This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

25th Anniversary Optimus Prime review

Feel free to discuss anything about any of the thousands of Transformer toys here. Anything from Generation 1 all the way to the soon to be released, the never to be released or the hope to be released is fair game! Want to show off your stuff? Please post your's and see others in the Transformers Collections Forum.

25th Anniversary Optimus Prime review

Postby Seibertron » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:18 pm

Motto: "'Til All Are One!"
Weapon: Twin Shock-Concussion Missiles
I'm working on the gallery right now. I normally don't write reviews but this figure deserves an absolutely scathing review. Hasbro should be slapped on the wrist for this reissue.

This reissue of Optimus Prime is, without a doubt, THE worst official reissue ever as far as authenticity and quality goes.

If you want to buy this figure to keep in the package, I would highly recommend it. If you're looking to buy your first G1 Optimus Prime figure, you should stay as far away from this figure as possible. I'll write more once the gallery has been posted tomorrow.

This should sum up my thoughts: I've seen knock offs of Optimus Prime that are of higher quality than this version. I feel kind of guilty that I'm going to write such a negative review of a figure since I know so many people at Hasbro (which is a big part of the reason why I don't write reviews), but something has to be said so that my fellow Seibertronians don't waste their money on this figure.

I was really looking forward to Hasbro's 25th Anniversary Optimus Prime. I'm an owner of 5 Optimus Prime reissues, the G2 version and my original G1 version from my childhood. This is my 7th version of the original Optimus Prime mold and this is by far THE worst version of this mold. You're better off spending your money on an Encore reissue or one of the other reissues. Shame on Hasbro for passing this poor representation off as the 25th anniversary version of the legendary Optimus Prime toy!!!
Seibertron
Site Owner
News Credits: 3554
Watch Seibertron on YouTube
Buy from Seibertron on eBay
Alt Mode: Supersonic Cybertronian Jet
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 9
Courage: 8
Firepower: 5
Skill: 10+

Re: 25th Anniversary Optimus Prime review

Postby ShGarland_1383 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:25 pm

Motto: "Be brief of speech and long on action."
Weapon: Reciprocating Laser Cannon
Seibertron wrote:This should sum up my thoughts: I've seen knock offs of Optimus Prime that are of higher quality than this version. Shame on Hasbro!!!

Really? I've been looking forward to this release since it was first announced...
:cry:
My vote for the HOF goes to my favorite Transformer, Kup, to the Headmasters (who still need new figures that aren't just the characters without their master components) and to seibertron.com for for being the ultimate TF resource.
ShGarland_1383
Headmaster
News Credits: 3
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 4
Speed: 2
Endurance: 5
Courage: 5
Firepower: 3
Skill: 3

Postby First Gen » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:31 pm

Motto: "Til All Are One."
Weapon: Dual Laser Cannon
By far some of the most depressing news yet. First my "exclusive" Takara Skywarp and Thundercracker figures literally suck, now I read this.
newsig by sserrano03, on Flickr

http://forallmankind.wordpress.com/

Follow me on Twitter, unlike most, I'm interesting :)

Http://twitter.com/stevenrocks5937
First Gen
Faction Commander
News Credits: 1014
Watch First Gen on YouTube
Buy from First Gen on eBay
Alt Mode: A Truck
Strength: 8
Speed: 6
Endurance: 8
Courage: 10
Firepower: 7
Skill: 10

Postby ShGarland_1383 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:13 pm

First Gen wrote:By far some of the most depressing news yet. First my "exclusive" Takara Skywarp and Thundercracker figures literally suck, now I read this.

Yeah, and it seems he's expanded on his thoughts since I quoted him too. Sad to see this, as I really had been looking forward to this purchase. I was honestly a bit exited to see this listed in the most current printed catalog from HTS. To hear the $69.99 they list in the catalog might actually be spent somewhere else? I'd like to know, though; would it even be worth using the parts to complete the G2 Optimus I still have?
My vote for the HOF goes to my favorite Transformer, Kup, to the Headmasters (who still need new figures that aren't just the characters without their master components) and to seibertron.com for for being the ultimate TF resource.
ShGarland_1383
Headmaster

Postby olokin » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:48 pm

I always wondered why this was released early. I guess the chinese factory this came from cut a lot corners and skimped on the QC.
olokin
City Commander

Postby Optimus Schtool » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:12 pm

After watching Peaugh's review of Universe Cyclonus on TFW 2005 and seeing how ASS the paint looked, I'm not entirely surprised. It looks NOTHING like the preview pics. Too bad this reissued Prime apparently suffered the same fate. QC at Hasbro seems to be a complete afterthought. I don't even transform my Universe Prowl anymore b/c the paint on his doors looks so bad--he stays in robot mode.
Optimus Schtool
Minibot

Postby Firebird » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:26 pm

Weapon: Blinding Black Light Beam Gun
Well this is sad news but to be honest the more pictures I had seen of this Prime the less interested I became. First it was the small smokestacks, then the different colored Roller, finally the colors of Prime himself.

Authough I suppose I only wanted it for the slick packaging anyway, But I'm gonna take Seibertron's advice and pick up Encore Prime when I get the chance instead.

Does the voice box at least have Peter Cullen's voice?
Twitter - @FirebirdGT
:BOT: [AWC]
Firebird
Godmaster
News Credits: 4
Buy from Firebird on eBay

Postby Solrac333 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:32 pm

When I saw that the price was 70 bucks, I decided NOT to get it. I used the money to get the City Commander upgrade.
Bah weep granah weep nini bon!
Solrac333
Gestalt
News Credits: 1
Watch Solrac333 on YouTube
Buy from Solrac333 on eBay
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: Infinity
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 10+
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 10+

Postby Bed Bugs » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:45 pm

Motto: "The Bigger The Buffet, The Better!"
Weapon: Black Magic
Wow. Just wow. This is totally depressing that Hasbro dropped the ball on this release.

WTF?! Part 3 for the spotlight boss? :lol:
Botcon: The Legacy Collection
Bed Bugs
Gestalt
News Credits: 349
Alt Mode: A Bed Bug
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 10+
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 10+

Postby Seibertron » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:48 pm

Firebird wrote:Well this is sad news but to be honest the more pictures I had seen of this Prime the less interested I became. First it was the small smokestacks, then the different colored Roller, finally the colors of Prime himself.

Authough I suppose I only wanted it for the slick packaging anyway, But I'm gonna take Seibertron's advice and pick up Encore Prime when I get the chance instead.

Does the voice box at least have Peter Cullen's voice?

Yes, it does have that going for it. You can access the voice box through the packaging so again, great item if you want to keep it mint in box. Terrible item if you want to open it.
Seibertron
Site Owner

Postby Seibertron » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:51 pm

I've completed the gallery of this horrible reissue. I even busted out the most recent Takara Tomy reissue of this mold from the Encore series just for the sake of comparison since the 25th anniversary version is so bad. I mean ... this is BEYOND bad guys. I'm pretty sure the stink I'm going to raise about this figure here on Seibertron.com this weekend will most definitely get the attention of a few folks at Hasbro on Monday morning. I'm normally someone who is always in Hasbro's corner but I've had enough of cost-cutting measures. I'd rather pay a few more dollars for a figure than end up with utter crap. Hell, I just spent $70 plus tax on this figure yesterday ... that should be more than enough to make sure that it's a decent release of a legendary toy. This reissue of Optimus Prime is a disgrace and Hasbro should be extremely embarrassed. Sad, sad, sad ...
Seibertron
Site Owner

Postby It Is Him » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:01 am

Seibertron wrote:This reissue of Optimus Prime is a disgrace and Hasbro should be extremely embarrassed. Sad, sad, sad ...

Wow. Those are some exceptionally harsh words.

But are we talking low quality all around or just low quality compared to recent reissues?

I was planning to ask my dad to buy this for me as a holiday gift, because, despite the price tag, he would appreciate the toy's significance. I've had my heart set on this for months.

Is this really an absolute pass?
Come join us at THE PUPPY THREAD

BeastProwl wrote:What the **** is wrong with you?
It Is Him
City Commander
News Credits: 16

Postby Seibertron » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:13 am

It Is Him wrote:
Seibertron wrote:This reissue of Optimus Prime is a disgrace and Hasbro should be extremely embarrassed. Sad, sad, sad ...

But are we talking low quality all around or just low quality compared to recent reissues?

I was planning to ask my dad to buy this for me as a holiday gift, because, despite the price tag, he would appreciate the toy's significance. I've had my heart set on this for months.

Depends. Do you want a more-or-less accurate G1 reissue or do you want a pinkish G1 Prime with an off-white/light gray trailer?
Seibertron
Site Owner

Postby Vegitron » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:22 am

Motto: "Run away! Run away!"
If it's really that bad and the worse reissue of G1 Optimus out there, then in a sick and twisted way, it may be worth collecting!

I think I'll wait for it to be on clearance though.
Vegitron
Fuzor
Strength: 1
Intelligence: 2
Speed: 1
Endurance: 1
Courage: 1
Firepower: 1
Skill: 1

Postby It Is Him » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:29 am

Seibertron wrote:
It Is Him wrote:

Depends. Do you want a more-or-less accurate G1 reissue or do you want a pinkish G1 Prime with an off-white/light gray trailer?

Pink? If it's as bad as you say, I bet there'll be an influx "Pinkimus Prime" complaint threads in upcoming weeks. Yikes.

In fairness though, I don't mind the shortened smokestacks on the Ultra Magnus Commemorative reissue, so authenticity is not as important as having a new product.

It Is Him
City Commander

Postby ShGarland_1383 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:32 am

Seibertron wrote:I'd rather pay a few more dollars for a figure than end up with utter crap. Hell, I just spent $70 plus tax on this figure yesterday ... that should be more than enough to make sure that it's a decent release of a legendary toy.

I agree. You drop $69.99+tax, you expect quality. I remember reading not too long ago they were raising prices; generally, I'm not gonna whine about that because, like you, I don't mind shelling out more if it means the figure I'm buying is actually worth the money I'm willing to drop for it. I'm really looking forward to this gallery, though, because if it's as bad as it sounds, I might well abandon my interest in this set.

It Is Him wrote:Is this really an absolute pass?

Well, since I first saw this thread, Ryan's tone about this release has just gotten better and better (in that sarcastic "not so much" way). I've seen him say at least twice in this thread that if you mean to keep the set MISB, maybe get it, but if not this is a major pass-fest. (If I'm taking you out of context here, Ryan, please correct me; that's just how I've read it.)

Since you were talking about buying this as a gift for your father, however... It isn't beyond me to pay more than $69.99 plus Action HQ's shipping which is like 20-something as I remember for some figures, but I haven't an unkind word for any figure I've bought this way. It's always worth it. But if that's not going to be the case for this reissue of G1 Optimus...

I'm gonna wait till I actually see the gallery until I truly make up my mind one way or another.
ShGarland_1383
Headmaster

Postby Aeros » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:38 am

Seibertron wrote:I've completed the gallery of this horrible reissue. I even busted out the most recent Takara Tomy reissue of this mold from the Encore series just for the sake of comparison since the 25th anniversary version is so bad. I mean ... this is BEYOND bad guys. I'm pretty sure the stink I'm going to raise about this figure here on Seibertron.com this weekend will most definitely get the attention of a few folks at Hasbro on Monday morning. I'm normally someone who is always in Hasbro's corner but I've had enough of cost-cutting measures. I'd rather pay a few more dollars for a figure than end up with utter crap. Hell, I just spent $70 plus tax on this figure yesterday ... that should be more than enough to make sure that it's a decent release of a legendary toy. This reissue of Optimus Prime is a disgrace and Hasbro should be extremely embarrassed. Sad, sad, sad ...

Thank you. Not because you saved me from buying a hunk of chit. but because someone who was in hasbro's "corner"(like i was) has had enough... I've easily spent 10k on my collection of transformers over the last 20+ years. I don't mind prices going up with inflation or costs of materials and fuel prices. but when people get used to a certain standard then are handed a bunch of sub-standard products they are going to notice. Nothing about this prime screamed "buy me" and i but everything, and the hiked up price really put up the "don't buy" flag for me. And this reveiw just re-inforces my thoughts.

Thank you Ryan for taking a stand. You have earned a few respect points from me for whatever that is worth.
Aeros
Micromaster

Postby ShGarland_1383 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:42 am

Agreed. Still gonna peep the gallery before committing one way or another, but if it's as bad as it sounds, a stand needs to be taken. Thank you for doing so, Ryan.
ShGarland_1383
Headmaster

Postby Seibertron » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:43 am

It Is Him wrote:Pink? If it's as bad as you say, I bet there'll be an influx "Pinkimus Prime" complaint threads in upcoming weeks. Yikes.

In fairness though, I don't mind the shortened smokestacks on the Ultra Magnus Commemorative reissue, so authenticity is not as important as having a new product.

I'm not concerned about the shortened smoke stacks. Those were too be expected and have been on the other Hasbro reissues of Optimus Prime. That's a safety concern which I can understand. I don't understand the horrible colors of this reissue. You guys will see the pics soon enough so that you can make your own decision, especially in the comparison pics alongside Encore Convoy.
Seibertron
Site Owner

Postby Seibertron » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:45 am

For those of you looking for an awesome Optimus Prime reissue, here you go:

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/prod ... ode=retail

'Nuff said.
Seibertron
Site Owner

Postby It Is Him » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:47 am

ShGarland_1383 wrote:
It Is Him wrote:Is this really an absolute pass?

Well, since I first saw this thread, Ryan's tone about this release has just gotten better and better (in that sarcastic "not so much" way). I've seen him say at least twice in this thread that if you mean to keep the set MISB, maybe get it, but if not this is a major pass-fest. (If I'm taking you out of context here, Ryan, please correct me; that's just how I've read it.)

Since you were talking about buying this as a gift for your father, however... It isn't beyond me to pay more than $69.99 plus Action HQ's shipping which is like 20-something as I remember for some figures, but I haven't an unkind word for any figure I've bought this way. It's always worth it. But if that's not going to be the case for this reissue of G1 Optimus...

I'm gonna wait till I actually see the gallery until I truly make up my mind one way or another.

Just for clarity, I was going to ask my dad to purchase Prime, gift wrap it, and then hand it over to me during the holidays. I selfishly want it all for myself. Mine. All mine and I'm not sharing.

My plan was to mail him a page from the HTS catalog along with a toy brochure that has the 10% off discount code. I'm warning him about it in advance, so it won't seem like I'm springing the idea on him.

It Is Him
City Commander

Postby olokin » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:51 am

Thanks for the heads up, I've been keenly awaiting this version of Prime but I guess I'd rather not experience the disappointment of opening it. Encore Prime would have to do it for me.

I just saved $70.
Last edited by olokin on Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
olokin
City Commander

Postby It Is Him » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:01 am

Seibertron wrote:I don't understand the horrible colors of this reissue. You guys will see the pics soon enough so that you can make your own decision, especially in the comparison pics alongside Encore Convoy.

What also surprised me about your post is that I thought it was well-known there were going to be paint app changes (white roller, sky-blue legs), and I didn't believe Hasbro was taking it too far when 25th Anniversary Prime was announced. It seems like an honest way to separate the new Prime reissue from ones that came before it (as well as high-quality KOs).

But then again, Pink? That's pretty offputting.

It Is Him
City Commander

Postby First Gen » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:23 am

Motto: "Til All Are One."
Weapon: Dual Laser Cannon
Holy crap, I just saw this on ebay:

If you can see that so plain as day in a crappy pic on ebay, imagine what Seibertrons galleries will reveal. That trailer is like bone white and the cab is two different colors. WTF?!!!!
newsig by sserrano03, on Flickr

http://forallmankind.wordpress.com/

Follow me on Twitter, unlike most, I'm interesting :)

Http://twitter.com/stevenrocks5937
First Gen
Faction Commander
News Credits: 1014
Watch First Gen on YouTube
Buy from First Gen on eBay
Alt Mode: A Truck
Strength: 8
Speed: 6
Endurance: 8
Courage: 10
Firepower: 7
Skill: 10

Postby It Is Him » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:29 am

First Gen wrote:the cab is two different colors.

That is hardly acceptable. I have to say, I'm disappointed if those paint apps are going to be universal and are not a result of poor QC.

It Is Him
City Commander

Next

Return to Transformers Toys Discussion

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Rescan HEATWAVE Fire-Bot Transformers Rescue Bots Academy 2019 Fire Truck"
Rescan HEATWAVE Fi ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MEGATRON Transformers Earthspark Deluxe Mandroid wave Hasbro 2023 New"
MEGATRON Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SHOCKWAVE Transformers Earthspark Deluxe Mandroid wave Hasbro 2023 New"
SHOCKWAVE Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Rescan WHIRL Flight-Bot (VTOL jet) Transformers Rescue Bots Academy 2019 Hasbro"
Rescan WHIRL Fligh ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "POWER HOT SHOT 14" tall Transformers Rescue Bots Academy Playskool 2020 New"
POWER HOT SHOT 14" ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GRIMLOCK Transformers Classic Heroes Team Rescue Bots Dinobots Hasbro 2022 New"
GRIMLOCK Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Rescan OPTIMUS PRIME Transformers Rescue Bots Academy Playskool Racing Truck New"
Rescan OPTIMUS PRI ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Rescan OPTIMUS PRIME Transformers Rescue Bots Playskool 2017 New Truck Diaclone"
Rescan OPTIMUS PRI ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OPTIMUS PRIME Transformers Classic Heroes Team Rescue Bots Hasbro 2022 New"
OPTIMUS PRIME Tran ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TERRAN TWITCH Transformers Earthspark Deluxe Mandroid wave Hasbro 2023 New"
TERRAN TWITCH Tran ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "HOIST TOW-BOT Transformers Rescue Bots 2012 Playskool 191206a"
HOIST TOW-BOT Tran ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OPTIMUS PRIMAL Transformers Classic Heroes Team Rescue Bots Hasbro 2022 New"
OPTIMUS PRIMAL Tra ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SKYWARP Transformers Earthspark Warrior Class Hasbro 2023 New"
SKYWARP Transforme ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OPTIMUS PRIME Transformers Rescue Bots Academy Featured Feature Playskool 2022"
OPTIMUS PRIME Tran ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #348 - Uno
Twincast / Podcast #348:
"Uno"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 20th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Leader Evolution Rodimus Unicronus" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 13 Voyager Class Movie 2 Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 09 Voyager Class Movie 2 Thundercracker" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Class Grimlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Power of the Primes Punch-Counterpunch and Prima Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Acid Storm" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Voyager Class Roadbuster Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Legends Class Laserbeak" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Xort and Highbrow" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Crashbash" on AMAZON