IDW Press Release - Transformers to Face Greatest Enemy Ever This Summer

Transformers News: IDW Press Release - Transformers to Face Greatest Enemy Ever This Summer

Saturday, March 24th, 2018 5:16PM CDT

Categories: Comic Book News, Press Releases
Posted by: D-Maximal_Primal   Views: 15,398

Straight from IDW themselves, we have a new press release regarding the upcoming Unicron event for the IDW Transformers comics! The new press release does state that the Unicron event will be the end of the current IDW universe as we know it now, taking place over the course of 6 biweekly issues this summer, though what that means for the future of Transformers comics is uncertain, especially since we do know that Lost Light is set to run through December. The release also covers the fact that the event is being written by John Barber and drawn and colored by Alex Milne and Sebastian Cheng, respectively. Various Transformers artists from the past 12 years will also be providing other covers, including Andrew Griffith, Nick Roche, and many more.

Check it all out below, along with a new image of Unicron in robot mode!

The TRANSFORMERS Bots Face Their Greatest Enemy Ever In This Summer’s Event Series
TRANSFORMERS: UNICRON
The First Chapter Launches On Free Comic Book Day

SAN DIEGO, CA (March 24th, 2018) – The fate of all worlds are at stake, as the world-eating menace Unicron has set his sights on Cybertron, home of the TRANSFORMERS robots, and next in line… EARTH! A bi-weekly six issue event titled TRANSFORMERS: UNICRON arrives this July and will bring about the end of the TRANSFORMERS universe as we know it. As Optimus Prime gathers his defense against this monstrous threat, it might be too little too late.

Veteran TRANSFORMERS creators John Barber (Optimus Prime) and Alex Milne (More Than Meets The Eye) are joined by colorist Sebastian Cheng (Revolution) to tell the epic conclusion to the current TRANSFORMERS comic book universe.

“TRANSFORMERS: UNICRON is a culmination of the years of TRANSFORMERS comics I've been a part of... and the conclusion of one of the longest continued narrative in TRANSFORMERS history” said Barber. “This is a story of heroism in the face of impossible odds; of a reckoning for an entire universe. I couldn't be luckier than to have Alex [Milne] right here with me on this—if you know Alex, you know nobody puts more into the TRANSFORMERS than he does, and nowhere before has he drawn drama, action, and pathos at this scale. Tying it all together is the incredible palette of Sebastian Cheng. We've never held back before on our TRANSFORMERS comics, but this time we're pushing ourselves—and each other—harder than ever.”

TRANSFORMERS mainstays from the past 12 years will be providing variant covers for the series, including Andrew Griffith, Nick Roche, and many more. Additionally, legendary comic artist Bill Sienkiewicz will be reinterpreting his classic cover to TRANSFORMERS #1 as a special variant, along with a new cover by Francesco Francavilla.

“TRANSFORMERS: UNICRON is a grand finale to the past 12 years of TRANSFORMERS comics at IDW and to really celebrate that and to celebrate the people who have made it such an amazing ride, we’re getting some amazing, beloved artists to contribute to what I'm sure will be our biggest—literally—TRANSFORMERS story ever,” said David Mariotte, Associate Editor. “This is an event years in the making and one that only works because of the years fans and creators have invested in the comic.”

The action kicks off on Free Comic Book Day, May 5th, with the #0 issue by the series creative; available for free at comic shops across the country. Don’t miss the world-ending first chapter of the summer’s cataclysmic event!

About IDW
IDW Media Holdings, Inc. (OCTQX: IDWM) is a fully integrated media company, which includes publishing, games, entertainment, and the San Diego Comic Art Gallery.

IDW Publishing’s comic book and graphic novel catalog includes some of the world’s most popular entertainment brands, including Transformers, My Little Pony, Star Trek, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Ghostbusters, and Disney’s classic characters. At IDW’s core is its commitment to creator-owned comics including 30 Days of Night, Locke & Key, Wormwood, Ragnarök, V-Wars, and Archangel by bestselling sci-fi author William Gibson.

IDW Publishing is also home to the acclaimed and award-winning imprints; Top Shelf, The Library of American Comics, Yoe! Books, and Artist Editions, showcasing the greatest original art ever published in American comic books.

IDW Games’ diverse line-up includes the international phenomenon Machi Koro, as well as hit licensed games such as X-Files, Back to the Future, The Godfather, and TMNT.

IDW Entertainment serves as the worldwide distributor of Wynonna Earp airing on the Syfy Channel in the U.S. and is producing BBC America’s Dirk Gently, based on the bestseller by Douglas Adams starring Elijah Wood and Samuel Barnett.

Credit(s): IDW
Re: IDW Press Release - Transformers to Face Greatest Enemy Ever This Summer (1948023)
Posted by AllNewSuperRobot on March 24th, 2018 @ 5:17pm CDT
The design is certainly... Busy
Re: IDW Press Release - Transformers to Face Greatest Enemy Ever This Summer (1948025)
Posted by Randomhero on March 24th, 2018 @ 5:31pm CDT
Re: IDW Press Release - Transformers to Face Greatest Enemy Ever This Summer (1948026)
Posted by KorsO on March 24th, 2018 @ 5:34pm CDT
Hyperventilating... :APPLAUSE: :BOWDOWN:

Am digging it so far. Hope this arc delivers.
Re: IDW Press Release - Transformers to Face Greatest Enemy Ever This Summer (1948027)
Posted by AllNewSuperRobot on March 24th, 2018 @ 5:38pm CDT
Randomhero wrote:Noooooooo.....don’t turn into a robot. It’s so much better if he was just a planet. :(

True ;)

However, Unicron has always had the caveat that he has to transform (other then than title of the series). Because otherwise he is invincible.
Re: IDW Press Release - Transformers to Face Greatest Enemy Ever This Summer (1948032)
Posted by ZeroWolf on March 24th, 2018 @ 5:50pm CDT
...I want that design as a toy please...

@allnew Shadow Raiders! Loved that show back in the day, and the design for the enemies.
Re: IDW Press Release - Transformers to Face Greatest Enemy Ever This Summer (1948033)
Posted by AllNewSuperRobot on March 24th, 2018 @ 5:52pm CDT
Beast Wars may be the best Transformers series in my eyes, but Shadow Raiders was the best series Mainframe ever did.
Re: IDW Press Release - Transformers to Face Greatest Enemy Ever This Summer (1948034)
Posted by Randomhero on March 24th, 2018 @ 5:52pm CDT
The remains of Cybertron are in his right hand...if Primus is introduced than hes hiding out in earth.
Re: IDW Press Release - Transformers to Face Greatest Enemy Ever This Summer (1948035)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on March 24th, 2018 @ 6:02pm CDT
I love that design. Alex Milne for the wi(lne)!!!
Re: IDW Press Release - Transformers to Face Greatest Enemy Ever This Summer (1948038)
Posted by Ironhidensh on March 24th, 2018 @ 6:35pm CDT
R.i.p. IDWverse. :(
Re: IDW Press Release - Transformers to Face Greatest Enemy Ever This Summer (1948043)
Posted by ausbot on March 24th, 2018 @ 7:32pm CDT
Looks like Gaia Unicron from TF Prime.
Re: IDW Press Release - Transformers to Face Greatest Enemy Ever This Summer (1948045)
Posted by megamanfan on March 24th, 2018 @ 7:42pm CDT
AllNewSuperRobot wrote:The design is certainly... Busy

he is a planet, after all. i would be surprised (and disappointed) if he was simple.
Re: IDW Press Release - Transformers to Face Greatest Enemy Ever This Summer (1948054)
Posted by Silverwing on March 24th, 2018 @ 8:31pm CDT
Randomhero wrote:The remains of Cybertron are in his right hand

Oh, man I hadn't noticed that! After all the Transformers have been through to rebuild and stabilize their home, to have it just torn to shreds like that... it's tragic. I actually feel sad for them right now.
Re: IDW Press Release - Transformers to Face Greatest Enemy Ever This Summer (1948059)
Posted by Randomhero on March 24th, 2018 @ 9:07pm CDT
It’s not really the end. Like I’ve said before that’s how all big events and stuff like this market it.

It’s like when Marvel did Unicron and one of the most famous Marvel covers is him eating everyone and when Dreamwave did him the big cover was him crushing the transformers logo with everyone defeated and dead around him.

COMICS PEOPLE! MARKETING! WE NEED TO BOOST SALES!
Re: IDW Press Release - Transformers to Face Greatest Enemy Ever This Summer (1948064)
Posted by Randomhero on March 24th, 2018 @ 9:23pm CDT
I just hate it when he turns into a robot. while it looks awesome he doesnt do anything. In the movie he transformed smacked cybertorn and kinda just stood around and swatted attackers and the dinobots that were attacking his but until he blew up. In marvel he showed up, stomped on the planet, puked on scorponok, ate brainstorm and then stood around till thunderwing showed up and then transformed into a planet to eat the cybertron. In the Armada cartoon he just stood there till he disappeared. Devil Due GI Joe VS Transformers again, he stood there.

when he showed up in the armada comics and didnt transform i was 18 and annoyed because he didnt transform but 15 years later i get it. Turning into a giant robot is just dumb! you really cant do anything with it.
Re: IDW Press Release - Transformers to Face Greatest Enemy Ever This Summer (1948073)
Posted by Lore Keeper on March 24th, 2018 @ 10:35pm CDT
I'm still holding out hope that they're being hyperbolic. I really do not want this continuity to end. Regardless of how much anyone likes or dislikes it, there's no debating that this is the most fleshed out continuity in Transformers history. There is so much time and detail invested in this universe, to see it all go away and be replaced with something else just feels like a loss for fans all over. Plus, let's be honest, given Hasbro's track record for following up it's most acclaimed series (G1 to G2, Beast Wars to Beast Machines, TF Prime to RID), it will very likely be a huge drop in quality. This comic series has kept me interested through all the RID'15, movie, and Machinima garbage over recent years. It almost feels like the big kids just aren't allowed to have nice things.
Re: IDW Press Release - Transformers to Face Greatest Enemy Ever This Summer (1948075)
Posted by JazZeke on March 24th, 2018 @ 10:49pm CDT
I'm kind of in shock. This is affecting me more deeply than I thought it would. I mean, it feels like a shame to just throw out eight years’ worth of great continuity (the comics have been running for twelve years, but McCarthy and Costas’ runs were garbage and don’t count).

But on a personal level, it feels like I’m loosing yet another connection to my younger, more innocent self. I mean geez, it just hit me that these comics started when I was just 18. That’s my entire adult life so far, man. IDW got the license while I was at the height of my comics collecting and involvement with the Transformers fandom, around the same time when I started up the Transformers RPG site that changed my life, helped me meet both of my girlfriends and made me decide I wanted to become a writer.

I’ve gotten behind in the comics because of finances, but I catch up when I can. It’s the end of an era, not just for some comic license, but for me personally. It’s a lot to process.
Re: IDW Press Release - Transformers to Face Greatest Enemy Ever This Summer (1948083)
Posted by william-james88 on March 24th, 2018 @ 11:49pm CDT
Re: IDW Press Release - Transformers to Face Greatest Enemy Ever This Summer (1948084)
Posted by Randomhero on March 25th, 2018 @ 12:08am CDT
william-james88 wrote:Dont have long to write, just wanted to say that this is not the design I had in mind. I was hoping for something with less spikes. We will see how it goes, but this feels very 90s to me. I cant believe its drawn by Milne and not Mark Silvestri.

Well what do you expect from the guy who made the designs for the Tarn, Chief Justice Tyrest and Stardive. All of whom are covered in spikes.

Let’s keep in mind Milne did not design most of the characters from MTMTE. Nick did. Alex Milne isn’t the most creative in the design department sometimes. For a very long time he just mimicked other artists design quirks. If you have or can find the Dreamwave Armada character books you can See Alex Milne when he first drew transformers and they are very different to what he ended up doing when he was out on a book because he started copying Don Figeroas style to almost ripping him off. When don started putting little bit notches on transformers noses, Alex started doing it. When don started putting vents on the hands all of a sudden Alex started adding vents to the hands. When don started putting hydraulics under the arms, Alex started putting them on too. There’s a very specific reason they had Alex take over TF ongoing when Don jumped ship and never looked back. When Alex was placed on mtmte he stared simplifying his art to look like nicks art. More stylized, less detail much more expressive.

I mean look at issue two cover to mtmte with Rodimus in it. Rodimus looks like he’s infected by a dire wraith lol
Re: IDW Press Release - Transformers to Face Greatest Enemy Ever This Summer (1948095)
Posted by partholon on March 25th, 2018 @ 2:39am CDT
Starting to look like they're hedging their bets on losing the licence (who's contract is up the end of this year from what I've heard) and want to be able to tie everything up neatly.

It's certainly not looking like the usual "event" to me.

Tbh I'm conflicted. The ations and parts of MTMTE / rid were brilliant.

But by christ the recent stuff has suffered from pc tripe that's hit their quality. If it goes to another company or we get back to basics It could be the best thing to happen.
Re: IDW Press Release - Transformers to Face Greatest Enemy Ever This Summer (1948104)
Posted by AllNewSuperRobot on March 25th, 2018 @ 4:30am CDT
If it does turn out to be the end of IDW's license and yet another thing that Disney purchases for Marvel, I wouldn't buy a single issue. I refuse to support a monopolising force in the industry.
Transformers products from AMAZON