Aggressive Back Rubs: Machinima's Transformers Power of the Primes Episode 2 REVIEW

Transformers News: Aggressive Back Rubs: Machinima's Transformers Power of the Primes Episode 2 REVIEW

Tuesday, May 8th, 2018 4:03PM CDT

Categories: Cartoon News, Reviews, Site Articles
Posted by: Bronzewolf   Views: 15,736

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

Another Tuesday brings another episode of Machinima's Power of the Primes cartoon. Last week we discussed episode one, and it was not great, to say the least. Will episode two do any better? Will it fare any worse? Let's find out, as we dive into Volcanicus!

(I also suppose I should warn you that the following review does contain spoilers for the POTP Cartoon, just in case. You can read my review of episode one here.)

We jump in where the first episode left off, in the "Primal Forest", with Victorion, Windblade, and Perceptor fighting the newly formed dinobot combiner, Volcanicus.

Transformers News: Re: Machinima Transformers Power of the Primes Cartoon Discussion Thread
Uh, roll credits, I guess?

Similar to the last episode, this scene is riddled with bizarre continuity errors that just make no sense, and could have been resolved with simple editing. We're introduced to our first one here: Our heroes are trying to come up with a plan to take down Volcanicus, as they recognize they should be searching for the Requiem Blaster before it falls into Megatronus' hands. Windblade blames Victorion for making the Dinobots so angry they had to combine, saying they had them "Under control" (Suuuure), when Volcanicus tries to step on them. They appear surprised, as if they couldn't see him coming from a mile away. They decide to try to find Megatron, but Victorion says she doesn't need his help.

Transformers News: Re: Machinima Transformers Power of the Primes Cartoon Discussion Thread
How does one get snuck up on BY A GIANT ROBOT DINOSAUR COMBINER?!

Speaking of old Megs, we catch back up with him, as well. After being thrown miles away (a distance described in the official episode summary) into the swamp by Grimlock in the last episode, he wakes up...ten feet from where Volcanicus and the main cast are?

Transformers News: Re: Machinima Transformers Power of the Primes Cartoon Discussion Thread
?!?!?

Nearby, he sees a convenient odd glint of light in the forest. He decides to go investigate, leaving the rest of the crew to fend for themselves.

The scene changes and we finally see Devastator, Computron, and Menasor again, currently being questioned by Overlord and..."Rodimus Cron" Menasor swears he doesn't know anything about where Megatron and the others have gone, and Rodimus responds by shooting Computron through the chest, apparently dead now.

Devastator also gets shot through the chest, but survives. Overlord compliments Rodimus on his firepower, and has a flashback to him pulling the "Matrix of Chaos" out of Unicron's decapitated head. Megatronus (through hologram) congratulates Overlord for finding it. Something to notice here is the the Matrix of Chaos uses the Botcon 2000 design for the Matrix of Conquest. An interesting trivia bit pointed out by Seibertronian Sabrblade. Anyway, Devastator and Menasor decide to take them on, but they aren't strong enough, and Devastator gets shot through the chest again, launched through the air, and still survives.

Transformers News: Re: Machinima Transformers Power of the Primes Cartoon Discussion Thread
What is physics?

Menasor gets his fist crushed by Overlord, and then gets kicked around for his trouble. Again to the show's credit, between DashieXP's vocal performance and an actually expressive face animation for once, this scene is quite painful and desperate. Even though Menasor only gets his hand crushed, it feels violent and dramatic. I just wish some of that drama and weight would carry over to other parts of the series. Character's deaths in particular.

Back in the swamps, Windblade and crew are still dealing with Volcanicus. The grand plan that Victorion came up with is to have Perceptor distract Volcanicus while the other two attack. Perceptor decides to do this by pretending to be a researcher who wants to ask Volcanicus a few questions, even though not only did Vocanicus just see him two seconds ago, but Grimlock identified him by name last episode.
However bad of a plan it is, it works for long enough to let Victorion take a swing at the Dinos, showing that she's nearly the same size, compared to earlier in the episode where she was dwarfed by Volcanicus.

Transformers News: Re: Machinima Transformers Power of the Primes Cartoon Discussion Thread
Transformers News: Re: Machinima Transformers Power of the Primes Cartoon Discussion Thread
What is scale?

Just when it looks like all hope is lost and Vocanicus has them beat, Predaking emerges from the swamp, taking out the Dinobots. He demands to know where the Enigma of Combination is. We cut away just as he decides to blast Victorion. We'll have to wait till episode three to see how that turns out.
Samoa Joe, a new actor to the Trilogy, actually puts on a great performance as Predaking from what we've seen so far of him. He's not really the traditional voice for the character, but it works well in my opinion.

Back at Metroplex City, the two remaining combiners are getting torn to shreds. Overlord Demands answers out of Menasor, and orders Rodimus to continue shooting Devastator until he gets them. Devastator gets an arm and a leg blown off before Menasor talks. He tells Overlord that Megatron headed to the Primal Swamp. Overlord orders Devastator killed anyway, and then kills Menasor by...(checks notecards) gently pushing on the back of his neck.

Transformers News: Re: Machinima Transformers Power of the Primes Cartoon Discussion Thread
Devastator dies by a dozen shots straight through the spark from an agent of Unicron, and Menasor dies from an aggressive backrub. Got it.

Overlord and Rodimus then start their journey to the swamp, and the episode ends.

Episode two was arguably an improvement over the season opener, though I'm not sure if that's a complement, nor if it's good enough. It certainly doesn't instill faith into the rest of the series. It feels like it's just spinning it's wheels, getting nowhere, even though it's already introduced the majority of the main cast now, and they are all on separate missions. Episode two felt too much like filler with no point or purpose, and there's no tone to speak of. While bits and pieces work, the majority doesn't, especially with an angering amount of random continuity problems plaguing both episode one and two which, and correct me if I'm wrong, weren't as prevalent in either of the two previous shows. We'll see where it goes from here.

Thanks for reading my review of Machinima's Power of the Primes episode 2! If you want to watch it for yourself, you can find it on the Go90 platform and the Transformers Tumblr account. Make sure to share your thoughts on the episode and my review in the comments below, and then tune in next Tuesday when we'll take a look at episode three!
Credit(s): Go90
Search Got Transformers News? Let us know here!
Re: Aggressive Back Rubs: Machinima's Transformers Power of the Primes Episode 2 REVIEW (1958328)
Posted by Qwan on May 8th, 2018 @ 6:22pm CDT
To be honest, the coolest moment (or I guess, the only cool moment?) to me was seeing Volcanicus open his mouth to roar. I guess I never thought about his mouth working that way, but it gives me pleasant thoughts of Unit-01 (or any of the other Evas too, I guess). That aside... yeah, not much to praise here.

In particular, how come Devastator can get a hole blown through his chest and be basically fine, but when the same happened to Optimus he was dead before he hit the ground? Consistency is not this show's strong suit, obviously, but like... of course the moment they decide to show characters actually getting physically damaged, it raises even more continuity questions. This show just can't catch a break.
Re: Aggressive Back Rubs: Machinima's Transformers Power of the Primes Episode 2 REVIEW (1958331)
Posted by Bronzewolf on May 8th, 2018 @ 7:02pm CDT
Qwan wrote:To be honest, the coolest moment (or I guess, the only cool moment?) to me was seeing Volcanicus open his mouth to roar. I guess I never thought about his mouth working that way, but it gives me pleasant thoughts of Unit-01 (or any of the other Evas too, I guess). That aside... yeah, not much to praise here.

In particular, how come Devastator can get a hole blown through his chest and be basically fine, but when the same happened to Optimus he was dead before he hit the ground? Consistency is not this show's strong suit, obviously, but like... of course the moment they decide to show characters actually getting physically damaged, it raises even more continuity questions. This show just can't catch a break.


Yeah, I thought about touching on that, the whole "never showing damage" thing. Speaking of, volcanicus got frickin' blasted by Predaking without a scratch.
Re: Aggressive Back Rubs: Machinima's Transformers Power of the Primes Episode 2 REVIEW (1958336)
Posted by WreckerJack on May 8th, 2018 @ 8:21pm CDT
I think it could have been better. Some of the action was really good but I wish they would take out some of the awkward anime grunts and close ups.

I wonder if Victorion will get her arm back at some point. I don't even remember how she lost it at this point.
Re: Aggressive Back Rubs: Machinima's Transformers Power of the Primes Episode 2 REVIEW (1958340)
Posted by Ultra Markus on May 8th, 2018 @ 9:08pm CDT
WreckerJack wrote:I think it could have been better. Some of the action was really good but I wish they would take out some of the awkward anime grunts and close ups.

I wonder if Victorion will get her arm back at some point. I don't even remember how she lost it at this point.

i doubt it, they will kill her off too, they will probably all die before megatron decides to throw his weight around killing overlord then he becomes unricons new minion GALVATRON! :lol:
Re: Aggressive Back Rubs: Machinima's Transformers Power of the Primes Episode 2 REVIEW (1958350)
Posted by william-james88 on May 8th, 2018 @ 9:59pm CDT
How tall is this fucking grass!!!?!?!???!!
Re: Aggressive Back Rubs: Machinima's Transformers Power of the Primes Episode 2 REVIEW (1958351)
Posted by Bronzewolf on May 8th, 2018 @ 10:09pm CDT
william-james88 wrote:How tall is this **** grass!!!?!?!???!!

Re: Aggressive Back Rubs: Machinima's Transformers Power of the Primes Episode 2 REVIEW (1958354)
Posted by william-james88 on May 8th, 2018 @ 10:14pm CDT
Bronzewolf wrote:
william-james88 wrote:How tall is this **** grass!!!?!?!???!!



Haha, this grass is at least what, like 100 times that tall.

Which is nonsense and is the worst setting they could have for giant robots. Its dumb, plain and simple. Also, its lazy. They could have had trees or detailed vegetation but they couldnt afford that, so long strands of tall grass it is.
Re: Aggressive Back Rubs: Machinima's Transformers Power of the Primes Episode 2 REVIEW (1958359)
Posted by Flashwave on May 8th, 2018 @ 11:39pm CDT
Qwan wrote:

In particular, how come Devastator can get a hole blown through his chest and be basically fine, but when the same happened to Optimus he was dead before he hit the ground? Consistency is not this show's strong suit, obviously, but like... of course the moment they decide to show characters actually getting physically damaged, it raises even more continuity questions. This show just can't catch a break.

Not to defend this show or anything, cause it’s... not good, but You’re talking about a Combiner vs. a singular bot. Optimus Prime catches a blast through his chest and its fatal, because for lack of a better word, he only has one chest. Devastator’s “chest” is made up of 2 separate bots, and there are 6 sparks with six “brains” in there as well. Even if someone were to greviously wound Long Haul himself, there’s still a bunch of Constructicons in there, plenty of processing power for the whole, so long as Long Haul isn’t bleeding like a sieve or the damage is so great it hampers leg movement. Does that make sense?

Admittedly, a single shot killedCOmputron as well, and that makes Devy’s surviving less obvious, although one *might* argue that because of the way they combine, Computron’s one bot torso vs. Devy’s 2 bot torso there’s fewer redundancies.
Re: Aggressive Back Rubs: Machinima's Transformers Power of the Primes Episode 2 REVIEW (1958360)
Posted by Ultra Markus on May 9th, 2018 @ 12:04am CDT
Flashwave wrote:
Qwan wrote:

In particular, how come Devastator can get a hole blown through his chest and be basically fine, but when the same happened to Optimus he was dead before he hit the ground? Consistency is not this show's strong suit, obviously, but like... of course the moment they decide to show characters actually getting physically damaged, it raises even more continuity questions. This show just can't catch a break.

Not to defend this show or anything, cause it’s... not good, but You’re talking about a Combiner vs. a singular bot. Optimus Prime catches a blast through his chest and its fatal, because for lack of a better word, he only has one chest. Devastator’s “chest” is made up of 2 separate bots, and there are 6 sparks with six “brains” in there as well. Even if someone were to greviously wound Long Haul himself, there’s still a bunch of Constructicons in there, plenty of processing power for the whole, so long as Long Haul isn’t bleeding like a sieve or the damage is so great it hampers leg movement. Does that make sense?

Admittedly, a single shot killedCOmputron as well, and that makes Devy’s surviving less obvious, although one *might* argue that because of the way they combine, Computron’s one bot torso vs. Devy’s 2 bot torso there’s fewer redundancies.

what i find odd is that devastator could have separated and fled but acted as though they were stuck combined and in the titan wars we clearly see longhaul seperate from the rest
it kind of bothers me that we have combiners that dont do their combining
:BANG_HEAD:
Re: Aggressive Back Rubs: Machinima's Transformers Power of the Primes Episode 2 REVIEW (1958399)
Posted by Sabrblade on May 9th, 2018 @ 6:45am CDT
william-james88 wrote:
Bronzewolf wrote:
william-james88 wrote:How tall is this **** grass!!!?!?!???!!



Haha, this grass is at least what, like 100 times that tall.

Which is nonsense and is the worst setting they could have for giant robots. Its dumb, plain and simple. Also, its lazy. They could have had trees or detailed vegetation but they couldnt afford that, so long strands of tall grass it is.
Not to defend this show for its choices, but why should alien/Cybertronian flora look exactly like Earthen flora? Why couldn't Cybertron's equivalent of trees look to our Earthen eyes instead like giant tubes of grass? These are alien plants, after all. There are no rules saying that all plant life in the universe has to have the same biological characteristics that make Earth's plants look the way they look.

Besides, the tall grass-like swamp flora of these episodes reminds me of when I used to play with my toys in the unmowed grass outside in the front yard, pretending that they were having adventures in a jungle. ;)
Re: Aggressive Back Rubs: Machinima's Transformers Power of the Primes Episode 2 REVIEW (1958415)
Posted by o.supreme on May 9th, 2018 @ 9:22am CDT
I'd pay real money if someone dubbed this Audio over Volcanicus *searching* for the Autobots

Re: Aggressive Back Rubs: Machinima's Transformers Power of the Primes Episode 2 REVIEW (1958426)
Posted by Rodimus Knight on May 9th, 2018 @ 9:47am CDT
o.supreme wrote:I'd pay real money if someone dubbed this Audio over Volcanicus *searching* for the Autobots



That would be a kind of awesome...

So the original scale shown for Volcanicus in this, again bring back all the disappointment at the Dinobot Combiner being done at Deluxe Sizes. HE would have been so much more Badass does in Voyager class.

As someone else noted, I don't understand why the Combiners stay together like they do. Separating and attacked en mass from different angles would have made so much more sense. Then there is the combining with each other as a limb or torso gets destroyed.

And where those ball of light supposed to be the Combiner's spark? IF so it seems to go back to the idea that the combiner is the true robot and the separate parts are just drones. Of course thew you get to the Dinobot combiner, who have been shown not to be drones, but then their combiner mode is dumber then the writers of this series.
Re: Aggressive Back Rubs: Machinima's Transformers Power of the Primes Episode 2 REVIEW (1958454)
Posted by DarkEnergon on May 9th, 2018 @ 11:57am CDT
So frustrating - so much activity that adds up to nothing.

I love the art and designs, but the animation and fights seem so slow and silly. I even like some of the humor and characterizations, but I mean nothing adds up. Some guys have really strong lasers, some don't? If I'm a combiner and I'm being pinned by the head, I'd be inclined to uncombine...

And I need to back in this thread, because I still don't even grasp what is going on with Megatronus and Starscream and Overlord and Solus Prime.
Re: Aggressive Back Rubs: Machinima's Transformers Power of the Primes Episode 2 REVIEW (1958509)
Posted by Galactic Prime on May 9th, 2018 @ 4:21pm CDT
This show is as F'ing terrible as the last two were. It's almost as if Hasbro's right hand said to these giant a$$clowns, here take G1 characters, and make a show, the fans have been crying for one for the last 2 decades, but make it really F'ing crappy so they learn never to ask for one again.

But then Hasbro's left hand goes and gives us all these kick a$$ G1 update toys.

F'ing morons.
Re: Aggressive Back Rubs: Machinima's Transformers Power of the Primes Episode 2 REVIEW (1958529)
Posted by ZeroWolf on May 9th, 2018 @ 5:20pm CDT
I can live with them not acting like the g1 versions as that would be boring but this...this doesn't work but I get the feeling that hasbro probably already signed off on what's to follow and so, has lost any sense of concern that this series does well. I mean will they really contract these people to do a war for cybertron series for next year? I know hasbro is more pumped for the cyberverse show as that's geared towards the traditional market but I think there's space for three TF shows if done right. Or they could do what DC have been doing for years and do direct to DVD features based around different stories pulled from across the different universes. They could call it Transformers Multiverse and have stories based on classic g1 strips, updates of classic g1 episodes with much better animation and scripting. These scope there but alas, I think money issues would sink it...hence why we've got these in the first place
Re: Aggressive Back Rubs: Machinima's Transformers Power of the Primes Episode 2 REVIEW (1958530)
Posted by Galactic Prime on May 9th, 2018 @ 5:24pm CDT
ZeroWolf wrote:I can live with them not acting like the g1 versions as that would be boring but this...this doesn't work but I get the feeling that hasbro probably already signed off on what's to follow and so, has lost any sense of concern that this series does well. I mean will they really contract these people to do a war for cybertron series for next year? I know hasbro is more pumped for the cyberverse show as that's geared towards the traditional market but I think there's space for three TF shows if done right. Or they could do what DC have been doing for years and do direct to DVD features based around different stories pulled from across the different universes. They could call it Transformers Multiverse and have stories based on classic g1 strips, updates of classic g1 episodes with much better animation and scripting. These scope there but alas, I think money issues would sink it...hence why we've got these in the first place


I never said anything about them acting like the G1 characters, although that would be a HUGE improvement.
Re: Aggressive Back Rubs: Machinima's Transformers Power of the Primes Episode 2 REVIEW (1958535)
Posted by ZeroWolf on May 9th, 2018 @ 5:36pm CDT
Nah, the only place they should act like their g1 selves is in the g1 toon, that's all. I mean they had a good thing going in Titan Returns with Megatron being a good sarcastic shade of grey, but here they wasted it. How many eps is this supposed to be again?

Right now I'm betting that Primal will show up, merge his spark that of Optimus Prime (achieving a nod to the beast wars show) to achieve hos optimal Optimus form before laying waste to the bad guys with a macguffin of some sort.
Re: Aggressive Back Rubs: Machinima's Transformers Power of the Primes Episode 2 REVIEW (1958553)
Posted by Ultra Markus on May 9th, 2018 @ 8:36pm CDT
ZeroWolf wrote:Nah, the only place they should act like their g1 selves is in the g1 toon, that's all. I mean they had a good thing going in Titan Returns with Megatron being a good sarcastic shade of grey, but here they wasted it. How many eps is this supposed to be again?

Right now I'm betting that Primal will show up, merge his spark that of Optimus Prime (achieving a nod to the beast wars show) to achieve hos optimal Optimus form before laying waste to the bad guys with a macguffin of some sort.

i kind of would rather have them do a continuation from rebirth and have it lead into where they are now but then that would mean no megatron
Re: Aggressive Back Rubs: Machinima's Transformers Power of the Primes Episode 2 REVIEW (1958701)
Posted by o.supreme on May 10th, 2018 @ 10:13am CDT
ZeroWolf wrote:I can live with them not acting like the g1 versions as that would be boring

You might think it would be boring, and that's all well and good, but trust me. Tons of fans of the original animated series, including myself, wish for the day the original animated series continuity will be returned to in some form. It would be no doubt, the most popular animated entry since TF Prime, and BW before that.


ZeroWolf wrote:Or they could do what DC have been doing for years and do direct to DVD features based around different stories pulled from across the different universes.


Now this I agree with, and have been asking for it for years. DC has done more than 30 animated films in the past 10 years. Some are great, some mediocre, and some downright awful, but I'm still glad they exist. Prior to recent events, naysayers would always tell me it was "too expensive" to produce direct to home media films from Hasbro, but after the recent acquisition of Saban, and what they paid, they literally could have made at least 15 animated films with that amount of money. Getting just 2 films per year that focus on different continuities in the TF Multiverse would be amazing, I'd be all for it.
Re: Aggressive Back Rubs: Machinima's Transformers Power of the Primes Episode 2 REVIEW (1958758)
Posted by Galactic Prime on May 10th, 2018 @ 3:56pm CDT
Transformers hasn't been truly great on TV since Prime and Animated and before that G1. Everything else is pretty much filth. Although Rescue Bots is a cute show for little kids
Transformers products from AMAZON

Featured Products

Buy "Transformers Masterpiece MP-21 Bumble Figure" on AMAZON
You save: 41%
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #201 - Sweet Boy
Twincast / Podcast #201:
"Sweet Boy"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Sunday, June 10th, 2018
Transformers products from EBAY

Items Ending Soon