This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Twincast / Podcast Episode #174 "Autobot Jedi Newtypes"

There is more to Transformers than movies, cartoons, comics and toys. Discuss anything else Transformers here.

Twincast / Podcast Episode #174 "Autobot Jedi Newtypes"

Postby ScottyP » Sun May 07, 2017 12:16 pm

Weapon: Battle Blades
Welcome to the latest episode of the Seibertron.com Twincast / Podcast! This episode features your host ScottyP cutting loose with Megatronus and Seibertron on this, that, the other, and Transformers, too. Buckle up for a journey because this one goes to several points on your map without looking back.

Episode #174 "Autobot Jedi Newtypes" is available directly and in our RSS Feed, and should appear on iTunes, Google Play, and Stitcher Radio within 24 to 48 hours of when you see this news post.

Yes, that's right, the Seibertron.com Twincast/Podcast is now available on Google Play! Be sure to subscribe today if this is your podcast platform of choice.

Some of your Revenge of the Fallen toys, like Bludgeon and Demolishor, are screwed. Melt your time away as you listen to a terrible explanation of what's happening, then come back here and take a look at the scourge of "Plasticizer Migration". Yes, that's science. They're screwed, sorry!

Transformers Revenge of the Fallen Bludgeon Gallery
But if it melts, is that more IDW accurate?

Our attention then turns to the recently launched toy line-up for the forthcoming Transformers: The Last Knight. With several toys in hand, we first turn our attention to this latest rendition of Barricade. This Deluxe Class standout protects, punishes, serves, and enslaves our attention. We chat about the unlisted "riot shield" feature, other quirks of the mold, and more!

Keep calm and just end this meme already, please.

We don't stay there for long, because there's fun all over the universe to talk about. A short history lesson on Rom (The Space Knight) kicks off some further discussions that range from anecdotes on G1 Ultra Magnus, to Marvel UK, Death's Head, and even Marvel Legends. The agenda gets tossed in the garbage as we kick back and just have a good time talking about whatever's on our minds.

Yeah you better watch out, 1987!

Eventually, the train gets back on the rails and the show segues into last week's excellent Till All Are One #9. Windblade's condition is ominous but the ultimate outcome looks to be somewhat spoiled, but that doesn't stop us from praising the other excellent parts of the book. These include the absolutely brilliant work going on with Starscream, as well as the continued introduction of the story of The Thirteen within the IDW Transformers Universe.

We'll take all your compliments.

Optimus Prime #6 comes up next, as the first story arc of the comic comes to its conclusion. Megatronus and Scotty P look into things such as Prime's decisions, precise points of climax (stop giggling), and what effect things here may have on the wider IDW Hasbro Universe. There's also some quick look at Wrath of Karza, plus a glance to other upcoming events such as First Strike.

But Plasticizer Migration can stop anytime it wants.

Eventually we do get back around to The Last Knight toys, with the other new mold/standout from the initial launch discussed in Voyager Class Optimus Prime. There's also speculation about the differences between the Takara and Hasbro product lines for this movie, and whether or not "differences" is the right word. Will you be the one to take the plunge and let the world know what's the same and what isn't? If you're smart, probably not, but if you do know of any reasons for your fellow fans to double-dip, why not leave a comment about it by replying to this post?

The latest way to chew bubblegum and take faces.

Things then get a little... cute? That's right, the Tiny Turbo Changers are here to brighten your day. Or are they just really angry? Grab your blind bags and hold on as we pick out our favorites based on their cute-factor and take a short look ahead to Series Two in this super かわいい segment!

Welcome to your doom! It's very cute and cozy in here.

Masterpiece figures for the Movies are moving full steam ahead, with Optimus Prime joining the ranks very soon. With the official reveal behind us, the crew ruminates on whether or not the stock photography is an effective indication of what to expect - the toy is clearly mis-transformed, but just how badly? It all comes down to blaming interns, probably Kevin. Kevin wasn't the star of the intern class, ok, but he tries hard and makes some mean french toast so we'll let this mistake slide like short smokestacks.

Meet the new design, same as the old design?

We then go very, very far out off-topic, but after some remarks about Game of Thrones, Star Wars, and even Mobile Suit Gundam, things come back around to Transformers and in particular, the live action films. Just what do we want to see out of these characters? How have the recent movies tackled it, and has the series ever gotten it right? While you listen in, be sure to also check out Counterpunch's thought provoking prompt in this thread on our Energon Pub Forums!

There's more to characters than their mere existence.

The show closes out with the Twincast freestyle, but with all the free-styling that's already happened, it really just ends up being "Bragging Rights" for the first time in a while. Podcasters buying things from other podcasters? Yeah, basically. That happened thanks to the magic of eBay bucks.

No orange plug required, just a big orange barrel.

We'll be back soon for more Transformers talk. Be sure to let us know what you thought of this episode by replying to this post. If you enjoyed the show, it always helps us out if you share a link to it on social media - don't forget the hashtags #Twincast and #Transformers when you do!

| Love us? Hate us? Extra Super Love us? Drop us a review on iTunes. |
| Want to keep the discussion going? You can do so by simply replying to this post! |
| Got a question for the Twincast? Ask the Twincast. |
Listen to me ramble about robots on the Seibertron.com Twincast / Podcast
ScottyP
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 637
Buy from ScottyP on eBay

Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #174 "Autobot Jedi Newtypes"

Postby Big Grim » Tue May 09, 2017 7:27 am

Weapon: Galaxial Rocket Launcher
Downloading now but had to say the header image on the homepage was one of my fave Marvel UK covers. Geoff Senior was THE TF artist when I was a kid. His Megatron, Galvatron and Cyclonus rocked. And the man designed Death's Head! Had the pleasure of meeting him at an Auto Assembly years ago and got two prints of DH from him there, signed. Still got one of them. One of my buddies was not able to get to him in time and missed out so I gave him one of them.

Man, Death's Head rocks. Surely everyone's freelance peacekeeping agent. For certain financial remuneration, yes?
Big Grim
Headmaster
News Credits: 148

Postby ArmadaPrime » Tue May 09, 2017 11:49 am

Weapon: Requiem Blaster
Only had chance to listen to the first half hour-ish of the cast so far, but are there any pics floating about of this whole plastic melting business? I've been hearing about it for a couple days but not been able to hunt down any pictures to see what the damage is actually like.
(Currently racking my brains as to whether I've got any figures that would fall victim to it- the most soft plastic I can recall on any of mine are those flipping annoying dreadlocks on DOTM Crankcase)
Certified Expert™ in reading wikis to pretend I know more about things than I actually do
ArmadaPrime
Brainmaster
News Credits: 3

Postby ScottyP » Tue May 09, 2017 10:07 pm

ArmadaPrime wrote:Only had chance to listen to the first half hour-ish of the cast so far, but are there any pics floating about of this whole plastic melting business? I've been hearing about it for a couple days but not been able to hunt down any pictures to see what the damage is actually like.
(Currently racking my brains as to whether I've got any figures that would fall victim to it- the most soft plastic I can recall on any of mine are those flipping annoying dreadlocks on DOTM Crankcase)
I should get on this. If no one else has done so, I'll drag out all the camera equipment over the weekend and try to document what's up. Been wanting to get that out anyway for some fun stuff :)
ScottyP
Guardian Of Seibertron
Buy from ScottyP on eBay

Postby Va'al » Thu May 11, 2017 3:54 am

Motto: "Till All Are Pun!"
Haven't finished yet, but have some comments before I forget!

On Barricade's motto change - I have a theory that makes sense to me, but am not sure how necessarily socially cued the entire TLK team might be (they seem to be doing 'ok' on a basic level so far, diversity and inclusiveness-wise): To Punish and Enslave on a police vehicle after the increase in police violence and reactions in the US may not send the best message to kids or parents or people who are part of the groups that are on the receiving end of said behaviour. The social meets the financial: if you are tone-deaf to current issues in your marketing, it won't work amazingly for your brand/product (ask Pepsi).

That said, the Keep Calm meme is most definitely an attempt to 'be cool' and 'down with the kids', just a couple memecycles too late. They tried, I suppose!

As for comics stuff so far:

I really like listening to Seibertron praise Roberts and the Classics UK stuff, and all the conversations that the three of you were having about Marvel UK was, as it always is, fascinating and fun. Nicely swerved!
Va'al
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 6188
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby RodimusConvoy13 » Thu May 11, 2017 8:05 am

Motto: "Well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas, stabbing a man in the middle of the park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards! That's MY policy!"
Weapon: Photon Blaster
I also haven't finished the episode yet, but wanted to chime in.

One, I really haven't brought up the epic Darth Vader scene from Rogue One yet? Wow, I'm slipping.

Two, having to do with Movie continuity. If "they've been here a long, long time"(sorry, X-Files line. Had to quote it), then how does that reconcile with MBE-1, Sector 7, Hoover Dam, etc. It makes no sense that they fought in WWI or WWII and no one knew when they already had Megatron and the All Spark sealed in Hoover Dam. Or am I just not supposed to think about all that?

Trying not to think about who my ROTF Bludgeon may be touching in my giant bin of transformers in my parents basement.... :shock:
"One of them even took the time to smear, “Fans are TeH SUCK!!!” in poop all over my windshield!"

Counterpunch
RodimusConvoy13
Gestalt
News Credits: 194
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 7
Endurance: 8
Courage: 6
Firepower: 7
Skill: 8

Postby Big Grim » Thu May 11, 2017 9:53 am

Va'al wrote:I really like listening to Seibertron praise Roberts and the Classics UK stuff, and all the conversations that the three of you were having about Marvel UK was, as it always is, fascinating and fun. Nicely swerved!

Being a Brit I find it pretty interesting as well, having grown up with it. And yeah, our newsagent's always wrote our name on the top right corner of the cover.
Big Grim
Headmaster

Postby Va'al » Thu May 11, 2017 12:24 pm

Big Grim wrote:
Va'al wrote:I really like listening to Seibertron praise Roberts and the Classics UK stuff, and all the conversations that the three of you were having about Marvel UK was, as it always is, fascinating and fun. Nicely swerved!

Being a Brit I find it pretty interesting as well, having grown up with it. And yeah, our newsagent's always wrote our name on the top right corner of the cover.

Same! All my Beano and Dandy comics have my aunt's name on them, she'd send them over to Italy every other month or so. :D
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby Big Grim » Fri May 12, 2017 8:06 am

Va'al wrote:Same! All my Beano and Dandy comics have my aunt's name on them, she'd send them over to Italy every other month or so. :D

Yup! I used to get the Beano too! My Dad was in the Forces and he came back from deployment in Cyprus with an enormous box full of older issues of the Beano and even some Dandy and Whizzer and Chips! Spent weeks reading through them all. Had a lot of the arc where Gnasher went missing!

God I'm old.
Big Grim
Headmaster

Postby Va'al » Fri May 12, 2017 11:18 am

Caught up on the rest (yay for commuting to hospitals?) and have a bunch of comments in no real order:

- Broptimus Prime.

- TAAO is very good, and has definitely taken over LL for me.

- Hearing ScottyP squeal excitedly over Gundam stuff is adorable.

- Megatronus' jingle song at the Pretender figure was excellent. Worthy of bill wurtz.

That is all, good episode! :D
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby Daniel Adkins » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:28 pm

Just a quick history lesson from a diehard ROM fan: The Dire Wraiths were NOT invented by Marvel. They were first mentioned in the Rom toy's promo video at Toy Fair '79, which was created by Parker Brothers and was made before the Marvel comic was. However, because of the Rom toy's failure, a Dire Wraith figure was never produced, so Marvel created their own design for the Wraiths and just... kept using them. This is why the IDW Wraiths have such a radically different design than the Marvel Wraiths.
Daniel Adkins
Fuzor
News Credits: 16
Watch Daniel Adkins on YouTube

Postby ScottyP » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:11 pm

Daniel Adkins wrote:Just a quick history lesson from a diehard ROM fan: The Dire Wraiths were NOT invented by Marvel. They were first mentioned in the Rom toy's promo video at Toy Fair '79, which was created by Parker Brothers and was made before the Marvel comic was. However, because of the Rom toy's failure, a Dire Wraith figure was never produced, so Marvel created their own design for the Wraiths and just... kept using them. This is why the IDW Wraiths have such a radically different design than the Marvel Wraiths.
Good stuff, thanks!

Just a curiosity, why is it that (very generally speaking) the few Rom fans I seem to see online are such diehards for the old property? Was it love of the toy, comic, both? Any particular old Rom comics (or stories about him in other Marvel books/events) that really drive the attachment?
ScottyP
Guardian Of Seibertron
Buy from ScottyP on eBay

Postby Daniel Adkins » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:01 pm

ScottyP wrote:
Daniel Adkins wrote:Just a quick history lesson from a diehard ROM fan: The Dire Wraiths were NOT invented by Marvel. They were first mentioned in the Rom toy's promo video at Toy Fair '79, which was created by Parker Brothers and was made before the Marvel comic was. However, because of the Rom toy's failure, a Dire Wraith figure was never produced, so Marvel created their own design for the Wraiths and just... kept using them. This is why the IDW Wraiths have such a radically different design than the Marvel Wraiths.
Good stuff, thanks!

Just a curiosity, why is it that (very generally speaking) the few Rom fans I seem to see online are such diehards for the old property? Was it love of the toy, comic, both? Any particular old Rom comics (or stories about him in other Marvel books/events) that really drive the attachment?

Here's the thing. When you say "the old property" you mean the only piece of fiction the character had for the last 30 years. Rom has had no fiction since the Marvel Comics series ended back in 86. The toy itself was a flop, but fans love it because of the comic because the comic is an epic. And I mean that in the traditional sense. Across 75 issues and 4 annuals, Bill Mantlo weaved an epic story that was equal parts sci-fi action, epic fantasy, romance, and horror suspense, spanning from the depths of the Earth to the farthest reaches of the galaxy.

The character of Rom is a tragic hero who gives up his physical humanity in order to become a Spaceknight and fight the Dire Wraiths, but he also struggles to keep his inner humanity after 2 centuries of war has taken its toll on him. When he first arrived on Earth, he is seen as a monster and invader by all but one person. But as he stays true to himself, others begin to open up to him and embrace him as a hero, culminating in an epic final battle against the Wraiths with almost all the heroes in the Marvel Universe following Rom into battle.

And the Wraiths themselves are unique villains in and of themselves. They're aliens with advanced technology, but they're also wizards with dark magic. They have their own internal power struggles and dynamics. And as the series goes on, you see just how evil the Wraiths are willing to take things in order to conquer Earth.

I think the reason the comic is still remembered today is that its history is truly an underdog story. Like I said, the toy flopped, but Marvel kept making his comic because (I think) he was a unique and interesting character with a story that needed to be told. And clearly it resonated with enough people that years from its ending and Marvel losing the rights to the character, it's still heralded as great so that even people like me, who were born long after the comic ended, could discover him and his story. And while Marvel did try to tell more stories with the Spaceknights, none of them ever really stuck because they didn't have Rom, the character that made people love the concept to begin with.

Wow. That was much longer than I intended, but it shows how much passion the character inspires.
Daniel Adkins
Fuzor
News Credits: 16
Watch Daniel Adkins on YouTube

Postby Va'al » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:45 am

That was a fascinating read. Thank you!
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Return to Transformers General Discussion

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SPAWN #343 Cvr B Image Comics 2023 APR230291 343B (W) McConville (CA) Kibar"
SPAWN #343 Cvr B I ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #5 Cvr F Walking Dead 20th Image Comics 2023 0823IM481 5F Hughes"
VOID RIVALS #5 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GUNSLINGER SPAWN #16 Cvr B Image Comics 2023 NOV220221 16B (CA) Keane"
GUNSLINGER SPAWN # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WHATS FURTHEST PLACE FROM HERE #3 Cvr D 1:25 Image Comics 2022 250125A 3D Walsh"
WHATS FURTHEST PLA ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WALKING DEAD DLX #61 Cvr D Image Comics 2023 FEB230270 61D (CA) Tedesco"
WALKING DEAD DLX # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #4 2nd ptg Image Comics 2023 1023IM895 (CA) Howard (W) Kirkman"
VOID RIVALS #4 2nd ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "ICE CREAM MAN #37 Cvr C Walking Dead Image Comics 0823IM393 37C (CA) Morazzo"
ICE CREAM MAN #37 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WALKING DEAD DLX #9 Cvr A Image Comics 2021 DEC200241 9A (CA) Finch + McCaig"
WALKING DEAD DLX # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #1 Cvr H 1:100 foil Image Comics 2023 0823IM293 1H Bertram 231010L"
TRANSFORMERS #1 Cv ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #4 Cvr A Image Comics 2024 Skybound 1123IM342 4A (CA) Johnson"
TRANSFORMERS #4 Cv ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WALKING DEAD DLX #77 Cvr C Image Comics 2023 0923IM474 77C (CA) Williams III"
WALKING DEAD DLX # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SCORCHED #18 Cvr A Image Comics 2023 MAR230181 18A (CA) Bogdanovic (W) Lewis"
SCORCHED #18 Cvr A ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "FIRE POWER #12 Cvr K Image Comics 2021 APR210175 12K (CA) Randolph (W) Kirkman"
FIRE POWER #12 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WALKING DEAD DLX #70 Cvr C Image Comics 2023 0723IM412 70C (CA) Hughes"
WALKING DEAD DLX # ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #345 - The Roast
Twincast / Podcast #345:
"The Roast"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, March 9th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers MPM-03 Movie 10th Anniversary Figure Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Exclusive Cyber Battalion Class Shockwave Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Grimlock Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 10 Deluxe Class Movie 1 Autobot Jazz" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee Movie Toys, Energon Igniters Nitro Bumblebee Action Figure - Included Core Powers Driving Action - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 7-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Masterpiece Movie Series Barricade MPM-5" on AMAZON
Buy "Masterpiece MPM-7 Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Tra Rid Warrior Soundwave Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Vorath and Mindwipe" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Wheeljack" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Deception Off Road Figure" on AMAZON