Campaign to Save Toys R Us Stores Is Beginning #savetoysrus

Transformers News: Campaign to Save Toys R Us Stores Is Beginning #savetoysrus

Friday, March 23rd, 2018 2:15AM CDT

Categories: Toy News, Company News, Store News
Posted by: Bounti76   Views: 12,462

Thanks to site owner Seibertron himself, we've been pointed in the direction of an L.A. Times article detailing an effort to save a majority of Toys R Us stores in the U.S., spearheaded by MGA Entertainment Inc.'s CEO and majority owner, Isaac Larian. MGA Entertainment Inc. is best known for it's line of Bratz dolls, whose entrance into the market dominated by Mattel's Barbie line was once thought foolish, until the line took a good chunk out of Barbies' share of the fashion doll market. The businessman is leading an effort to save over half of Toys R Us locations by pledging US$200 million, and trying to raise the rest of the US$800 million needed through a crowdfunding effort.

"I'm very hopeful" about salvaging hundreds of the stores, Larian said. "I am more than 85% to 90% sure I can get [the buyout] funded."

Saving at least part of Toys R Us' operations not only would benefit Larian's company — which noted it was not financially involved in Larian's effort — but also rival toy makers such as El Segundo-based Mattel Inc., Hasbro Inc. and several smaller toy manufacturers.

"People say that if there is no Toys R Us another retailer will pick up the slack. I don't think so because they don't have the room," Larian said.

Major retailers with large toy departments, such as Walmart and Target, carry about 3,000 fewer items on shelves than Toys R Us stores, said Jim Silver, editor in chief of toy-review site TTPM.com.

Larian is hoping to raise the needed money by May 28th, and if you feel inclined, you can help at the website http://www.savetoysrus.com, or by clicking the image below

Transformers News: Campaign to Save Toys R Us Stores Is Beginning #savetoysrus

What do you think of his effort to save the beleagured toy maker? Let us know below, and stay tuned to Seibertron.com for the latest news!
Credit(s): L.A. Times
Re: Campaign to Save Toys R Us Stores Is Beginning #savetoysrus (1947686)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on March 23rd, 2018 @ 4:52am CDT
Even if the toy stores will have a different names than Toys R Us, at least so many jobs will be saved. Plus, children and collectors will not be screwed.

Let's hope that they will succeed and the administration for the next stores will be more competent.
Re: Campaign to Save Toys R Us Stores Is Beginning #savetoysrus (1947690)
Posted by dragons on March 23rd, 2018 @ 5:19am CDT
Well that’s good maybe Walmart should have offers buy them out at least Walmart will have decent selection for once and bigger selection possibly friendlier customer service
Re: Campaign to Save Toys R Us Stores Is Beginning #savetoysrus (1947692)
Posted by kurthy on March 23rd, 2018 @ 5:36am CDT
I love that a billionaire has started a GoFundMe page so that he can get money to buy the store that sells his toys. He's not giving stock to people that contribute, he's just sending them a pin. ;)^ No different than Bain Capital.
Re: Campaign to Save Toys R Us Stores Is Beginning #savetoysrus (1947693)
Posted by spiderbob007 on March 23rd, 2018 @ 5:49am CDT
From the gofundme site: "Be advised that this is not a donation to a charitable cause, and there is no tax deduction available. It is a donation to a potential commercial venture. The funds raised would be added to other capital being gathered by the potential purchasers of some or all of Toys“R”Us. A donation to this campaign doesn't qualify you to claim equity in any potential acquisition; it simply means you want future generations to be Toys“R”Us kids.

Therefore, before donating, please note that there is no guarantee that the offer to purchase Toys“R”Us described above will be made or accepted. You are donating “at your own risk.” If your donation is not used to achieve the purchase of Toys“R”Us in some form, it will be returned to you."

Granted if TRU wasn't used as a debt shield by venture capitalists the company wouldn't be in the situation it is now, but if it had real value it would have several suitors with cash in hand and not this attempt by a billionaire to ensure his cash cow had a field to graze.
Re: Campaign to Save Toys R Us Stores Is Beginning #savetoysrus (1947694)
Posted by Yotsuyasan on March 23rd, 2018 @ 5:56am CDT
Re: Campaign to Save Toys R Us Stores Is Beginning #savetoysrus (1947707)
Posted by reluctantyouth on March 23rd, 2018 @ 8:16am CDT
This is a really really stupid gesture...I wouldn't give this guy a nickel. I wish Amazon would just buy out TRU or at least some of its stores.
Re: Campaign to Save Toys R Us Stores Is Beginning #savetoysrus (1947710)
Posted by Bun-Bun on March 23rd, 2018 @ 8:28am CDT
Echoing everything the last couple posters have said.

This is a snake oil salesman preying on peoples nostalgia-clouded emotions.

Great job advertising on your site to help him bilk people.

Oh boy. They could buy 1 store in Nowheresville Idaho and say "Hey we saved TRU in some form!"
What a buncha crap.
TRU as a physical place is dead. It's sad but you need to move on to the next stage of grieving.
Re: Campaign to Save Toys R Us Stores Is Beginning #savetoysrus (1947723)
Posted by o.supreme on March 23rd, 2018 @ 10:03am CDT
Wow I've never really seen such an effort to save any business before, it is inspiring, even if it doesn't work out, which I hope it does.
Re: Campaign to Save Toys R Us Stores Is Beginning #savetoysrus (1947724)
Posted by Gunmetal on March 23rd, 2018 @ 10:05am CDT
Meh, I still chucked in a few bucks.

Some thoughts:
1) $5 isn't bad for a bumper sticker representing something I care about. How much do some people spend on loot box subscriptions?

2) Even if only half of that $200M up front is his own, that's still about 10% of his entire net worth. Granted, 10% of my own net worth is nowhere near that, but it's still more than I'd just toss away.
This guy, an immigrant, took a risk and succeeded in the declining 21st century toy industry in a field with an established, dominant competitor. That's like if Gobots were still around today, but also didn't start until 1986 and the 1983 video game crash didn't happen.

3) Let's face it: this is a world where Wall Street, Silicon Valley, Hollywood, and the oil industry exist. If money is all you care about, you don't choose to sell toys.
Re: Campaign to Save Toys R Us Stores Is Beginning #savetoysrus (1947732)
Posted by ScottyP on March 23rd, 2018 @ 11:03am CDT
I think I'd rather donate to a charity.
Re: Campaign to Save Toys R Us Stores Is Beginning #savetoysrus (1947737)
Posted by Va'al on March 23rd, 2018 @ 11:11am CDT
For those of you who have been waiting on various Toys R Us stores to start their liquidation sales, though we only have confirmation for the US side of the chain (in the UK, for example, other conditions apply), Friday March 23rd, 2018 seems to the be the day in which most US stores should start their liquidation sales, according to sources such as USA Today. The liquidation process was supposed to begin yesterday, but was apparently delayed while waiting for the bankruptcy judge to sign off on the process.

USA Today wrote:Toys R Us delayed the start of liquidation sales until Friday because attorneys were still preparing a court filing for the bankruptcy judge to sign off on the process, said a person with knowledge of the company’s deliberations.

While most Toys R Us locations in the US begin their nationwide liquidation process, a movement has also begun by MGA Entertainment (makers of Bratz, L.O.L. dolls, and Little Tykes) to save Toys R Us, which we reported on in the past 24 hours. More information about the #savetoysrus movement can be found right here on Seibertron.com.

Several of our fellow Transformers fans have reported that some Toys R Us locations have not started their liquidation process yet. Adam Myrick and Action Figure Insider have both shared that specific stores still have signs posted that the liquidation process has not yet begun. If you are traveling a long distance to get to a Toys R Store, we advise that you call ahead to verify whether or not that specific store has started their liquidation sales process yet.

Let us know what your local store is up to, what deals you were able to find, and how this is affecting the area in which you usually shop and look for Transformers, or if you're directly involved as an employee of the store, by joining the Energon Pub discussion.
Re: Campaign to Save Toys R Us Stores Is Beginning #savetoysrus (1947738)
Posted by Megatron Wolf on March 23rd, 2018 @ 11:26am CDT
Id rahter fund KB toys revival than save TRU, hate to say it but TRU needs to go and a new store with new owners & management need to come in. Also in case anyone is thinking about going to TRU for the sale dont bother, transformers and other similar stuff is only 10% off & lego is 5% off. Not worth it if you ask me, feel like TRU is just trying to take advantage of us one last time before it dies.
Re: Campaign to Save Toys R Us Stores Is Beginning #savetoysrus (1947742)
Posted by o.supreme on March 23rd, 2018 @ 11:32am CDT
TRU 10% off still doesn't compete with Walmart & Target. I'm basically looking for any exclusive item (not just Transformers) that I can get anywhere else. TRU has a few, but timing is critical. Not sure if the gofundme will succeed or not, but in any event, if it does, I'm sure any surviving TRU would be very different form what we have now, for the better most likely.
Re: Campaign to Save Toys R Us Stores Is Beginning #savetoysrus (1947750)
Posted by Gunmetal on March 23rd, 2018 @ 12:25pm CDT
ScottyP wrote:I think I'd rather donate to a charity.

I do that too ;)^

Don't get me wrong, there's a reason I only tossed in $5. No one should give more than (or even equal to) what they would give to a charitable cause they believe in.

But hey, if any of you are going to throw stones over not giving every last dollar toward saving the whales and curing cancer, I have 2 words:

Earth Wars [-(
Re: Campaign to Save Toys R Us Stores Is Beginning #savetoysrus (1947751)
Posted by claborn on March 23rd, 2018 @ 12:34pm CDT
this is the transformers section in the Burbank,CA TrU on march 23rd 2018 10am on the first day of liquidation.

this is also how this section has looked most of the 3 years i browsed here. so theres that....
Re: Campaign to Save Toys R Us Stores Is Beginning #savetoysrus (1947763)
Posted by Ironhidensh on March 23rd, 2018 @ 1:34pm CDT
It's time to let go.

TRU was in trouble before the leveraged buyout, and if saved, they will be in trouble again.

The brick and mortar toy store is on life support, and has no place in the modern consumer world beyond local owned specialty shops. This plan to "save" it..... well, it sounds a bit shady.
Re: Campaign to Save Toys R Us Stores Is Beginning #savetoysrus (1947767)
Posted by o.supreme on March 23rd, 2018 @ 1:56pm CDT
Ironhidensh wrote:The brick and mortar toy store is on life support, and has no place in the modern consumer world

I strongly disagree. If you absolutely trust the interwebs for all your purchases without reservation that's fine. I use it myself when I have to. But personally, Id always rather See/handle *know what I'm getting* in real life, what I'm going to purchase before I do.
Re: Campaign to Save Toys R Us Stores Is Beginning #savetoysrus (1947771)
Posted by Ironhidensh on March 23rd, 2018 @ 2:18pm CDT
o.supreme wrote:

I get that, and I ev3n respect and understand the sentiment. The issue is that this whpay of thinking is in the vast minority, and shrinking daily. As the older generations shop less, and the younger generations shop more, online will be the way to go. Only massive corporations like Walmart will survive, and even they will have do make massive adjustments.
Re: Campaign to Save Toys R Us Stores Is Beginning #savetoysrus (1947781)
Posted by Gunmetal on March 23rd, 2018 @ 2:40pm CDT
Ironhidensh wrote:
o.supreme wrote:

I agree that shrinking and transformation will happen, but I don't think it will disappear entirely. Business interests, nostalgia, and the desire for "hands on" always seem to keep the online universe from true monopoly.

Look at digital media: that was supposed to replace physical copies long ago, yet DVD and even Blu-Ray sales continue, probably because, besides the "collection aspect", DVDs don't require subscriptions, can't be throttled back, and won't be taken away over a rights dispute.

Need any more reason to not underestimate old ways?
Re: Campaign to Save Toys R Us Stores Is Beginning #savetoysrus (1947789)
Posted by Seibertron on March 23rd, 2018 @ 3:14pm CDT
Yotsuyasan wrote:If this guy is at all serious, instead of croud funding a "Save Toys 'Я' Us" campaign offering token crap rewards to people he is asking to invest in his business venture, why not strike a deal with the people trying to bring KB back? Think how much easier it might be if they combined efforts, bought up TRU locations, and rebranded them? And then it will be done with real business partners rather than trying to get thousands of average people to invest in their business in exchange for a bumper sticker or a pin.

The KB Toys deal isn't anything to get excited about. It is certainly not a Toys R Us replacement as it is currently being discussed. It's more or less going to be the Halloween pop-up store equivalent except with toys. The Chicagoland area had some of these 2 or 3 years ago around Christmas time where it was just overpriced leftover stock from the past 5 or 10 years with really unfriendly pop-up store employees. The locations I was aware of in the northwest suburbs simply moved in after the pop-up Halloween stores moved out. It was my assumption that it was the same organization, which I thought made a lot of sense (to go from Halloween products to Toys and Christmas products).

One of the articles I read where the guy was talking about the pop-up stores made me realize that this is nothing special at all. What it seems he wants to do is purchase the leftover toy inventory, I'm sure at bargain prices, from Toys R Us warehouses or from toy makers like Mattel, Hasbro, Lego, MGA, etc who need to find a home for upcoming products they already made for Toys R Us prior to its collapse.

As toy collectors, we will most likely have already purchased these products by the time these pop-up stores "pop up". Just putting it on the record that the KB Toys that we might have some possible fun memories of will be very different from of these leftover merchandise pop-up stores that we'll potentially see later this year. From my experience, the products were way over priced and were still over priced even after the blowout clearance prices which began after Christmas that year. For those of you in the Chicagoland area, there is a similar store to the pop-up toy store that is open all year round in the old KB Toys location inside the Golf Mill mall in Niles, IL. This store also carries a lot of KO products as well as leftover retail stock (again at very high prices).

If you carefully read the articles about KB Toys and look past all of the fluff, you can figure out what the guy wants to do with these pop-up stores, and it's not what it sounds like on the surface. There are more articles out there like this one, but I think the CNN Money one sums up all you need to know. Having seen these pop-up toy stores here in Chicago, I can assure you that this is definitely NOT what it seems. It is definitely NOT KB Toys as we remember it from 10 or so years ago.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/03/20/news/co ... index.html

CNN Money wrote:"My assumption is that there's about half a billion dollars worth of toys that have been produced for Toys "R" Us with no place to go," said Strategic Marks president Ellia Kassoff, in a phone interview with CNNMoney. "That's a big, big void that we're hoping to fill up."

Kassoff said he's been in contact with Hasbro Inc. (HAS) and Mattel, Inc. (MAT) and up to 200 smaller toy suppliers who are looking for new brick and mortar retailers. He said he plans to take advantage of a glut of toy manufacturers that have inventory but no place to sell it.

To get a quick retail footprint, Kassoff said he's working with companies that specialize in holiday and pop-up retail, like Spencer Spirit Holdings Inc., Go! Retail Group, and Party City Holdco Inc. (PRTY)

I'll repost this in the KB toys discussion as well.

Buy "Transformers Deluxe Ratchet Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 01 Deluxe Class Movie 1 Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars - MEGATRON Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #219 - Big Cat Convoy
"Big Cat Convoy"
Posted: Monday, March 18th, 2019

Buy "GI Joe Transformers SDCC 2013 Comic Con Cobra Baroness *LOOSE/COMPLETE*" on EBAY
Buy "GI Joe Cobra Transformers Soundwave Vehicle 2016 Scarlett 4" Figure MIB SDCC" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS Energon Starscream, Hot Shot, Inferno" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Takara Tomy D-02 Destron Henkei Starscream Japanese" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Movie DD04 crank case" on EBAY
Buy "HASBRO TRANSFORMERS 4 AGE OF EXTINCTION GENERATIONS DELUXE HOT SHOT FIGURE" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Lot : Beast Hunters Skylynx & Generations Ratbat & Frenzy" on EBAY
Buy "G1 1986 RATBAT • 100% COMPLETE • GOLD WEAPONS • GENERATION ONE TRANSFORMERS" on EBAY