This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

MP-05 Megatron's Cosmic Rust, aka Tarnish problem (with pics) solutions inside

Feel free to discuss anything about any of the thousands of Transformer toys here. Anything from Generation 1 all the way to the soon to be released, the never to be released or the hope to be released is fair game! Want to show off your stuff? Please post your's and see others in the Transformers Collections Forum.

Postby CyberTooth » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:02 pm

Omega-1 wrote:Perceptor recommends Chlorostop, lol. Sorry couldn`t help myself. But seriously, that`s some bad rust.

The real mystery now is how did all the smart asses on this board miss the Cosmic Rust jokes?

Corrostop like stopping corrosion, ain't it?

Back on subject... couldn't a light misting of a low gloss clear coat take care of continued rusting? You'll want to clean wants already visible, but a clear coat of paint should seal out water.
CyberTooth
Headmaster Jr
News Credits: 2

Postby Darth Screamer » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:05 pm

Counterpunch wrote:I noticed a little of that on mine the other day.

He's not crazy, the feet aren't chromed, they are metal.

The room my Megatron is in is mostly dry and Megs hardly ever gets touched. I think a lot of people are going to see this on their figures in time.

I'm really glad I didnt get this pos.
Darth Screamer
Combiner

Postby Sportimus Prime » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:25 pm

Go to a gun store. Seriously. Just ask them what they recommend to remove rust from metal. I had something, but now I can not remember what it was called.
Sportimus Prime
Headmaster

Postby Galaxion » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:54 pm

Well that is unfortunate mine as of yet hasn't had that problem as of yet and I keep him displayed in robot mode.
Galaxion
Fuzor

Postby Stormrider » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:57 pm

Weapon: Atom-Smasher Cannon
0ctane wrote:Image
this is the best pic i could come up with for now, my camara goes blurry without the flash.

this is how i display megs.

so best bet would be to unscrew the feet and spray wd40 on it,wipe it off and add clearcoat. I only display him because i don't want to break him.

stoopid cosmic rust...

Yikes. It looks like your MP Megatron has been infected with the "Cosmic Rust". :P

Kidding aside, this is most interesting. It was reported recently that the price of die-cast has gone through the roof. It wouldn't be surprising that an inferior die0cast has been substituted.
Stormrider
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 409

Postby Blozor » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:43 pm

Motto: ""Distrust everything — you're bound to get something right."
Weapon: Double-Barreled Plasma Shell Shotgun
Uh-oh. Mine has some pitting / spotting too. I never really looked at the feet in the past few months. Crap.

What really worries me is that his spine is also metal and really rather narrow.
Blozor
Combiner
News Credits: 1
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 2
Endurance: 8
Courage: 7
Firepower: 5
Skill: 9

Postby Fussion » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:49 pm

*Stupid question time*

These are from china, and could have been shipped (on a boat).
Could "Sea air" accelerate rusting from the salt in the air?
I have bought a few things from California and the sea air seems to have an effect... Any thoughts?
Fussion
Minibot

Postby SpacerAM2 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:50 pm

Octane I feel your pain. Broke two small brittle plastic tabs by transforming him a couple of times. Broke it in less of a week. Mp 6 Megatron is cheaply done. You can't transform him much. Only display him for a little while but not the whole day or it will get cosmic rust later. I wish the Chinese bootleggers made some replacement parts for him.
But seriously this collector's toy is a bad investment. It's overpriced and it's junk. Just had to say it. I've been frustrated since I've bought it on early April. Several months ago.
SpacerAM2
Pretender

Postby skywarp-2 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:54 pm

Well since it's late and I am bored and the fact there are only 2 pages thus far, I read through all the ideas... and yeah WD-40 is your best rust remover... the clear coat is a real critical choice, the best clear coat to buy in the Hobby world or any market for that matter is the Tamiya Flat clear coat..

Let me give you an example of how powerful this stuff is.....

Once apon a time there were only soft vinyl static Guyver model kits, and not the fine quality toys we have today, a young amatuer hobbyist with a little professional help succeeded in painting a Guyver 1 limited figure that was authentically MAX Factory....the Model came out wonderfully.. all that was left was to let it dry overnight and clean and paint a clear coat over the painted work of art..

The next day to the hobbyists horror the model was still sticky to the touch.. 3 days past and no change, to his dismay the amatuer hobbyist called the professional who preceded to explain that TESTORS ENAMEL paints are in no way suitable for Vinyl!!!! Acrylics is what is used for that
type of material..with a whole in his heart he asked if there was anything that he could do..???

The Professional replied, Yes!! let me tell you of a Product called Tamiya Clear coat....this should fix the problem, he said... and with heavy coats of clear coat and a days worth of drying..the model was finally "almost" entirely sticky free..!!!

I asked the Professional what would have happened over time had I left it without the clear coat?? he said he was amazed that it hadn't melted or degraded in some way.. that was 7 years ago, I still have that model, and I think that the only reason it is still in perfect condition is because it's held together completely by Tamiya Clear Coat...Now I freaking Swear by that stuff!!!
Last edited by skywarp-2 on Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You Waste More energy with your mouth."
Check out My Deviant Art Page:
http://skywarp-2.deviantart.com/
http://capitalcomicsstudios.deviantart.com/
http://time-lord-rassilon.deviantart.com/
Check out my new Custom Transformers G-1 CCG! Updated! 07/21/2009!!!!
http://www.seibertron.com/energonpub/vi ... 27&t=56030
skywarp-2
Faction Commander
News Credits: 5

Postby Collector Maximus » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:58 pm

Damn!
Just when you thought it was so great to have an MP Megatron...
I blame Hasbro.

Seibertron's #1 Cure fan!
Collector Maximus
Headmaster Jr
News Credits: 3

Postby skywarp-2 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:02 pm

In fact I think I am gonna stop by the parents house, open my boxed Megatron and paint some clear coat on the feet just in case...I don't want it to rust down the road...might as well save me some WD-40 work..
"You Waste More energy with your mouth."
Check out My Deviant Art Page:
http://skywarp-2.deviantart.com/
http://capitalcomicsstudios.deviantart.com/
http://time-lord-rassilon.deviantart.com/
Check out my new Custom Transformers G-1 CCG! Updated! 07/21/2009!!!!
http://www.seibertron.com/energonpub/vi ... 27&t=56030
skywarp-2
Faction Commander
News Credits: 5

Postby chrisjbrandon » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:09 pm

Damn mine is two... :?
My next vehicle is my avatar...
chrisjbrandon
Combiner

Postby NightFall » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:16 pm

I just went to check mines, and yes a bit rusty, kinda pisses me off, but I'll try the vinegar.
NightFall
Headmaster Jr

Postby metalformer » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:16 pm

Motto: ""Life is an Eternal War for Survival!""
Weapon: Fusion Cannon
MP Megatron + (Cosmic)Rust ? :shock: Too much of a coincidence! :CON: Sorry I can't contribute with tips since I don't have one :sad: and therefore have not such an ordeal.
metalformer
Minibot
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 5
Endurance: 5
Courage: 4
Firepower: 6
Skill: 7

Postby Seibertron » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:18 pm

Motto: "'Til All Are One!"
Weapon: Twin Shock-Concussion Missiles
0ctane wrote:Image

ACK! Mine is doing the exact same thing. I just treated his metal parts with some WD-40. It seemed to clean up easy enough. I just transformed the legs on the one I keep in gun mode that I haven't handled since I removed it from the package ... same exact damn thing. That's most frustrating! Definitely something to keep our optics on.
Seibertron
Site Owner
News Credits: 3554
Watch Seibertron on YouTube
Buy from Seibertron on eBay
Alt Mode: Supersonic Cybertronian Jet
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 9
Courage: 8
Firepower: 5
Skill: 10+

Postby 009* » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:33 pm

Weapon: Double-Barreled, Armor-Piercing Particle Beam Cann...
I haven't noticed anything on mine yet, but should I soak the parts in vinegar/wd 40 or just wipe them down?

Also, I thought the parts were made out of zinc. The MP-1 manual states that's what Prime's made of.
009*
Combiner
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 4
Courage: 5
Firepower: 10

Postby gogleman374 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:33 pm

Phew, my MP Megs feet are safe. But I will use those steps to try and protect him.
gogleman374
Targetmaster

Postby ScottyP » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:39 pm

Weapon: Battle Blades
Mine looks fine...

and I'm in humidity city...
Listen to me ramble about robots on the Seibertron.com Twincast / Podcast
ScottyP
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 639
Buy from ScottyP on eBay

Postby Basketball Jones » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:47 pm

The ultimate G1 homage- the figure rusts in a fashion identical to the original.

Zinc readily oxidizes- uncoated zinc would be a poor choice for die-cast metal, despite its low melting point.
Basketball Jones
Combiner
News Credits: 2

Postby Immortal Starscream » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:52 pm

sadly, mine is showing signs of yellowing already =\

"They're playing with him... and when they're done they're going to play with me.... OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!"
Immortal Starscream
Headmaster
News Credits: 18

Postby 009* » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:54 pm

Weapon: Double-Barreled, Armor-Piercing Particle Beam Cann...
Basketball Jones wrote:Zinc readily oxidizes- uncoated zinc would be a poor choice for die-cast metal, despite its low melting point.

:-(

Also, soak the parts or just wipe them down?

I do have some vinegar, but it's all diluted for use in food. Is that good enough to use or do I need to get something stronger or just get the wd 40?
009*
Combiner
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 4
Firepower: 10

Postby TheMuffin » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:11 pm

Motto: "I still function!"
Weapon: Plasma Beam Rifle
I'm trying to understand why they don't just use aluminum. Yeah you'd probably be better off machining the pieces instead of trying to cast them but still, it would not be "rusting" as badly as these are. Not to mention that you could get a chunk of aluminum the size of his foot for like 10 cents.
TheMuffin
Faction Commander
News Credits: 38
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 3
Endurance: 7
Firepower: 8
Skill: 7

Postby Brazilian » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:12 pm

Hey, I am one more victim! Dry place and feet rusted.
Brazilian
Mini-Con
News Credits: 6

Postby zmanH2 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:17 pm

+1

Mine's untouched.....box to display shelf only :-(
zmanH2
Mini-Con

Postby Sportimus Prime » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:24 pm

I was serious about going to a gun store for rust removal. Or go online and...

Get this:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/hoppe-quick ... -1215.html

Or this:

http://www.birchwoodcasey.com/sport/blu ... prodcat=55

And make sure to get this:

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/a_cleaning_cloth.asp

Your own fingerprints and body oil causes oxidation. This will help prevent rusting after handling.
Sportimus Prime
Headmaster

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers Toys Discussion

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-S16 PTERAXADON Transformers War for Cybertron Siege Battle Master 2019 New"
WFC-S16 PTERAXADON ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-E22 QUINTESSON JUDGE Transformers War for Cybertron Earthrise Tomy ER EX-08"
WFC-E22 QUINTESSON ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "IRONHIDE Transformers Studio Series 86 Core Class Hasbro 2023 New"
IRONHIDE Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K33 SLAMMER Transformers War for Cybertron Kingdom Deluxe Hasbro 2022 New"
NEW!
WFC-K33 SLAMMER Tr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K43 HOT ROD Transformers War for Cybertron Kingdom Core 2022 New 220329"
WFC-K43 HOT ROD Tr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BWVS-05 RATTRAP + TERRORSAUR Transformers Beast Wars Again Kingdom Hasbro 2024"
NEW!
BWVS-05 RATTRAP + ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "KUP Transformers Studio Series 86-02 Animated Movie Deluxe Hasbro 2021 New"
KUP Transformers S ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K27 RHINOX Transformers War Cybertron Kingdom Voyager Hasbro 2021 New"
WFC-K27 RHINOX Tra ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BWVS-02 RHINOX + SCORPONOK Transformers Beast Wars Again Kingdom Hasbro 2023 New"
BWVS-02 RHINOX + S ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K26 TRACKS Transformers War for Cybertron Kingdom Deluxe 2021 New"
WFC-K26 TRACKS Tra ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-E1 SOUNDBARRIER Transformers War Cybertron Earthrise Battle Master 2020 New"
WFC-E1 SOUNDBARRIE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BWVS-03 CHEETOR + WASPINATOR Transformers Beast Wars Again Kingdom Hasbro 2024"
BWVS-03 CHEETOR + ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-E38 MEGATRON Transformers War for Cybertron Earthrise Tomy ER-13 Takara New"
WFC-E38 MEGATRON T ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "JUNKHEAP Transformers Studio Series 86-14 Animated Movie Voyager 2022 New"
JUNKHEAP Transform ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #348 - Uno
Twincast / Podcast #348:
"Uno"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 20th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Kramer Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Grotusque and Scorponok Deluxe Action Figure Exclusive Set" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Bania Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Windblade and Scorchfire" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Class Elita-1" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Terrorcon Hun-Gurrr" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Nitro Series Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Legends Class Brawn" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Protectobot Streetwise Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Leader Class Jetfire Figure(Discontinued by manufacturer)" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Monxo and Wolfwire" on AMAZON