How to fix your Transformers Prime Wars Trilogy Punch / Counterpunch

Transformers News: How to fix your Transformers Prime Wars Trilogy Punch / Counterpunch

Monday, September 17th, 2018 5:41AM CDT

Categories: Toy News, Site Articles, Transtopia
Posted by: Counterpunch   Views: 22,250

The Amazon exclusive PotP Punch/Counterpunch is incorrectly assembled resulting in a vehicle mode that does not line up properly. User IronMagnus on fellow fansite TFW2005 has pointed out an easy fix to the issue, but we've added images so you can also follow these easy steps to correct the problem:

First off, remove the arms at the ball joint.
Transformers News: How to fix your PotP Punch/Counterpunch

The problem part is here. It is installed upside down. The flat edge should be facing up and the rounded edge should be facing down.
Transformers News: How to fix your PotP Punch/Counterpunch

You're going to remove those parts and flip them. To start, unsnap the chest at the indicated point:
Transformers News: How to fix your PotP Punch/Counterpunch

From here it's a bit tough. You're going to use force to pry the part out off of the peg. I've done three of these now and I can tell you that you will not stress any parts if you're careful and go one at a time. Once removed, make sure you reinstall them with this orientation:
Transformers News: How to fix your PotP Punch/Counterpunch

Once finished, everything lines up much better and the arms tab in properly in alt mode.
Transformers News: How to fix your PotP Punch/Counterpunch

Also, as IronMagnus said, flipping the Decepticon panel when going into alt mode makes the panels line up much easier.

Video update:

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: How to fix your Transformers Prime Wars Trilogy Punch / Counterpunch (1984367)
Posted by frogbat on September 17th, 2018 @ 6:37am CDT
thnx for this! quite an unfortunate QC issue :(
Re: How to fix your Transformers Prime Wars Trilogy Punch / Counterpunch (1984376)
Posted by Un_Chakal on September 17th, 2018 @ 8:05am CDT
I did that I shaved down the pegs that are on his shoulders that his wheel cowling clips onto in punch mode so they don't stress the plastic around it and I popped out the mushroom pegs and shaved down the flat part. That's what keeps them from turning.
Re: How to fix your Transformers Prime Wars Trilogy Punch / Counterpunch (1984378)
Posted by Counterpunch on September 17th, 2018 @ 8:40am CDT
Exastiken wrote:The stock photo on Amazon has the round side up, pretty sure the fix is superficial.

All I can say is, transform him before the fix and feel how the arms fit in and seem to be just slightly off.

Then do the fix and feel how they snap into place.

It's a minor thing, but it does make it better.
Re: How to fix your Transformers Prime Wars Trilogy Punch / Counterpunch (1984389)
Posted by Randomhero on September 17th, 2018 @ 10:15am CDT
Just got mine and changed him a few times. Seems fine. I don’t have issues
Re: How to fix your Transformers Prime Wars Trilogy Punch / Counterpunch (1984402)
Posted by TheForgottenTaxi on September 17th, 2018 @ 11:38am CDT
Re: How to fix your Transformers Prime Wars Trilogy Punch / Counterpunch (1984405)
Posted by Wolfman Jake on September 17th, 2018 @ 12:40pm CDT
Re: How to fix your Transformers Prime Wars Trilogy Punch / Counterpunch (1984406)
Posted by IronMagnus on September 17th, 2018 @ 12:53pm CDT
Wolfman Jake wrote:Is this still a bonafide assembly error at this point? There's lots of conflicting information about it's necessity, and this thread has now been moved to the "customization" forum. Is this really more of a preference than a needed fix?

Hey Guys,

IronMagnus here. I posted about this on the tfw2005 forum origionally.

Nothing short of an official tweet from Hasbro acknowledging the issue will convince some people I think.

If your figure transforms great without doing anything, then congrats! Many have had trouble and this change has fixed it for every single one.

As far as it being a "bonafide assembly error", I believe that it is.

The very fact that every in-hand photo and stock photos all show it one way, with the round side up, just points to the fact that it's a mistake in the assembly procedure from the beginning, not a case of one worker getting things wrong sometimes.

What I WOULD point people at are the RENDERS on the package and in the instructions.

These renders would be from the original CAD files and how the actual designer of the toy created it, not how someone in a factory told their workers how to put it together.

On these renders, you can see that the flat edge of the piece in question is on the top.

Edit: Here is a close up picture of the instructions from fellow tfw2005 forum poster Jtprime17:

Here you can see that the flat edge is on the top.

I hope this helps anyone who is having trouble with their figure.
Re: How to fix your Transformers Prime Wars Trilogy Punch / Counterpunch (1984407)
Posted by IronMagnus on September 17th, 2018 @ 12:57pm CDT
fenrir72 wrote:Thanks! ;)^ :APPLAUSE:

1. Please sticky this.
2. Do I cancel my still pending Amazon order and wait for the "corrected" Takara version?

Takara and Hasbro put out the same figures now. I doubt that the Takara one will be any different.

The fix is so quick and easy that there is no point in cancelling your order. Let it go through and take 30 seconds to fix it on your own :)

I would like to add that removing the arms from the ball joints isn't necessary, but I think it gives you more room to work with. I did it originally as I was investigating the issue and didn't know what all would be required, were they asymmetrical? Would the connectors need to swap sides or something? (they don't)

If you're worried about damaging the figure on that step (you shouldn't be), then you can try leaving the arms on and removing the entire assembly from the body before twisting around the connector piece and placing it back in.
Re: How to fix your Transformers Prime Wars Trilogy Punch / Counterpunch (1984408)
Posted by IronMagnus on September 17th, 2018 @ 1:01pm CDT
Exastiken wrote:Hello, PCP owner here. I have the same exact assembly as the top post, but it's not an issue, I'm pretty sure the fix is overhyped. The part that he seems to think causes an issue is that there's two conflicting bits that seem to be spaced too closely, but in fact there's a little more clearance in shoulder you can compress into. I just transformed my figure into car mode just fine. Image

Hi there. Thanks for your honest criticism of the issue. I welcome it as it's the best way to find out when something is truly wrong or not.

"The part that he seems to think causes an issue is that there's two conflicting bits that seem to be spaced too closely"

This fix has nothing to do with those parts. It affects how closely the arm sits to the robot body.

You CAN manage to get it into car mode without the fix, but in doing so the door panels are pressing the arms into place when they shouldn't be under that kind of stress. All they should have to do is tab into those connector bits to stay in place.
Re: How to fix your Transformers Prime Wars Trilogy Punch / Counterpunch (1984428)
Posted by Randomhero on September 17th, 2018 @ 2:18pm CDT
TheForgottenTaxi wrote:Okay but... why is this acceptable? If I got any other product from Amazon that required me to take it apart and reassemble it for it to work correctly, I would get a refund or replacement.

It’s not required. you don’t have to do it and go ahead and demand a replacement for a figure that’s out of stock and is being reported as all of them are like this.

Again you don’t have to. I’m not going to do mine because I don’t feel it’s necessary. I’ve changed mine several times since I got it and it’s also got full range.
Re: How to fix your Transformers Prime Wars Trilogy Punch / Counterpunch (1984438)
Posted by Nemesis Destron on September 17th, 2018 @ 2:56pm CDT
Exastiken wrote:It's not an assembly issue. .

Awww sh*t fire!!! :BANG_HEAD: Assembly issue or not there's no excuse...you hear this :HASBRO: ???

But I guess we're past due on having some crap like this happen since the huge problems Trypticon had.

:HASBRO: there's too much damn money involved for us to have to deal with this...'nuff said! :VEHI:
Re: How to fix your Transformers Prime Wars Trilogy Punch / Counterpunch (1984448)
Posted by Randomhero on September 17th, 2018 @ 3:30pm CDT
Nemesis Destron wrote:
Exastiken wrote:It's not an assembly issue. .

Put your torches and pitchforks away and calm down. It’s not like the toy is broken out of the box. You can either do a fix or you not. That’s it.

What’s with you people acting like it’s the end of times. Jeez, kids screaming in toy aisles calm down faster than grown adults.
Re: How to fix your Transformers Prime Wars Trilogy Punch / Counterpunch (1984471)
Posted by Crosscheck on September 17th, 2018 @ 5:01pm CDT

In short, for me, the fix was necessary for the figure. Like Counterpunch's demonstration said, it is easy enough to do and I only just barely felt like I was stressing any of the parts.
Re: How to fix your Transformers Prime Wars Trilogy Punch / Counterpunch (1984480)
Posted by Counterpunch on September 17th, 2018 @ 6:05pm CDT
Crosscheck wrote:I got my P/CP today. Without the fix, his arms would not peg properly to the sides of the torso properly. They would pop out of place. So I did the fix. The arms now pop into place properly. No reduction in mobility for any of the joints.

Excellent. Happy to hear it.
Re: How to fix your Transformers Prime Wars Trilogy Punch / Counterpunch (1984491)
Posted by TheForgottenTaxi on September 17th, 2018 @ 7:21pm CDT
Randomhero wrote:

I'm well aware that demanding a replacement is not feasible. I'm saying that this should be viewed as unacceptable by the community and by Hasbro, and it's galling that there's nothing we can do to really hold Hasbro accountable unless we want to give up on the figure entirely.

(Assuming it's as bad as reported; mine has for some reason not shipped yet, so I can't comment on that.)
Re: How to fix your Transformers Prime Wars Trilogy Punch / Counterpunch (1984498)
Posted by Wolfman Jake on September 17th, 2018 @ 7:57pm CDT
My figures were delivered this afternoon. When I get home tonight, I'll give them a thourough going over myself and give you my thoughts. I remember not too long ago that people were convinced that Studio Series Jazz was messed up and nothing lined up correctly in vehicle mode until people started to figure out that they were missing a step in the transformation. That one little step made all the difference. Granted, it wasn't clearly shown in the instructions, but it proves that sometimes it's just user error and not a manufacturing problem. Like I said, though, I'll post my findings later when I've had time to open and inspect my own copies.
Re: How to fix your Transformers Prime Wars Trilogy Punch / Counterpunch (1984505)
Posted by Randomhero on September 17th, 2018 @ 8:56pm CDT
I’ve been playing with mine all day and I don’t have this problem. I haven’t taken him apart at all and I can transform him just fine. Sadly the people throwing the fits are people who don’t even have one yet.

Honestly before you start demanding crap, wait till you get it. Transform him, if everything lines and is secure like mine don’t do anything. If you feel you need to take it apart, be careful and do it. That’s all it takes.

Like I’ve said. It’s not broken, just has a slight problem. Maybe. Mine has the “assembly issue” if that’s what we’re calling it or “QC” issue but I can’t use him just fine.

There are no screws and I’m not willing to just a small screwdriver and start prying mine and chance damaging mine. I bought one because that’s all I needed and I wanted other people to be able to get him.

But for gods sake, before you start demanding anything and throwing a fit and pointing fingers. Just. Wait.
Re: How to fix your Transformers Prime Wars Trilogy Punch / Counterpunch (1984511)
Posted by LordBludgeon on September 17th, 2018 @ 9:32pm CDT
I pre-ordered mine back on July 15th, still hasn't shown as shipped and I haven't been charged. What's determining who gets their order firsts? Are AmazonPrime users and those that paid for faster shipping getting priority? I think that's a bit unfair to those who didn't want to pay the extra and ordered him way in advance like myself if that is the case. I'm going to be angry with Amazon if I don't get mine soon..... or if I have to wait for the next batch. Grr! :BOOM:
Re: How to fix your Transformers Prime Wars Trilogy Punch / Counterpunch (1984512)
Posted by Flashwave on September 17th, 2018 @ 9:43pm CDT

QC check aside, this is a fantastically engineered Toy. Although different, the leg transformation reminds me of the Prime Deluxe Vehicons that hid so much of the car in their thighs. Popped the Thumbs off the Prime Master Armor. I love it as a jetpack and it looks better without them TBH, although I d miss the weapon storage. Looking for a gun for CP now. Might use one of the Null Rays from the Legends class Acid Storm mold that came with Venin, if I can find one.

Toy of the year? I dunno yet, we’ll see what makes it out for Siege, but for my money he’s at least in the Running.

EDIT: I just gave Counterpunch the rifle from TR in Convoy, its the same mold as TR Astrotrain. Blue is wrong, but the shape looks sooo right.
Re: How to fix your Transformers Prime Wars Trilogy Punch / Counterpunch (1984527)
Posted by IronMagnus on September 17th, 2018 @ 10:59pm CDT
Flashwave wrote:Got my Punch/Counterpunch. Definitely needed the shoulder fix, which went pleasantly quickly and with no issues.

Forgive me if you already knew this, but you can store the weapon he comes with on the bottom of the front of the car. You don't need the holes on the fist/jetpack to store the weapon.

Buy "Transformers Authentics Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers MPM-03 Movie 10th Anniversary Figure Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 10 Deluxe Class Movie 1 Autobot Jazz" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 11 Deluxe Class Movie 4 Lockdown" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Costanza Action Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #209 - Under Siege
"Under Siege"
Posted: Sunday, October 7th, 2018

Buy "Transformers BotCon 2015 Waruder Paralyzer Buzzer MIB MISB new sealed white tfcc" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers BotCon 2015 Waruder Storm Rider Crusher MIB MISB new red blue tfcc" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Beast Wars 1996 Basic Class Optimus Primal Bat body for parts" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS G.I Joe Marker rendering by Pat Lee! ZARTAN & BARONESS!" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Movie Stealth Bumblebee & Bone Crusher  Allspark Deluxe Class 2007" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS vs. GI JOE Blue COBRA COMMANDER Kidrobot 7" Vinyl Art Figure MIB" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of the Primes Deluxe Novastar Firestar combiner" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations JUNKHEAP Junkion Wreck-Gar mold NEW SEALED Junkions" on EBAY