IDW Transformers #10 Review

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

IDW Transformers #10 Review

Postby william-james88 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:46 am

Welcome to Dull
A Review of Transformers #10

Spoilers and new character appearances will be referenced below


Image


If you read issue 7 (the last one I reviewed) and wanted more shots of bots talking while walking up stairs, then you will be tickled pink with this issue. The first few pages are all about stairs and talking.

Image


But that is far from the most boring part, because after Bumblebee and Elita One protect Megatron as he is going up some stairs, we get several pages dedicated to the meeting Megatron attends. This is easily the most exciting scene since the Jedi meetings from the Phantom Menace.

I know comparing something to the Star Wars prequels is old and tired by now, but that is really the best comparison to reading this comic. Not only are the scenes and their pacing ridiculously similar to what we saw in Star Wars Episode 1, but this whole concept of exploring a time before the era we know just brings the comparison home. There was even a scene with a drawn out discussion where the word "Decepticon" is being created before our eyes that reminded me of when Medichlorians were explained to young Anakin.



This same council meeting scene also brought upon loads of complaints from me about this series as a whole and what it was. We have some really deep cuts with an appearance of Heretech, a character only ever seen in the previous IDW universe (I once covered his first appearance in a special feature), and I find his appearance aggravating on a narrative/world building level. Is he any different to the character he was (or will become) in the previous IDW comic? Because if he is not, then why should I care about seeing him here. And yet, if this is the same character we know, then what is the point of all this being a new universe anyway? In the end, this series is just an unexplored era of the previous IDW universe through a different lens while adding inconsistencies and boredome, just like the Star Wars prequels.

Image


Does that mean this issue is all bad? Well, there is one good aspect with the introduction of Shockwave. Of course, this comes with the reveal that indeed nothing is new here and bad guys are bad while good guys are good, but at least we get Shockwave. And a well written Shockwave at that. I love how he was always a Decepticon simply because that's where his interests lined up more than any loyalty to Megatron himself and we see that here again. I do see the irony in me complimenting how this issue is now becoming completely complacent with the characters as we know them, but there is also a cathartic sense that we can now move on and no longer pretend that we are doing anything different.

Once again, we have 3 artists contributing to the book and there is no order to it. Just look at the how the comic is organized:

ANGEL HERNANDEZ (pages 1-3, 6-13)
ANNA MALKOVA (pages 4-5, 19-20)
BETH MCGUIRE-SMITH (pages 14-18)

I would say my favourite of the bunch was Mcguire-Smith. I liked their depiction of Shockwave and it's the segment of the comic that I felt the colourist (Josh Burcham in this instant) and artist gelled best together. Of course we do also get shots of Siege Megatron's tank mode which looks ridiculous in comic form with the feet sticking out. The fact that the tank barrel isn't included in the drawings only makes it look worse.

Image


The covers available feature Beth Mcguire-Smith as the main cover artist. Thomas Deer drew the Starscream cover that has been associated to this issue since solicits. This Mohawk artist from near my hometown in Canada has been colouring Transformers comics for a while and it is great to have him contribute a cover. Jeffrey Veregge does the cover for the retailer incentive variant.
As always, you can also find images of all of the book's covers along with full credits for the issue in our Vector Sigma Database page for Transformers #10.

Verdict


I didn't like this issue and it highlighted other problems I have with the series as a whole. It just doesn't feel like something worth spending our time and money on, especially when similar themes have been explored before and done better. At the same time, there was some comfort in characters finally showing their true colours and the fact that any pleasantries with this book being "a bold new era" would be put aside. I would have loved something new and exploring themes set up by James Roberts, but if this is what we are getting out of it, might as well just stick to the well known formula of good vs evil. As boring as it sounds, it can't be more boring than this.

Final Score
. :BOT:
out of
:BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT:
If you have any news, rumours, or hot new sightings to report which you feel should be front paged,
please contact us using this form.

Image
User avatar
william-james88
News Admin
Posts: 25179
News Credits: 2473
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:46 am
Buy from william-james88 on eBay

Re: IDW Transformers #10 Review

Postby Counterpunch » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:13 am

Motto: "Everything I do is divinely sanctioned."
Weapon: Jawbreaker Cannon
Damn.

I'll be curious to see how those who disagree frame their argument.
Image
User avatar
Counterpunch
Podcast Host
Posts: 11230
News Credits: 124
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2003 9:56 pm
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 6
Endurance: 5
Rank: 9
Courage: 9
Firepower: 4
Skill: 7

Re: IDW Transformers #10 Review

Postby Lore Keeper » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:49 am

Counterpunch wrote:Damn.

I'll be curious to see how those who disagree frame their argument.


■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■
■~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~■
■~~~~~~~~~ I disagree! ~~~~~~~~~■
■~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~■
■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■
User avatar
Lore Keeper
Combiner
Posts: 456
News Credits: 1
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: IDW Transformers #10 Review

Postby ScottyP » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:10 am

Weapon: Battle Blades
Counterpunch wrote:Damn.

I'll be curious to see how those who disagree frame their argument.
I agree with just about everything said.

But I did like the back ~half or so of this one. The last page was super fun to me, but they've squandered momentum a few times now so it's a big "we'll see" for me.
User avatar
ScottyP
Faction Commander
Posts: 4971
News Credits: 482
Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 3:42 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC
Buy from ScottyP on eBay

Re: IDW Transformers #10 Review

Postby sol magnus » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:55 am

Motto: "This is the most beautiful thing in the entire universe. Ok, give me the bomb."
Weapon: Laser Rifle
Your time and money. It's not worth spending YOUR time and money on.
sol magnus
Headmaster Jr
Posts: 549
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:39 am
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 6
Endurance: 9
Rank: 9
Courage: 10
Firepower: 7
Skill: 9

Re: IDW Transformers #10 Review

Postby william-james88 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:07 pm

Lore Keeper wrote:
Counterpunch wrote:Damn.

I'll be curious to see how those who disagree frame their argument.


■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■
■~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~■
■~~ I disagree! ~~~■
■~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~■
■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■


:lol:

Anyways, I could have said a lot more, especially about the heretech thing but he's such an unknown character to many that people wouldn't care much. Still, I'll say it here. That guy is a walking blasphemy, that's his shtick (and name). So having him appear as he does (with the matrix emblem) in that meeting is just so off. That whole look was based off of his twisted sense of religion, and since none of that is of concern here, then why does he still look like that?
If you have any news, rumours, or hot new sightings to report which you feel should be front paged,
please contact us using this form.

Image
User avatar
william-james88
News Admin
Posts: 25179
News Credits: 2473
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:46 am
Buy from william-james88 on eBay

Re: IDW Transformers #10 Review

Postby Randomhero » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:56 am

I liked it. I enjoyed the issue a lot. The wheels are rolling and things are being revealed and certain people machinations are coming to light.

I liked the characters and reintroduction of my all time favorite character.

All in all I found it to be a solid issue.
Randomhero
Gestalt
Posts: 2587
News Credits: 2
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:02 pm

Re: IDW Transformers #10 Review

Postby serre prime » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:06 am

i was happy to see flatline,
once again, i'm not satisfied by the story.
too bad we can't have only one artist by book.
serre prime
Mini-Con
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:03 am

Re: IDW Transformers #10 Review

Postby william-james88 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:32 pm

Randomhero wrote:The wheels are rolling and things are being revealed and certain people machinations are coming to light.

I liked the characters and reintroduction of my all time favorite character.


While I didn't like the issue, I do admit that these are solid points and I made sure to include that in this review. I do like the reveals because, as you say, now the wheels are rolling. I really do hope that this is indeed the start of a momentum and for it not to halt as it has in the past.
If you have any news, rumours, or hot new sightings to report which you feel should be front paged,
please contact us using this form.

Image
User avatar
william-james88
News Admin
Posts: 25179
News Credits: 2473
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:46 am
Buy from william-james88 on eBay

Re: IDW Transformers #10 Review

Postby sol magnus » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:39 pm

Motto: "This is the most beautiful thing in the entire universe. Ok, give me the bomb."
Weapon: Laser Rifle
Wheels have been rolling.

Why do you think Bumblebee is an Ascenticon? Why was he angry with Optimus (Orion) after Rubble's death? It's kind of right there.

I haven't picked up my copy of issue 10 yet, but plenty has "happened" even though it doesn't look sexy. Issue 6 probably was split out of "The World in Your Eyes" because somehow someone might have figured out that Pax isn't playing around with Megatron's vitriol anymore and the writer didn't want you to know he wasn't yet.
sol magnus
Headmaster Jr
Posts: 549
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:39 am
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 6
Endurance: 9
Rank: 9
Courage: 10
Firepower: 7
Skill: 9


Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Featured Products on Amazon.com

Buy "Transformers Titans Return Arcee Action Figure Set" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Class Grimlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Sinnertwin" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Megatronus Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Solus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Autobot Moonracer" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Terrorcon Rippersnapper" on AMAZON
Buy "Masterpiece MPM-7 Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Decepticon Dragstrip Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Dead End Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers B1798AS0 Warpath Figure Combiner Wars" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Robots in Disguise Warrior Class Bumblebee Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #228 - Afterthoughts
Twincast / Podcast #228:
"Afterthoughts"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Monday, August 12th, 2019

New Items on eBay

Buy "transformers age of extinction slug slag" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers War for Cybertron - Siege Leader Galaxy Upgrade Optimus Prime Figur" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Slog Voyager Class Age of Extinction Hasbro - G1 Colors " on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Construct Bots Decepticon Breakdown Scout Class E1:08 Hasbro Toys" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS AGE OF EXTINCTION  AUTOBOT HOUND   HASBRO 2014 MISB" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS THE LOYAL SUBJECTS DIRGE COMPLETE, Series Two 2014" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Series 1 The Loyal Subjects Vinyl Figures Bumblebee" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers AOE Hound Complete Age of Extinction Voyager" on EBAY