BotCon 2012 Exclusive Set Hype Begins

BotCon 2012 Exclusive Set Hype Begins

Friday, September 9th, 2011 12:42am CDT

Categories: Toy News, Collector's Club News
Posted by: El Duque   Views: 48,559

Over the past couple of days BotCon has been busy updating their official twitter account with little tidbits of information regarding the 2012 convention exclusive boxset. To read all their tweets click here, but in a nutshell:

• The Mock-ups for the set are done
  • They feel this set may be the best they've ever produced, definitely in the top three
  • If you're 80's fan, one figure in the set will be "MUST HAVE Transformer of the year"
  • Three of the characters are getting their first updates ever
  • Two of the figures draw upon the "distant past"
  • The set is not TFA
  • The "MUST HAVE" figure is one of the characters getting their first update ever

They have also tweeted an image of their sculpter's work table. If you look closely you can see a tiny sliver of three of the new heads at the far bottom left of the image. There is also a partial head on the left side of the wax pile. Image mirrored below.

Credit(s): BotCon's twitter feed

This article was last modified on Friday, September 9th, 2011 1:17am CDT

Re: BotCon 2012 Exclusive Set Hype Begins (1287281)
Posted by 0ptimus Prime on September 9th, 2011 @ 12:59am CDT
Ariel and Orion Pax as the distant past, and Elita-1?
Re: BotCon 2012 Exclusive Set Hype Begins (1287282)
Posted by TulioDude on September 9th, 2011 @ 12:59am CDT
It could be anyone,but the round head reminds me of G1 Bee or Guzzle.
Re: BotCon 2012 Exclusive Set Hype Begins (1287284)
Posted by frogbat on September 9th, 2011 @ 1:12am CDT
Re distant past... There are few options.... Though as far as I know there have been alpha trion and Orion pax toys....

One tf that hasn't had a toy update that comes to mind is hoist... And trail breaker only had a legends version right?

I'm not a fan of exclusives especially for must haves as they put it.... Yay for hasbro releasing the coneheads
Re: BotCon 2012 Exclusive Set Hype Begins (1287287)
Posted by LiKwid on September 9th, 2011 @ 1:40am CDT
How bout a date and location....then I'll get excited.. :roll:
Re: BotCon 2012 Exclusive Set Hype Begins (1287293)
Posted by ILL-Star on September 9th, 2011 @ 3:09am CDT
Looked at a list of characters that appeared in the show. Not too many seem to fit the bill and I assume they'd have to be characters seen in the american cartoon and comics.
Re: BotCon 2012 Exclusive Set Hype Begins (1287295)
Posted by ILL-Star on September 9th, 2011 @ 3:12am CDT
And I too am more interested in the location. Hope to Primus it aint on the West Coast again or my dear spark shall be crushed.... .. again.
Re: BotCon 2012 Exclusive Set Hype Begins (1287304)
Posted by Flux Convoy on September 9th, 2011 @ 3:36am CDT
LiKwid wrote:How bout a date and location....then I'll get excited.. :roll:

Plan for Spring/Summer in the continental US. Seriously though, just start saving money now. I'll go wherever it ends up being. I'd like to go back to Orlando again but I love flying to someplace new too. I'm intrigued by what the set could be.
:BOT:
Re: BotCon 2012 Exclusive Set Hype Begins (1287305)
Posted by Shadowstream on September 9th, 2011 @ 3:44am CDT
Unless it's within driving distance, I won't give a damn.
Re: BotCon 2012 Exclusive Set Hype Begins (1287310)
Posted by Sodan-1 on September 9th, 2011 @ 4:29am CDT
The rotten teases.
Re: BotCon 2012 Exclusive Set Hype Begins (1287325)
Posted by Doubledealer93 on September 9th, 2011 @ 6:08am CDT
i will be excited when i actually see some pics of the new toys. i just hope they are ones i can add to my classics collection
Re: BotCon 2012 Exclusive Set Hype Begins (1287328)
Posted by emeraldbeacon on September 9th, 2011 @ 6:10am CDT
Well, by my analysis...

The "Distant Past" could mean a lot of things. Are we talking beginning of the civil war, like "War Dawn"? The Quintesson war, like "Forever is a Long Time Coming"? I doubt Beast Wars (it's not very 80s), but could it go back to the Originals?

"80s fans" would seem to imply that we're talking G1; every other continuity is from the 90s or later. Given that, what three characters are getting their first ever update? What toys from that era have never been refreshed? Has anyone ever NOT been revisited?

Characters that stand out to me from that timeframe are the Insecticons, Trailbreaker (who did get a Legends class), some of the Female Autobots, perhaps Devcon, along with a multitude of others.

Oddly, they didn't say "GeeWun", but "80s". That could mean something that I really hope is true... they're finally going to integrate the GoBots continuity into Transformers proper! After all, we've learned that their universe is collapsing, and many have been fleeing into the Classicsverse. How about Silverbolt as Leader-1? Wreck-Gar as CyKill? Cybertron Scourge, as Zod?

Alternately, they could be screwing with us, and giving us a complete set of movie Bumblebee redecos...
Re: BotCon 2012 Exclusive Set Hype Begins (1287331)
Posted by cannonfodder4000 on September 9th, 2011 @ 6:16am CDT
Hmm, two dragon heads in the background...I've got it! this set is going to be composed of Doublecross, Hunn-Grr, and RID Megatron in their cybertronian modes! and some other guys...

You heard it here first folks! 8)
Re: BotCon 2012 Exclusive Set Hype Begins (1287335)
Posted by f-primus-unicron on September 9th, 2011 @ 6:40am CDT
the MUST HAVE cant be hoist, alpha trion, elita - one, or trailbreaker,( gears, swerve had many version so they are not in the list)
because elitaone had her timelines thunderclash remold, alpha trion his vector prime remold, trailbreaker his legend class figure (and they said its not trailbreaker) and hoist his longarm repaint (yes, the movie one,but it counts as an update)
so whats left?
orion pax maybe? can be a repaint/remold/retool of sargeant kup
Re: BotCon 2012 Exclusive Set Hype Begins (1287338)
Posted by GetRightRobot on September 9th, 2011 @ 7:14am CDT

Scourge=Devcon.
Kup=Pax
(distant past)

3rd figure to get its first retooling/paint would be=Lugnut, Galvatron, Perceptor, Warpath, Octane, Astrotrain... from the classics line atleast...I know there is more. :-?
Re: BotCon 2012 Exclusive Set Hype Begins (1287343)
Posted by Astronopolis on September 9th, 2011 @ 7:46am CDT
GetRightRobot wrote:Devcon and Orion Pax. Trailbreaker, Gears, and Brawn are NOT candidates, according to their Twitter feed.

you sure theyre not pulling a michael bay and flat out lying to mislead us? the only reason im saying is because the head in the wax (poo!) looks alot like brawn to me.
Re: BotCon 2012 Exclusive Set Hype Begins (1287345)
Posted by WolfDawg on September 9th, 2011 @ 7:50am CDT
I was hoping for a Machine Wars tribute...or maybe even a Transtech tribute. G1 is always getting a ton of love, so it's hard for me to get excited about this set. Every character I liked from the 80's cartoon has received a proper HasTak release, so I've already lost interest in this set.

Give us some more obscure continuities and then we'll talk. But the usual Jee Wun fanwank doesn't do it for me anymore. >:oP
Re: BotCon 2012 Exclusive Set Hype Begins (1287347)
Posted by Blackstreak on September 9th, 2011 @ 7:55am CDT
What would really be awesome are components to form a massive sized Metroplex (my vote), Trypticon, Omega Supreme, or Fortress Maximus. If I had a way of garage kitting something like that I'd do it.

However, that's not gonna happen. I may have to compile a list of what hasn't been updated yet and take a stab at who they are doing for the 2012 set. Hopefully it's a combinable team. Has/Tak has yet to do that for the Classics/Generations (no, repaints don't count).
Re: BotCon 2012 Exclusive Set Hype Begins (1287349)
Posted by Agamemnon on September 9th, 2011 @ 8:08am CDT
Ideas:

Sky Lynx from DotM Hatchet?
Sandstorm
Broadside
True triple changer Springer?

Ideas I'd love to see, but I don't think are feasable:
Any of the combiners, like the Technobots, Predacons, Terrorcons, Protectobots, and Stuntacons.

Too big to be convention exclusives, I think (though didn't they do an Energon Scorponok repaint?):
Omega Supreme
Trypticon

That's pretty much it from looking through the characters in G1, unless the 3 part headmasters season 4 is considered. Yet, that popularity pales in comparison to the other seasons.

Outside from my first suggestion, I don't have any toy ideas for the others at this time.
Re: BotCon 2012 Exclusive Set Hype Begins (1287350)
Posted by Astronopolis on September 9th, 2011 @ 8:09am CDT
Botcon sets used to be the pinnacle of Transformers toys, but ever since the Seekers and Scourge debacle im not really all that keen on them anymore. who wants a 3 year old mold with a new head when a better designed totally new figure available for mass consumption will be made not a year later?

Botcon should leave their hands off of G1 characters and cover ancillary fiction only.
Re: BotCon 2012 Exclusive Set Hype Begins (1287354)
Posted by Stumpybot on September 9th, 2011 @ 8:25am CDT
im guessing shockwave will be in there. he's an 80s toy without a neo-classics re-do, and there could be Masterforce/victory characters in there. Star Saber, Overlord and maybe a few updated pretenders characters

the ancient past ones could turn out to be some of the original 13

Buy "Transformers Authentics Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers MPM04 Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Bania Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 13 Voyager Class Movie 2 Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Windblade" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #264 - Kingdom Come
"Kingdom Come"
Posted: Sunday, November 22nd, 2020

Buy "Transformers ReAction Figures by Super 7 (Wave 1 Complete) Optimus, Megatron etc" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers War for Cybertron Paradron Medics Ratchet and Lifeline" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers WFC Earthrise RATCHET & LIFELINE Paradron Medics 2-Pack MISB in USA" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Earthrise Lot 4 RollerForce Groundhog DirectHit PowerPunch Double" on EBAY
Buy "IN HAND Transformers WFC Galactic Odyssey Paradron Medics RATCHET LIFELINE MISB" on EBAY
Buy "WSC-GS21, DECEPTICON SANDSTORM TRANSFORMERS, GENERATIONS SELECTS 2020,  IN HAND!" on EBAY