3rd Party (Not) Unicron Apparently Removed by Hasbro

3rd Party (Not) Unicron Apparently Removed by Hasbro

Saturday, September 14th, 2019 2:02am CDT

Category: Toy News
Posted by: Stargrave   Views: 53,365

In a move that has surprised both HasLab Unicron's supporters and detractors, Hasbro appears to have made an official stance against third party infringement on their intellectual properties. We've received word from Seibertronian Calidus that if not indefinitely postponed, Zeta Toys' version of Unicron (aka Not-Unicron) may be in fact cancelled as all listings for the item have been removed from most social media outlets, including YouTube. The youtube video itself has been taken down due to a copyright claim from Hasbro (see image below).

Although we are only able to speculate at this time it can be reasonably be assumed this is tied to the current crowd supported HasLab Unicron project, which as of this writing has not yet met its quota. The deadline for HasLab's Unicron is early next month, and since Zeta Toys announced their Not-Unicron, HasLab's Unicron has actually seen a dip in orders.

Although there is no clear causation, with a character and Transformer fan event as big as Unicron, and with so much riding on the line, it would be safe to assume a correlation. Hasbro has not made large moves to stymie or silence most third party (or 3P) products, with toys clearly violating copyrights being manufactured in multiple numbers, for multiple hundreds of dollars, year after year.

This pretender to the Unicron throne disappearing from so many outlets so quickly would constitute a rare action on Hasbro's part.

So, if it's a Unicron you're after, it turns out there's one out there right now, and best of all he's the real deal. As time and again so many other Transformers are copied by third party companies, there is apparently one who won't stand for it.

To put in your order for the OFFICIAL HASLAB UNICRON CLICK HERE!

Share your thoughts in the forum and stay tuned to Seibertron as we will be bringing you any developments to this story.

Transformers News: 3rd Party (Not) Unicron Apparently Removed by Hasbro

Transformers News: 3rd Party (Not) Unicron Apparently Removed by Hasbro

Transformers News: 3rd Party (Not) Unicron Apparently Removed by Hasbro

Transformers News: 3rd Party (Not) Unicron Apparently Removed by Hasbro

Transformers News: 3rd Party (Not) Unicron Apparently Removed by Hasbro

Credit(s): Calidus at Seibertron and Youtube

This article was last modified on Sunday, September 15th, 2019 8:24am CDT

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: 3rd Party (Not) Unicron Apparently Removed by Hasbro (2038223)
Posted by Crosscheck on September 14th, 2019 @ 3:13am CDT
Good. IP theft is BS.
Re: 3rd Party (Not) Unicron Apparently Removed by Hasbro (2038224)
Posted by MadProject on September 14th, 2019 @ 3:17am CDT
it was the right choice from Hasbro.
Making a 3P Unicron right while the crowfunding is still on is a big "fuck you".
If they announced/prepared this 3P Unicron years ago I don't think Hasbro would have done anything about it, because it wasn't directly damaging its buisness.
Re: 3rd Party (Not) Unicron Apparently Removed by Hasbro (2038225)
Posted by Asepticon on September 14th, 2019 @ 3:20am CDT
It's just not acceptible with that kibble.
Re: 3rd Party (Not) Unicron Apparently Removed by Hasbro (2038226)
Posted by Anonymous on September 14th, 2019 @ 3:32am CDT
This is unlikely to make many people order the official unicron if people preferred Zeta for the transformation and price.

Hopefully zeta crack on and serve the uk market as Hasbro cant be bothered.
Re: 3rd Party (Not) Unicron Apparently Removed by Hasbro (2038227)
Posted by Crosscheck on September 14th, 2019 @ 3:32am CDT
By the way, given that Zeta used the actual name Unicron in some of their promotional material, don't think for a second that the Chinese government won't come knocking at their door. Dragon Momoko, a 3P Gundam model company was taken down for that sort of thing. 3 years in prison and a hefty fine is that they got.
Re: 3rd Party (Not) Unicron Apparently Removed by Hasbro (2038228)
Posted by Regimus Prime on September 14th, 2019 @ 3:34am CDT
Re: 3rd Party (Not) Unicron Apparently Removed by Hasbro (2038229)
Posted by Stargrave on September 14th, 2019 @ 3:40am CDT
Whoa great analogy! And great points dude :APPLAUSE:
Re: 3rd Party (Not) Unicron Apparently Removed by Hasbro (2038230)
Posted by Ironhidensh on September 14th, 2019 @ 3:50am CDT
Edit: never mind
Re: 3rd Party (Not) Unicron Apparently Removed by Hasbro (2038231)
Posted by ZeroWolf on September 14th, 2019 @ 4:04am CDT
Regimus Prime wrote:Good on Hasbro for putting a stop (temporary or permanent) to Zeta’s blatant attempt to syphon their crowd funding effort. I get it, there have been years of 3P options on some fan favorites that Hasbro/Takara Tony had yet to produce particularly for the MP line, but really? In the midst of Haslab attempting to secure backers for Unicron you slide in with your bootleg offering? That’s some unlicensed street vendor, buyer better beware, swap meet knock off, low life bad form right there. You can agree or disagree with Hasbro’s roll out of this project, it’s price point, G1 movie accuracy, sculpt paint apps, scale... you can even argue the merits of creating competition and driving the market with 3P offerings but that was just really underhanded. Me personally, I’ve always frowned upon bootlegs of any merchandise I wish to purchase. I want the real deal Holyfield. I’ve been a bit of a sneaker head for years and couldn’t imagine buying knockoff Jordan’s. I’m a fan of Mike. I followed his career and willingly supported his brand. If Brand Jordan put out a pair of shoes but not in the color way I wanted I could customize em or pass and buy another choice that won my dollar. But if another brand wins my dollar they must have produced THEIR OWN PRODUCT/IP that I could get behind. I can respect that. But jacking another companies IP and leeching off of THEIR fans?... I gotta pass regardless on the 3Ps out of respect for the brand that I grew up with because I’m a fan. If they put out a product that I don’t like or is out of my budget I’ll purchase another legitimate item from another brand I respect. :BOT:

Well said my friend :APPLAUSE: I agree with everything you said, especially about 3P making their own IP and using their own in house designs rather then leeching off HasTak.

@Padfoo I hope hasbro shuts them down for good, I still think though there's more to hasbro not serving the UK market then them simply not being bothered. Also end of the day, there is ways for UK fans to get unicron
Re: 3rd Party (Not) Unicron Apparently Removed by Hasbro (2038232)
Posted by DMSL on September 14th, 2019 @ 4:07am CDT
Re: 3rd Party (Not) Unicron Apparently Removed by Hasbro (2038234)
Posted by Burn on September 14th, 2019 @ 4:15am CDT
DMSL wrote:Hasbro is asking too much cash period. This Unicron is a rushed product. For that price it should have a way better transformation.

It's not rushed. It's been in development for over a year.

If you're refering to the time people have to commit the funds, then yes, it is short, and international options were limited. Fairly certain Hasbro have learnt that lesson now.
Re: 3rd Party (Not) Unicron Apparently Removed by Hasbro (2038235)
Posted by Anonymous on September 14th, 2019 @ 4:19am CDT
Whatever people bang on about "the real deal" and "ip", if said owners of IP decide global fans dont want to buy their products, then they lose all respect and loyalty from me. Fingers crossed zeta's still makes it out
Re: 3rd Party (Not) Unicron Apparently Removed by Hasbro (2038236)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on September 14th, 2019 @ 4:24am CDT
Burn wrote:At least come up with something more substantial instead of a tinfoil conspiracy theory.

I don't have any brand loyalty whatsoever. I don't give a single crap who's who. It's the principle of being against claims abuse.

I see it happen all the time. If the move was really legit, "Hasbro" would have moved to attack ALL the recent 3P and KO review videos. They didn't. Second, it's not unheard of that some random guy pretend to be a company just to shut down something they don't like. And finally, some "lawyers" firm make their job to make as much claims as possible in order to make easy cash.

I know the pattern. I saw too many stories of this kind unfold. And I smell the bull for miles.

The truth will come out in a few weeks. If it's legitimately Hasbro who have decided to finally declare war against 3P-formers, numerous 3P videos will be claimed and stores like SITE SPONSORS Big Bad Toy Stores and TF Source will be forced to stop selling 3P products.
But my money is on the false DMCA claim. It will either be a "I told you so", or some serious s**t is about to hit the biggest fan ever.
Re: 3rd Party (Not) Unicron Apparently Removed by Hasbro (2038238)
Posted by Burn on September 14th, 2019 @ 4:31am CDT
Give it up mate, you're just sprouting some tinfoil hat conspiracy. You have ZERO evidence to back it up other than "the truth is out there and it will reveal itself".

Hasbro have more than likely left a lot of the 3P stuff alone because the legal fees made it unjustifiable.

This is a MAJOR project for them, Zeta timed things VERY badly and now they've borne the brunt.

This investment of Hasbros is worth the legal fees.

Re: 3rd Party (Not) Unicron Apparently Removed by Hasbro (2038239)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on September 14th, 2019 @ 4:45am CDT
Burn wrote:Accept that your precious 3P got a smack down and that YOU are being the butthurt fanboy, not the ones you claim to be behind these "false" claims.

Now it's YOU who is making up a "conspiracy" theory. Because I don't give a single fox about the Zeta. I DO NOT HAVE ANY BRAND LOYALTY AND NOTHING IS "PRECIOUS".

I base my assumption on how it happened all over the place for numerous things. Like in the peak of the MLP fandom or often with "conservative" videos. Most have been restored over time or slightly modded to be legal.

As I repeat myself, I saw this happen over and over. And only time will tell if the claim is legit or not. Beside, if the claim is legit, Hasbro themselves will make an official statement. I'm waiting for that.
Re: 3rd Party (Not) Unicron Apparently Removed by Hasbro (2038242)
Posted by Doom Saber on September 14th, 2019 @ 6:01am CDT
Decepticon Stryker wrote:
D-Maximal_Primal wrote:
Stargrave wrote:Zeta took all their Unicron stuff off FB maybe Hasbro said something.

Just heard the same thing, strange that it went down so quick.

I agree with the earlier sentiments that Zeta's thing was a total dick move on their part. I really don't like 3rd parties for the most part.

All their stuff is still up on non-U.S. sites. Probably to avoid trouble from Hasbro. My best guess is that it wasn't supposed to be a dick move. I think they were expecting Unicron to fail and planned their announcement to come out after the original deadline, but then the deadline got pushed back and their announcement did not.

I disagree considering that Zeta Toys PUSHED their announcement to the day when Hasbro announced the deadline extension by a month. I remember using the translation feature on FB to view the Zeta Toys Star Core announcement as it was originally in Chinese. It said that because of unexpected news, they decided to show figure reveal ahead of schedule - the initial reveal date was September 10th. Zeta was hoping that the official version would fail at the original deadline so that can swoop in to "white knight" the backers by offering their version of the planet eater in Seotember.
Re: 3rd Party (Not) Unicron Apparently Removed by Hasbro (2038243)
Posted by GotBot on September 14th, 2019 @ 6:22am CDT
I see, so rather than actually rework their offering into some thing good, and/or lower the price to something reasonable, they decide to put the screws to the little guy who was doing a better job than them, and bully customers. News flash, many of us interested in Zeta had absolutely no intention of letting ourselves be ripped off by the lazy lord of hunchbacks anyway. As I see it, the 2 offerings are largely serving 2 very different types of collectors anyway. All this shows me is how deep the Hasbro greed goes and how pathetically desperate they are. If any shred of me had any inclination to crowd fund a billion dollar multinational company before, it sure as shit is evaporated now.
Re: 3rd Party (Not) Unicron Apparently Removed by Hasbro (2038244)
Posted by Jeddostotle7 on September 14th, 2019 @ 6:25am CDT
Re: 3rd Party (Not) Unicron Apparently Removed by Hasbro (2038245)
Posted by Burn on September 14th, 2019 @ 6:53am CDT
-Kanrabat- wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I never came up with any conspiracy theory, you're the one that's been sprouting all this shit about "Hasbro fanboys making false DMCA complaints".
Re: 3rd Party (Not) Unicron Apparently Removed by Hasbro (2038246)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on September 14th, 2019 @ 7:04am CDT
Jeddostotle7 wrote:I'm not gonna necessarily go in on the """conspiracy theory""" about this being a false claim (despite the fact there have been several times random parties have claimed YouTube videos they don't have any legitimate claim over, ostensibly but almost certainly not actually on the behalf of the parties that do), but even with it likely being Hasbro, I don't necessarily think they're now gonna just tear down the third party market, since the word Unicron actually was used in the video, which is more blatant than most third party companies are. Given Hasbro's seeming policy the past several years of looking the other way wrt third party, I think they might have considered this specifically as stepping over the line, rather than the straw that broke the camel's back. I wouldn't be surprised if all that Hasbro did was take down the video, and then Zeta removed their own posts from western social media just to be safe.

AH-HA! And there's the thing that strayed from the gray zone.
All Zeta have to do now is remove the copyrighted name, and everything will be back on track.
That was a pretty amateurish blunder that is easy to correct.

Anyway, everything should be restored pretty soon. Still, I hope that they don't hurry and that they take the time to correct some flaws that have been pointed out.

Buy "Transformers Authentics Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 07 Leader Class Movie 4 Grimlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Masterpiece Movie Series Barricade MPM-5" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Nucleon and Galvatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Premier Edition Deluxe Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 01 Deluxe Class Movie 1 Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #251 - Bob Lobclaw's Rumor Mill
"Bob Lobclaw's Rumor Mill"
Posted: Sunday, May 24th, 2020

Buy "Transformers Legends - LG65 Targetmaster Twin Twist" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Legends - LG64 Seaspray & Lione (Sawback)" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Leader Class Powermaster Optimus Prime 100% Complete" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Golden Lagoon Beachcomber Perceptor and Seaspray Wonderfest" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Seaspray" on EBAY
Buy "New Transformers Generations Titans Return Leader Class Sixshot & Revolver MISB" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titan Returns SCOURGE w/ FRACAS New Sealed GENERATIONS" on EBAY
Buy "2 Transformers: Generations Junkheap & Titans return Scourge. New." on EBAY