Transformers Power of the Primes Leaks, Rumours, Reveals, and More

Feel free to discuss anything about any of the thousands of Transformer toys here. Anything from Generation 1 all the way to the soon to be released, the never to be released or the hope to be released is fair game! Want to show off your stuff? Please post your's and see others in the Transformers Collections Forum.

Re: Transformers Power of the Primes Leaks, Rumours, Reveals, and More

Postby william-james88 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:42 pm

Wolfman Jake wrote:
william-james88 wrote:This is my main problem with this line. Their over arching gimmick is just aesthetic and doesnt really contribute to anything (and I dont think it looks any good when used, like on the Prime Armour :SICK: ). The Titan master were heads, thats a pretty big deal. But these prime masters dont add anything significant. They end up actually being better used on Titans return Overlord than any other toy in POTP so far.


To be fair, though, even Headmasters (Titan Masters) are really just an aesthetic gimmick for Transformers toys. It seems like a bigger deal to us now because it was a big deal for a couple of years during the G1 line. Adding a Head/Titan Master doesn't do anything but make part of the transformation process "partsforming." Swapping heads around doesn't usually look right on figures they don't originally belong to, just as strange as the "Prime Armor" accessories look slapped on Deluxe Class figures' bellies.


I agree on the point that the face swapping gimick doesnt really work well since the faces do seem to go only with the ones they come with. But I wouldnt say they are purely aesthetic. meaning that you can choose to never have the Prime Master integrate with your deluxe and voyager toys, but the Titan master is a must for any deluxe or voyager figure in robot mode. So I do see a pretty huge difference there. Plus the face swapping does work when using the Japanese continuity of having different bots pilot different bodies, or to simulate possession like with Starscream's ghost and Octane. Plus, they add a whole new layer to the transformation possibilities. By not having to hide a head in alt mode, this frees up for new methods. The best example would be with Blurr which is a transformation we couldnt have seen exactly if he had a head there. It helps to clear out a cockpit area which can then be used for the small transformed robot to pilot. It adds a lot of playability in alt mode.

So I definitely see the headmaster units as more effective and plyable and cruciual than the prime masters and it has nothing to do with my G1 nostalgia, (which doesnt exist, since I was born in 88).
If you have any news, rumours, or hot new sightings to report which you feel should be front paged,
please contact us using this form.

Image
User avatar
william-james88
News Staff
Posts: 20199
News Credits: 824
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:46 am
Buy from william-james88 on eBay

Re: Transformers Power of the Primes Leaks, Rumours, Reveals, and More

Postby Madeus Prime » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:44 pm

Motto: "Rule #45 of the Madeus Handbook: Timey wimey is an adequate term for scienc-y stuff."
I know I'm a bit late to the party, but OMG Battletrap/2 is gorgeous. They somehow perfected the Powerlinx/RID formula of combining 2 bots top/pants style.
Image
Madeus Prime art credited to SillySpringer

User avatar
Madeus Prime
City Commander
Posts: 3277
News Credits: 22
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:19 pm
Location: Spokane, WA.
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: 7
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: 10+
Rank: Infinity
Courage: 6
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: 10+

Re: Transformers Power of the Primes Leaks, Rumours, Reveals, and More

Postby Wolfman Jake » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:26 am

Motto: ""A mountain with a wolf on it stands a little taller."
-Edward Hoagland"
Weapon: Retractable Mecha-Fangs
william-james88 wrote:So now that people have the leaders, what are your thoughts on them. I personally find them both underwhelming so I am curious if I am maybe not seeing something or if people agree.

Also, currently writing a top 5 list for best Hot Rod/ Rodimus toys and I dont know if 5th place should go to Leader Rodimus or Energon Hot Rod. I am wondering which is a better toy, and I am not sure. probably the leader but he has so many flaws that I dont know if they are a bigger issue than Energon Rodimus' lack or articulation.

Same with Voyager Starscream. Lots of feedback on Grimlock, but little on his wave mate.


You are in luck, WJ88! I opened up and transformed Evolution Optimus Prime and Evolution Rodimus Prime earlier this evening!

I'll start with Evolution Optimus Prime. It's strongest mode, by far, is as Optimus Prime. He's not perfect, mind you, but he's really good enough that any improvements would be fairly small by comparison to his other modes. The sculpting is great. He looks the part, and there is a extensive amount of paint involved, despite the use of stickers for some details. Hasbro used a good gray color plastic this time, eschewing the weird "beige-gray" they were so fond of with Powermaster Optimus Prime in Titans Return. Next, I'll tackle Orion Pax. He looks really good...from the front. His back is just so obviously Optimus Prime's chest, but it's hard to think of a way that could have been hidden without having a mess of cosmetic panels to unfold like a plastic origami project to hide it all. He looks like he stepped right out of the G1 cartoon, so the sculpting is really spot on. The blue should be a little lighter, and he's missing a few tiny details from the animation model, but he's mostly correct. Honestly, I can understand the blue being darker as it's ultimately a better match to Optimus Prime's color palette. The trailer for truck mode is pretty well done, all things considered. Yeah, a lot of red plastic/paint peeks through, especially on the top and front of the trailer, but it doesn't look bad. The sticker stripes on the sides are fairly well aligned and have reasonable sculpted recesses in which they fit and don't cover up any obvious sculpting detail. It would have seemed easy to paint the back doors gray, as those would just be the bottom of Optimus' feet, but maybe it's unpaintable plastic? Regardless of those color details, the trailer gets the job done. The glaring problem with this toy overall is definitely the truck cab. There's just no way to explain away the mess that is the back half of the cab. The front looks perfect, but halfway back, it just turns into a jumbled mess of robot kibble. Here is where it would have been worth it for Hasbro designers and Takara engineers to use some "plastic origami magic" to hide that unsightly mess. Orion Pax doesn't look so great from the back, and even Optimus Prime obviously has Orion's legs folded up on his back, but at least the robot modes look good from most forward facing angles, which is how they'll be displayed. The truck cab only looks "right" from head on. Sideways, it's very bad, and that's exactly how most people would display it, because of the trailer component that completes the look. Overall, though, I like Evolution Optimus Prime as a fun Transformers toy that commemorates an old storyline from the second season of the original cartoon in an interactive, tangible form.

Next up is Evolution Rodimus Prime. His strongest mode, I believe is the "Space Winnebago" alternate mode. It's nice to finally have that form of Rodimus Prime in a big, chunky toy for the first time in the "Classics" era of Transformers. It looks pretty good, all told. The stickers aren't intrusive and work well with the sculpt, much like with Optimus Prime's trailer mode as mentioned above. There are a few little issues, like some gaps on the sides where the "Suepr Car" spoiler pokes out, or the obvious Rodimus Prime fists sticking out on the front of the trailer portion, just above the car's cabin. The next best mode, in my opinion, is actually Rodimus Prime's robot mode. He's sufficiently chunky and imposing. He really looks like a viable Autobot leader, especially standing next to Optimus Prime. I love the face sculpt, which conveys the increase in experience, wisdom, and confidence that Rodimus Prime cultivated during his tenure as "Prime." Much of the "super armor" to form Rodimus Prime is in a darker, more maroon leaning shade of red, contrasting the brighter "cherry red" that dominates more of his "unevolved" self in both robot and alternate modes. Again, this gives a nice sense of maturity in the evolution of the character and calls back to details from the original cartoon as well. It's a little bit disappointing that the Rodimus Prime arms require "partsforming," but it's understandable. Some downsides include, of course, the backpack. I'm usually pretty lenient on robot backpacks, as I understand them to be a necessity of engineering transforming toys and probably the best choice for compromise on where to stash that "extra mass" from alternate mode that the robot doesn't need. In this case, though, it does make the trademark yellow spoiler look a little strange when viewing Rodimus Prime from the back or side. There's some "gappiness" in a few areas around Rodimus Prime's torso too, and yeah, you can see the Hot Rod arms on the sides, but they also blend rather well too. They just don't seem to bother me like they do some people. I think the biggest disappointment, though, is that gap between Rodimus' neck and collar. Next up, the Super Car mode. There isn't a lot to really say here. It's Hot Rod's classic alternate mode, though and through. Nothing about it is really that special. It's been done many times before now in the "Classics" era. I might dare say, though, that this rendition is the least interesting. It's a bit blocky and the proportions are a little bit off. He's kind of "flat" top to bottom and a little wide too. Finally, that brings us to Hot Rod's robot mode. This is the weakest mode, but not really terrible. He definitely looks the part to a "T." The transformation is VERY simplistic, though. Almost the entire robot hides as the car's undercarriage. You basically just stand him up and stretch him out a bit. The robot chest is a faux piece too, which is kind of sad, as I believe all previous Hot Rods have been able to legitimately integrate the car hood into his robot mode. I do like the robot head reveal, though! Hot Rod also suffers from a rather obvious "butt flap." It does call back to the original G1 toy, but come on! It was silly then too! The butt flap is painfully obvious from ALL angles, even the front! It's not something that, from an engineering stand point, would have been that hard to fold up onto his back either. It's just a shame. I also don't like how far his "sleeves" reach over his robot mode fists. I know this has been a trend with "simplified" transformations for Transformers toys for several years now, but this is an extreme. The side panels reach out far beyond the end of the fists. You can't even see his hands from certain side angles. This would be a great update to the 2006 "Classics" Hot Rod toy, if it weren't for the fact that the Tians Return/Transformers Legend version came out in the past year or so. THAT is my definitive Hot Rod on my "Classics" display shelf now. Again, though, Evolution Rodimus Prime is a great toy and commemorates another classic story line from the original Transformers series in plastic form, letting you recreate the magic of that moment from the 1986 movie.

In a way, it is still a little sad that Takara will be releasing these figures completely unaltered from Hasbro's production versions in their own markets, meaning that some of those small little details that would make these figures even "better" (e.g., more animation accurate), won't happen. However, even Takara's knack for paint application improvements will only make the best modes of these two toys just slightly better at best and won't do anything to help some of the inherent flaws, which are mostly a matter of design and engineering budget limitations.

So, overall, my assessment of the first two Leader Class figures for Power of the Primes is thus:
They are first and foremost great toys with a lot of playability options. Secondarily, they can be good display pieces and offer a lot of different display options, though some are better than others in each individual case. These are definitely NOT Masterpieces, in any sense of the term, but they aren't "bad" figures, and they're certainly not "bad" toys. If you love Transformers at all, Evolution Optimus Prime and Evolution Rodimus Prime are not a waste of your money or time, in my honest opinion.
Wolfman Jake - Spendin' the day howlin' away.
User avatar
Wolfman Jake
Gestalt
Posts: 2174
News Credits: 4
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:22 am
Location: Maplewood, MN
Alt Mode: Wolf
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 8
Rank: 5
Courage: 9
Firepower: 2
Skill: 8

Re: Transformers Power of the Primes Leaks, Rumours, Reveals, and More

Postby bodrock » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:16 am

Motto: "Spare me this mockery of justice!"
Weapon: Heat-Seeking Laser Blasters
I always intended on picking up Optimus, but it may be hard to resist Rodimus now -- thanks for the details and thoughts, Wolfman Jake!
Transform & MEMEIFY!

WANTED: Megatron 2.0, Bludgeon, Magmatron
>GAME-ON/DANGANRONPA_V3
>PretenderQuest
bodrock
Gestalt
Posts: 2162
News Credits: 2
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:57 pm
Alt Mode: Space Gangsta
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 6
Endurance: 7
Rank: 6
Courage: 8
Firepower: 6
Skill: 9

Re: Transformers Power of the Primes Leaks, Rumours, Reveals, and More

Postby Sigma Magnus » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:00 am

Motto: "You may not like it, you may not understand it. But that does not mean it cannot exist."
Weapon: Sword
Sabrblade wrote:
Burn wrote:
Sigma Magnus wrote:As for the Prime Master gimmick...I do feel like it was a good concept. But it really should have been a Cyber Key/Mini-Con sort of thing.

Please don't say that. Those gimmicks hindered what could have been fantastic figures if they didn't have to engineer around the gimmick.
I agree about the Mini-Con activation gimmick hindering most of the Armada figures, but the Cyber Key gimmick was mostly non-intrusive for the much better articulated Cybertron figures.

Exactly. And I'm sure it could be done even better with modern engineering. It wouldn't have to be anything huge, just some pop-out guns or something small that would (hopefully) not inhibit the figure too much.
User avatar
Sigma Magnus
News Staff
Posts: 2097
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:34 pm
Location: New York
Alt Mode: Giant Head
Strength: 2
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 5
Endurance: 7
Rank: 5
Courage: 3
Firepower: 6
Skill: 6

Re: Transformers Power of the Primes Leaks, Rumours, Reveals, and More

Postby Rated X » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:20 am

Motto: ""Assumption is the mother of all screw ups.""
Weapon: Saw-Edged Pincer
william-james88 wrote:
Rated X wrote:These figures homage 1980s characters and are mostly bought by adult collectors in their 40s.


You saying these stock images from Hasbro are meant to attract adult collectors in their 40s ?

Image

Image



I dunno about you, but when I was that "kids" age, I was on the brink of chasing girls and my money was being spent on rap music cassettes. Of course that is only me and I cant speak for all 11-13 year olds. But if your going to base your opinion of whos really buying toys from a paid actor/model, your generalization isnt much better than mine.

I cant respond to every comment on here, but the consensus seems to be gang up on big bad X because hes a grumpy old kid hater who fails to realize these are toys.

I might be the only one here not afraid to sugarcoat things, but does anyone remember the Hasbro of 2006-2012 that focused most of their attention on everything except G1 homage toys?

Does anyone remember when the Generations line was called "Universe" and you were lucky if each wave got one crate in your local store compared to the 10 crates of movie, animated and Tf Prime figures aimed at "kids"?

Does anyone remember when scalping was a serious problem for generations collectors? The one crate of "Universe" figures hit your local store would get bought by an adult and sold on ebay to another adult who lived in the middle of nowhere (no offense Burn) Half of yall would come on here and bitch how your local toy store was clogged with Bumblebeee movie figures but no Generations figures in sight?

I know im talking to deaf ears, but I remember those days real well. Now all of a sudden G1 homage toys are the latest craze and Hasbro thinks every "kid" gives a crap about a 34 year old cartoon. All of a sudden kids want combiners you say? All of a sudden kids want headmasters you say? All of a sudden kids demanded a cartoon accurate Jazz (robot mode) with no wings because RTS Jazz didnt tickle their 1984 pickle? If you believe that than theres no hope for you.

Some of you collectors got kids yourself and others dont. (I dont...straight up) But for like the last 10 years all of you (including myself) have bullied Hasbro on forums and at Botcon pannels to bring back G1 accurate characters in plastic form. You told them for years: "screw what your experts think kids want, make toys for us late 30s early 40s balding geeks because we know whats best".

And now amid slumping toy sales, multiple toy selling chains filing for bankruptcy, and a 4th and 5th movie most of yall didnt support, Hasbro decides to invest in you guys....

But most of you are in denial and think they are doing this big 4 year G1 homage push for kids.

You do realize all Hasbro sees is numbers right? When was the last time any of you (scalpers included) had to fill out a survey with your age on it to buy a "Generations" themed toy?

A unit sold is a unit sold to Hasbro. Even if 50% of their stock is sitting MISB in basements around the world waiting for ebay buyers that dont exist. (but scalpers seem to think they do)

So this is where I ask you guys to take a deep breath while you scratch your bald spots and try to take it all in...

Now ask yourselves, why all of a sudden does Hasbro give a s**t about G1 accuracy?

Why all of a sudden does Hasbro give a s**t about making every obscure charaacter from a 34 year old cartoon?

Im sure every 7 year old in the world has been throwing a tantrum for the last 5 years because Moonracer never got a retail toy until now. (Or at least some of you would seem to think so based on all the "toys are for kids" comments slamming me)

How many of you are actually parents on here? I know a lot of parents on here claim they enjoy collecting Generations figures with their kids and I applaud that.

But on the flip side, how many of those kids would even know G1 existed if those collector parents didnt force feed it down their their kids throats?

Cmon son, you dont need a drone or an x-box...collecting transforming robots from a 1980s cartoon is so much cooler !!!

I hate to sound cynical, but you know a lot of that s**t goes on around in the collectors world. And its hard to deny it when many reviewers talk about their kids on the youtube videos in front of a wall full of toys in their man cave.

Of course, I could be dead wrong. Maybe kids all around the world just magically find the G1 cartoon on their own on those cell phones you say kids arent playing with. And when they discover G1, they fall in love with it so much they put down the phones, drones, and video game controllers and beg daddy to buy them Overlord so they can re-live the Japanese only cartoon in its greatest glory here in the good ol USA !!! (MAGA anyone?)

Or maybe im right and Hasbro is trying to milk the last of a dying G1 fandom before their money starts shifting towards medical expenses and saving for college tuition.

But then again, what would I know about anything? Im just some crazy guy from from Miami that trolls forums for fun, right? :-?

Nothing Rated X says makes sense. Ignore him guys...

Heaven forbid "transformation" be the gimmick. :-$

G1 homages are for kids and kids cant re-live their favorite 1980s cartoon without goofy gimmicks that sacrafice cartoon accuracy. Surely they will riot if the Dinobots dont combine and Perceptor is not a headmaster microscope. :BOOM: :BOOM: :BOOM: :BOOM: :BOOM:
Too lazy to replace photobucket...I aint paying s**t !!!
User avatar
Rated X
Matrix Keeper
Posts: 8219
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:25 pm
Location: Miami, Florida
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 2
Endurance: 10
Rank: 7
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 8

Re: Transformers Power of the Primes Leaks, Rumours, Reveals, and More

Postby TF-fan kev777 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:44 am

Rated X wrote:Nothing Rated X says makes sense. Ignore him guys...


Not quite. It would be more like, "Nothing Rated X ever says is positive, just bitching and moaning. Ignore him guys..."

See when 99.9% of your posts are not only negative, but seem to go out of your way to bash Hasbro/Takara, and now other members of the boards, I gets hard to even pay attention to you. Which is sad because many of your points have some merit. But one can't even read your points without the condescending, know-it-all attitude dripping through just about everything you post.

That is why most of the board seems to rail against your posts. It isn't your points, it is the internet-tough-guy type attidude you use in making your points. Or, not sugarcoating it as you call it, which is really just internet for acting like an a-hole.
TF-fan kev777
Targetmaster
Posts: 666
News Credits: 4
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 5:48 pm
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 8
Endurance: 10
Rank: 6
Courage: 9
Firepower: 10
Skill: 7

Re: Transformers Power of the Primes Leaks, Rumours, Reveals, and More

Postby william-james88 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:03 am

Wolfman Jake wrote:
So, overall, my assessment of the first two Leader Class figures for Power of the Primes is thus:
They are first and foremost great toys with a lot of playability options. Secondarily, they can be good display pieces and offer a lot of different display options, though some are better than others in each individual case. These are definitely NOT Masterpieces, in any sense of the term, but they aren't "bad" figures, and they're certainly not "bad" toys. If you love Transformers at all, Evolution Optimus Prime and Evolution Rodimus Prime are not a waste of your money or time, in my honest opinion.


Thanks a lot for that Jake! Do you mind if I truncate that into a paragraph for an upcoming list ?
If you have any news, rumours, or hot new sightings to report which you feel should be front paged,
please contact us using this form.

Image
User avatar
william-james88
News Staff
Posts: 20199
News Credits: 824
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:46 am
Buy from william-james88 on eBay

Re: Transformers Power of the Primes Leaks, Rumours, Reveals, and More

Postby Wolfman Jake » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:28 am

Motto: ""A mountain with a wolf on it stands a little taller."
-Edward Hoagland"
Weapon: Retractable Mecha-Fangs
bodrock wrote:I always intended on picking up Optimus, but it may be hard to resist Rodimus now -- thanks for the details and thoughts, Wolfman Jake!


You are most welcome, bodrock. :)

william-james88 wrote:
Wolfman Jake wrote:
So, overall, my assessment of the first two Leader Class figures for Power of the Primes is thus:
They are first and foremost great toys with a lot of playability options. Secondarily, they can be good display pieces and offer a lot of different display options, though some are better than others in each individual case. These are definitely NOT Masterpieces, in any sense of the term, but they aren't "bad" figures, and they're certainly not "bad" toys. If you love Transformers at all, Evolution Optimus Prime and Evolution Rodimus Prime are not a waste of your money or time, in my honest opinion.


Thanks a lot for that Jake! Do you mind if I truncate that into a paragraph for an upcoming list ?


You're welcome too, WJ88. And no, I don't mind if you quote me. :)
Wolfman Jake - Spendin' the day howlin' away.
User avatar
Wolfman Jake
Gestalt
Posts: 2174
News Credits: 4
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:22 am
Location: Maplewood, MN
Alt Mode: Wolf
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 8
Rank: 5
Courage: 9
Firepower: 2
Skill: 8

Re: Transformers Power of the Primes Leaks, Rumours, Reveals, and More

Postby william-james88 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:48 am

TF-fan kev777 wrote: Or, not sugarcoating it as you call it, which is really just internet for acting like an a-hole.

Referring to baldspots dont help either. But I dont think his post is for me since I still have a full head of lovely hair.
If you have any news, rumours, or hot new sightings to report which you feel should be front paged,
please contact us using this form.

Image
User avatar
william-james88
News Staff
Posts: 20199
News Credits: 824
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:46 am
Buy from william-james88 on eBay

Re: Transformers Power of the Primes Leaks, Rumours, Reveals, and More

Postby Hellscream9999 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:33 am

Motto: "Never forgive, never forget."
Weapon: Black Magic
Finally got Starscream yesterday, he's great, can't quite get him to turn into a jet, but that's a chore for another day, the combined mode is great, I love the robot mode, so great, I enjoyed the peudo-homage the feet add to make him look kinda like his cybertron incarnation. Which leads me to my next point, that these feet rock, the ankle tilt's are solid and I love that you can slap them on your favorite combiner like a hasbro add-on pack. Right now I;ve gto my Supreme King Starscream using the 4 :CON: jet bot's and they really bring him together, might fiddle around later with using the other parts of liokaiser on him.
*Click the pic below to see my Lego Transformers*
(Updated 3/10/17)
Image
I am not a G1 fan, please treat my opinions as such.
william-james88 wrote:If ever Sabrblade decides to go on vacation, I am glad to know we can rely on you.
User avatar
Hellscream9999
Guardian Of Seibertron
Posts: 6601
News Credits: 82
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:09 pm
Location: Alone
Alt Mode: Skeletal Dragon
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: Infinity
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: Infinity
Rank: ???
Courage: ???
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: Infinity

Re: Transformers Power of the Primes Leaks, Rumours, Reveals, and More

Postby carytheone » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:59 am

Motto: "shelf space may be fleeting, but plastic is forever"
Burn wrote:
Sigma Magnus wrote:As for the Prime Master gimmick...I do feel like it was a good concept. But it really should have been a Cyber Key/Mini-Con sort of thing.

Please don't say that. Those gimmicks hindered what could have been fantastic figures if they didn't have to engineer around the gimmick.
Transformers already have a great gimmick, they transform. I may be the only one, but that's all I ever wanted. Can't they just stop there?

Can't say I'm a huge fan of the upcycled PotP gimmicks. The 8 year old in me really likes the Prime Master power up play pattern, but the adult collector in me hates how much they stick out of the armor and such. Well at least I can get more little guys to play with my base/city bots. I also like the decoy armor just a bit more than most of the TM alt-mode/weapon sorta things. It's a fun homage I don't mind sitting on my selves. At $5 a pop, gotta catch em all!

I do think they have learned a thing or two with the new combining limb bots. The gimmick seems way less intrusive this time. The first two Dinos are spot on for my tastes. Even if Volcanicus is a floppy mess, I'm still excited to try it... once.

I'm all in for the dinos and probably not much else. Yes even Grimlock 8-}
User avatar
carytheone
Guardian Of Seibertron
Posts: 5981
News Credits: 51
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:38 pm
Location: whisky river...
Alt Mode: ...running dry

Re: Transformers Power of the Primes Leaks, Rumours, Reveals, and More

Postby Sigma Magnus » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:03 am

Motto: "You may not like it, you may not understand it. But that does not mean it cannot exist."
Weapon: Sword
carytheone wrote:
Burn wrote:
Sigma Magnus wrote:As for the Prime Master gimmick...I do feel like it was a good concept. But it really should have been a Cyber Key/Mini-Con sort of thing.

Please don't say that. Those gimmicks hindered what could have been fantastic figures if they didn't have to engineer around the gimmick.
Transformers already have a great gimmick, they transform. I may be the only one, but that's all I ever wanted. Can't they just stop there?

Somewhat agreed on that front. I'm just saying if they're gonna do a gimmick, this one could have been done better. ;)^
User avatar
Sigma Magnus
News Staff
Posts: 2097
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:34 pm
Location: New York
Alt Mode: Giant Head
Strength: 2
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 5
Endurance: 7
Rank: 5
Courage: 3
Firepower: 6
Skill: 6

Re: Transformers Power of the Primes Leaks, Rumours, Reveals, and More

Postby Skritz » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:47 am

All I'll say again is that if people badly want more show-accurate, high-end engineering toys then it's Masterpiece you have to look at because there is absolutely no way to ever make something like this function at a retail price. Now could HasTak make better figures? Oh absolutely they could but I suspect the popularity of Transformers since 2007 is mildly backfiring from having to split budget between several toylines.

But let's not pretend that people pushing a 'pure, transformation-only' shtick are generally hardcore Geewunners would would rather see the '84 Autobot Cars cast redone again. Without line-wide gimmicks there would be much less reason for Hasbro to remake things like the original Headmasters. Sure we got a Generations Voyager Brainstorm a while back but that was Thrilling 30 where they flat out and went in making all sort of weird and unique stuff from all across the franchise as a 30th anniversary celebration.

As for the gimmick-hate, I can understand, but find it highly misplaced from Geewunners given how much gimmickry that toyline had. Of course, their excuse is that the 'real G1' (anything pre-movie) had no gimmicks. Except, again, this is absolutely untrue as Combiners were introduced before the movie and are arguably the first major line-wide, non-transformation-related gimmick. Of course there are good gimmicks and bad gimmicks, but at least this isn't Armada-level of bad.

And yes, I know, again one could look at Masterpieces and Third Party figures. But my point is that this is a completely different market from mass retail figures. Anyone who is in this to be a hardcore 'adult collector' absolutely should turn to Masterpieces and Third Party. However, not everyone is willing to dive into that. Some of us also don't have the money and/or shelf space or just like to collect retail figures.
User avatar
Skritz
Fuzor
Posts: 293
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:40 am

Re: Transformers Power of the Primes Leaks, Rumours, Reveals, and More

Postby o.supreme » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:06 pm

Motto: "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes"
Skritz wrote:As for the gimmick-hate, I can understand, but find it highly misplaced from Geewunners given how much gimmickry that toyline had. Of course, their excuse is that the 'real G1' (anything pre-movie) had no gimmicks. Except, again, this is absolutely untrue as Combiners were introduced before the movie and are arguably the first major line-wide, non-transformation-related gimmick. Of course there are good gimmicks and bad gimmicks, but at least this isn't Armada-level of bad.


You make many good points, but the fact that the original Transformers line got very "gimmicky* as you say is probably what led to its downfall. Hasbro wanted to keep changing tings, making it fresh, and instead overthought the line out of existence for a time. They rode the coattails of Takara and other Japanese toy product for the better part of 2 years. In 1986 they really outdid themselves, with new charactersmany of which were promoted in TFTM, but were not too gimmiky- i.e. While Hotrod, kup & Blurr obviously did not 8fit in* with the 1984-85 Autobot cars, they were seen as futuristic, and they could have kept going with this, but instead in 1987 decided to jump on the Headmaster & TM gimmick, which is where many kids my age started to jump off. I stayed for that last year, especially because of Fort Max, but after 1987 -

1. The animated series was done,
2. The new toys (Pretenders especially) just didn't have any appeal to me, and
3. in the fall of 1988 I was 12, and starting 7th Grade. You had to *grow up* fast unfortunately for fear of ridicule.

Now of course I know you did not have to be my exact age to remember/enjoy the original Transformers. For the kids that were younger in 1988 (age 4-8) I'm not sure if these changes appealed to them or not, but with no new content on TV and another show about some turtles or some such thing ;) taking over around that time, I'm guessing the parents of those kids were spending their toy money elsewhere.

Now is that to say that if the 1987-1988 lines just stayed with the straight Transformers gimmick, that things would be different now? Probably not, but who knows. I think the lack of presence on TV was the biggest detractor. I'm still confident that Sunbow had a good 2 years left they could have made more episodes, but oh well. (And yes I'm well aware reruns were in syndication for many years afterwards, but even as kids, we knew they were not new episodes) Also I'm aware that Pretenders, Micro Master sets, and Action masters all have their fans now. But to this day, I still have no desire for most of those characters, except for those featured in the Japanese anime series. I will admit that I am getting the Prime Masters now, mostly because they are so inexpensive and have a cross-play pattern with the previous line. However if they did full-blown Pretenders today, I would nto be purchasing them.
Defender of The Ark

Wanted:
Kreon Elite Optimus Prime Canadian TRU Giveaway
TF Kreon Warriors Series 3 (Unproduced)
Kreon Soccer Bumblebee
Empty Box and packaging only UW-05 Convoy Grand Prime
Empty Box and packaging only UW-EX Lynxmaster

Botcon 2016 Build-a-figure Marvel Comics Ratchet
Botcon 2016 Build-a-figure G2 Ratchet
Botcon 2016 Build-a-figure Shattered Glass Ratchet
Botcon 2016 Build-a-figure Medix
Botcon 2016 Flash Sentry
o.supreme
Godmaster
Posts: 1925
News Credits: 11
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:03 pm
Location: Born in the Bay Area, but stuck in Sacto.
Buy from o.supreme on eBay

Re: Transformers Power of the Primes Leaks, Rumours, Reveals, and More

Postby Rated X » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:38 pm

Motto: ""Assumption is the mother of all screw ups.""
Weapon: Saw-Edged Pincer
TF-fan kev777 wrote:
Rated X wrote:Nothing Rated X says makes sense. Ignore him guys...


Not quite. It would be more like, "Nothing Rated X ever says is positive, just bitching and moaning. Ignore him guys..."

See when 99.9% of your posts are not only negative, but seem to go out of your way to bash Hasbro/Takara, and now other members of the boards, I gets hard to even pay attention to you. Which is sad because many of your points have some merit. But one can't even read your points without the condescending, know-it-all attitude dripping through just about everything you post.

That is why most of the board seems to rail against your posts. It isn't your points, it is the internet-tough-guy type attidude you use in making your points. Or, not sugarcoating it as you call it, which is really just internet for acting like an a-hole.



When saying my comments are condensing and I come off as an a-hole, I ask you this:

Are my comments any different from the leader of the free world sending out a tweet to the "little rocket man" ?

Wouldnt it be safe to say Im a product of the society where I come from, rather than accusing me of purposely trying to sound like a "tough guy"?

And it doesnt exactly help when someone tries to shove their local values and ediquite down my throat from 10,000 miles away. (Not you particularly but it has been done before)

On the flip side I appreciate you admitting I have some valid points. Thank you for that.
Too lazy to replace photobucket...I aint paying s**t !!!
User avatar
Rated X
Matrix Keeper
Posts: 8219
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:25 pm
Location: Miami, Florida
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 2
Endurance: 10
Rank: 7
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 8

Re: Transformers Power of the Primes Leaks, Rumours, Reveals, and More

Postby Rated X » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:40 pm

Motto: ""Assumption is the mother of all screw ups.""
Weapon: Saw-Edged Pincer
william-james88 wrote:
TF-fan kev777 wrote: Or, not sugarcoating it as you call it, which is really just internet for acting like an a-hole.

Referring to baldspots dont help either. But I dont think his post is for me since I still have a full head of lovely hair.

Well when I thought about 40 something year olds saying they know what kids like....the first thing that came to my mind was bald spots. I dunno why, it just did so I rolled with it.

The 4 Botcons I attended, I met plenty of really cool guys (and some not so cool ones) that had bald spots. I met a few who had full heads of hair too. But one things for sure, I met a lot of TF fans with bald spots. I cant sugarcoat that. It is what it is.
Too lazy to replace photobucket...I aint paying s**t !!!
User avatar
Rated X
Matrix Keeper
Posts: 8219
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:25 pm
Location: Miami, Florida
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 2
Endurance: 10
Rank: 7
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 8

Re: Transformers Power of the Primes Leaks, Rumours, Reveals, and More

Postby william-james88 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:48 pm

carytheone wrote:
Burn wrote:
Sigma Magnus wrote:As for the Prime Master gimmick...I do feel like it was a good concept. But it really should have been a Cyber Key/Mini-Con sort of thing.

Please don't say that. Those gimmicks hindered what could have been fantastic figures if they didn't have to engineer around the gimmick.
Transformers already have a great gimmick, they transform. I may be the only one, but that's all I ever wanted. Can't they just stop there?

Thats what they did with both the Robots in Disguise warrior class and legion class and yet fans avoided that toyline like the plague. >:oP
If you have any news, rumours, or hot new sightings to report which you feel should be front paged,
please contact us using this form.

Image
User avatar
william-james88
News Staff
Posts: 20199
News Credits: 824
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:46 am
Buy from william-james88 on eBay

Re: Transformers Power of the Primes Leaks, Rumours, Reveals, and More

Postby Rated X » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:50 pm

Motto: ""Assumption is the mother of all screw ups.""
Weapon: Saw-Edged Pincer
Skritz wrote:All I'll say again is that if people badly want more show-accurate, high-end engineering toys then it's Masterpiece you have to look at because there is absolutely no way to ever make something like this function at a retail price. Now could HasTak make better figures? Oh absolutely they could but I suspect the popularity of Transformers since 2007 is mildly backfiring from having to split budget between several toylines.

But let's not pretend that people pushing a 'pure, transformation-only' shtick are generally hardcore Geewunners would would rather see the '84 Autobot Cars cast redone again. Without line-wide gimmicks there would be much less reason for Hasbro to remake things like the original Headmasters. Sure we got a Generations Voyager Brainstorm a while back but that was Thrilling 30 where they flat out and went in making all sort of weird and unique stuff from all across the franchise as a 30th anniversary celebration.

As for the gimmick-hate, I can understand, but find it highly misplaced from Geewunners given how much gimmickry that toyline had. Of course, their excuse is that the 'real G1' (anything pre-movie) had no gimmicks. Except, again, this is absolutely untrue as Combiners were introduced before the movie and are arguably the first major line-wide, non-transformation-related gimmick. Of course there are good gimmicks and bad gimmicks, but at least this isn't Armada-level of bad.

And yes, I know, again one could look at Masterpieces and Third Party figures. But my point is that this is a completely different market from mass retail figures. Anyone who is in this to be a hardcore 'adult collector' absolutely should turn to Masterpieces and Third Party. However, not everyone is willing to dive into that. Some of us also don't have the money and/or shelf space or just like to collect retail figures.


Was the original G1 line really that gimmicky? I would have to disagree....

Not because the gimmicks werent there in the 80s, but because Hasbro didnt feel the need to make every toy in the line have the same gimmick, be it combining, headmasters, or what not. To me thats when the term "gimmick" really started having meaning. I dont recall anybody using that term in the 80s to describe any additional features certain toys did or didnt have. When you start speculating what this years "gimmick" will be thats where the problem begins. When someone feels the need to put a little seat inside of a sharticons mouth to fit a little man that gnaw doesnt even come with (US version) youve done f**d up the figure for nothing...
Too lazy to replace photobucket...I aint paying s**t !!!
User avatar
Rated X
Matrix Keeper
Posts: 8219
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:25 pm
Location: Miami, Florida
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 2
Endurance: 10
Rank: 7
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 8

Re: Transformers Power of the Primes Leaks, Rumours, Reveals, and More

Postby TF-fan kev777 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:55 pm

Rated X wrote:When saying my comments are condensing and I come off as an a-hole, I ask you this:

Are my comments any different from the leader of the free world sending out a tweet to the "little rocket man" ?


Yep, huge difference. The leader of the free world is just that a person of prominence that gets attention paid to them regardless of how they sounds. You are just some anonymous guy on the internet, as am I. Our thoughts and opinions don't have the potential to cause concerns on a global level.

Also, by all accounts, the leader of the free world is in fact an a-hole.
TF-fan kev777
Targetmaster
Posts: 666
News Credits: 4
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 5:48 pm
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 8
Endurance: 10
Rank: 6
Courage: 9
Firepower: 10
Skill: 7

Re: Transformers Power of the Primes Leaks, Rumours, Reveals, and More

Postby o.supreme » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:56 pm

Motto: "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes"
william-james88 wrote:Thats what they did with both the Robots in Disguise warrior class and legion class and yet fans avoided that toyline like the plague. >:oP


I avoided RiD15 because the toys to me seemed cheap (my son had some mini-cons and Deployers and the quality/detail was just not-the-same as Generations). Also it was based on a mediocre at best animated series. I was midly excited for the Combiner Force, but when I saw Ultra-Bee & Menasor were basically happy-meal toy level toys, YES I avoided them like the plague.
Defender of The Ark

Wanted:
Kreon Elite Optimus Prime Canadian TRU Giveaway
TF Kreon Warriors Series 3 (Unproduced)
Kreon Soccer Bumblebee
Empty Box and packaging only UW-05 Convoy Grand Prime
Empty Box and packaging only UW-EX Lynxmaster

Botcon 2016 Build-a-figure Marvel Comics Ratchet
Botcon 2016 Build-a-figure G2 Ratchet
Botcon 2016 Build-a-figure Shattered Glass Ratchet
Botcon 2016 Build-a-figure Medix
Botcon 2016 Flash Sentry
o.supreme
Godmaster
Posts: 1925
News Credits: 11
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:03 pm
Location: Born in the Bay Area, but stuck in Sacto.
Buy from o.supreme on eBay

Re: Transformers Power of the Primes Leaks, Rumours, Reveals, and More

Postby RodimusConvoy13 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:59 pm

Motto: "Well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas, stabbing a man in the middle of the park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards! That's MY policy!"
Weapon: Photon Blaster
Rated X wrote:
TF-fan kev777 wrote:
Rated X wrote:Nothing Rated X says makes sense. Ignore him guys...


Not quite. It would be more like, "Nothing Rated X ever says is positive, just bitching and moaning. Ignore him guys..."

See when 99.9% of your posts are not only negative, but seem to go out of your way to bash Hasbro/Takara, and now other members of the boards, I gets hard to even pay attention to you. Which is sad because many of your points have some merit. But one can't even read your points without the condescending, know-it-all attitude dripping through just about everything you post.

That is why most of the board seems to rail against your posts. It isn't your points, it is the internet-tough-guy type attidude you use in making your points. Or, not sugarcoating it as you call it, which is really just internet for acting like an a-hole.



When saying my comments are condensing and I come off as an a-hole, I ask you this:

Are my comments any different from the leader of the free world sending out a tweet to the "little rocket man" ?

Wouldnt it be safe to say Im a product of the society where I come from, rather than accusing me of purposely trying to sound like a "tough guy"?

And it doesnt exactly help when someone tries to shove their local values and ediquite down my throat from 10,000 miles away. (Not you particularly but it has been done before)

On the flip side I appreciate you admitting I have some valid points. Thank you for that.


Really? President Trump does it so it's ok that I do it? What are you, 2 years old?

Your comments are condescending and you do come off as an A-hole. You honestly come across as someone who doesn't like current/modern day transformers anymore and doesn't want anyone else to like them either. And no, I'm not someone trying to push my "local" values and etiquette down your throat from 10000 miles away. So it's not just "foreigners" who get sick of your extremely negative posts.
"One of them even took the time to smear, “Fans are TeH SUCK!!!” in poop all over my windshield!"

Counterpunch
User avatar
RodimusConvoy13
City Commander
Posts: 3085
News Credits: 32
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:06 pm
Location: Saline, MI
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 7
Endurance: 8
Rank: 7
Courage: 6
Firepower: 7
Skill: 8

Re: Transformers Power of the Primes Leaks, Rumours, Reveals, and More

Postby Hellscream9999 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:04 pm

Motto: "Never forgive, never forget."
Weapon: Black Magic
o.supreme wrote:
william-james88 wrote:Thats what they did with both the Robots in Disguise warrior class and legion class and yet fans avoided that toyline like the plague. >:oP


I avoided RiD15 because the toys to me seemed cheap (my son had some mini-cons and Deployers and the quality/detail was just not-the-same as Generations). Also it was based on a mediocre at best animated series. I was midly excited for the Combiner Force, but when I saw Ultra-Bee & Menasor were basically happy-meal toy level toys, YES I avoided them like the plague.

That's a shame, you missed out on some serious gems. The deluxe figures are really solid too, I can't speak for everything/everyone, but I think that their quality far surpassed the generations figures, nice and solid chunky plastic, solid designs, minimal to no qc issues, creative transformations, they are awesome. If you're still luke warm to them, I'd say try out Fracture if you can find him, that or maybe bludgeon might be a good entry point, as mine was megatronus, and he's an amazing solid, fun figure.
*Click the pic below to see my Lego Transformers*
(Updated 3/10/17)
Image
I am not a G1 fan, please treat my opinions as such.
william-james88 wrote:If ever Sabrblade decides to go on vacation, I am glad to know we can rely on you.
User avatar
Hellscream9999
Guardian Of Seibertron
Posts: 6601
News Credits: 82
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:09 pm
Location: Alone
Alt Mode: Skeletal Dragon
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: Infinity
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: Infinity
Rank: ???
Courage: ???
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: Infinity

Re: Transformers Power of the Primes Leaks, Rumours, Reveals, and More

Postby Lunatic Prime » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:09 pm

Motto: "To 'cons I'm annoying like a horde of Scraplets."
Weapon: Cyber Tail Claw
Micronus Broadside
Attachments
InkedIMG_20180103_195636440.jpg
User avatar
Lunatic Prime
Combiner
Posts: 412
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:53 pm
Location: Animatron
Watch Lunatic Prime on YouTube
Buy from Lunatic Prime on eBay
Alt Mode: Triplechanger - dragon and giant monowheel
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 9
Endurance: 7
Rank: 5
Courage: 6
Firepower: 7
Skill: 10+

Re: Transformers Power of the Primes Leaks, Rumours, Reveals, and More

Postby o.supreme » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:16 pm

Motto: "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes"
Hellscream9999 wrote:I'd say try out Fracture if you can find him, that or maybe bludgeon might be a good entry point, as mine was megatronus, and he's an amazing solid, fun figure.


My son has the Deployer Fracture, I was not impressed. It's just not my line. I have no ties to most of the characters in this line whether seen in the show or not. But the same could probably be said for TF Prime. As amazing as that show was, even if I was collecting toys at the time, I probably would not have purchased any of them. For a short time, my son wanted all the RiD mini-cons, but when Hasbro royally screwed up their distribution beyond wave 2, that all pretty much came to an end, I'm not paying scalper prices for little $5 transforming balls. Additionally, its looking early on that Cyberverse wont offer me anything either. I don't want to jump the gun, but The only reason why I came back after 10 years of no collecting was Combiner Wars. The entire Prime Wars trilogy has been a real joy, along with some frustrations. if it all comes to an end after this so be it. It may take a few years at any rate to catch up on some of the special items released in these lines I was unable to purchase initially.
Defender of The Ark

Wanted:
Kreon Elite Optimus Prime Canadian TRU Giveaway
TF Kreon Warriors Series 3 (Unproduced)
Kreon Soccer Bumblebee
Empty Box and packaging only UW-05 Convoy Grand Prime
Empty Box and packaging only UW-EX Lynxmaster

Botcon 2016 Build-a-figure Marvel Comics Ratchet
Botcon 2016 Build-a-figure G2 Ratchet
Botcon 2016 Build-a-figure Shattered Glass Ratchet
Botcon 2016 Build-a-figure Medix
Botcon 2016 Flash Sentry
o.supreme
Godmaster
Posts: 1925
News Credits: 11
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:03 pm
Location: Born in the Bay Area, but stuck in Sacto.
Buy from o.supreme on eBay

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers Toys Discussion

Transformers products from AMAZON

Featured Products

Buy "Transformers Robots in Disguise Warrior Class Strongarm Figure" on AMAZON
You save: 61%
Buy "Transformers Generations Voyager Class Roadbuster Figure" on AMAZON
You save: 40%
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Sergeant Kup and Flintlock" on AMAZON
You save: 26%
Buy "Transformers: Robots in Disguise Combiner Force Legion Autobot Twinferno" on AMAZON
You save: 22%
Buy "Playskool Heroes Transformers Rescue Bots Optimus Prime Racing Trailer" on AMAZON
You save: 22%
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight -- Knight Armor Turbo Changer Grimlock" on AMAZON
You save: 22%
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #192 - Transformers vs. Impropriety
Twincast / Podcast #192:
"Transformers vs. Impropriety"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Sunday, January 14th, 2018
Transformers products from EBAY

Items Ending Soon