Comparisons Between Titans Return and G1 Toys of Kup and Perceptor

Comparisons Between Titans Return and G1 Toys of Kup and Perceptor

Tuesday, April 11th, 2017 8:08pm CDT

Categories: Toy News, Reviews
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 34,731

It is easy to take Hasbro toys for granted sometimes when they aren't as out of reach or prestigious as importing the Takara versions. But the recent reveal of Takara's take on Kup has left the community lukewarm due to it's odd colour reference. Many fans are now torn on which version of Kup to get for their collection so we are now showing you the Hasbro version side by side with what is being referenced, his G1 toy. These images from our fellow moderator Cobotron will give people a chance to see how close (or not) the homage is. This might not be the homage some fans are looking for, but what do you think of Hasbro's effort? Which is closer to its source between Hasbro and Takara? We also have comparisons between Titans Return Perceptor and his G1 toy, for you to see how close that homage is. Those pictures also include a close shot of the Titan Master for you to see how compares to the G1 toy head it is referencing. There are also other fun pictures of these two Titans Return toys, including comparison to their previous Classics releases.

Transformers News: Comparisons Between Titans Return and G1 Toys of Kup and Perceptor

This article was last modified on Tuesday, April 11th, 2017 10:34pm CDT

Re: Comparisons Between Titans Return and G1 Toys of Kup and Perceptor (1873852)
Posted by Hydrargyrus on April 11th, 2017 @ 8:29pm CDT
Nice!

We've been getting a few of these toy presentation-type things for a while. While I do love the opportunity to take a closer look, it leaves me wondering if/when the galleries will be released. I'm not trying to complain or invade, I've just been a bit surprised, as galleries were coming out really quickly not too long ago. I hope that makes sense.
Re: Comparisons Between Titans Return and G1 Toys of Kup and Perceptor (1873866)
Posted by william-james88 on April 11th, 2017 @ 9:07pm CDT
MagicDeath wrote:Nice!

They are on hiatus and will be back later this year sometime after the big movie's release.

Thanks for letting us know of your anticipation, it means a lot :)
Re: Comparisons Between Titans Return and G1 Toys of Kup and Perceptor (1873868)
Posted by Nemesis Maximo on April 11th, 2017 @ 9:10pm CDT
I told myself I wouldn't get that Perceptor. Stay strong Maximo, stay strong...
Re: Comparisons Between Titans Return and G1 Toys of Kup and Perceptor (1873869)
Posted by Gauntlet101010 on April 11th, 2017 @ 9:12pm CDT
I kinda regret passing on TR Kup, especially now that he's gone everywhere. Although I don't think either will replace eHobby's Kup; I want it just to have.

Re: Comparisons Between Titans Return and G1 Toys of Kup and Perceptor (1873872)
Posted by Hydrargyrus on April 11th, 2017 @ 9:28pm CDT
william-james88 wrote:
MagicDeath wrote:Nice!

Thanks for letting us know of your anticipation, it means a lot :)

Good to know! Thanks!
Re: Comparisons Between Titans Return and G1 Toys of Kup and Perceptor (1873878)
Posted by william-james88 on April 11th, 2017 @ 9:36pm CDT
Nemesis Maximo wrote:I told myself I wouldn't get that Perceptor. Stay strong Maximo, stay strong...

What didnt you like about him before and what is making you like him now?

If you want to stay strong, go to Cobotron's collection thread where he states how Perceptor is the weakest of the new molds in this wave. And I personally also think he is weaksauce compared to the others. He's a cool action figure, but not much of a Transformer.

Gauntlet101010 wrote:The comparisons actually show how good of a job Hasbro did colour matching to the G1 toy. Maybe that's why Takara chose to go radically different? So weird.

It is weird, specially since just having him dark teal like in the show would have been different enough.
Re: Comparisons Between Titans Return and G1 Toys of Kup and Perceptor (1873881)
Posted by Bronzewolf on April 11th, 2017 @ 9:42pm CDT
Sigma Magnus wrote: Also...

20170411_113104.jpg

Galaga double ship, anyone? :-P

YES. Finally someone did this! :BOWDOWN:
Re: Comparisons Between Titans Return and G1 Toys of Kup and Perceptor (1873886)
Posted by nycPrime on April 11th, 2017 @ 10:17pm CDT
Re: Comparisons Between Titans Return and G1 Toys of Kup and Perceptor (1873887)
Posted by Cobotron on April 11th, 2017 @ 10:20pm CDT
On Perceptor:
The more I played with him the more I liked him, but he IS the weakest of the wave (and that includes two repaints. 8-} ) I think the more I handle him the more I realize that there were maybe some ideas they were trying but abandoned. What those are I can't say. The tank mode was intentional, but they seemed to kind of sweep it under the rug. There's no mention of it in the instructions. They could have easily sculpted in a way to secure the TM in that mode but didn't. He just sits there. Then there are some hinged parts that don't do anything in any mode. Abandoned idea, or Pretooling for someone else?

I love the tank mode though, 'cause Microman and junk.

If you are after a more G1 styled Perceptor with a Microscope alt mode, he does that. He's not terrible, he's just not BREAK-DANCE-AWESOME-PANTS like Kup and Topspin are.

Kup is phenomenal though. I don't understand all the flack he got when revealed, and I stand by what I said then, when folks get him in hand they will change their tune. Is it just his colors? Is it the face sculpt? Even I was a bit skeptical about the head, until I saw it with my own eyes.
I personally prefer toy accuracy over all things, and Kup's colors are almost spot on. I was always a fan of what Classics did to G1 characters, and I think this Kup does that. Takes the old toy, modernizes his design and functionality, to make a great update. He has awesome articulation and a absolutely killer transformation. AND, a dude can ride in that cool space truck cab! PERFECT KUPDATE!

Will, didn't include any photos of Topspin because that's not what the article was about, so I'll throw a couple out here.

He is a real fun toy too. And he is 'UGE! The biggest Deluxe this line has seen.

Lots more photos and thoughts here.

Oh, and this.
:lol: ;)
Re: Comparisons Between Titans Return and G1 Toys of Kup and Perceptor (1873891)
Posted by william-james88 on April 11th, 2017 @ 10:46pm CDT
nycPrime wrote:Quick question, was a release date mentioned for that Siege on Cybertron box set? Is it confirmed to be a BBTS exclusive? I thought there would be some news of it since the Velocitron set is now available at TRU.

I asked the owner of BBTS and even he didnt know. They might not even have placed orders yet and orders are usually due months before a release. I have a good feeling it will be like those Platinum G1 Dinobots that turned out to be BBTS exclusive but got there after it was released everywhere else in the world.
Re: Comparisons Between Titans Return and G1 Toys of Kup and Perceptor (1873906)
Posted by Nemesis Maximo on April 12th, 2017 @ 12:57am CDT
william-james88 wrote:

What didnt you like about him before and what is making you like him now?

Only necause I already have RTS Perceptor, and I really really try not to double dip characters. There are exceptions: I got T30 Jetfire even though I have the OG Classics fig, because it's a clearly superior toy IMO; I have the three main flavors of the Classics Seekers, AND I got the Gen Armada Starscream (separate character sorta, I know, but still); and I got the DOTM Jetwing Prime even though (a) I have the ROTF leader already and (b) he's so Goddamn difficult to transform, but I just really wanted his transforming blaster cannon thing; and I got TR Hotrod, because i hate the Classics one; oh, and TR Brainstorm, even though I have the T30 one.

wow...I break my rule a lot...
Re: Comparisons Between Titans Return and G1 Toys of Kup and Perceptor (1873914)
Posted by TimothyR on April 12th, 2017 @ 3:01am CDT
Re: Comparisons Between Titans Return and G1 Toys of Kup and Perceptor (1873916)
Posted by Qwan on April 12th, 2017 @ 3:30am CDT
TimothyR wrote:It's a shame these titans return figures don't share the build quiality and ankle articulation of the previous iterations.

Which previous iterations, of which characters? I'd say that TR figures are honestly pretty close to some of the better Transformers figures we've gotten, all things considered. Yeah the plastic and build quality aren't fantastic but they're far from the worst we've seen - I'd hesitate to even call them below average honestly.

And the engineering that's going into them is honestly incredible compared to most mainline releases from throughout time. "G1 with articulation", while absolutely a valid aesthetic criticism, isn't remotely applicable for many of their transformations - it's a tired example by now, but I think Triggerhappy's engineering pretty much speaks for itself there.

Sure, maybe they don't have quite the number of articulation points of some "golden age" figs, but they sure can use what they have really well. Comparing, for instance, TR Hot Rod to his old Classics version there's literally no contest. In the end, I think everything balances out rather well for Titans Return. Perhaps not the absolute cream of the crop compared to some the really golden previous figures, but on the whole I'd say it's pretty close to the most consistently great line we've ever seen.

Okay wow I went way long on that. Sorry. I guess when I don't have much to respond to I end up compensating by just writing literally everything that could possibly be applicable. :oops:
Re: Comparisons Between Titans Return and G1 Toys of Kup and Perceptor (1873918)
Posted by frogbat on April 12th, 2017 @ 3:52am CDT
Nemesis Maximo wrote:
william-james88 wrote:

What didnt you like about him before and what is making you like him now?

wow...I break my rule a lot...

yep.. I was pissed off at first when CW figures were being released of Generations figures I just acquired what seemed not too long ago (without realising that in most cases it was 5 years +). I've had to draw a very blurred line in my head where my generations collection ends and my "current" collection begins and which figures are my de facto interpretations of the character. For example I haven't replaced my brainstorm or cyclonus.

I was sceptical about hot rod because I actually liked the generations figure but I was pleasantly surprised by the TR release... I prefer the Kup release and hope to get perceptor who is a huge improvement on the generations figure. Think inferno and grapple were the most disappointing figures in my generations collection I hope to have an update of one day...
Re: Comparisons Between Titans Return and G1 Toys of Kup and Perceptor (1873920)
Posted by TimothyR on April 12th, 2017 @ 5:24am CDT
Qwan wrote:

Kup and Perceptor.

There's no denying that the build quality has gone way downhill, we see a lot more pins than screws, rarely ankle articulation even on voyager and leader class figures, and the crazy obvious hollow limbs.

Sorry, but there's no denying that more effort and was put into the figures back when we the WFC figures were coming.

So, like I said, if they used the base transformations but used better materials, mechanisms, and fewer hollow limbs, they'd be better and probably last longer.. oh, and not painting the headmaster robot is pretty lame.

I was under the impression that prices rise in order to keep standards the same, but we've seen price rise and quality dip considerably. I mean, compare ROTF leader prime to AOE leader prime. The differences are jarring, yet AOE prime cost more, was less complex, had fewer paint apps, less articulation, and didn't include lights and sounds. (Not that I liked lights and sounds, but figured their removal might give way to a lower price, but that's not the case).

I like the headmasters, but there's no denying that they could be improved especially since they're supposedly meant for collectors. Instead, they're just RID figures with a collectors aesthetic.
Re: Comparisons Between Titans Return and G1 Toys of Kup and Perceptor (1873921)
Posted by william-james88 on April 12th, 2017 @ 6:23am CDT

They are meant for older fans, yes, but Hasbro defined that as 10 years old and up

So kids are still very much part of the focus.

And the price increase is related to inflation and production costs increasing. Marvel Legends and Star Wars Black figures also went up in price and cost the same as deluxes (or more) and these are toys that dont even transform with a way smaller parts count.
Re: Comparisons Between Titans Return and G1 Toys of Kup and Perceptor (1873959)
Posted by RAR on April 12th, 2017 @ 9:24am CDT
william-james88 wrote:

This Image makes me think there is some real potential for a Gap filler for the G1 Kup as it would only need to be a single piece that fits in his hand.
Re: Comparisons Between Titans Return and G1 Toys of Kup and Perceptor (1874009)
Posted by TF-fan kev777 on April 12th, 2017 @ 12:11pm CDT

Black Shadow.jpg
Re: Comparisons Between Titans Return and G1 Toys of Kup and Perceptor (1874010)
Posted by Nemesis Maximo on April 12th, 2017 @ 12:20pm CDT
TimothyR wrote:
Qwan wrote:

Kup and Perceptor.

I'll give you the pins vs screws argument. And yes, Gernaerations Kup and RTS Perceptor do have ankle articulation where the TR ones don't; but is that really a detriment? If you remember correctly, ankle tilts and wrist swivels are the exception, not the rule. Go back to the modern toylines and compare the figures with and without those features.

No. Just no. There were only 4 WFC figures made, and they were all floppy messes except for Megatron. And don't try to include the God aweful FOC figures, because all of them are crap. I hate the Combaticons from that line more that I hate CW Brakedown.

Oh, and not painting the headmaster robot is pretty lame.

On one hand, yes, they lack paint. But on the other, are you really displaying that many Titan Masters? I know Cobotron probably does.

how would improve litterally the smallest transformers HasTak has ever produced? Elbows?
Re: Comparisons Between Titans Return and G1 Toys of Kup and Perceptor (1874011)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on April 12th, 2017 @ 12:23pm CDT
TF-fan kev777 wrote:Who-Hoo!!! Just found Black Shadow at US retail in a target on my lunch break. Can't wait to get home and check him out.

Black Shadow.jpg

Thanks for letting us know! We did news the first sighting here but you can add your find to our sightings section!

Buy "Transformers Studio Series 13 Voyager Class Movie 2 Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Acid Storm" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Superion Collection Pack" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Siege on Cybertron 5-Figure Pack" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #270 - An Ox, a Seagull and a Monster
"An Ox, a Seagull and a Monster"
Posted: Sunday, February 14th, 2021

Buy "Transformers Highbrow XORT Headmaster  Walmart exclusive wave 2 heroic autobot!" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers monxo Headmaster Weirdwolf Wave 2 evil decepticon sealed new!!!" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers G1 Headmasters Chromedome & Stylor" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Selects God Neptune Combiner Wars Coelagon Gulf Skalor" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers G1 Headmasters Hardhead & Duros" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Go! G15 Hunter Bulkhead Takara Tomy Japan" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Selects TT-GS02 KRAKEN (Seawing) / Seacons / In Hand" on EBAY