BBC North West Showcases Alleged Biggest Transformers Collection

Transformers News: BBC North West Showcases Alleged Biggest Transformers Collection

Thursday, May 17th, 2018 3:39AM CDT

Categories: Toy News, Digital Media News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 15,570

A new clip from UK-based broadcaster BBC North West over on their social media channels has brought to light what is claimed to be the Guinness World Record beating Transformers collection - currently recorded at 1000 figures, though the record entry is hard to find on the site itself.

The collection in the video, belonging to Mancunian Louis Georgiou, is claimed to be around 1900-2000 items strong, but also appears to include non-official products from third party companies and knock-offs (I see you, offcolour RID Wheeljack), alongside many new and older Hasbro and Takara Tomy figures (including a Sixshot and Victory Leo!). Nonetheless, the clip is warming in that it shows another perspective to mainstream media audiences about the hobby as sometimes does not happen, mentions that the collection started by buying toys for his son first of all, and is shown to the office co-workers regularly, as they all wait in that space. Check it out below, and join our discussion on what makes a full collection, what makes Your collection, how many is too many or how many is the most - all in the Energon Pub boards!

Credit(s): BBC North West
Re: BBC North West Showcases Alleged Biggest Transformers Collection (1959936)
Posted by ausbot on May 17th, 2018 @ 4:43am CDT
Why get them to beat a record? Very uninspiring.
Re: BBC North West Showcases Alleged Biggest Transformers Collection (1959942)
Posted by Carnivius_Prime on May 17th, 2018 @ 5:25am CDT
I spent too long examining that clip on the 1080p stream. :P
I don't think I could ever own that many. There's not that many Transformers figures I would like to have and I like to keep my collections managable. Selling off ones I'm bored with and keeping my absolute faves.

Impressive collection though.
Re: BBC North West Showcases Alleged Biggest Transformers Collection (1959948)
Posted by ScottyP on May 17th, 2018 @ 7:08am CDT

Neat seeing someone's collection though.
Re: BBC North West Showcases Alleged Biggest Transformers Collection (1959949)
Posted by sol magnus on May 17th, 2018 @ 7:15am CDT
It's an impressive collection, whether it's the biggest or not. Maybe there is more footage, but I didn't catch any Masterpiece on my first pass.
Re: BBC North West Showcases Alleged Biggest Transformers Collection (1959955)
Posted by Rated X on May 17th, 2018 @ 7:58am CDT
ScottyP wrote:One day the person with the actual largest collection will go public with it and I look forward to seeing it. It's not mine, by a long shot!

Neat seeing someone's collection though.

If Guinness says this is the largest collection why would you dispute them?
Re: BBC North West Showcases Alleged Biggest Transformers Collection (1959959)
Posted by Seibertron on May 17th, 2018 @ 8:24am CDT
Rated X wrote:

Neat seeing someone's collection though.

If Guinness says this is the largest collection why would you dispute them?

Because it's not the biggest, not by a long shot. I have a far larger collection, and I doubt even mine is the largest. I've estimated for years that I own around 8,000+ Transformers. Over 4,000 of which I have photographed for this site. When you've been obsessively collecting only Transformers primarily for 34 years, 1,000 Transformers is an extremely easy number to surpass.
Re: BBC North West Showcases Alleged Biggest Transformers Collection (1959960)
Posted by MECHdirge on May 17th, 2018 @ 8:26am CDT
I have around 950 Transformers in my collection right now, and I only started collecting in 2001 or so (aside from six g1 minis from 1984-1985). I have very few movie figures, no Animated, few RID, and don’t care for the Masterpiece scale. I started collecting while working for an anime importer, buying a lot of the reissue figures, and a lot of the older Beast Wars figures at a few conventions I attended (for work). I quit in ‘04 and didn’t buy many Energon and Cybertron figures before starting to purchase more regularly with the Classics/Henkei line.. I have perhaps 50 third-party figures, although I’ve tried to stop purchasing them n recent years (being patient for Hasbro releases). I’m mostly focusing on the current Generations-type lines (only rarely skipping a few Leader class figures, as I prefer smaller scales) and started filling in my missing G1 figures (mostly 84-87, not the later half of G1).

That said, I am definitely a casual collector.

I have a few other hobbies that make a lot more sense, but I still enjoy unboxing new figures every 3-4 months (big shipments from BBTS). I have about half on display on wall shelves in my man cave, but we really don’t use the room for much aside from exercise equipment.

I can only imagine the hardcore collectors have four and five thousand figures, although I guess some have specialties that get increasingly expensive and difficult to locate. I still haven’t added a few “holy grail” type G1 figures to my collection... Fort Max, for example, although I bought the recent Titans. I don’t keep my toys in the box (no room, nor interest). I’m not looking for the thousand dollar plus chase figures and Japanese exclusives. If I have half as many figures as this guy, I would guess he’s not even in the ballpark for a world record collection.

That said, it’s still neat to see how, why, and what other Transformer collectors like. I really don’t have any interest in conventions and only have bumped into one other collector in the last 17 years (coworker of my wife). I am mostly a lurker on these forums. It’s not a very “social” hobby, at least for me, compared to other interests (tabletop gaming and car shows). I would definitely like to see more on why people collect and what their particular interests are. I really have never been able to answer the “why” adequately... save I enjoy having new versions of the toys I was very fond of for a short time as a child. **Shrugs**
Re: BBC North West Showcases Alleged Biggest Transformers Collection (1959961)
Posted by kurthy on May 17th, 2018 @ 8:34am CDT
I think this guy might have him beat by a little.
Re: BBC North West Showcases Alleged Biggest Transformers Collection (1959963)
Posted by Ironhidensh on May 17th, 2018 @ 8:39am CDT
Seibertron wrote:
Rated X wrote:

Neat seeing someone's collection though.

If Guinness says this is the largest collection why would you dispute them?

Before I choose to downsize it, my own collection was easily 3000+ figures. 2000 is impressive, but nowhere near the biggest even on this site. Just look over some of the collection threads.
Re: BBC North West Showcases Alleged Biggest Transformers Collection (1959964)
Posted by Super Megatron on May 17th, 2018 @ 8:56am CDT
This is so cute.

2000 figure isn't a "collection" - it's a section of any real collectors.
Re: BBC North West Showcases Alleged Biggest Transformers Collection (1959967)
Posted by Ironhidensh on May 17th, 2018 @ 9:23am CDT
Super Megatron wrote:This is so cute.

2000 figure isn't a "collection" - it's a section of any real collectors.

This is going to sound personal, but it's not.

I don't like the above attitude. It doesn't matter if you have 1 figure, a 100, or 10000, a collection is what you make of it.

That's different for everyone.
Re: BBC North West Showcases Alleged Biggest Transformers Collection (1959969)
Posted by Seibertron on May 17th, 2018 @ 9:24am CDT
Ironhidensh wrote:
Super Megatron wrote:This is so cute.

2000 figure isn't a "collection" - it's a section of any real collectors.

This is going to sound personal, but it's not.

That's different for everyone.

Like they always say, it's not the size the matters...
Re: BBC North West Showcases Alleged Biggest Transformers Collection (1959970)
Posted by ScottyP on May 17th, 2018 @ 9:25am CDT
Rated X wrote:

Neat seeing someone's collection though.

If Guinness says this is the largest collection why would you dispute them?

Because unlike other records dealing with size, mine is actually larger in this case
Re: BBC North West Showcases Alleged Biggest Transformers Collection (1959971)
Posted by Rated X on May 17th, 2018 @ 9:27am CDT
Ironhidensh wrote:
Seibertron wrote:
Rated X wrote:

Neat seeing someone's collection though.

If Guinness says this is the largest collection why would you dispute them?

I hear you. But just like all those "worlds largest animal" records, there are always alleged sightings made by people who claimed to see larger but failed to document it. If you truly believe your collection is a better contender for that title, why not document it?
Re: BBC North West Showcases Alleged Biggest Transformers Collection (1959972)
Posted by Carnivius_Prime on May 17th, 2018 @ 9:28am CDT
Ironhidensh wrote:
Super Megatron wrote:This is so cute.

2000 figure isn't a "collection" - it's a section of any real collectors.

This is going to sound personal, but it's not.

That's different for everyone.

This I be agreeing with. My collection will probably never exceed something like 35-50 figures at any one time but it's still my collection.
Re: BBC North West Showcases Alleged Biggest Transformers Collection (1959976)
Posted by ScottyP on May 17th, 2018 @ 9:49am CDT
Rated X wrote:If you truly believe your collection is a better contender for that title, why not document it?
Speaking for myself: it's a ton of work, I don't collect for recognition, and I know for a fact it is not a "world record" collection even if it were to be given that title by a for-profit company like Guinness :)

I think everyone's collection is awesome despite the size and there are enough things in life that are competitive. Don't need to extend that to this hobby too!
Re: BBC North West Showcases Alleged Biggest Transformers Collection (1959978)
Posted by President-prime on May 17th, 2018 @ 9:59am CDT
I think he’s just referring to the Guinness record thing and commenting that 2-3000 is nowhere near a record. At one time my collection is over 4000 easy. Today, with the man cave, I only keep and display “nice” leader class to mp figures. Mostly real looking cars and jet figures. Still have a bunch of figures in storage and in my shed. Why have big collection when you can’t see or show your friends :)
Re: BBC North West Showcases Alleged Biggest Transformers Collection (1959979)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on May 17th, 2018 @ 10:00am CDT
Carnivius_Prime wrote:
Ironhidensh wrote:
Super Megatron wrote:This is so cute.

2000 figure isn't a "collection" - it's a section of any real collectors.

This is going to sound personal, but it's not.

That's different for everyone.

What they said. If it's done right, a collection is for personal enjoyment, not the expectations of anyone else. I have roughly 120 figures in my collection, and it continuously changes. I buy new ones, I get rid of those I get tired of. Unfortunately, sometimes later on I regret getting rid of certain figures and get them back. That's the only aspect of my collecting I need to get under control.
Re: BBC North West Showcases Alleged Biggest Transformers Collection (1959980)
Posted by President-prime on May 17th, 2018 @ 10:01am CDT
Here’s some pictures of one of my walls.
Re: BBC North West Showcases Alleged Biggest Transformers Collection (1959997)
Posted by Treetop Maximus on May 17th, 2018 @ 10:47am CDT
President-prime wrote:Here’s some pictures of one of my walls.

Man, how do you keep all that dusted? I've got a few hundred but it's mostly just MPs and TLK figures on display at the moment.
Transformers products from AMAZON

Featured Products

Buy "Transformers Masterpiece MP-21 Bumble Figure" on AMAZON
You save: 41%
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #200 - Requiem of the Twincast
"Requiem of the Twincast"
Posted: Sunday, May 20th, 2018