This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Sadly OS has left us, I'll be picking up the slack

Discuss the Heavy Metal War game, report bugs, challenge opponents, and talk some smack! Play the Heavy Metal War game here.

Sadly OS has left us, I'll be picking up the slack

Postby Mkall » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:49 pm

Weapon: Twin Sonic Cannons
It's official. As of yesterday evening Omega Sentinel has tendered his resignation as programmer of HMW. It is a very sad time as he did more for this game in the 9 months as programmer as anyone has done in the past 5 years of its existence.

OS left for two reasons. The first was real life work has him working 60-80 hours a week and add on HMW coding, he found it difficult to spend time with his wife and friends. The other reason was that he wasn't used to the community here, and the drama that can be generated on here from time to time killed the fun that he saw in this game. We are sad to see you leave OS, but you're always welcome to come back.

But like everything, life goes on. HMW isn't in a state where it can be left to be self-sufficient, so I've volunteered to pick up the code and Ryan has agreed to do so. So as of tonight, I'll be the new HMW programmer.

First off, my qualifications: I have a Bachelor of Computer Science and am familiar with several computer languages: Pascal, Java, C, UNIX Shell, C++ and VisualBasic.NET. At this point, I'm just beginning to learn PHP, but it seems that it's very similar to Java so I should pick that up all right. I'm not a programmer by trade, and have picked this up out of a) a desire to further contribute, b) a chance to learn and c) out of necessity. I don't want v2 to be a pipe dream; I want it to be a reality.

My life isn't as hectic as Glyph's or OS's. I work on a 4 day on/4 day off schedule, which means that every 8 days, I should have some progress made. After I finally get into the swing of things, I'll most likely start a blog on site somewhere so you guys aren't kept in the dark as to what's going on.

As for various things that I'm going to do:
--For the most part, I'll be keeping OS's vision of v2; a warmap with 4 factions fighting for dominance. There are some details that I'll change, but for the most part things will be as OS intended.
--First thing I want to do is give love to the maximals and predacons. This means setting them up with missions, altmodes and give new players the ability to choose those factions upon startup
--Get the HMW admin panel fully finished and functional, and then figure out how to outsource parts of it to other non-staff members (mission creation, mini games, front page advertising etc.)
--Minicons will return, as will Quintessons and maybe some other NPC missions.
--I didn't like the idea of robot modes boosting stats. I'll work on restoring them, but there will be no benefit to them at this time. They'll be purely eye candy.
--Subfactions: I'm not keen of turning HMW into a purely clan-based game, but I'm not going to marginalize those that exist either. I'm not sure yet what I want to do, but I'll think of something, after getting input from all subfactions of course. Naturally I'll make sure that your forums will actually work in phpbv3.
--I want to add features right: Triplechangers for example should allow a player to choose between two of ANY altmodes that they have available, not be set in stone as previously previewed. Yes this means that they may take some time to figure out but I would hope that the results will be worth it.
--Sure, I'll bring back Goribus, just as soon as I get access and figure out how.
--I like Glyph's idea of victory points, and will look into adding Lucky's and Glyph's Ranks/Awards. Of course this means I'll have to find someone willing to make some for the Maxs/Preds, but that'll come in time.

Since I'm just starting out, I will be ignoring most of the PMs that come in requesting side changes, extra xp, etc. If there's a real glitch with your team, I'll check it out. Please don't pester me on MSN/YIM/email about them either as the end result will be the same. The more of my time you waste tending to your personal wants, the less time I'll have working towards the betterment of the game as a whole.

The bottom line is this: I'm not leaving. I won't be as fast as OS so please don't expect change to come overnight. Rest assured that I want v2 here as much as every one of you so it will come.

Discord: Mkall#0376

My Collection! Updated Oct 21, 2022
Mkall
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 402
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 6
Endurance: 6
Courage: 8
Firepower: 6
Skill: 10

Re: OS is gone, long live Mkall

Postby -Soundwave- » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:56 pm

Motto: ""Cries and screams are music to my Audios.""
Weapon: Shoulder Mounted Rocket Launcher
Well he had to do what he had to do, Good luck Mkall if I can do something let me know please.
Amalgamated Pretense Join the WAR! Be a HERO!
-Soundwave-
Gestalt
News Credits: 2
Alt Mode: Cassette Deck
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 9
Endurance: 2
Courage: 6
Firepower: 9
Skill: 6

Postby Dragonslayer » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:58 pm

Motto: "Howdy, dammit!"
Weapon: Photon Blaster
I'm sorry to hear about OS. But it is the order of things, for the greater good. Good luck to you Mkall. I'm sure you'll do fine :D
Wingz wrote:His servos bring all Naval Strikes 'Cons to the yard
Dragonslayer
Gestalt
News Credits: 7
Alt Mode: Classified
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 7
Endurance: 4
Courage: 9
Firepower: 4
Skill: 7

Postby Seibertron » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:05 pm

Motto: "'Til All Are One!"
Weapon: Twin Shock-Concussion Missiles
Thanks for posting this announcement to the community so quickly, Mkall. I am happy to have you onboard and will miss our good friend Omega Sentinel. Hopefully he will continue to be part of this community ... he was a great addition to the history of HMW. I fully understand that life can get in the way ... as many of you have noticed has happened to me as well during the past 6 months.

Welcome aboard, Mkall. I'm looking forward to this next phase in the evolution of HMW.

Ryan
Seibertron
Site Owner
News Credits: 3554
Watch Seibertron on YouTube
Buy from Seibertron on eBay
Alt Mode: Supersonic Cybertronian Jet
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 9
Endurance: 9
Firepower: 5
Skill: 10+

Postby Symbiote Spiderman14 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:11 pm

Motto: "mmmm Juicy"
Weapon: Variable-Caliber Machine Guns
good luck Mkall we are here if you need us.
Symbiote Spiderman14
Tripredacus Councilor
News Credits: 1
Strength: 10+
Speed: 10
Endurance: 8
Firepower: 9

Postby Omega Charge » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:20 pm

Motto: "Nothing. What's the motto with you?"
Weapon: Metal-slashing Claw
Oh wow...

Long Live Mkall! This game should move foward like never before, go get em'!

And good luck.
Omega Charge
Guardian Of Seibertron
Intelligence: 6
Endurance: 9
Firepower: 7

Postby Burn » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:21 pm

Motto: "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings to randomly click things in the Admin Panel to see what it breaks."
So ... I can't have an xp boost then?
Burn
Forum Admin
News Credits: 226

Postby Chaoslock » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:46 pm

Weapon: Reciprocating Laser Cannon
Interesting turn of events... RL happens.

Good luck, MKALL!
GENERATION 1: THE EPIC ORIGINS! -Hasbro

"Autobots, Buster Witwicky killed Primus. Kill on sight!" - broadcast from Urban Dead

Psychout wrote:Never, ever take the internet seriously, especially not when its on a website dedicated to giant cartoon robots from outer space.
Chaoslock
Faction Commander
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: Infinity

Postby Shadow Dragon » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:49 pm

Good luck Mkall, if you get stuck with PHP let me know and I can point you in the right direction. You know my MSN.
Hate the players, love the game.
Shadow Dragon
Pretender

Postby Tifereth » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:01 pm

Good luck :)
Vergil ;).
Tifereth
Godmaster

Postby mazingaspidey » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:06 pm

Weapon: Black Magic
Well it's sad to see OS go, the last few months have truly gotten me back into this game after taking several years off, but he has to do what he has to do. I'm sure Mkall will not let us down! Thanks for picking up the pieces Mkall!
mazingaspidey
Targetmaster
Buy from mazingaspidey on eBay

Re: Sadly OS has left us, I'll be picking up the slack

Postby kuzzy » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:08 pm

well its sad to see the maker of hmw leave, he created the game ( i think) and made it work and for a young programer like me its something i can respect.
kuzzy
Minibot

Postby Burn » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:10 pm

Motto: "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings to randomly click things in the Admin Panel to see what it breaks."
kuzzy wrote:well its sad to see the maker of hmw leave, he created the game ( i think)

He didn't. OS came on board after the game had been going for a few years.
Burn
Forum Admin

Postby Chaoslock » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:11 pm

Weapon: Reciprocating Laser Cannon
kuzzy wrote:well its sad to see the maker of hmw leave, he created the game ( i think) and made it work and for a young programer like me its something i can respect.

Nope, I think he was at least the third progammer, I don't remember the first one, but the programmer before Omega was a guy named Glyph.
GENERATION 1: THE EPIC ORIGINS! -Hasbro

"Autobots, Buster Witwicky killed Primus. Kill on sight!" - broadcast from Urban Dead

Psychout wrote:Never, ever take the internet seriously, especially not when its on a website dedicated to giant cartoon robots from outer space.
Chaoslock
Faction Commander
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: Infinity

Postby kuzzy » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:19 pm

Chaoslock wrote:
kuzzy wrote:well its sad to see the maker of hmw leave, he created the game ( i think) and made it work and for a young programer like me its something i can respect.

Nope, I think he was at least the third progammer, I don't remember the first one, but the programmer before Omega was a guy named Glyph.

glyph ay do you know if he was good?
kuzzy
Minibot

Postby Burn » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:43 pm

They've all been good in their own little ways.
Burn
Forum Admin

Postby Waylander » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:26 am

Motto: ""Leaders are visionaries with a poorly developed sense of fear and no concept of the odds against them.""
so the Alt God,Becomes the HMW God,could not happen to a nicer guy.
I wish you well good Sir.

Ribbons
i have made a lot of ribbons in the past for a few games,and dabbled in some in this one for a few sub-factions,if you could make a topic,or post here the size/requirements and such,i am sure a few others can make them quite fast as well.
i would post my work,offer my services but i have some medical issues that will make me AFK for 6 weeks plus starting on the 2nd.
and i have no free time before hand. but i am sure you are able to see some of my work in the RDD forum. making ribbons for me is very easy,-mil background/mil family-and if i can help out when i get back i will,but that will not be till mid April,maybe sooner,but that is not up to me.
Waylander
Combiner
Speed: 8
Endurance: 6

Postby Methusalen » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:09 am

Motto: ""Not good enough for G1!""
Mkall, I applaud you for 'stepping up to the plate' to continue to move HMW further toward it's goal of V.2! I'm sure if you need help with anything, you have the resources at hand to help you out... I've talked to & seen the ribbons that Waylander is speaking about, and think they're a pretty neat idea. -And of course Sustain's skills with the previous HMW tournaments!

Good luck, and I hope your inbox isn't already full of people asking for 'favors'! :lol:
Methusalen out...
Methusalen
Combiner
News Credits: 38

Postby neliz » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:52 am

Thanks MKall.

Hope you can bring HMW truly to the next level and curious to find out what you've got cooking up there.

Glad you decided to join up.
All in a friendly way of course!

Million XP Club Member
neliz
Godmaster

Postby Vampir » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:16 am

Don't worry about your pace, all that matters is that it's going forward :D
Vampir
Transmetal Warrior
News Credits: 1

Postby Judge Chuckachu » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:00 am

Weapon: Diamond-Tipped Titanium-Alloy Destruction Drill
OS will be missed, I haven't been playing here very long but I have been excited with the changes he proposed. I don't know MK very well but from the board chatter with him and others i think it'll be fun to see a rather fair minded person remain in control. I hope that OS can pop in occasionally as a player thoug.
Judge Chuckachu
Minibot
Strength: 6
Speed: 5
Endurance: 4
Courage: 5
Firepower: 5

Postby Psychout » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:04 am

Motto: "This post clearly was meant to offend, and if you are affected by it in any way please close your browser and discuss it with someone who knows not to take the internet seriously."
Weapon: Black Magic
Vampir wrote:Don't worry about your pace, all that matters is that it's going forward :D

Well said Vampir!

Mkall, I love your vision of the game's future apart from the animal-love bit, that just sounds wrong.

Dive in dude, were all behind you.
“I like to think that my arrogance, impetuosity,
impatience, selfishness and greed are the qualities
that make me the lovable chap I am.”
Psychout
HMW Moderator
News Credits: 42
Alt Mode: Cassette. The 80s ROCKED
Strength: 1
Intelligence: 1
Speed: 1
Endurance: 1
Courage: 1
Firepower: 1

Postby Edgecrusher » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:08 am

Big yay for Mk big nay for OS
Edgecrusher
Combiner

Postby cocuutje » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:34 am

Work your magic Mkall!!!!
Commander of the Dutch Aerialbots
"For the pride of our alliance"
cocuutje
Micromaster

Next

Return to Heavy Metal War Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #5 2nd ptg Cvr A Bitterness Image Comics 2023 1023IM898 (CA) Howard"
VOID RIVALS #5 2nd ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #39 Cvr B IDW Comics 2022 NOV210456 39B (CA) Simone"
TRANSFORMERS #39 C ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #24 Marvel Comics 1987 (CA) Trimpe (W) Budiansky 220622A"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers ROBOTS IN DISGUISE #31 IDW Comics 2014 (CA) Griffith (W) Barber"
Transformers ROBOT ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DUKE #1 Cvr F 1:100 Image Comics 2023 1F GI JOE 1023IM264 (CA) Jonboy 231222B"
DUKE #1 Cvr F 1:10 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers Best of ARCEE #1 IDW Comics 2022 JUL221657 (CA) Biggie"
Transformers Best ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #5 3rd ptg Image Comics 2024 1123IM894 (CA) Flaviano (W) Kirkman"
VOID RIVALS #5 3rd ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers My Little Pony MAGIC OF CYBERTRON #1 RI-A 1:10 IDW Comics 2021 1RIA"
Transformers My Li ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers Best of OPTIMUS PRIME #1 IDW Comics 2022 NOV210461 (CA) Biggie"
Transformers Best ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #45 Marvel Comics 1988 (W/CA) Budiansky (A) Delbo 231208C"
NEW!
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers Best of BEASTS #1 IDW Comics 2022 MAY221564 (CA) Biggie"
Transformers Best ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #42 Cvr A IDW Comics 2022 FEB220434 42A (CA) Shepherd"
TRANSFORMERS #42 C ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers LAST BOT STANDING #2 Cvr A IDW Comics 2022 APR221597 2A (CA) Roche"
Transformers LAST ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers KING GRIMLOCK #4 Cvr A IDW Comics 2021 SEP210484 4A (CA) Wilkins"
Transformers KING ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #348 - Uno
Twincast / Podcast #348:
"Uno"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 20th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers MPM04 Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Battleslash" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Toys Optimus Prime Cyberverse Ultimate Class Action Figure - Repeatable Matrix Mega Shot Action Attack Move - Toys for Kids 6 & Up, 11.5"" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Stryker 1 Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee Movie Toys, Energon Igniters Nitro Bumblebee Action Figure - Included Core Powers Driving Action - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 7-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 10 Deluxe Class Movie 1 Autobot Jazz" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Sludge" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Acid Storm" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Legends Class Autobot Stripes" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Liege Maximo Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 02 Deluxe Class Movie 3 Decepticon Stinger" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Cyberverse Ultra Class Starscream" on AMAZON