediate level, it will be a good test of your skill, so I would like you to challenge it. After that, Netflix's new animation will be distributed in Japan. Fortunately, there’s no movie, so it feels like it ’s normal (laughs). We are also preparing new works for “Generations Selects”, so please be patient.

- What was the recently announced “Raiden Project”?

Onohara: Isn't everyone thinking "No way !?" This time, we decided to officially produce Raiden for Masterpiece. I don't know the release date yet.
Ohno: I want to use vehicle mode that will satisfy even the “Train” people.
Yuki: We are very much looking forward to Mr. Ohno joining the project. Masterpieces were handled by young people so far, so there weren't many patterns to make together with your own toys.
Ohno: That's right, you're going to recreate the Raiden that you did with yourself. I have to do my best.
Yuki: You can do many things that you couldn't do at that time (laughs).
Onohara: In this way, veterans make wonderful items, so I would like to deliver them firmly to everyone.

PROFILE
Mitsuhito Ohno joined Takara in 1980. Involved in development from the beginning of "Transformers" through "Microman" and "Diaclone". In 2010, he was selected for the Hall of Fame. Currently participating in the Masterpiece Project as a fellow.

Hisashi Yuki joined Takara in 1992. Participated in the Transformers team since “Beast Wars II”. In addition to developing products for domestic and overseas, he is responsible for the localization of “Cyberverse” [as well as the] planning and development of the Japanese version of “Generations Select”.

Daisuke Onohara joined Takara Tomy in 2006. Transformers Marketing, collaboration and events planning. In Transformers Cyberverse, he is one of the producers.

What do you think of this? Let us know in the Energon Pub and stay tuned to Seibertron for all the latest news and reviews!

Credit(s): Transformers Generations 2020

Re: Takara Designers Interview From Transformers Generations 2020 Including Details About MP Raiden (2046899)
Posted by Tigerhawk7109 on December 13th, 2019 @ 3:17pm CST
This just makes me cry. :-( It'll probably cost around $400, and I just can't do that crap :BOOM:

'Til all are one! :BH-PREDACON:
Re: Takara Designers Interview From Transformers Generations 2020 Including Details About MP Raiden (2046903)
Posted by sol magnus on December 13th, 2019 @ 3:34pm CST
Raiden is fine and all that, but this kind of stuck out -

Re: Takara Designers Interview From Transformers Generations 2020 Including Details About MP Raiden (2046904)
Posted by Flashwave on December 13th, 2019 @ 3:35pm CST
ZeroWolf wrote:Greetings Seibertronians! It's not just HasLabs Unicron that's been feeling the love from the Transformers Generations 2020 book (recently published in Japan), as there's also an interview with three Takara Designers (Mitsuhito Ohno, Hisashi Yuki and Daisuke Onohara) and one of the things they discuss is the recently announced MP Raiden project!

Caption next to small picture of Raiden apparently reads:

Beyond the 35th Anniversary, Toward 2020
Mitsuhito Ohno, Hisashi Yuki and Daisuke Onohara

-Let's open with thoughts on 2019 as we look back.

Ohno: It’s an advantage that you can watch it many times.

-As a high target item, how was the Masterpiece brand in 2019?

-You collaborated vigorously.

Ohno: You may be able to say that you can now truly collaborate.

- Finally, please tell us about 2020.

- What was the recently announced “Raiden Project”?

Ohno: I want to use vehicle mode that will satisfy even the “Train” people.
Yuki: You can do many things that you couldn't do at that time (laughs).

PROFILE

I think this sounds more and more prohibitively expensive with each news article. And I want one :shock: :-(
Re: Takara Designers Interview From Transformers Generations 2020 Including Details About MP Raiden (2046909)
Posted by mesh on December 13th, 2019 @ 4:45pm CST
i'm late to this conversation.......but seeing how much unicron is priced and the price hikes to the MP line....this combiner WILL NOT BE LESS THAN $500 US.
Moreover, Raiden never made here to North America so I have absolutely no clue who this guy is. Sure I saw the Youtube vids but that's not enough for me to fall in love with the character to even want one on the shelf.
At this point the MP line has lost me. I forced myself to buy the MP44 and what a mistake. Great figure but I'm still going to say that it should've been less expensive. Amazon Japan came in handy on that fig.

I don't know.......I'm not sold on this character. I'm sure it will look great and appeal to fans. The appeal might be enough for some fans to fork over the money regardless.

For me, the amount of money required to buy a MP fig is now just ridiculous. Case in point, MP Bumblebee 2.0. That thing should not be more than $70 US.

I've been collecting since the 80's and I can truly say that the collecting game has gotten pricey but this is now insane.

oh well, still fun to watch.
Re: Takara Designers Interview From Transformers Generations 2020 Including Details About MP Raiden (2046914)
Posted by Burn on December 13th, 2019 @ 5:47pm CST
mesh wrote:I'm sure it will look great and appeal to fans.

And that's just it. This is aimed squarely at the Japanese fans.

Even though they know Masterpiece is a great seller outside of Japan, this project just seems 100% geared solely to Japanese fans and collectors.

And that's fine, there are those outside of Japan who will still grab the set, but if they want to appeal to the Japanese collectors that's their prerogative I guess.
Re: Takara Designers Interview From Transformers Generations 2020 Including Details About MP Raiden (2046923)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on December 13th, 2019 @ 8:14pm CST
Burn wrote:they want to appeal to the Japanese collectors that's their prerogative I guess.

Well, they'd do just that when they finally decide to release MP Victory Leo.
Re: Takara Designers Interview From Transformers Generations 2020 Including Details About MP Raiden (2046929)
Posted by ScottyP on December 13th, 2019 @ 10:10pm CST
-Kanrabat- wrote:

Well, they'd do just that when they finally decide to release MP Victory Leo.
All of this appeals to me as someone that just likes cool robots
Re: Takara Designers Interview From Transformers Generations 2020 Including Details About MP Raiden (2046930)
Posted by Jelze Bunnycat on December 13th, 2019 @ 10:17pm CST
ScottyP wrote:
-Kanrabat- wrote:

Well, they'd do just that when they finally decide to release MP Victory Leo.
All of this appeals to me as someone that just likes cool robots

It could potentially appeal to me as a fan of railway models. As long as they use the original train models and are compatible with 0, H0 or N gauge.

One word of warning to you all: Raiden will get 2 limb pairs with the same transformation. The arms Seizan and Suiken, and the legs Yukikaze and Getsuei.
Re: Takara Designers Interview From Transformers Generations 2020 Including Details About MP Raiden (2046936)
Posted by Black Hat on December 14th, 2019 @ 6:36am CST
Re: Takara Designers Interview From Transformers Generations 2020 Including Details About MP Raiden (2046944)
Posted by Jelze Bunnycat on December 14th, 2019 @ 12:41pm CST
Black Hat wrote:Hmmm. I'm no expert on railway models but if this means that they're not unreasonably large, I might be down for at least one of them.

The most used scales are, from smallest to large:

N, 1:160
HO or H0, 1:87
O or 0, 1:48

There's also S, 1:64 which is half of Alternity or 1:32. Alternators/Binaltech is 1:24, which coincidentally matches G scale for gardens (which means they're really big).
Re: Takara Designers Interview From Transformers Generations 2020 Including Details About MP Raiden (2046949)
Posted by Black Hat on December 14th, 2019 @ 2:33pm CST
I see! Hmm, I think HO would be the most manageable, but O would be nice for scaling with 1:48 military models, and would probably go best with MPs.
Re: Takara Designers Interview From Transformers Generations 2020 Including Details About MP Raiden (2046960)
Posted by chuckdawg1999 on December 14th, 2019 @ 7:40pm CST
I usually kid but I think I'm really going to have to start working a street corner to afford this.
Re: Takara Designers Interview From Transformers Generations 2020 Including Details About MP Raiden (2046965)
Posted by Emerje on December 14th, 2019 @ 10:43pm CST
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:

The most used scales are, from smallest to large:

N, 1:160
HO or H0, 1:87
O or 0, 1:48

This being Takara Tomy I'll be rather surprised if they don't use their own proprietary Plarail scale and tracks (same as Shinkalion). On the other hand that scale is probably too small for Masterpiece. Best I can tell their bot modes are roughly the same as Autobot cars Prowl or Sideswipe making them Voyager-ish. Shinkalion figures are around 9", but it takes two engines and a car to get that big, they wouldn't be able to do that with Trainbots.

Then again, the Trainbots are pretty long, maybe they could unfold them into something big enough for MP scale and still have enough parts for combining. It's not like they weren't big square chunky bots on the cartoon already.

I'm really thinking around $700 for the set price. You have to figure each bot is going to be over $100 and there's six of them. After store discounts maybe it'll drop to $550, but probably not by much more than that. I'll get it because I really want to support MP combiners, but I hope Raiden is roughly the same size as Titan Devastator.

Emerje
Re: Takara Designers Interview From Transformers Generations 2020 Including Details About MP Raiden (2047055)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on December 15th, 2019 @ 9:17pm CST
really cool to see they are confirmed MP bots for Raiden. He will be super expensive, but I am ready to play that long haul expensive game. I want this. The idea of it is fantastic
Re: Takara Designers Interview From Transformers Generations 2020 Including Details About MP Raiden (2047134)
Posted by chuckdawg1999 on December 16th, 2019 @ 8:27pm CST
Emerje wrote:
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:

The most used scales are, from smallest to large:

N, 1:160
HO or H0, 1:87
O or 0, 1:48

Emerje

Wasn't there a lot of parts forming to the trains and to form Raiden? That might help keep the cost downish.
Re: Takara Designers Interview From Transformers Generations 2020 Including Details About MP Raiden (2047138)
Posted by Jelze Bunnycat on December 16th, 2019 @ 8:48pm CST
chuckdawg1999 wrote:
Emerje wrote:
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:

The most used scales are, from smallest to large:

N, 1:160
HO or H0, 1:87
O or 0, 1:48

Emerje

Just one detached part per figure:

Torso
Shouki: the front end forms the chest and head mount in Combined Mode with a separate piece
Kaen: the front engine forms the head

Arms
Seizan & Suiken: their fronts open up and form fillers for the abdominal area

Legs
Getsuei & Yukikaze: their fronts form the feet.

Overall, with the parts detached, they're all symmetrical blocks, plus as mentioned before the arm and leg bots share transformation.
Re: Takara Designers Interview From Transformers Generations 2020 Including Details About MP Raiden (2047147)
Posted by Nemesis Destron on December 16th, 2019 @ 10:09pm CST
I hope with all this excitement Raiden is generating with most that :TAKARATOMY: / :HASBRO: decide to release a new mold of Rail Racer/JRX in the wake of this train TF. :PRAY: :VEHI:
Re: Takara Designers Interview From Transformers Generations 2020 Including Details About MP Raiden (2047536)
Posted by triKlops on December 21st, 2019 @ 12:55pm CST
Interesting video to cross reference Transformers branding and functionality within the train model world.

Buy "Transformers MPM-03 Movie 10th Anniversary Figure Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Stryker 1 Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon" on AMAZON
Buy "Masterpiece MPM-7 Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 03 Deluxe Class Movie 3 Crowbar" on AMAZON
Buy "Playskool Heroes Transformers Rescue Bots Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #255 - Judgment Day
"Judgment Day"
Posted: Sunday, July 19th, 2020

Buy "Transformers Arms Micron RID TF:Prime Minicon Micromaster Go Kenzan lot" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Prime Go! JUDORA LOOSE COMPLETE" on EBAY
Buy "Soundwave #51 Mercedes Transformers Studio Series Deluxe Dark of the Moon MIB" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Construct Bots Ironhide Scout Class - E1:01 Hasbro Toys 45 Pieces" on EBAY
Buy "Takara Transformers G-42 Go Prime / Black Leo" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers construct bots Lot Bumble Bee Megatron Wheeljack Dinobot Optimus" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers 3 DOTM HUMAN ALLIANCE AUTOBOT SKIDS & ELITA 1 EPPS Movie USA Chevy" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Combiner Force Soundwave / Laserbeak 2 Pack New Sealed 2016" on EBAY