Hascon 2017 Magic The Gathering Exclusive Cards, Featuring Transformers Grimlock

Hascon 2017 Magic The Gathering Exclusive Cards, Featuring Transformers Grimlock

Saturday, July 29th, 2017 10:17am CDT

Categories: Event News, Collectables
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 19,911

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

As by our previous story here, and alongside the Transformers specific exlcusives Arcee and Ultra Magnus, and Power Bank Optimus Prime (see here for more), we now have images of the Magic The Gathering exclusive set for HASCON, which includes three non-playable cards (in tournaments) featuring Hasbro properties - including, of course, Transformers. Check out the images below, with two looks at Grimlock, plus Nerf and D&D!

Transformers News: Hascon 2017 Magic The Gathering Exclusive Cards, Featuring Transformers Grimlock

Transformers News: Hascon 2017 Magic The Gathering Exclusive Cards, Featuring Transformers Grimlock

Transformers News: Hascon 2017 Magic The Gathering Exclusive Cards, Featuring Transformers Grimlock

Transformers News: Hascon 2017 Magic The Gathering Exclusive Cards, Featuring Transformers Grimlock

Transformers News: Hascon 2017 Magic The Gathering Exclusive Cards, Featuring Transformers Grimlock


News Search

Got Transformers News? Let us know here!

Re: Hascon 2017 Magic The Gathering Exclusive Cards, Featuring Transformers Grimlock (1900601)
Posted by Alpha Dominus on July 29th, 2017 @ 12:56pm CDT
Carnivius_Prime wrote:Gen Arcee still looks great stood next to Blurr and not looking anything like Blurr.
Image

Anyways that's all I have to say on the subject. Peace! :michaelbay:


Agreed. No obviously pink blurr for me. (Although that alt mode does look pretty rad.)
Re: Hascon 2017 Magic The Gathering Exclusive Cards, Featuring Transformers Grimlock (1900622)
Posted by Sodan-1 on July 29th, 2017 @ 2:29pm CDT
Who would have thought when Titans Return began that Blurr would be the most reused mould?
Re: Hascon 2017 Magic The Gathering Exclusive Cards, Featuring Transformers Grimlock (1900627)
Posted by Va'al on July 29th, 2017 @ 3:04pm CDT
As an update to our previous Hascon story about the exclusive Magic The Gathering Hasbro cards, we have some clean art for the Transformers one featuring Grimlock - in both robot and dinosaur mode - courtesy of artist Tyler Jacobson and his Facebook page! Check out the king below, and let us know if you'll be trying to grab this set of special cards in the discussion.

Well, this was recently revealed. I got the incredible opportunity to paint Grimlock for the upcoming Magic exclusive at Hascon. I had way too much fun on this one.
AD Mark Winters.


Image

Image
Re: Hascon 2017 Magic The Gathering Exclusive Cards, Featuring Transformers Grimlock (1900628)
Posted by shajaki on July 29th, 2017 @ 3:06pm CDT
This new Arcee.... at first I was all "neat!" but now that I've had time to let it digest... does anyone else feel it's kind of uninspired, unoriginal, kind of boring, and something that could have easily been a main line figure?

Convention exclusives I feel should really speak to the heart of the fandom, giving us stuff that you would never see otherwise. It might be super negative, but it almost feels like the death of niche TF's.
Re: Hascon 2017 Magic The Gathering Exclusive Cards, Featuring Transformers Grimlock (1900630)
Posted by Deadput on July 29th, 2017 @ 3:17pm CDT
shajaki wrote:This new Arcee.... at first I was all "neat!" but now that I've had time to let it digest... does anyone else feel it's kind of uninspired, unoriginal, kind of boring, and something that could have easily been a main line figure?

Convention exclusives I feel should really speak to the heart of the fandom, giving us stuff that you would never see otherwise. It might be super negative, but it almost feels like the death of niche TF's.

This was most likely meant to be part of one the two cancelled box sets that were to come after the Siege on Cybertron set that's part of why Ultra Magnus here is in die cast (You can tell in the stock images by looking at his titanmaster torso.

This Arcee has more original molded parts here then most Botcon figures or most repaints have in general.
Re: Hascon 2017 Magic The Gathering Exclusive Cards, Featuring Transformers Grimlock (1900633)
Posted by shajaki on July 29th, 2017 @ 3:51pm CDT
Deadput wrote:This Arcee has more original molded parts here then most Botcon figures or most repaints have in general.
Fair enough, but it doesn't address the fact that the character choice is so obvious and uninspired. JMO though.
Re: Hascon 2017 Magic The Gathering Exclusive Cards, Featuring Transformers Grimlock (1900640)
Posted by Sabrblade on July 29th, 2017 @ 4:04pm CDT
shajaki wrote:
Deadput wrote:This Arcee has more original molded parts here then most Botcon figures or most repaints have in general.
Fair enough, but it doesn't address the fact that the character choice is so obvious and uninspired. JMO though.
Considering that the fandom has been clamoring for a Headmaster Arcee for decades now, I'd say this toy speaks very well to the heart of the fandom, as it's finally giving the fandom something it's wanted for so long now.

Whereas BotCon tended to give the fandom a lot of things that, while nice on there own, no one asked for and were usually desirable only after their existence was made known. By contrast, a Headmaster Arcee toy has been desired long before this toy existed.
Re: Hascon 2017 Magic The Gathering Exclusive Cards, Featuring Transformers Grimlock (1900647)
Posted by shajaki on July 29th, 2017 @ 4:19pm CDT
Sabrblade wrote:
shajaki wrote:
Deadput wrote:This Arcee has more original molded parts here then most Botcon figures or most repaints have in general.
Fair enough, but it doesn't address the fact that the character choice is so obvious and uninspired. JMO though.
Considering that the fandom has been clamoring for a Headmaster Arcee for decades now, I'd say this toy speaks very well to the heart of the fandom, as it's finally giving the fandom something it's wanted for so long now.

Whereas BotCon tended to give the fandom a lot of things that, while nice on there own, no one asked for and were usually desirable only after their existence was made known. By contrast, a Headmaster Arcee toy has been desired long before this toy existed.
Fair point. I just hope imagination isn't thrown by the wayside.
Re: Hascon 2017 Magic The Gathering Exclusive Cards, Featuring Transformers Grimlock (1900648)
Posted by Sabrblade on July 29th, 2017 @ 4:21pm CDT
shajaki wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
shajaki wrote:
Deadput wrote:This Arcee has more original molded parts here then most Botcon figures or most repaints have in general.
Fair enough, but it doesn't address the fact that the character choice is so obvious and uninspired. JMO though.
Considering that the fandom has been clamoring for a Headmaster Arcee for decades now, I'd say this toy speaks very well to the heart of the fandom, as it's finally giving the fandom something it's wanted for so long now.

Whereas BotCon tended to give the fandom a lot of things that, while nice on there own, no one asked for and were usually desirable only after their existence was made known. By contrast, a Headmaster Arcee toy has been desired long before this toy existed.
Fair point. I just hope imagination isn't thrown by the wayside.
There had to have been a ton of imagination put into all the retooling to make this figure as different from Blurr as it is.
Re: Hascon 2017 Magic The Gathering Exclusive Cards, Featuring Transformers Grimlock (1900652)
Posted by Kurona on July 29th, 2017 @ 4:45pm CDT
And, once again, it's important to note -- this is not an exclusive. It will be available in stores or online retailers or something at some point, we're just getting it as Hascon first.
Re: Hascon 2017 Magic The Gathering Exclusive Cards, Featuring Transformers Grimlock (1900669)
Posted by shajaki on July 29th, 2017 @ 6:07pm CDT
Sabrblade wrote:There had to have been a ton of imagination put into all the retooling to make this figure as different from Blurr as it is.
You're not getting me. Simply releasing an Arcee is not imaginative. She's an established, non-niche character. It appeals to the masses, not the niche in the fandom. Retooling is now the norm as well, and there's been more extreme examples of retooling than this.

Kurona wrote:And, once again, it's important to note -- this is not an exclusive. It will be available in stores or online retailers or something at some point, we're just getting it as Hascon first.
Really? Forgive my ignorance, I haven't been keeping up with the Hascon details. Will she be coming to regular in store retail?
Re: Hascon 2017 Magic The Gathering Exclusive Cards, Featuring Transformers Grimlock (1900673)
Posted by Kurona on July 29th, 2017 @ 6:16pm CDT
shajaki wrote:
Kurona wrote:And, once again, it's important to note -- this is not an exclusive. It will be available in stores or online retailers or something at some point, we're just getting it as Hascon first.
Really? Forgive my ignorance, I haven't been keeping up with the Hascon details. Will she be coming to regular in store retail?

We don't really know how she'll be coming to mass retail, only that she will. It's possible she'll be an exclusive to BBTS or Walgreens or what have you; maybe she'll be released everywhere. All we know is that she's getting sold at Hascon, and then later down the line she'll be sold... somewhere. This is basically like if CW Liokaiser or TR Chaos on Velocitron was sold at a Botcon a few months before coming to where they were normally sold.
Re: Hascon 2017 Magic The Gathering Exclusive Cards, Featuring Transformers Grimlock (1900677)
Posted by shajaki on July 29th, 2017 @ 6:40pm CDT
Kurona wrote:We don't really know how she'll be coming to mass retail, only that she will. It's possible she'll be an exclusive to BBTS or Walgreens or what have you; maybe she'll be released everywhere. All we know is that she's getting sold at Hascon, and then later down the line she'll be sold... somewhere. This is basically like if CW Liokaiser or TR Chaos on Velocitron was sold at a Botcon a few months before coming to where they were normally sold.
Gotcha. Thanks ;)^
Re: Hascon 2017 Magic The Gathering Exclusive Cards, Featuring Transformers Grimlock (1900688)
Posted by Prime Target on July 29th, 2017 @ 8:27pm CDT
Hah! and the rumors said she was gonna be a just a Loudmouth Repaint. So glad this is ligit but srsly can anyone tell me which Titan Masters Daniel and Magnus are retooled from or if they're new molds completely? :-?
Re: Hascon 2017 Magic The Gathering Exclusive Cards, Featuring Transformers Grimlock (1900690)
Posted by Deadput on July 29th, 2017 @ 8:48pm CDT
Prime Target wrote:Hah! and the rumors said she was gonna be a just a Loudmouth Repaint. So glad this is ligit but srsly can anyone tell me which Titan Masters Daniel and Magnus are retooled from or if they're new molds completely? :-?


Magnus sort of looks like Fangry.
Re: Hascon 2017 Magic The Gathering Exclusive Cards, Featuring Transformers Grimlock (1900704)
Posted by Sabrblade on July 29th, 2017 @ 10:55pm CDT
Prime Target wrote:Hah! and the rumors said she was gonna be a just a Loudmouth Repaint. So glad this is ligit but srsly can anyone tell me which Titan Masters Daniel and Magnus are retooled from or if they're new molds completely? :-?
Leinad is a retool of Hyperfire with a new Titan Master head based on Daniel's exosuit helmet, and with a new Arcee face on his back.

Ultra Magnus uses Fangry as a base, but uses the same diecast metal torso as Rodimus Prime and Thunderwing, while keeping Fangry's Titan Master head, and has a new Ultra Magnus face on his back.
Re: Hascon 2017 Magic The Gathering Exclusive Cards, Featuring Transformers Grimlock (1900724)
Posted by Jelze Bunnycat on July 30th, 2017 @ 1:51am CDT
Sabrblade wrote:
Prime Target wrote:Hah! and the rumors said she was gonna be a just a Loudmouth Repaint. So glad this is ligit but srsly can anyone tell me which Titan Masters Daniel and Magnus are retooled from or if they're new molds completely? :-?
Leinad is a retool of Hyperfire with a new Titan Master head based on Daniel's exosuit helmet, and with a new Arcee face on his back.

Ultra Magnus uses Fangry as a base, but uses the same diecast metal torso as Rodimus Prime and Thunderwing, while keeping Fangry's Titan Master head, and has a new Ultra Magnus face on his back.


I suggested that Arcee was a redecoed Loudmouth before I even heard of the rumors... Nah, couldn't be.

But Leinad and Ultra Magnus are indeed based on Stylor and Fangry respectively, though the card art has Magnus be a composite of the two. Plus, it's suspected they were part of a themed box set, but got split up.
Re: Hascon 2017 Magic The Gathering Exclusive Cards, Featuring Transformers Grimlock (1900940)
Posted by frogbat on July 31st, 2017 @ 6:49am CDT
Sabrblade wrote:
frogbat wrote:The cons are that it's an exclusive
Until it comes to retail later.


yep, but it'll be at a premium right?
Re: Hascon 2017 Magic The Gathering Exclusive Cards, Featuring Transformers Grimlock (1900946)
Posted by Kyleor on July 31st, 2017 @ 8:12am CDT
Hopefully the Optimus power bank will be available elsewhere for non-scalper pricing.
Re: Hascon 2017 Magic The Gathering Exclusive Cards, Featuring Transformers Grimlock (1900959)
Posted by zodconvoy on July 31st, 2017 @ 9:10am CDT
I'm just waiting for BBTS and TFSource to have preorders up.

Featured Products on Amazon.com

Buy "Transformers MPM04 Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Sinnertwin" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Solus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Autobot Moonracer" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Leader Evolution Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Toys Megatron Cyberverse Ultimate Class Action Figure - Repeatable Fusion Mega Shot Action Attack Move - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 11.5-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Twin Twist and Flameout" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Legends Class Chop Shop Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Mega 1-Step Turbo Changer Dragonstorm" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Power Series Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Legends Class Autobot Rewind" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #267 - Netflix Earthrise Reviewed
Twincast / Podcast #267:
"Netflix Earthrise Reviewed"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Monday, December 28th, 2020

New Items on eBay

Buy "Transformers IF EX-26R Racing Bros. Retrograde (Runabout)(Runamuck)" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers HUB Dark Of The Moon Cyberverse: MEGATRON (Unopened) Series 1 003" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS Kingdom War For Cybertron Trilogy LEADER CLASS OPTIMUS PRIME NEW" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers IRONWORKS Earthrise War for Cybertron Trilogy Hasbro brand new" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Robot Academy Medix the Doc-Bot Action Figure" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers War for Cybertron Earthrise Quintesson Judge Allicon Sharkticon Lot" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 08 Leader Class Decepticon Blackout with upgrade DNA" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Scorponok 21 in Action Figure - WFC-E25" on EBAY