Another Di Bonaventura Interview

Another Di Bonaventura Interview

Thursday, March 8th, 2007 9:27am CST

Categories: Movie Related News, People News, Interviews
Posted by: Raymond T.   Views: 18,307

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

Another interview with Transformers Movie producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura as popped up on the net. This time with the Movie Reporter. Aside from the new GI Joe movie, di Bonaventura also had a few things about Transformers. When asked about Megatron, he had the following to say.

"We're trying to hold him back from everybody, you know, it's like, entertainment is, I'm going to paraphrase something Warren Beatty said a few months ago, I read it in the paper and I thought it's so damn simple and it's perfectly profound, he said the most important element of entertainment is surprise. And I thought, I hadn't really thought about it that way, but it's true and one of the things that's been, I won't say frustrating because it's the wrong word but one of the things we've just had to deal with is people's constant attention and people constantly trying to...you know the art department had like 39,000 hacks the first month on, or attempted hacks on their thing. So, the good news for us is that nobody has seen the robots in final form because they are not final yet, we haven't either, so, everybody is making this assumption of what they're going to look like, but, you haven't seen them yet so you can't, they're wrong. They're close in a couple cases but they're not there yet and Megatron will be one of the last ones on purpose because we are hoping to finish I'll call them our hero robots first because they take, I was almost about to reveal something, I'm not going to (laughter), but, we'll spend more screen time with them, I'll say it that way. So, and we have to interact with them, Shia has to interact a lot with them so they're the ones we had to hone first".

Credit(s): www.iesb.net


News Search

Got Transformers News? Let us know here!

Re: Another Di Bonaventura Interview (45853)
Posted by dj_funk_gut on March 8th, 2007 @ 9:31am CST
hello.. the toys are out.,. and the toys reflected a lot of what the leaked images looked like.
So unless the TFs change they're look by again the end of the movie. i'd say we aren't goingto see any more major changes.
Re: Another Di Bonaventura Interview (45862)
Posted by MAC Prime on March 8th, 2007 @ 9:39am CST
What is he mad?

What change could do accomplish now with Megatron or anybody for that matter? Yes I suspect that its ongoing to an extent but come on now.

I haven't seen the toy version for Megatron yet though so its quite possible some major changes could take place but one concern, the prequel comic just came out and its very distinct on what ol Megs is going to look like.
Re: Another Di Bonaventura Interview (45892)
Posted by Robinson on March 8th, 2007 @ 10:08am CST
Meg's is a protofrom in the movie, toy, and comic, so he could be the easiest to change, as far as toys looking like the movie counterpart, I've seen a few toy versions of movie properties and alot of times they dont look anything alike...anyone remember the street fighter movie g.i. joes.
Re: Another Di Bonaventura Interview (45894)
Posted by Anonymous on March 8th, 2007 @ 10:08am CST
Funny, he acts like we like the design for "Megatron".

DJ, I was thinking the same thing. I'm so tired of their "It's not final!" bull. I also hate how they make it seem like we all like the designs. Not everyone does, especially me.

If they think "Megatron" was a good suprise, they truly are blind.
Re: Another Di Bonaventura Interview (45895)
Posted by Robinson on March 8th, 2007 @ 10:10am CST
I don't see anywhere where he talks about like or dislike, all i see is "not reveal final design"
Re: Another Di Bonaventura Interview (45899)
Posted by The Mad Asshatter on March 8th, 2007 @ 10:13am CST
1bigray wrote:I don't see anywhere where he talks about like or dislike, all i see is "not reveal final design"


He's just making assumptions again. :wink:
Re: Another Di Bonaventura Interview (45913)
Posted by Robinson on March 8th, 2007 @ 10:32am CST
True
Re: Another Di Bonaventura Interview (45947)
Posted by Maximus Prime on March 8th, 2007 @ 11:25am CST
Bluebullet wrote:Funny, he acts like we like the design for "Megatron".


Please provide the sentence that gave you that impression.

DJ, I was thinking the same thing. I'm so tired of their "It's not final!" bull. I also hate how they make it seem like we all like the designs. Not everyone does, especially me.


Yes, we know. And we know nothing is going to change your opinion. You will hate it, hate it, hate it, and no one is going to make you say differently.

Interesting, I hate snakes. So when I go to the zoo I stay away from the reptile display. I don't keep going in and to start ranting about how much I hate them.

If they think "Megatron" was a good suprise, they truly are blind.


And you didn't understand what he was saying. he said that they are trying to keep Megs a secret because they want to make him a surprise for people.

If you are going to argue about stuff at least get it right.
You're no better than Kittie Rose.
Re: Another Di Bonaventura Interview (45981)
Posted by The Mad Asshatter on March 8th, 2007 @ 12:09pm CST
Maximus Prime wrote:Yes, we know. And we know nothing is going to change your opinion. You will hate it, hate it, hate it, and no one is going to make you say differently.

Interesting, I hate snakes. So when I go to the zoo I stay away from the reptile display. I don't keep going in and to start ranting about how much I hate them.


:lol:
Re: Another Di Bonaventura Interview (46053)
Posted by sideswipe6520 on March 8th, 2007 @ 2:00pm CST
hrmm perhaps Wreckage is not really wreckage? I definitely get a megatron vibe from him!
Re: Another Di Bonaventura Interview (46054)
Posted by Anonymous on March 8th, 2007 @ 2:00pm CST
Maximus Prime wrote:
Bluebullet wrote:Funny, he acts like we like the design for "Megatron".


Please provide the sentence that gave you that impression.

We're trying to hold him back from everybody.......the most important element of entertainment is surprise.

He wants us to be "suprised". Common sense says that he thinks it's a good suprise, because if you have lots of money tied into a suprise, you'll want it to be a good suprise. If he thinks we will be happily suprised, he thinks we like the design. Common sense is your friend.

DJ, I was thinking the same thing. I'm so tired of their "It's not final!" bull. I also hate how they make it seem like we all like the designs. Not everyone does, especially me.


Yes, we know. And we know nothing is going to change your opinion. You will hate it, hate it, hate it, and no one is going to make you say differently.

Interesting, I hate snakes. So when I go to the zoo I stay away from the reptile display. I don't keep going in and to start ranting about how much I hate them.

But do snakes threaten to change your hobby permanently?

If they think "Megatron" was a good suprise, they truly are blind.


And you didn't understand what he was saying. he said that they are trying to keep Megs a secret because they want to make him a surprise for people.

If you are going to argue about stuff at least get it right.
You're no better than Kittie Rose.

I'm saying he doesn't know squat about what the fans think, because he thinks everyone likes the design, while it is almost the exact opposite of that. As I stated, he thinks people will be pleasantly suprised, when most people who liked Transformers as a kid will be pissed off. I've read movie discussion boards where people who grew up in the 80's were pissed about Megatron not being a gun. Can you imagine how pissed they'll be when they see his design?
Re: Another Di Bonaventura Interview (46061)
Posted by bumblezzz on March 8th, 2007 @ 2:10pm CST
Megatron film version kicks @$$
Re: Another Di Bonaventura Interview (46079)
Posted by Robinson on March 8th, 2007 @ 2:32pm CST
He wants us to be "suprised". Common sense says that he thinks it's a good suprise, because if you have lots of money tied into a suprise, you'll want it to be a good suprise. If he thinks we will be happily suprised, he thinks we like the design. Common sense is your friend.


The general public will be, you have to take into consideration that this movie is not just for the fans, it is for everyone. The people that dont spend days on a fansite that dont already know what the semi final designs look like. Common sense is also your friend. Take a look at the big picture and stop being so narrow minded about "your hobby" being changed forever
Re: Another Di Bonaventura Interview (46111)
Posted by The Mad Asshatter on March 8th, 2007 @ 3:17pm CST
Bluebullet wrote:I'm saying he doesn't know squat about what the fans think, because he thinks everyone likes the design, while it is almost the exact opposite of that. As I stated, he thinks people will be pleasantly suprised, when most people who liked Transformers as a kid will be pissed off. I've read movie discussion boards where people who grew up in the 80's were pissed about Megatron not being a gun. Can you imagine how pissed they'll be when they see his design?


So were you hiding in a cave a few months ago or something?


I'm not happy with the designs. There isn't really anything that can be done this late in the game though. It's pointless to bitch and moan about something that can't be changed.

I doubt that I will like the movie, but you know what? I'm not going to slit my wrists over it.

This whole "Rapin' mah childhood" argument you keep putting forth is ridiculous. You act like you're the only one that's going to see this movie. Perhaps you should give Don a call, as I'm sure he'd love to hear how you would fix the movie.

If you hate Michael Bay so much, don't go see the movie. When all the cool kids are talking about how much the movie RAWKS, don't give in to the temptation to pay for a ticket. Download it and feel free to come back here and voice your opinion of the finished product. Anything more, and you'll just be whoring for attention....oh wait.
Re: Another Di Bonaventura Interview (46124)
Posted by Maximus Prime on March 8th, 2007 @ 3:32pm CST
Bluebullet wrote:
Maximus Prime wrote:
Bluebullet wrote:Funny, he acts like we like the design for "Megatron".


Please provide the sentence that gave you that impression.

We're trying to hold him back from everybody.......the most important element of entertainment is surprise.

He wants us to be "suprised". Common sense says that he thinks it's a good suprise, because if you have lots of money tied into a suprise, you'll want it to be a good suprise. If he thinks we will be happily suprised, he thinks we like the design. Common sense is your friend.


You changed the tenses in your own argument. :roll:

"he acts like we like the design for Megatron" means that we have already seen it, which we haven't. At least not the design he's referring to.
He doesn't think we like the design, he may think we will like the design, but those are two totally different statements.
your argument, as always, is pure speculation.

But really, what difference does it truly make, at least to you? You don't like Michael Bay, you don't like the designs, you don't like anything about the script, so why are you still arguing with people about something you have no interest in seeing?.
Shut the hell up and move on. Buy some G1 toys, or watch the G1 boxsets, but stay the hell out of a forum that has everything to do with something that you want nothing to do with.
Re: Another Di Bonaventura Interview (46125)
Posted by Seibertron on March 8th, 2007 @ 3:33pm CST
Lorenzo's comments just confuse me. I am somehow still holding out hope that there is an earth-mode for Megatron at the end of the movie that we somehow don't know about yet and it's going to look really, really awesome. All of this talk from the movie guys about holding back on Megatron makes me wish even more for a surprise ending with an earth-mode Megatron. I've read the script. I've seen the toys. Heck, I've seen parts of the movie already. But I'm somehow holding onto a thread of hope that there's something in the last act of the movie that makes Megatron a more respectable looking character than he is now.

I might like what I've seen of the movie so far, but I still think Megatron and Starscream's robot modes are for the Smelting Pool. Where's Straxus when you need him?
Re: Another Di Bonaventura Interview (46199)
Posted by Autobot032 on March 8th, 2007 @ 4:49pm CST
I think he's telling us the truth here.

1.) Toy Fair didn't publicly show Megatron or other figures beyond Optimus and Ultimate Bumblebee.

2.) They still have plenty of time to render in the finishing touches, etc.

3.) What we saw was a proto for Megatron, and there were two for Optimus. Just because we got the one proto for Optimus, doesn't mean we'll end up with the one seen for Megatron.

Look, I was as skeptical as the rest of you, in fact..I was worse. I downright hated Bay and his crew. (Yes, I hated the idea so much that I actually hated PEOPLE over it. How ridiculous is that???)

Fortunately, I went in with an opened mind when it came to the script (I didn't want to, but I realized it wasn't finished, so no harm, no foul.) and sure enough, it entertained the hell out of me. (Scratch that, it f@#kin' rocked.) They kept a good portion of the script, and made changes we haven't seen yet.

I have a feeling this will be an entertaining film. This isn't the TFs that you quite remember, but it is TFs nonetheless.

The toys aren't perfect, I'll be the first to admit it, but come on...this is ridiculous.

Watch the movie, buy a toy or two, then make your *INFORMED* decision. Then, if you hate it...alright then. You tried, you didn't like it, no harm, no foul. If you do end up liking it however, there's plenty of crow eating to go 'round.
Re: Another Di Bonaventura Interview (46204)
Posted by bumblezzz on March 8th, 2007 @ 4:52pm CST
people need to chill for the sake of the transformers.
Re: Another Di Bonaventura Interview (46211)
Posted by AbsumZer0 on March 8th, 2007 @ 4:57pm CST
Autobot032 wrote:I think he's telling us the truth here.

1.) Toy Fair didn't publicly show Megatron or other figures beyond Optimus and Ultimate Bumblebee.

2.) They still have plenty of time to render in the finishing touches, etc.

3.) What we saw was a proto for Megatron, and there were two for Optimus. Just because we got the one proto for Optimus, doesn't mean we'll end up with the one seen for Megatron.

Look, I was as skeptical as the rest of you, in fact..I was worse. I downright hated Bay and his crew. (Yes, I hated the idea so much that I actually hated PEOPLE over it. How ridiculous is that???)

Fortunately, I went in with an opened mind when it came to the script (I didn't want to, but I realized it wasn't finished, so no harm, no foul.) and sure enough, it entertained the hell out of me. (Scratch that, it f@#kin' rocked.) They kept a good portion of the script, and made changes we haven't seen yet.

I have a feeling this will be an entertaining film. This isn't the TFs that you quite remember, but it is TFs nonetheless.

The toys aren't perfect, I'll be the first to admit it, but come on...this is ridiculous.

Watch the movie, buy a toy or two, then make your *INFORMED* decision. Then, if you hate it...alright then. You tried, you didn't like it, no harm, no foul. If you do end up liking it however, there's plenty of crow eating to go 'round.


The two Optimus protos we saw were for two different price-point figures, the other likely being the Voyager-class figure set for release in a later wave. That proto is going to be the Megatron we get. At most they'll change the head, beyond that, that's it.
Re: Another Di Bonaventura Interview (46219)
Posted by Robinson on March 8th, 2007 @ 5:03pm CST
And an earth form if there truly is one for the movie

Featured Products on Amazon.com

Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Battleslash" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Grimlock Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Quintus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 13 Voyager Class Movie 2 Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Misfire and Aimless" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Sludge" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of the Primes Voyager Class Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Acid Storm" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Legends Class Autobot Stripes" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Bumblebee Evolution 3-Pack (Amazon Exclusive)" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Platinum RID Grimlock and Bumblebee - Exclusive" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Voyager Class Onslaught Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #270 - An Ox, a Seagull and a Monster
Twincast / Podcast #270:
"An Ox, a Seagull and a Monster"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Sunday, February 14th, 2021

New Items on eBay

Buy "transformers tfcc tfss 1.0 Breakdown" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers DOTM Blackout Cyberverse Legends" on EBAY
Buy "TFCC funpub 2013 Transformers club membership Depthcharge Depth Charge botcon" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Reveal the Shield 'G2' Optimus Prime" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers  Collectors Club Dion - Sealed Unopened with instructions" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers G2 Reveal the Shield Deluxe Optimus Prime MOSC" on EBAY
Buy "2009 Transformers Revenge Of The Fallen Deluxe Bludgeon" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers TLK Skullitron NEW MISB - TRU Exclusive" on EBAY