New Images of MP-23 Exhaust - Takara Tweaks Deco Due to Legal Issues

Transformers News: New Images of MP-23 Exhaust - Takara Tweaks Deco Due to Legal Issues

Thursday, January 15th, 2015 10:48pm CST

Category: Toy News
Posted by: LOST Cybertronian   Views: 16,728

Thanks to Taghobby.com, we have some new images of MP-23 Exhaust. These new images show a slightly tweaked deco due to legal issues raised by Philip Morris which prevented the figure from being marketed or sold in the U.S. The initial deco used marks that are trademarked by Philip Morris for their Marlboro cigarettes brand. The green bits on the hood are now full rectangles while the red pattern on the hood has also been altered. What do you think of these changes? Will you still purchase Exhaust? Sound off in the Energon Pub.

To see the changes made check out the original deco Exhaust.

Credit(s): Taghobby.com

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: New Images of MP-23 Exhaust - Takara Tweaks Deco Due to Legal Issues (1639675)
Posted by Bounti76 on January 15th, 2015 @ 10:52pm CST
You know... I'm okay with this. The deco isn't bad or horribly different. Just different enough. And it should be fairly easy to modify him if you want a toy-accurate deco.
Re: New Images of MP-23 Exhaust - Takara Tweaks Deco Due to Legal Issues (1639677)
Posted by sol magnus on January 15th, 2015 @ 10:55pm CST
Re: New Images of MP-23 Exhaust - Takara Tweaks Deco Due to Legal Issues (1639681)
Posted by Seibertron on January 15th, 2015 @ 11:29pm CST
sol magnus wrote:I'll definitely still get him. I don't need it to exactly be a cigarette carton. I don't smoke, anyway. ;)

That. Is. Awesome! Problem solved. Thanks Takara!

Though really odd that they even thought that it would be a good idea to do an exact replica of the original Marlboro design.
Re: New Images of MP-23 Exhaust - Takara Tweaks Deco Due to Legal Issues (1639686)
Posted by Yotsuyasan on January 15th, 2015 @ 11:44pm CST
Huh, I did not think Takara would bother with this, since their primary concern is their domestic (Japanese) market, which was not effected by any legal issues. While this isn't a figure I myself was after, for the benefit of my fellow collectors who are interested in it, I am happy to have been incorrect in my assumptions!

Enjoy it, folks!
Re: New Images of MP-23 Exhaust - Takara Tweaks Deco Due to Legal Issues (1639687)
Posted by Emerje on January 15th, 2015 @ 11:46pm CST
Seibertron wrote:

That. Is. Awesome! Problem solved. Thanks Takara!

I'm thinking maybe Lancia approved the design and Takara thought that was enough as long as they didn't use the Marlboro logos. Legal department dropped the ball on this for sure.

Emerje
Re: New Images of MP-23 Exhaust - Takara Tweaks Deco Due to Legal Issues (1639688)
Posted by durroth on January 15th, 2015 @ 11:57pm CST
now we just need to find the right shade of red paint to fix it up. anyone have ideas on how to precision remove a portion of the green?
Re: New Images of MP-23 Exhaust - Takara Tweaks Deco Due to Legal Issues (1639690)
Posted by fenrir72 on January 16th, 2015 @ 12:08am CST
masterpiece-mp-23-exhaust-unveiled-t101591s200.php#p1627981

Just like Kyosho got around the "patterns" of Malboro.
Re: New Images of MP-23 Exhaust - Takara Tweaks Deco Due to Legal Issues (1639692)
Posted by ultramagnusbr on January 16th, 2015 @ 12:31am CST
Didn't like it. Lost a bit of interest.
Re: New Images of MP-23 Exhaust - Takara Tweaks Deco Due to Legal Issues (1639697)
Posted by patrick.timothy on January 16th, 2015 @ 1:05am CST
I don't mind. I don't plan buying him anyway.
Re: New Images of MP-23 Exhaust - Takara Tweaks Deco Due to Legal Issues (1639699)
Posted by fenrir72 on January 16th, 2015 @ 1:18am CST
patrick.timothy wrote:I don't mind. I don't plan buying him anyway.

Was this statement necessary? :???:
Re: New Images of MP-23 Exhaust - Takara Tweaks Deco Due to Legal Issues (1639700)
Posted by fenrir72 on January 16th, 2015 @ 1:19am CST
ultramagnusbr wrote:Didn't like it. Lost a bit of interest.

Don't be too harsh with the judgment. A lot of naysayers were razzing MP-BB (most probably didn't own one yet) but once in your hands, you'll be appreciating it.
Re: New Images of MP-23 Exhaust - Takara Tweaks Deco Due to Legal Issues (1639703)
Posted by RhA on January 16th, 2015 @ 1:31am CST
I just happy Exhaust gets released.
Re: New Images of MP-23 Exhaust - Takara Tweaks Deco Due to Legal Issues (1639706)
Posted by durroth on January 16th, 2015 @ 1:36am CST
honestly the way I see it is they just made it alot easier for those of us who really want it accurate to get a proper V shape on the hood with some spraypaint and tape. I would have liked it if they would have at least made it a bit less abrupt than completely omitting paint from those two pieces (make it at least angle in steeply instead of sudden 90 degree dip) and I can understand people who preordered before wanting the deco they ordered it for, but it's not the end of the world for me... actually, people who have wheeljack, where do those two middle pieces GO in bot mode? I can't see them on the legs at all, are they folded inside?
Re: New Images of MP-23 Exhaust - Takara Tweaks Deco Due to Legal Issues (1639710)
Posted by alldarker on January 16th, 2015 @ 2:01am CST
durroth wrote:(...) actually, people who have wheeljack, where do those two middle pieces GO in bot mode? I can't see them on the legs at all, are they folded inside?

Those middle pieces are the edges of panels which in robot mode turn around 370 degrees to become the soles of MP-20 / MP-23's feet.
And yeah, I totally agree, this new deco makes it easier to create the perfect V-shape if you'd want to do it youself. Painting red over white is easier than painting white over red!
The previous deco wasn't acurate either (although perhaps a litle easier on the eyes), and being 'almost' there just looked jarring to me. I'd say the green rectangles are just perfect, as far as I'm concerned. I just wish they'd kept the sides of the rear spoiler red, instead of keeping those white. Although on the actual 598 Marlboro Lancia Stratos, white sides on the spoiler seems to be more acurate than the red was.
Re: New Images of MP-23 Exhaust - Takara Tweaks Deco Due to Legal Issues (1639717)
Posted by fenrir72 on January 16th, 2015 @ 2:34am CST
So if Rieje/Mirage gets released, Tomy/Takara will now know what NOT to do then unless Gitanes is okay with their Logo posted on an MP figure/vehicle.
Re: New Images of MP-23 Exhaust - Takara Tweaks Deco Due to Legal Issues (1639722)
Posted by Wolfguard on January 16th, 2015 @ 3:05am CST

Well, well, well, looks like the thing I said could be done - what people told me wouldn't be done - just got done. Imagine that...

>:oP
Re: New Images of MP-23 Exhaust - Takara Tweaks Deco Due to Legal Issues (1639730)
Posted by ultramagnusbr on January 16th, 2015 @ 4:16am CST
fenrir72 wrote:
ultramagnusbr wrote:Didn't like it. Lost a bit of interest.

Sorry. I was the heat of the moment... I'm still getting one. And it's good for more people too.
I was just saying that because I preordered it a while ago on a premise that doesn't exist anymore.
Re: New Images of MP-23 Exhaust - Takara Tweaks Deco Due to Legal Issues (1639733)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on January 16th, 2015 @ 4:24am CST

Anyway, I would get Wheeljack over him anytimes.
Re: New Images of MP-23 Exhaust - Takara Tweaks Deco Due to Legal Issues (1639736)
Posted by LOST Cybertronian on January 16th, 2015 @ 4:36am CST
With a new look, MP-23 Exhaust also has a delay. Thanks to site sponsor TFSource, MP-23 Exhaust has been delayed until March. Originally the figure was supposed to release at the end of February. Although release delays are nothing new to Masterpiece figures, it might be advantageous and make it easier to ship with MP-24 Star Saber to save on shipping costs. You can view the TFSource MP-23 Exhaust listing here and here with coin.

Re: New Images of MP-23 Exhaust - Takara Tweaks Deco Due to Legal Issues (1639737)
Posted by RhA on January 16th, 2015 @ 4:44am CST
-Kanrabat- wrote:All that fuss over a tiny triangle shaped blank space over the green rectangle. Oh, corpyrights, you so cray cray.

Anyway, I would get Wheeljack over him anytimes.

Thankfully, we can get both. :michaelbay:

Buy "Transformers MPM04 Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Arcee Action Figure Set" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 01 Deluxe Class Movie 1 Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Sky Shadow and  Ominus" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Leader Skywarp Action Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #240 - Ramping Up
"Ramping Up"
Posted: Sunday, February 9th, 2020

Buy "Transformers RID Robots in Disguise Fracture Warrior Figure Complete" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Robots in Disguise Optimus Prime vs Megatron" on EBAY
Buy "Takara Transformers United UN24 Warpath Generations Deluxe class" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Classics Deluxe 2006 RID Grimlock Complete" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Siege War For Cybertron SMOKESCREEN Complete WFC Generations Select" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers  Robots in Disguise Megatron Voyager Classics  2006 Hasbro w/Manual" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers 630509396436 Combiner Wars Victorion Robot Soft Vinyl Doll" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Generations Universe Classic Deluxe Class: Starscream" on EBAY