Haslab Unicron City Mode Concept Art Revealed

Transformers News: Haslab Unicron City Mode Concept Art Revealed

Thursday, December 12th, 2019 3:11am CST

Categories: Toy News, Book News
Posted by: Bounti76   Views: 18,160

Thanks to our very own ScottyP, we have a very interesting bit of artwork to share with you. ScottyP was perusing the Transformers Generations 2020 book this evening, which for the unaware, is an annual book released that contains information on upcoming toys. It also includes some interesting concept art by Emiliano Santalucia. This particular bit shows that the upcoming 2021 War for Cybertron Unicron figure, which was fully crowdfunded in October, had originally been planned to have a third mode, that of a city, which would have made him a triple changer. Also of note, as can be seen in the back of the photo, is the group of TV screens shown in the original animated movie.

Transformers News: Haslab Unicron City Mode Concept Art Revealed

As always, what do you think? Why was this third mode not included in the upcoming toy? Feel free to speculate below, and stay tuned for the latest news about everyone's favorite transforming figures!

Credit(s): ScottyP

This article was last modified on Thursday, December 12th, 2019 3:14am CST

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: Haslab Unicron City Mode Concept Art Revealed (2046692)
Posted by ZeroWolf on December 12th, 2019 @ 3:57am CST
Re: Haslab Unicron City Mode Concept Art Revealed (2046697)
Posted by ScottyP on December 12th, 2019 @ 6:18am CST
ZeroWolf wrote:That looks like a mess and a half. Glad they abandoned it,not everything needs a city mode!
I really really like the idea of it but yeah, overall that's a bit of a mess. Some fun concepts though that hopefully carry over.
Re: Haslab Unicron City Mode Concept Art Revealed (2046698)
Posted by Bumblevivisector on December 12th, 2019 @ 6:22am CST
I think this is a case of trying to compensate for the inherent scale issues by introducing a play pattern that would've just made said scale issues even harder to ignore. Vicious circle. I just hope no one breaks their $600 toy trying to get it into this mode if the finished product can't even do it anyway.

Still, if it means they worked his monitor/brain into the final design, then maybe it was worth considering.
Re: Haslab Unicron City Mode Concept Art Revealed (2046701)
Posted by Dr. Caelus on December 12th, 2019 @ 7:03am CST
It reminds me of the Chaos Marine buildings in Dawn of War. Would have opened up some head canon options, e.g., Unicron's spirit jumping to an ancient temple devoted yo him, and transforming it into a new body. I like the grabber claw over the maw, and would have been interested in seeing this thing next to the upcoming Quintesson figures.
Re: Haslab Unicron City Mode Concept Art Revealed (2046704)
Posted by Randomhero on December 12th, 2019 @ 7:56am CST

You’re Insane. That thing looks like a cityscape straight out of Hell which is appropriate for who it is. If that was done I woulda gone in and done the crowdfund
Re: Haslab Unicron City Mode Concept Art Revealed (2046706)
Posted by Gauntlet101010 on December 12th, 2019 @ 8:22am CST
That looks less like a city and more like a partially transformed Unicron.
Re: Haslab Unicron City Mode Concept Art Revealed (2046708)
Posted by blackeyedprime on December 12th, 2019 @ 8:26am CST
I kinda like the city mode, hopefully if they ever do a titan class Unicron it has the bonus city mode.
Re: Haslab Unicron City Mode Concept Art Revealed (2046711)
Posted by gothsaurus on December 12th, 2019 @ 8:36am CST
This is exactly what I was hoping for with a detailed interior. I’m glad they are putting this much thought into it. Hopefully some of these concepts will be retained so that there may be play areas you can expose with the TVs or defenses or acid vat. Really great to see this. I hope they keep it up with the fun reveals to keep us going through the year as we wait.
Re: Haslab Unicron City Mode Concept Art Revealed (2046713)
Posted by Mindmaster on December 12th, 2019 @ 8:42am CST
As dumb as the concept of Unicron having a city mode is, that is probably the coolest city mode I’ve ever seen.
Re: Haslab Unicron City Mode Concept Art Revealed (2046716)
Posted by JasonCanty79 on December 12th, 2019 @ 8:56am CST
For me, while it is a bit of a mess. It looks like a Cyber-Doom Level. I so can see this
being a Hell Mouth style level in a game. :michaelbay:
Re: Haslab Unicron City Mode Concept Art Revealed (2046717)
Posted by Sabrblade on December 12th, 2019 @ 8:59am CST
Guys... That city mode... is like something straight out of the old 3H Universe comics from OTFCC 2003, resembling the hellish landscape of Unicron's interior, right down to Unicron's maw being used as the Pit!

Re: Haslab Unicron City Mode Concept Art Revealed (2046718)
Posted by Black Hat on December 12th, 2019 @ 9:23am CST
Man, I'm sad that got canned. That looks really, really cool, as mentioned has very 40K Chaos vibes.
Re: Haslab Unicron City Mode Concept Art Revealed (2046722)
Posted by svalverde on December 12th, 2019 @ 9:58am CST
Re: Haslab Unicron City Mode Concept Art Revealed (2046723)
Posted by gothsaurus on December 12th, 2019 @ 10:03am CST
Aw man. It also just dawned on me the play value of being able to have the maw eat something, then it come OUT somewhere and continue through his bowels. That's a lot of play value there.
Re: Haslab Unicron City Mode Concept Art Revealed (2046724)
Posted by ZeroWolf on December 12th, 2019 @ 10:05am CST
svalverde wrote:I really like the concept, I really like the "city" mode because seems to me like a judgement pit for Quintessons and all the "city" in very quintesson style with spikes and details everywhere but... I see the entire structure and I just can't stop thinking that looks like a pregnant woman in childbirth :(

Well that's an image that's now stuck in my head...

Also remember, these images weren't from Hasbro but the Generations 2020 book that's out in Japan, hence we we have no idea what the text says along with it, as we need someone to translate it.
Re: Haslab Unicron City Mode Concept Art Revealed (2046727)
Posted by carytheone on December 12th, 2019 @ 10:13am CST
Bounti76 wrote:Image
Wow, that's really cool looking, but probably best they scrapped the idea. I'm of the mindset to do one thing and do it well.

There is some seriously awesome potential there. The first thing I thought when I saw this was: "that is some seriously metal design!"

Re: Haslab Unicron City Mode Concept Art Revealed (2046731)
Posted by Aimless Misfire on December 12th, 2019 @ 10:31am CST
Re: Haslab Unicron City Mode Concept Art Revealed (2046732)
Posted by Sabrblade on December 12th, 2019 @ 10:35am CST
Aimless Misfire wrote:This just goes right along with what I've been saying the whole time. Haslab should have made Metroplex not Unicron. I would have backed Metroplex.
They already made a Metroplex.
Re: Haslab Unicron City Mode Concept Art Revealed (2046737)
Posted by Black Hat on December 12th, 2019 @ 11:11am CST
Re: Haslab Unicron City Mode Concept Art Revealed (2046738)
Posted by Sabrblade on December 12th, 2019 @ 11:14am CST
Black Hat wrote:They already made a Unicron (a damn good one too) but that didn't stop them with this, did it? :lol:
They made a gigantic Metroplex. They have never made a gigantic Unicron.

Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Kramer Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 11 Deluxe Class Movie 4 Lockdown" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Titans Return Legends Class Seaspray" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Platinum Edition Trypticon Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #238 - The Podcast That Leapt Through Time
"The Podcast That Leapt Through Time"
Posted: Sunday, January 12th, 2020

Buy "Playskool Heroes Transformers Rescue Bots FIREPLUG Robot Dog" on EBAY
Buy "Playskool Heroes Transformers Rescue Bots Bumblebee Rescue Guard" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro - TRANSFORMERS - Playskool Heroes - RESCUE BOTS - Autobot HIGH TIDE" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Rescue Bots Knight Watch Bumblebee Hasbro" on EBAY
Buy "Lot of 7 Kidrobot Transformers vs GI Joe  3” Figures Snake Eyes Destro Cobra" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers RESCUE BOTS PLAYSKOOL HEROES [SWIFT THE CHEETAH-BOT] Action Figure" on EBAY
Buy "Lot of 8 Transformers Barricade Sideswipe Bumblebee Megatron Microman Rescue Bot" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Adventure Roadblock Targetmaster" on EBAY