Preview for IDW Transformers vs The Visionaries #1

Transformers News: Preview for IDW Transformers vs The Visionaries #1

Thursday, December 21st, 2017 8:12AM CST

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 8,352

Keeping up the marketing momentum, IDW Publishing have directly posted a preview for the upcoming first issue of their latest Hasbro universe crossover series, helmed by Magdalene Visaggio and Fico Ossio: Transformers vs The Visionaries #1!

We don't get too much more than what we first saw in the iTunes preview, posted here, but we do have an extra couple of pages added to the opening, and some additional characters introduced next to Merklynn, and alongside old Cybertronians Kup and Ironhide. Check it out below!

Cybertron has been invaded. The Transformers encounter unwelcome guests at the heart of Cybertron—and they may not have their hosts’ best interests at heart. Refugees from another world, the Visionaries' startling magical abilities could make them powerful allies... or dangerous enemies.

Transformers News: Preview for IDW Transformers vs The Visionaries #1

Transformers News: Preview for IDW Transformers vs The Visionaries #1

Transformers News: Preview for IDW Transformers vs The Visionaries #1

Transformers News: Preview for IDW Transformers vs The Visionaries #1

Transformers News: Preview for IDW Transformers vs The Visionaries #1
Credit(s): IDW
Re: Preview for IDW Transformers vs The Visionaries #1 (1927645)
Posted by Deadput on December 21st, 2017 @ 10:52pm CST
Re: Preview for IDW Transformers vs The Visionaries #1 (1927663)
Posted by Transcendent30 on December 22nd, 2017 @ 3:55am CST
Re: Preview for IDW Transformers vs The Visionaries #1 (1927665)
Posted by Va'al on December 22nd, 2017 @ 4:03am CST
Transcendent30 wrote:More race and gender baiting SJW nonsense from IDW, quickly going the way of Marvel. I'm sorry but Leoric is a white guy (along with Matt Trakker from MASK). These characters look NOTHING like Visionaries at all, but rather an obvious SJW political vehicle, for the white/man shaming of much loved franchises of the past. There is nothing wrong with being white. If they want ethnic minority characters, make NEW characters and NEW stories. The Visionaries are white male characters in fantasy knight armor. Deal with it. SJWs are destroying everything I hold dear at the moment. I'm boycotting all IDW publications from now on, until they decide to get rid of the identity politics. This is not Visionaries and it's not Transformers. It's sickening, forced "diversity" and no longer fun.

;)^
Re: Preview for IDW Transformers vs The Visionaries #1 (1927672)
Posted by Deadput on December 22nd, 2017 @ 6:05am CST

Welcome to real life, things happen.
Re: Preview for IDW Transformers vs The Visionaries #1 (1927684)
Posted by Daniel Adkins on December 22nd, 2017 @ 9:44am CST

As someone who didn’t watch Visionaries, I’m curious, what part of Leoric’s character requires him to be a white man?
Re: Preview for IDW Transformers vs The Visionaries #1 (1927708)
Posted by Transcendent30 on December 22nd, 2017 @ 11:46am CST
What "requires him to be a white man"? - The very fact his character IS a white man, with dark brown hair & tash too. I wouldn't want him given blond hair, red hair, long hair, or any other change to how he looked originally. Why change his skin colour to black? Reason - to fulfill the race obsessed bullshit of the far left SJWs, who have taken over most comic books and movies at the moment. They did this to Matt Trakker in MASK and other characters too. Would we see a new Blade, Steel or Spawn comic with the main character turned from black to white? Nope. I'm SICK of the race games. If they want black Visionaries, make new characters and fit them into the story. DO NOT be changing already established characters to fit your bullshit world views. *End of rant.*
Re: Preview for IDW Transformers vs The Visionaries #1 (1927711)
Posted by Va'al on December 22nd, 2017 @ 11:57am CST
Transcendent30 wrote: *End of rant.*

If Only.
Re: Preview for IDW Transformers vs The Visionaries #1 (1927718)
Posted by Transcendent30 on December 22nd, 2017 @ 12:44pm CST
These things make me angry.
Re: Preview for IDW Transformers vs The Visionaries #1 (1928519)
Posted by partholon on December 28th, 2017 @ 8:10am CST
Deadput wrote:How come IDW goes out of their way to portray most organics as stupid, smug bastards?

stupid smug writers prehaps ?

im more worried about what they see as acceptable art TBH.
Re: Preview for IDW Transformers vs The Visionaries #1 (1928618)
Posted by Daniel Adkins on December 28th, 2017 @ 4:14pm CST
Re: Preview for IDW Transformers vs The Visionaries #1 (1928691)
Posted by Soundwave902 on December 28th, 2017 @ 11:46pm CST
Daniel Adkins wrote:Am I just crazy? Why am I the only person who seems to like Fico Ossio? (Though I'd much prefer if Sebastian Cheng was back on from Revolutionaries)

I usually like Ossio's art on humans and usually 'bots, like Ironhide and Kup, but sometimes the 'bots look a little iffy, like Victorion and Windblade
Re: Preview for IDW Transformers vs The Visionaries #1 (1928692)
Posted by Daniel Adkins on December 28th, 2017 @ 11:48pm CST
Soundwave902 wrote:

I let Windblade and Victorian slide since he drew those characters early on in his Transformers career. Over the course of Revolutionaries, he has improved immensely.
Re: Preview for IDW Transformers vs The Visionaries #1 (1929216)
Posted by Va'al on January 2nd, 2018 @ 4:56am CST
Despite having seen the majority of these pages already in this previous story from IDW Publishing, CBR has posted a fuller preview of this week's first issue in a new crossover miniseries - Transformers vs The Visionaries #1! Check it out below, and head back to Seibertron.com after its release for a review.

[quote]Story by
Magdalene Visaggio
Art by
Fico Ossio
Colors by
David Garcia Cruz
Letters by
Gilberto Lazcano
Cover by
Andrew Griffith, Angel Hernandez, Brendan Cahill, and Fico Ossio

Cybertron has been invaded. The Transformers encounter unwelcome guests at the heart of Cybertron—and they may not have their hosts’ best interests at heart. Refugees from another world, the Visionaries’ startling magical abilities could make them powerful allies… or dangerous enemies.

Welcome Eisner-nominated writer Magdalene Visaggio (Kim and Kim, Quantum Teens are Go, Secret Empire: Brave New World, Edge of the Venomverse) to the IDW family!
The Visionaries make their explosive return to comics!
Magic vs. metal!
Variant covers by Brendan Cahill and Angel Hernandez!
[/quote]

Re: Preview for IDW Transformers vs The Visionaries #1 (1929385)
Posted by ScottyP on January 3rd, 2018 @ 8:50am CST
I disliked this comic so much I already canceled my subscription for the rest of the series. Not everyone will loathe it, just personally found what were actually really well done visuals and layouts (it almost doesn't need dialogue) bogged down by a lazy, uncreative, and vapid plot. Va'al will have a review up sometime this week and will be nicer than I would have been by quite a bit.
Re: Preview for IDW Transformers vs The Visionaries #1 (1929429)
Posted by Va'al on January 3rd, 2018 @ 11:09am CST

More Like Old Prysmos
(Spoiler free-ish)

Synopsis

evil wizard probably still evil

Story

It's a new year, and a new month, and a new week, so of course, we have a new comic book day -- with a new IDW Publishing Hasbro shared universe crossover which brings a new reality and a new threat to a newly found order and semblance of peace on Cybertron, in the form of Merklynn's Visionaries. And here's my first disclaimer: I never had any interest of knowledge of Visionaries: Knights of the Magical Light.

Yep, all of them

With that taken care of, I'll admit I was able to follow the entirety of the plot and the dynamics - personal, interpersonal, interplanetary, inner and outer - that are being set up by newcomer to the Transformers part of the universe Magdalene Visaggio. And for the Visionaries part of the story, despite some admittedly by-the-numbers characterisations and set-ups, I wasn't displeased.

...and then we get here

On the Transformers side of the story however, issues arise. Aplenty. The core Cybertronian cast is small, but that is not an issue - Ironhide, Kup, Wheeljack can easily carry a story, as Revolutionaries and issues in the ongoings have shown - but their personalities here do not feel coherent with their previous IDW incarnation at all, even following more of a G1 animated series couple of pointers at times. Which actually has repercussions on the way the plot unravels.

also Breakdown is in it

And that is the crux of the issue: Cybertron is in peril, again. Realities will be shattered, again. We've just had a new status quo established on the planet after First Strike and as this issue is starting up - and just like that, everything comes crumbling down in the most lazy, forced, unnecessary way possible. More on this below.

Art

As I mentioned in the initial part of the review, the story is perfectly understandable, readable, and legible - and that is a virtue in the layouts too. Fico Ossio works extremely well with what Visaggio sets out, and we have a story that works from a visual perspective, as well as some pleasing improvements in the treatment of Cybertronian features since the early days of Revolution.

thassa good mug

Similarly, as with the previous work on First Strike, the colours by David Garcia Cruz work really well with the new (help me say it here, though) take on technology vs magic, giving us both vibrancy and shadow where required, and working well with partner in crime Ossio. Some of the background lightings are particularly noteworthy.

DOOT you too

I did also quite enjoy the lettering work of Gilberto Lazcano, perhaps more subdued than others in the approach to the craft, but still expertly weaving through the layouts to clarify points, names, and emphasis where required by the script and story. And while we have seen a lot of the covers already - you can check them all out in our database of course - the Brendan Cahill / Lauren Bennett one chosen for the thumbnail is perhaps the most poignant (if anything had landed in the story).

Thoughts
WARNING: this may contain spoilers

We have seen all of the issues and problems that this book has brought to light once before, featuring the same exact characters and set-up, already: Infestation. And much like Infestation, there is nothing there that hooked me in any way to keep on reading or covering the series with any interest. In fact, the reaction I have seen to the final events range from the 'unnecessary, but meh' to complete, and I'd say justified, frustration and anger.

...

My main point, however? I blame very little on this on the writing, the script, or the directly involved creative team (the credited ones, I mean) - this feels a lot, almost reeks, of editorial mandates. The editorial backmatter, to me and many others, confirms that. The multiple misspellings (Breakdown, Trailblazer) and insistence on certain points confirm it. The multiple covers showing gruesome deaths of Cybertronian characters are part of the confirmation too.

And after the affirmation brought by the likes of Optimus Prime and Till All Are One, and Lost Light to a lesser extent, this was entirely unnecessary, and unfair to Visaggio, Ossio, and the rest of the team.

. :HASBRO: :HASBRO: out of :HASBRO: :HASBRO: :HASBRO: :HASBRO: :HASBRO:

Re: Preview for IDW Transformers vs The Visionaries #1 (1929446)
Posted by ScottyP on January 3rd, 2018 @ 11:54am CST

On editorial, man the personnel moves are tough to follow but isn't Tipton involved again? Because it feels that way.
Re: Preview for IDW Transformers vs The Visionaries #1 (1929450)
Posted by Va'al on January 3rd, 2018 @ 12:12pm CST
ScottyP wrote:Great review! :APPLAUSE: Really encapsulates how I felt about it (generally very negatively) while pointing out the genuinely very good art, colors, lighting, letters, and, characterization issues aside, dialogue.

Gaydos, Guzman, and Mariotte were on this one, apparently.
Re: Preview for IDW Transformers vs The Visionaries #1 (1929455)
Posted by Scrounge1984 on January 3rd, 2018 @ 12:25pm CST
Re: Preview for IDW Transformers vs The Visionaries #1 (1929480)
Posted by ScottyP on January 3rd, 2018 @ 1:05pm CST
Scrounge1984 wrote:Yeah, this does seem like an issue with checking the hasbro box instead of writing and lack of effort. This is why I'm not entirely against the Unicron reboot, although I haven't been reading as long so I can see why some are disappointed.
The Unicron story itself is not a reboot. It has been speculated by fans to be a way for them to end the current continuity and then do a reboot, but this is only conjecture for the moment :)
Re: Preview for IDW Transformers vs The Visionaries #1 (1929481)
Posted by D-Maximus_Prime on January 3rd, 2018 @ 1:05pm CST
Really? [spoiler]They killed Kup like that. Bah![/spoiler]
Transformers products from AMAZON

Featured Products

You save: 49%
You save: 47%
You save: 36%
You save: 28%
You save: 22%
Buy "Playskool Heroes Transformers Rescue Bots Optimus Prime Racing Trailer" on AMAZON
You save: 22%