Transformers Movie Still in the Running for Visual Effects Oscar

Transformers Movie Still in the Running for Visual Effects Oscar

Saturday, January 5th, 2008 6:10pm CST

Categories: Movie Related News, Event News, Digital Media News
Posted by: Raymond T.   Views: 30,971

Variety has announced that the 2007 Transformers movie is still in the running for an Oscar Award in the catagory of Visual Special Effects. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences will determine the final 3 nominations for the award on January 16th. The competition for Transformers are, The Bourne Ultimatum, Evan Almighty, The Golden Compass, I Am Legend, Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End and 300.

Credit(s): www.variety.com

Re: Transformers Movie Still in the Running for Visual Effects Oscar (595259)
Posted by Cumulus on January 5th, 2008 @ 6:17pm CST
POTC 3 and 300? Ooo Can you say close race?
Re: Transformers Movie Still in the Running for Visual Effects Oscar (595266)
Posted by Omega Charge on January 5th, 2008 @ 6:20pm CST
close race.

Between TF and I Am Legend.
Re: Transformers Movie Still in the Running for Visual Effects Oscar (595317)
Posted by Fireblast on January 5th, 2008 @ 6:57pm CST
300 will win, it had a smaller budget than Transformers and it looked amazing compared to Transformers.
Re: Transformers Movie Still in the Running for Visual Effects Oscar (595338)
Posted by Megatron Wolf on January 5th, 2008 @ 7:11pm CST
If this movie dosent win then this just shows that people are retards. This movie had the best effects since Star Wars. This movie was like the first Jurassic Park with the effects.
Re: Transformers Movie Still in the Running for Visual Effects Oscar (595369)
Posted by Liege Evilmus on January 5th, 2008 @ 7:33pm CST
Alex Kingdom wrote:
If Transformers wins an oscar, I'll eat my entire TF collection.

Man I hope you record this one!
Re: Transformers Movie Still in the Running for Visual Effects Oscar (595407)
Posted by Sonray on January 5th, 2008 @ 8:04pm CST

I'll be real surprised if TF doesnt get the award, but Pirates 3 had some awesome effects too so its a tough choice.
Re: Transformers Movie Still in the Running for Visual Effects Oscar (595504)
Posted by Solrac333 on January 5th, 2008 @ 9:52pm CST
I hope it wins.
Re: Transformers Movie Still in the Running for Visual Effects Oscar (595529)
Posted by AbsumZer0 on January 5th, 2008 @ 10:23pm CST
Sonray wrote:Why the hell is Bourne in there? It hardly used any CGI, if any, that was its main appeal the action was all real....

Because the category is 'Best Visual Effects', not 'Best CGI'.
Re: Transformers Movie Still in the Running for Visual Effects Oscar (595548)
Posted by Me, Grimlock! on January 5th, 2008 @ 10:48pm CST
Re: Transformers Movie Still in the Running for Visual Effects Oscar (595552)
Posted by ***Galvatron*** on January 5th, 2008 @ 11:00pm CST
Me, Grimlock! wrote:I hope it wins just cuz of Alex Kingdom's quote. heheheheh. But Evan Almighty? I guess... granted, the movie was kind of hokey, but the animal effects were cool.

He might need some energon sauce to pour over his collection however to make it easier to digest! lol. :-P

:P
Re: Transformers Movie Still in the Running for Visual Effects Oscar (595713)
Posted by Hard Hacker on January 6th, 2008 @ 5:00am CST
They had better make Cullen go up there and do the acceptance tl;dr.
Re: Transformers Movie Still in the Running for Visual Effects Oscar (595749)
Posted by woosh on January 6th, 2008 @ 6:58am CST
Omega Charge wrote:close race.

Between TF and I Am Legend.

I really hate the fact that they didn't use real humans as those zombie things (aside from the jumping scenes).
Real humans would be much scarier.
Re: Transformers Movie Still in the Running for Visual Effects Oscar (595776)
Posted by tile_mcgillus on January 6th, 2008 @ 8:04am CST
How could Transformers not win that Oscar? Even if you didn't like the designs you have to recognize the skill and brilliance of the special effects in the movie.
Re: Transformers Movie Still in the Running for Visual Effects Oscar (595922)
Posted by Liege Evilmus on January 6th, 2008 @ 11:40am CST
By the way, everyone laughed when I said I Am Legend would get thrown in the mix.

Who's laughing now!

The Acadamy is real lazy, and I don't know if anyone else has been noticing, but more and more, awards are goint towards year end movies.

Take JUNO thats in the running and it came out what, a week before the year ended.

Now I Am Legend, artsy title, beloved actor, year end release...

I want TFs to win, but you know, these are the same people who think gay cowboys are great, so that would probably put 300 strong in the running to cause of all them naked guys...

Re: Transformers Movie Still in the Running for Visual Effects Oscar (595952)
Posted by Me, Grimlock! on January 6th, 2008 @ 12:16pm CST
Liege Evilmus wrote:Who's laughing now!

Me. I'm watching Seinfeld.

Liege Evilmus wrote:But you know what, screw it all, I'm gonna go watch Death To Smoochy then Mars Attacks.

What's wrong with Death to Smoochy? It was cool.
Re: Transformers Movie Still in the Running for Visual Effects Oscar (596015)
Posted by First-Aid on January 6th, 2008 @ 1:40pm CST
Re: Transformers Movie Still in the Running for Visual Effects Oscar (596021)
Posted by dragons on January 6th, 2008 @ 1:50pm CST
i never liked award shows like the oscars they always seemd to be rigged to me no matter who wins someone i like or dont like it will be intersting anyway to see transformers against 300 nad pirates but if award shows like this was based on hte fans deciaions it would between 300 and transformers forogt about pirates those three films without contest if was up to the fans
Re: Transformers Movie Still in the Running for Visual Effects Oscar (596060)
Posted by Sonray on January 6th, 2008 @ 2:44pm CST
Liege Evilmus wrote:

You sir, have great taste in movies!
Re: Transformers Movie Still in the Running for Visual Effects Oscar (596064)
Posted by Sonray on January 6th, 2008 @ 2:47pm CST
First-Aid wrote:It's a great special effects movie. I agree it should at least be nominated...it's really as groundbreaking Jurassic Park was, especially with the interaction between the characters and the CGI bots. Has anyone heard anything about the "Best Score" award? I truly believe that Steve Jablonsky should receive at LEAST a nomination here; it was one of the most emotionally-stirring scores I've heard in a long time...and as a music major I am qualified to say something like that.

You dont have to have a major in something to know when something is of great quality.

I'm just a joe shmoe, but i know a good musical score when i hear one and i agree with you on your statement about Jablonski's score and i (as well as anyone else with an eye for music ((joke intended)) are just as qualified to make such statements as well. :D

Theres something i don't understand though...someone said I am Legend is an "artsy" movie....it doesn't look very artsy to me by no stretch of the imagination.
Re: Transformers Movie Still in the Running for Visual Effects Oscar (596083)
Posted by Me, Grimlock! on January 6th, 2008 @ 3:16pm CST
dragons wrote:i never liked award shows like the oscars

Same here. Awards shows seem to be people just celebrating how awesome they are.

Buy "Transformers MPM-03 Movie 10th Anniversary Figure Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Ratchet Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars Blast Off Megatronus Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers RID Combiner Force Warriors Class Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers MV5 Titan Changer Megatron Action Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #268 - Call Me 2020
"Call Me 2020"
Posted: Monday, January 18th, 2021

Buy "Transformers generations Combiner Wars Skywarp" on EBAY
Buy "Vortex Decepticon Transformers Generations Fall of Cybertron 2012 Hasbro" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers RID Generations Combiner Wars Thundercracker Figure New" on EBAY
Buy "Takara Transformers Starscream Masterpiece MP-3 Figure New" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Headmaster Reissue Hardhead Chromedome Brainstorm Mindwipe Set of 4" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS GENERATIONS LOT RHINOX SOUNDWAVE DOUBLEDEALER USA HASBRO" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Jazware Zoteki Battle On Cybertron Rare Hot Toy Collectible" on EBAY