Top 5 Best Grimlock Transformers Toys

Top 5 Best Grimlock Transformers Toys

Saturday, April 25th, 2020 2:41pm CDT

Categories: Site Articles, Editorials, Top Lists
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 46,648

Every two weeks, Seibertron.com brings you a Top 5 list related to all things Transformers written by me, your fellow editor. These are my opinions (just like movie or game reviews hosted by sites are still just the opinion of one person) so what matters most is what you guys think of the topic or list, and I hope to see your own lists or comments on omissions and ranking. Let's have fun! All previous lists can be found here.

Top 5 Best Grimlock Transformers toys

Grimlock is one of the most iconic and popular characters in the Transformers brand. I made a list three years ago for his best toys and I must say there wasn't the cornocopia of great Grimlock toys we have now, so I really felt this character needed another list. He feels a lot like Shockwave and Ironhide where even though they are classic characters, it took a while for Hasbro to give us some really great toys for our collections. Well, I am glad Grimlock is now getting his due.

5. Transformers G1 1985 Grimlock

The Dinobots are some of the crown jewels of any G1 collection and while their poseability is nothing to brag about, they will always looks great. Grimlock especially with his massive shoulders and decorative wings, adding to his upper mass. His T-Rex tail become the legs brings equal mass to his lower area, offsetting any top heaviness. The colours are also just great, with that gold just popping. It was a smart transformation and one that keeps getting carried over through different iterations over the years, even the movie toy covered above. And that biologically incorrect T-Rex mode adds to this toy being a time capsule of the 80s era while also giving him a more stylized mechanical dinosaur look, turning something dated into a timeless design.

4. Transformers Studio Series SS-07 Grimlock

FINALLY a good movie Grimlock figure came out. The previous voyager was not bad, but it wasn't something great. This one though really takes it up a notch. Firstly, they make him as big as you could while trying to still fit in a leader class box and then they give it a sweet air brush deco that is found all throughout the toy, making him look much closer to how he appearaed in the film. Speaking of that, we finally have a grimlock which, like in the film, has 2 full T-Rex heads as shoulder pads. And that second T-rex head is hiding in plain sight when in dino mode is pretty cool to me. I always love clever details like that. There is actually a lot of the robot mode detail hiding in plain sight in the dino mode, but that gives it a nearly kibble free robot mode. He is a tad simple, and not all pieces like to stay in place, but his imposing stature and look in both modes make him an easy pick for a list of the best Grimlock toys around.

3. Transformers Cyberverse Ultimate Grimlock

What's so fun to me about that toy is that it feels like a toy we would have gotten in the Cybertron line from the unicron trilogy, right down to a spring gimmick. It's something that both kids and collectors could enjoy while really having a presence and a smart transformation that feels familiar yet has some extra tricks to it. And it just looks so good as an update to g1 while being it's own take at the same time, and a the price of a voyager figure, you sure got your money's worth with this big beefy looking toy.

Transformers News: Top 5 Best Grimlock Transformers Toys

2. Transformers Adventure TAV-30 Battle Grimlock / Robots in Disguise Platinum Grimlock

Lipstick on a pig is an expression fans throw around when there is a deeply flawed Transformers toy that Hasbro or Takara tries to amerliorate with a paint job. It doesn't always work and usually the toy ends up remaining just the same, but with lipstick. However, this is a good example of a time when it worked. Of course some retooling helped a lot to the point where this Robots in Disguise Battle Grimlock (the Hasbro version was just called RID Grimlock) feels very different from the Fall of Cybertron Grimlock toy it is based on, with different transformation steps too. The shoulders which were once a mess are reworked and made simpler and less frustrating, and if you didn't know the mold existed before you would think this was made just for this character. They reworked a lot of pieces from the original and give it a faithful colour scheme (Hasbro's version is a tad less faithful). Here is a quick example to show how it keeps the base mold yet reworks it.

Transformers News: Top 5 Best Grimlock Transformers Toys

1. Transformers Masterpiece Grimlock (Grimlock (MP-08))

What can I say at this point that hasn't been said? This toy is nearly flawless. It has an imposing robot mode and a smooth Dinosaur mode that looks exactly like the show but with the extra shine of the G1 toy. The Transformation is well executed as it replicates the G1 transformation while taking modern engineering into account. Plus he is fully poseable and comes in gorgeous comic colours as well (and there is a version with hus tux too if you want). After three years and a huge influx of Grimlocks, nothing's come close.

Honourable Mention:

I didn't have an honourable mention last time, but now that we have more toys, you can look back on the previous list to see who didn't make the cut this time around: /transformers ... oys/38563/

Also, I do want to mention another: Transformers Animated Grimlock.

While he isn't too innovative on the G1 formula transformation wise, I do like like how they were able to get the proportions and cartoon look into an actual toy. And he is a solid toy, as is most of the animated line, probably even one of best voyager class toys from that whole line.

Transformers News: Top 5 Best Grimlock Transformers Toys

Re: Top 5 Best Grimlock Transformers Toys (2062198)
Posted by Fires_Of_Inferno on April 25th, 2020 @ 3:19pm CDT
Good list! I personally would put POTP Grimlock where RID Grimlock is, but RID Grim is still a good looking toy! And while I love me the G1 Grimlock, he is very much a product of his time and really falls short mechanics wise when it comes to the modern versions, but still definitely deserves a place on the list due to the instant feelings of nostalgia it gives.
Re: Top 5 Best Grimlock Transformers Toys (2062218)
Posted by MadnessMechanic on April 25th, 2020 @ 5:10pm CDT
Looking at this list kinda makes me regret selling my MP Grimlock. Wish they'd come out with a similar figure. Maybe the Earthrise line will continue that MP on a budget and we'll get a new Grimlock
Re: Top 5 Best Grimlock Transformers Toys (2062219)
Posted by Gauntlet101010 on April 25th, 2020 @ 6:02pm CDT
Well thought out list. Kinda makes me want to get that Cyberverse Grimmy. Even if I don't have any place for him and there's other stuff I want too.

Studio Grimmy is great. I have an oversized KO of him and love him. I'm not normally a movie guy, but I do like the movie's take on just about all the animal formers. It really works.
Re: Top 5 Best Grimlock Transformers Toys (2062227)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on April 25th, 2020 @ 7:15pm CDT
This list reminds me, my very next purchase needs to be MP-08X. I've been meaning to get him for years and something always happens.
Re: Top 5 Best Grimlock Transformers Toys (2062235)
Posted by ZeldaTheSwordsman on April 25th, 2020 @ 8:32pm CDT
I think MP-08X is just plain doofy, and for the same reason so is Pretender Jazz's inner robot :P
Re: Top 5 Best Grimlock Transformers Toys (2062237)
Posted by carytheone on April 25th, 2020 @ 9:10pm CDT
Here's my list based on figures I've owned.

5. Gold Armor Grimlock

4. G1 Grimlock

3. Animated Grimlock

2. FoC Grimlock

1. PotP Grimlock

Honorable Mention. SS Grimlock

Re: Top 5 Best Grimlock Transformers Toys (2062243)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on April 26th, 2020 @ 12:50am CDT
ZeldaTheSwordsman wrote:I think MP-08X is just plain doofy
Doofy how?
Re: Top 5 Best Grimlock Transformers Toys (2062244)
Posted by ZeldaTheSwordsman on April 26th, 2020 @ 1:17am CDT
Rodimus Prime wrote:
ZeldaTheSwordsman wrote:I think MP-08X is just plain doofy
Doofy how?
I think the main thing that sets him apart - the replacement of his black plastic with dark blue - looks really silly. I get that it's a reference to the comics, but the dark blue in the comics is just the standard comic thing of substituting dark blue for black because of inking limitations! :lol: It happened to EVERYBODY with black bits! What's next, dark blue versions of Skywarp, Rumble, Ravage, and the condors?
Re: Top 5 Best Grimlock Transformers Toys (2062245)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on April 26th, 2020 @ 1:23am CDT
ZeldaTheSwordsman wrote:
Rodimus Prime wrote:
ZeldaTheSwordsman wrote:I think MP-08X is just plain doofy
Doofy how?
Yes, please.

I like the blue. It goes better with the yellow, the red, and even the gray.
Re: Top 5 Best Grimlock Transformers Toys (2062247)
Posted by ZeldaTheSwordsman on April 26th, 2020 @ 1:54am CDT
Eh, I think the black works just fine in Grimlock's case, particularly when he has the blue optics from the cartoon (Speaking of, there's a feature more MPs need: Swapable eye colors).

You know who definitely does look better with his black replaced, though? Slag.
Take a look at the Diaclone version:
And the Canadian red variant. Granted, on that one he's further helped by having some paint applied to the rest of his face, but even without that it'd be an improvement.
Re: Top 5 Best Grimlock Transformers Toys (2062249)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on April 26th, 2020 @ 2:14am CDT
The black works fine, but the blue is better.
Re: Top 5 Best Grimlock Transformers Toys (2062369)
Posted by cruizerdave on April 27th, 2020 @ 12:18pm CDT
Re: Top 5 Best Grimlock Transformers Toys (2062429)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on April 27th, 2020 @ 5:10pm CDT
cruizerdave wrote:The MP Grimlock really is the best the figure ever could be. It’s beautiful in its details, has some great, unobtrusive gimmicks. It’s a standout among among a lot great figures through the years.
Agreed, 100%. I wouldn't be against another try at him, but I doubt it would be much of an improvement.

Re: Top 5 Best Grimlock Transformers Toys (2062435)
Posted by william-james88 on April 27th, 2020 @ 5:35pm CDT
Rodimus Prime wrote:

For me it's definitely the MP. He was even on my list of the best head sculpts of all time.

https://www.seibertron.com/transformers ... pts/36908/
Re: Top 5 Best Grimlock Transformers Toys (2062438)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on April 27th, 2020 @ 5:47pm CDT
Re: Top 5 Best Grimlock Transformers Toys (2062441)
Posted by william-james88 on April 27th, 2020 @ 5:58pm CDT
D-Maximal_Primal wrote:Having now got the Animated Grimlock, and he definitely deserves a spot on this list. He is so cool, and I love that weapon!

So what would your list be now?
Re: Top 5 Best Grimlock Transformers Toys (2062444)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on April 27th, 2020 @ 6:01pm CDT
william-james88 wrote:what would your list be now?

D-Maximal_Primal wrote:My personal list at this time would be:

5) PotP Grimlock
4) RiD Armor Grimlock
3) Fall of Cybertron Grimlock
2) Studio Series Grimlock
1) Cyberverse Ultimate Grimlock

Taking this list, Bump PotP off, push RiD back to 5th, insert Animated Grimlock at #4
Re: Top 5 Best Grimlock Transformers Toys (2062445)
Posted by carytheone on April 27th, 2020 @ 6:05pm CDT
Rodimus Prime wrote:Anyway, let me deviate sort of from the actual figure list, and ask you guys this: which Grimlock do you think has the best-looking face/head?
Feels relevant to me. Here's my picks.

Bot head

Dino head

Re: Top 5 Best Grimlock Transformers Toys (2062446)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on April 27th, 2020 @ 6:06pm CDT
carytheone wrote:
Feels relevant to me. Here's my picks.

Bot head

Dino head

That's all folks. both of these are absolutely the correct answers.

Dead serious too. these are both the best of each
Re: Top 5 Best Grimlock Transformers Toys (2062471)
Posted by ZeldaTheSwordsman on April 27th, 2020 @ 9:33pm CDT
This guy's is probably the best Grimlock head! :-D ;)

Kidding aside... Robot mode, I'd say a toss-up between MP-8 and Animated. Animated's is just plain cool, and MP-8 has clear-plastic G1 cartoon accurate optics as well as some paint on the faceplate.

Dino mode: Animated, hands-down. He looks suitably powerful and menacing while also managing to out-smug Beast Wars Megatron.

Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Kramer Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Acid Storm" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Windblade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Chaos on Velocitron 5-Figure Pack" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #270 - An Ox, a Seagull and a Monster
"An Ox, a Seagull and a Monster"
Posted: Sunday, February 14th, 2021

Buy "Transformers Beast Hunters HUN-GURRR & TwinStrike Cyberverse Abominus Lot" on EBAY
Buy "Takara Tomy Transformers Generations TG-23 Metroplex Action Figure Japan F/S" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Legends SHARKTICON SWEEPS Complete LG-44 Titans Return Takara GNAW" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Thrilling 30 Hoist Complete with Comic G1 CHUG" on EBAY
Buy "Cryotek Complete Ultra RID Universe Transformers Robots in Disguise 2001 2002" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers generations Combiner Wars Skywarp" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Scourge/Sweeps Body Part, Right Side Shield Lot" on EBAY