Top 5 Best Megatron Transformers Toys

Saturday, August 6th, 2016 6:57AM CDT

Categories: Site Articles, Editorials, Top Lists
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 73,368

Every two weeks, Seibertron.com brings you a Top 5 list related to all things Transformers written by me, your fellow editor. These are my opinions (just like movie or game reviews hosted by sites are still just the opinion of one person) so what matters most is what you guys think of the topic or list, and I hope to see your own lists or comments on omissions and ranking. Let's have fun! All previous lists can be found here.

Top 5 Megatron toys

Unlike Optimus, Megatron has not had a consistent alt mode or look. While that has lead to various interpretations, which were usually standouts of any particular line, they were all beautifully flawed at the same time. Many, including today's picks, miss the mark by just a little to be the sublime toy they all have the potential to be. It was hard for the Seibertron team to come up with a list and in a way, we ended up with the bottom five of a top ten list and realized there never was a perfect Megatron toy. So, while each toy will have a blurb from me or another member of Seibertron, it shall also have a one line statement detailing the flaw that makes it just miss the mark. Any toy labeled as Megatron was eligible for this list. Also, while we had to rank them, these can pretty much occupy any spot on the list.

5. Transformers G1 1984 Megatron

This is easily one of the most complex G1 toys out there and the alt mode is just perfect. So perfect that it is not allowed for Hasbro to reissue in fear that the authorities might mistaken it for a real gun and act accordingly. I ordered mine from Japan and it was held up in customs longer than any other item I ever imported and it is the only item I know for a fact was opened thanks to the government's reseal sticker proudly displayed on the packaging. The greatness in the alt mode doesn't end with its looks but it is modular too. You can add a scope, a silencer and a stock to recreate the look of the Walther pistol used in the 60's show, The Man From U.N.C.L.E. The Japanese version could also fire pellets. The fun doesn't end there. After one of the most satisfying transformations of the G1 era, you can use these extra add on pieces to build a battle station for your robot. And even though these are just the accessories, the Japanese version still found a way to make that station fire pellets. There is just a bunch of playability here (you can even accommodate smaller figures to sit in the battle station and man it) and the solid G1 die cast just feels great when handling the toy. With no exaggeration, this G1 toy is even better than the Masterpiece version since it accomplishes a perfect alt mode while still providing a solid and intuitive stress free transformation and a robot that is not flimsy in the least and can stand on his own two feet. - William-James88

The Flaw: The robot mode is problematic, with it's lack of decent proportions and articulation. It also does not look too much like the show model and has some parts placed in inappropriate places.

Transformers News: Top 5 Best Megatron Transformers Toys

4. Transformers Robots In Disguise Megatron (Gigatron)

The RID figure has made its mark on the fandom so indelibly that it came back in the IDW comics as a 'new' character, is still being messed around with in terms of the multiple modes and what it can and cannot do, and is pretty much its own thing. Always. - Va'al

In my opinion one of the best transforming toys of all time. Yes, not all his modes are very good, but the double-headed dragon mode and the goddamn claw mode are all you really ever need. And the robot mode is BEAUTIFUL, not to mention poseable. - Delta Magnus

The Flaw: none of the modes seem to be his definitive alt mode and some of the alt modes are just ridiculous and differ very little from one to the other (Griffin and One Headed Dragon for instance).

3. Transformers Animated Leader Megatron

Oh Baby now this really encompasses the beauty of the entire Transformers Animated line. This figure replicates the animated style of a sleek yet powerful looking robot with minimal kibble in both distinct modes while still providing a simple and intuitive transformation. It is also a love letter to Megatrons of the past (G1 and Super Megatron for instance) while also being his own new take on the character. Finally, I love how Hasbro took advantage of having Megatron be one of the only two leader class molds of the line to truly convey his presence and imposing stature in the show. - William-James88

The Flaw: Partforming replaces what could have been a more complex transformation and his ratcheted thighs make it impossible to give him the perfect standing pose.

2. Transformers Beast Wars Transmetal 2 Megatron (Dragon Megatron) Gallery

All Beast Wars Megatron toys are awesome in their own way (until one of them breaks of course) and it seemed like the designers kept upping their stakes with every iteration. First he was a gorgeous purple Tyrannosaurus and gave the robot a tyrannosaurus head and tail for hands. Then they made that Tyrannosaurus metallic, Mecha Godzilla style and freed up his hands. And finally, when the character turned into a prophetic agent of Satan, they switched the Tyrannosaurus for a glorious Red Dragon of ancient myth and realized their folly of freeing up both his hands and instead made one of his hands the head of a fire breathing dragon! This toy has it all: you can puppeteer the head of the dragon and it's segmented scale neck, he can shoot fire missiles from his mouth, you can flap his gorgeous asymmetrical wings and lock them when spread out, the Transformation is unique and as complex as any beat former since, plus the robot has a spark chamber which has a pilot seat for his spark and, lastly, you can give the dragon roller skates. - William-James88

The Flaw: There is some awkwardness to his robot mode, like that giant tail attached to the back of his head. He also has a few breakage points though nothing as bad as the Hasbro Transmetal Megatron.

1. Transformers Henkei and Classics Megatron

Classics is the closest that most collectors had to get an updated version of a gun Megatron, both in funky funky colours and toned down deco, with added NERF resemblance (never a bad thing). - Va'al

Technically, there is no better modernized version of a gun Megatron out there. The proportions are great here and he scales perfectly with his deluxe underlings. Plus, he has an impressive transformation making him the perfect example of how to do a shellformer correctly. I understand that the deco can be problematic, even if it could be interpreted as an homage to the Megatron Action Master figure. However, Takara comes to the rescue here by giving you not one but two awsome deco choices. You can either have him in his standard G1 deco or go full updated neo G1 style with black and orange highlights.- William-James88

The Flaw: that right fist, which has no articulation, ends up looking very awkward when his cannon is pointed.

Transformers News: Top 5 Best Megatron Transformers Toys

Honorable mentions: Beast Wars Megatron, Generations Leader, Generations War of Cybertron, DOTM Voyager, Armada, Energon and RTS Legion.
Re: Top 5 Best Megatron Transformers Toys (1812686)
Posted by Omega-Doom on August 6th, 2016 @ 7:02am CDT
WFC Megatron should be on the list :HEADHURTS:
Re: Top 5 Best Megatron Transformers Toys (1812688)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on August 6th, 2016 @ 7:04am CDT
Having thought about this a bit, I must say that the Dark of the Moon voyager was a great figure and is probably the best movie Megatron we got.

But, I feel there is one missing from list or mentions: Thrilling 30 deluxe.

I'm glad Gigatron is on there. That is a good mold, especially for the dragon alternate mode
Re: Top 5 Best Megatron Transformers Toys (1812690)
Posted by Drift082111 on August 6th, 2016 @ 7:07am CDT
Solid list. I was going to mention a few I preferred and then I saw your honorable mentions so that works for me! 8-)
Re: Top 5 Best Megatron Transformers Toys (1812691)
Posted by Kurona on August 6th, 2016 @ 7:07am CDT
[strike]And then they all got usurped by TR Megatron which is going to be the best one[/strike]

Pretty great article. Shame there's not much on RiD except "he's good", but hey, he's good. Could've gone with a mention on how he similarly made a great BW Megatron
Re: Top 5 Best Megatron Transformers Toys (1812695)
Posted by Va'al on August 6th, 2016 @ 7:25am CDT
For once, I am in an entirely different boat for most of these. I appreciate the list, I like the reasoning behind the choices, but I find myself choosing very different figures.

Such as WfC Megatron with his glorious spiky silhouette.

Transformers War For Cybertron Cybertronian Megatron Gallery

Beast Wars Megatron, even with the enormous kibble.

Transformers United Beast Megatron Gallery

Generations Megatron, despite his too-small-size.

Transformers Generations Megatron Gallery

Prime First Edition deluxe - small but deadly Megatron.

Transformers Prime: First Edition Megatron Gallery

The fifth spot, in no particular order, is probably Animated. Yes.
Re: Top 5 Best Megatron Transformers Toys (1812697)
Posted by DR0hNO on August 6th, 2016 @ 7:27am CDT
Re: Top 5 Best Megatron Transformers Toys (1812699)
Posted by Va'al on August 6th, 2016 @ 7:34am CDT
DR0hNO wrote:Iam surprised that Combiner wars Megatron wasnt on the list,sure hes not perfect but hes a very good Represnation of Classic Megatron but still you guys know more about formers than me.

You are more than welcome to add your opinion, no one on here claims to know more than others (well, some do, but we laugh at them usually :-P ).

Why do you think Combiner Wars Megatron deserves a spot on the list? What makes him stand out more to you? Why choose that one over, for example, Classics or G2 Megatron? Let us know!
Re: Top 5 Best Megatron Transformers Toys (1812701)
Posted by Black Hat on August 6th, 2016 @ 7:41am CDT
Nice list! Personally I would have put RID Megatron higher, but he was my second ever Transformer so I'm biased.

My personal list (bearing in mind I don't own many of the toys listed here) would be:

5: Armada Megatron. A brick for certain, but dear god he looks so GOOD. Surprisingly good tank mode, and a gorgeous robot mode. The shoulder pylons, the antlers, the proportions, the headsculpt...if he had proper leg articulation he'd be perfect.

4: Henkei Megatron. I'm not a big fan of Megatron as a gun, but Nerfatron is a really nice looking figure. The wings, whilst controversial, really add to his silhouette, and his gun mode is actually pretty cool when not done in day-glo colours.

3: Generations Legends Megatron. He's small, yeah. Sure he has visible hands in tank mode. But he's just such a cool toy. Ingenious transformation, lovely proportions, and good articulation. If only he had thigh swivels...

2: Cybertron Megatron. The definitive Leader class Megatron IMO- awesome proportions, unique weapons (rotary hand cannon and a spined vambrace bludgeon? Yes please!), badass sculpt, great articulation and he turns into a colossal death dragster. Sure the jet mode is crap and the colours are kinda "What?" (Galvatron looks better IMO) but he's just such a babe and I want one.

1: RID Megatron/CR Gigatron. IMO one of the best transforming toys of all time. Yes, not all his modes are very good, but the double-headed dragon mode and the goddamn claw mode are all you really ever need. And the robot mode is BEAUTIFUL (not to mention poseable). HasTak, if you're listening, reissue. Nao. I would pay Platinum Edition prices for a reissue of this dude- my own figure is in a shambolic state, and quite frankly I'd love to see the madcap colours they gave him. Seriously, they could do him in lime green and fuchsia and he'd look regal as ever.
Re: Top 5 Best Megatron Transformers Toys (1812702)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on August 6th, 2016 @ 7:45am CDT
Henkei Megatron? Really? To each his own, I guess...Anyway, this is a very good list, and a tough choice, because Megatron has gotten a lot fewer figures in 30 years than Prime ever did. So here's my list:

5. G2 Tank Megatron - It's not fancy, but it has play value and durability. The definition of a "brick."

4. Animated Leader Megatron - 1 of the better recent Megatron incarnations, it was big, imposing and the right colors. His face reminds me of Scar from The Lion King.

3. Prime NYCC deluxe Megatron - I love this figure. It's 1 of my personal favorites, even if it's a little simple and light.

2. Tie: WfC Megatron/Generations Megatron - with Generations Megatron, I actually bought a custom on eBay with G1 colors. The black and silver look badass on this mold, Hasbro should have used it.

1. Revenge of The Fallen Leader Class Megatron - Best. Movie Toy. Ever. After. RoTF. Leader. Prime. But as far as Megatrons go, this is it for me. Big, imposing, (mostly) screen accurate, and a lot of fun to transform. Its only flaws are that the cannon isn't removable to give him both his gimpy arms, and he doesn't have his wings to make him the triple-changer he was in the movie.

Honorable mentions:

Beast Wars Megatron - love both modes, hate the transformation

Armada (2002) Megatron - totally screen-, comic-, and game-accurate

DoTM Voyager Megatron - this figure is very good, unfortunately the small size doesn't do it justice. If it had gotten a Leader Class release, it would be the #1 toy on my list

Overall, this was a great idea for a list, Willy J! ;)^ :APPLAUSE:
Re: Top 5 Best Megatron Transformers Toys (1812703)
Posted by Z3ROhour on August 6th, 2016 @ 7:49am CDT
no Thrilling 30 deluxe?
no WFC?
Not even CW?

I agree with #1

maybe this should be divided into two lists.
They are not the same being, after all.

For example
Silverbolt, leader of the Aerialbots
Is not
Silverbolt the Fuzor

Christopher (me)
Is not
The "discoverer" of America

Or maybe I am...

:-? :-D
Re: Top 5 Best Megatron Transformers Toys (1812705)
Posted by Windsweeper on August 6th, 2016 @ 8:13am CDT
I love the deluxe G2 Generations Megatron. Great head sculpt.

If it had been bigger and coloured closer to G1 Machine Wars Megatron would be cool too.

I have to mention my first Megatron: the Actionmaster. He conveyed all the menace of the cartoon version.
Re: Top 5 Best Megatron Transformers Toys (1812708)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on August 6th, 2016 @ 8:27am CDT
Well, Megatron have so much variety, it's about impossible to make a consistent list. So, I'll just show my favorites and tell why these are my personal best.

#5) Energon leader

Even though it's more Galvatron than Megatron, his altmode and robot modes are solid and powerful looking. It's also very fun and intuitive to transform.

#4) Prime 1st Edition deluxe

This is the best version of this character. Perfectly show accurate bot and spaceship mode, an incrideble paint job, and a non frustrating transformation. Too bad the voyager failed because an upscaled version of this deluxe would have been perfect.

#3) DOTM voyager

What? A MOVIE figure? Yes, a movie figure. The only flaw of this Megatron are scale issues but if you don't care about scale like me, the toy itself is incredible. Both truck and robot mode are BAD ASS in a post-apocalyptic kind of way. Especially with the clever tarp accessory. The transformation is complex without being frustrating. I'd wish for a leader of this toy. Unfortunately, the oversize KO overdid it and made it absurdly big. Anyone who don't have it can still get it for dirt cheap on Ebay. You have no excuses!

2) The G1 original

Will said it all. The perfect GUN Megatron. Too perfect for some countries, like Australia where you must have a special permit to even own one! (Unless I'm mistaken. Burn?) Sure, the robot mode is really, really goofy but man, it's so adorable! Like an aborted foetus! :lol: Also for a G1, the transformation is insane and creative. Any Megatron fans should have at least one version of him in his collection.

1) Leader Generations Combiner Wars

For me, this IS the ultimate Megatron. I don't even feel the need to own a MP. He's of a decent size and the transformation is simple but fun. But mostly, his robot mode is a perfect blend of G1 cartoon AND toy accuracy! Also, the tank mode is perfection incarnate. For me, a tank is the perfect altmode for Megatron. It's more logical than a handgun and it's the perfect alternative. Sure, the shoulder joints are a bit iffy looking but because of that tiny sacrefice, the tank have a WORKING TURRET. And that's count for a lot. I paid full 60$CAN+tx for this when it came out and to this day, I regret nothing. Could they improve on this? Sure. But for now, Generations Combiner Wars Leader is unbeatable.

Re: Top 5 Best Megatron Transformers Toys (1812709)
Posted by Tyrannacon on August 6th, 2016 @ 8:31am CDT
A list I was eager to see actually! Was curious to see what you guys felt. Very nice! Thanks for taking the time to do it! :CON:

Really my own ultimate Megatron is divided up between Classics/Henkei Megatron at number 2 and the Generations Leader Combiner Wars G1-style Megatron at number one.
Re: Top 5 Best Megatron Transformers Toys (1812711)
Posted by TheForgottenTaxi on August 6th, 2016 @ 8:32am CDT

Yes, the transformation is a tiny bit fidly, and yeah, he's a little spindly in places, and sure, the cannon is too heavy for his arm, and okay, okay, it's weird that his feet get tarnished sometimes, and fine, you're right, the gun mode is too large.

...But other than all of that he's pretty much perfect.
Re: Top 5 Best Megatron Transformers Toys (1812713)
Posted by Targetmaster Kup on August 6th, 2016 @ 8:40am CDT
D-Maximus_Primal wrote:...I feel there is one missing from list or mentions: Thrilling 30 deluxe.

That is a great mold. It is totally unique, a great head, great transformation, and he's got a black and purple paint job. This guy is one of the greater ones...

I agree, unfortunately he is too small, but he is my Megatron. I only keep one of each character, and he is a keeper.
Re: Top 5 Best Megatron Transformers Toys (1812717)
Posted by Tyrannacon on August 6th, 2016 @ 8:45am CDT
TheForgottenTaxi wrote:I know that seemingly no one else likes this figure, but my personal favorite official Megatron is still MP-05.

...But other than all of that he's pretty much perfect.

If I had MP-5 it'd probably rank on my own personal list as well, despite the flaws it has.

Nik Hero wrote:

I do like this version of Megatron as well. Just the size is an issue. Also I love my RotF Leader Class Megatron even though he is a beef cake and not entirely accurate to the film's model. It's a fun figure in my mind though.
Re: Top 5 Best Megatron Transformers Toys (1812721)
Posted by Sjeng on August 6th, 2016 @ 8:52am CDT
Interesting lists! Just browsed a few. Megatron has some very cool iterations indeed. The only ones I have so far is a leader class 2007 movie Megatron I got in a secondhand lot (along with the 2007 movie O/P, which is great!), and as a robot it's nice, it's big and evil looking, but the jet is a horror. Trying to get those legs underneath the wings is a nightmare.
The other is an Armada green/purple tank Megatron, who looks cool, but isn't really "Megatron" for me.

Hoping to get my hands on an Animated Megatron soon (spotted a Dark Megatron in an Animated lot).

I remember back in the 80's if you had an original G1 Megatron, you were bad-ass! Of course, nobody I knew had one.

I also love the IDW stealth bomber megatron, and the MP-05 masterpiece of course. And the silver Combiner Wars leader class Megatron is also pretty bad-ass. Probably my favourite.
Re: Top 5 Best Megatron Transformers Toys (1812723)
Posted by Kurona on August 6th, 2016 @ 9:15am CDT
Tyrannacon wrote:
Nik Hero wrote:

I do like this version of Megatron as well. Just the size is an issue.

Size is consistently a problem for Megatron, at least in my eyes. The Classics G2 Tank Megatron, Generations IDW Megatron, WFC Megatron, BW 20th Anniversary Megatron and TFP Deluxe Megatron are all way too small for me at deluxe, and while the CW and Animated Leaders may be amazing - and frankly, they are - they're way too big for me. At least outside of a Masterpiece scale.
I just want a good Voyager Megatron (the classics/henkei one doesn't quite fit my preferred silhouette). Thankfully TR has one coming that still looks incredible.
Re: Top 5 Best Megatron Transformers Toys (1812725)
Posted by SureShot18 on August 6th, 2016 @ 9:17am CDT
Well I agree with Henkei Megatron being number one. I'm having a dilemma on who should lead my Decepticons, him or the new Titans Return one. And the flaws you listed for Animated Megatron I would say are true. He's one of the biggest offenders of where the Animated style makes posing look odd.

I just realized that I don't own many of the best Megatrons; only those two, the 2007 movie Leader, RotF Leader, PRiD Voyager, Gen leader, Beast Wars Megatron from the10th anniversary 2 pack, and Legends Megatron from the first movie. Out of those Beast Wars, Gen, and RotF would probably make my list
Re: Top 5 Best Megatron Transformers Toys (1812728)
Posted by Carnivius_Prime on August 6th, 2016 @ 9:29am CDT
Nope. None of those. Classics Megatron is good in robot mode (once I removed the wings) but I dislike Megatrons that turn into handguns, especially one clearly based on a NERF toy (pelts Autobots with foam darts?) Never liked G1 Megatron toy again for handgun but also cos dorky robot with a badly placed trigger and the fact in alt-modes having him face Optimus Prime just looked ridiculous. Also just a lot of work to transform between modes. The realistic handgun was a fun novelty back then but just didn't fit in my TF collection very well at all amongst all the vehicles and such. Had that RID Gigatron thing years ago too but it was just a bit flamboyant to even be in my collection, let alone as Megatron.
Got that large Animated Megatron in the big lot the other week but honestly I think it's a hideous thing. While it does resemble how Megatron should look in theory, the goofy cartoon style puts me right off and the altmode is bland as heck. Have put it up for sale.

I've loved the RotF Leader Megatron I got a couple weeks ago. Really like both modes of it. Cool sci fi tank and a very tough looking robot (even witht the gimpy arm which I don't mind too much). The repaints like Shadow and Nightmare look awesome too. Big fan of the DotM Voyager Megs design too but wish I could get a Leader class version.

The G2 Hero Megatron I got from car boot is fun, it takes the design and transformation of the first G2 Megs (which made the sensible choice of having a tank altform) but gave it lots of articulation for the time (even if it lost a lot of size).

Combiner Wars Megatron is just far and away the best G1 Megatron ever. Imposing in both modes with a great head sculpt. Smart design in the robot form with great proportions and turns into a great looking tank.

Oddly I was playing with a couple of my recent Megatrons on my desk the other day.
G2 Megs riding RotF Megs

Which doesn't really work the other way round.
Transformers products from AMAZON

Featured Products

Buy "Transformers Masterpiece MP-21 Bumble Figure" on AMAZON
You save: 41%
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #200 - Requiem of the Twincast
"Requiem of the Twincast"
Posted: Sunday, May 20th, 2018