Combiner Wars Battle Core Optimus Prime Factory Installed Hip Fix

Transformers News: Combiner Wars Battle Core Optimus Prime Factory Installed Hip Fix

Friday, August 28th, 2015 9:30PM CDT

Categories: Toy News, Site Articles
Posted by: ScottyP   Views: 38,914

In a piece of good news out there for Combiner Wars fans, it looks like the combiner hip design found on Wave 1's Optimus Prime and Wave 2's Motormaster torsos, which didn't allow a squared hip pose in the Combiner mode, has been corrected with the release of Wave 4's Battle Core Optimus Prime. I received my BC Prime today from Amazon, and grabbed some pictures of this design change to help explain what you can expect if you pick this figure up.

First, the original issue:

The hip assembly on Optimus Prime and Motormaster don't allow Menasor and a Combiner using the Optimus Prime torso to stand straight legged when the hip panels are locked into place. You can see that Optimus Maximus, on the right, is able to stand in a straight legged pose with no issues, even with the hip panels locked in.

Here I've illustrated the same thing with just Menasor and Optimus Maximus.

Attempting to bend Menasors hip inwards, while leaving the hip lock intact, leads to imbalance as well. Battle Core Optimus Prime also holds on to Legends Rodimus much more securely than Motormaster or Optimus Prime can, though I can't find any obvious engineering reason for it.

If we look at just the torsos, it highlights the issue with the initial runs of this mold. And yes, I need to clean my table. I'll bring my dog over to your living room and we'll see how long yours stays clean :P

The problem here clearly comes down to the hips of the Voyager torso itself. This mold has angled feet, so the individual robot mode really wasn't intended to stand hips-squared, but the original Optimus Prime usage of it and the subsequent Motormaster release both allow this.

Upon opening up the hips, you can see this pretty clearly. This is the default position of the hip ratchet when you open the figures, with Battle Core Optimus Prime on the left and the original Optimus on the right. It isn't extremely obvious here what they did to fix it. They couldn't have just changed the position, because then mere clicks one way or another on the original mold would solve the problem. What did they do?

See it yet? Don't count teeth, it won't help.

As you can see in the pictures above, this single piece is the change. By shifting the gear teeth by half a tooth, the Combiner that you can build with the figure can now give you a tall, proud, standing-up-straight pose.

With Motormaster scheduled to be re-released in Wave 4, will a running change be made to him as well to allow for sturdier Menasors? You know, there's hope in not knowing ;) If you do get a Motormaster out of this wave's case assortment, give it a look and be sure to let our News Team know if this fix has been applied to his re-release as well.
Credit(s): Hasbro
Re: Combiner Wars Battle Core Optimus Prime Factory Installed Hip Fix (1721909)
Posted by Powered Convoy on August 28th, 2015 @ 9:36pm CDT
Takara Motormaster has the fix too.

Randy
Re: Combiner Wars Battle Core Optimus Prime Factory Installed Hip Fix (1721910)
Posted by joeprime276 on August 28th, 2015 @ 9:37pm CDT
Re: Combiner Wars Battle Core Optimus Prime Factory Installed Hip Fix (1721911)
Posted by ScottyP on August 28th, 2015 @ 9:38pm CDT
Powered Convoy wrote:Takara Motormaster has the fix too.

Randy
I really did mean to bring that up, as it inspired me to check on BC Prime in the first place. Instead, I had three beers and then wrote the news post :HEADHURTS:

joeprime276 wrote:Do you guys think that they will make a CW Sideswipe using the Breakdown mold in order to be the twin of Sunstreaker?

Personally, yes, absolutely. Easy money and I'm sure the Breakdown head might even work for it.
Re: Combiner Wars Battle Core Optimus Prime Factory Installed Hip Fix (1721913)
Posted by chuckdawg1999 on August 28th, 2015 @ 9:53pm CDT

In the back of the comic that came with Sunstreaker they show the yellow body with what appears to be Sideswipes head. Food for thought; we know there's a Ratchet coming and they might follow the Generations beat and release Tracks as a re-tool of Wheeljack, add in Sideswipe and you have three limbs in place for another torso.

I really didn't want to buy battle Core Optimus, I really didn't, I... Guaranteed delivery September 1st
Re: Combiner Wars Battle Core Optimus Prime Factory Installed Hip Fix (1721915)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on August 28th, 2015 @ 9:59pm CDT
Re: Combiner Wars Battle Core Optimus Prime Factory Installed Hip Fix (1721917)
Posted by william-james88 on August 28th, 2015 @ 10:02pm CDT
D-Maximus_Prime wrote:Good to see a fix. I still will not get him, but at least he is fixed. I may get a second mm if the hips are fixed in him though :BOT:

Umm... you could always try Hasbro customer service and tell them your MM has problems with his hips and is defective. And then ask them if you could send it back to them. They will then tell you if they have any of your item left. They usually dont and you are sent something totally random. BUT in this case, we know that they have a new batch of MMs, so they could say they can make the exchange. If so, then you get an upgraded MM for free.
Re: Combiner Wars Battle Core Optimus Prime Factory Installed Hip Fix (1721919)
Posted by ScottyP on August 28th, 2015 @ 10:06pm CDT
william-james88 wrote:

Do not do this. Very good chance you'll end up with something like an AOE Voyager. Not worth it.
Re: Combiner Wars Battle Core Optimus Prime Factory Installed Hip Fix (1721920)
Posted by Hellscream9999 on August 28th, 2015 @ 10:13pm CDT
chuckdawg1999 wrote:

Who said there was going to be a ratchet?

And so help me, if this ends up being true, and we get another '84 team... :BOOM:
Re: Combiner Wars Battle Core Optimus Prime Factory Installed Hip Fix (1721935)
Posted by Stuartmaximus on August 28th, 2015 @ 10:43pm CDT
chuckdawg1999 wrote:I really didn't want to buy battle Core Optimus, I really didn't,

You didn't need to! you could've just painted the standard one white.
Re: Combiner Wars Battle Core Optimus Prime Factory Installed Hip Fix (1721937)
Posted by william-james88 on August 28th, 2015 @ 10:48pm CDT
ScottyP wrote:
william-james88 wrote:

My advice was not to do it but to attempt it. Hasbro will say if they have the figure he needs before he sends his over to them.
Re: Combiner Wars Battle Core Optimus Prime Factory Installed Hip Fix (1721950)
Posted by Shockwave7 on August 28th, 2015 @ 11:50pm CDT

Or maybe the folks who are making those 3D printed hand and feet replacements for the CW combiners could be given the specs for the fixed versions of those ratchet teeth wheels and start printing out some of those to sell...
Re: Combiner Wars Battle Core Optimus Prime Factory Installed Hip Fix (1721951)
Posted by Hellscream9999 on August 29th, 2015 @ 12:06am CDT
Shockwave7 wrote:Neat pictoral of the MM/Prime hip issues. Is there any chance at all we could just ask Hasbro to mail out replacement ratchets? I'm sure enterprising owners would undertake the labor to fix the hips themselves. Heck, I'd pay five bucks or so just to get a couple new ratchets with the fix applied....

nonnef already has them ready to be shipped. vangeleus has also reviewed them, and I have heard nothing but positive things about it on the nonnef tfw thread; check 'em out

Re: Combiner Wars Battle Core Optimus Prime Factory Installed Hip Fix (1721958)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on August 29th, 2015 @ 12:26am CDT
william-james88 wrote:
ScottyP wrote:
william-james88 wrote:

Nah, I don't want to do this whole online over the mail return and exchange thing. No one in my family has had that end well. I can live with my MM, and if the new one is fixed, ill use him for combined mode and the other will be a stand alone :BOT:
Re: Combiner Wars Battle Core Optimus Prime Factory Installed Hip Fix (1721961)
Posted by Hellscream9999 on August 29th, 2015 @ 12:39am CDT
D-Maximus_Prime wrote:
william-james88 wrote:
ScottyP wrote:
william-james88 wrote:

You should at least consider it. I sent a rusty hotspot back and got 2 in return ;)
Re: Combiner Wars Battle Core Optimus Prime Factory Installed Hip Fix (1721962)
Posted by chuckdawg1999 on August 29th, 2015 @ 12:42am CDT
Hellscream9999 wrote:
chuckdawg1999 wrote:

Who said there was going to be a ratchet?

Back of First Aid's comic showed the mold with a Ratchet head.

Stuartmaximus wrote:You didn't need to! you could've just painted the standard one white.

Yeah but I wouldn't have the new hip ratchets.
Re: Combiner Wars Battle Core Optimus Prime Factory Installed Hip Fix (1721963)
Posted by Hellscream9999 on August 29th, 2015 @ 12:47am CDT
chuckdawg1999 wrote:
Hellscream9999 wrote:
chuckdawg1999 wrote:

Who said there was going to be a ratchet?

Back of First Aid's comic showed the mold with a Ratchet head.

Yeah but I wouldn't have the new hip ratchets.

Well, that's not confirmation, and F$%k it if it is, I am in no need for more :BOT:'s when there are :CON: to be had; I would however get the ratchet mold because the first-aid mold makes for exceptional limbs >:oP

And really if you need hip ratchets, check out nonnefs store page; we really need a nonnef thread, like tfw >:oP
Re: Combiner Wars Battle Core Optimus Prime Factory Installed Hip Fix (1721973)
Posted by william-james88 on August 29th, 2015 @ 1:05am CDT
Hellscream9999 wrote: I would however get the ratchet mold because the first-aid mold makes for exceptional limbs >:oP

I totally agree, those changes to the mold make the robot arms stay put in arm mode and give a more solid leg in leg mode.
Re: Combiner Wars Battle Core Optimus Prime Factory Installed Hip Fix (1721975)
Posted by Hellscream9999 on August 29th, 2015 @ 1:10am CDT
william-james88 wrote:

Moreso that the additional bulk around the wrist, and overall sleekness of the leg mode are far and away the best of any (bulky-style) limb. But the wrist-slots do help immensely :D
Re: Combiner Wars Battle Core Optimus Prime Factory Installed Hip Fix (1721976)
Posted by Stuartmaximus on August 29th, 2015 @ 1:10am CDT
chuckdawg1999 wrote:

Yeah but I wouldn't have the new hip ratchets.

So lemme get this right....you paid all that money....for the sake of new hip ratchets? for the same bloody figure!(albeit with a new paint job).

Hey! it's your money & you can do whatever you like with it, but I'm sure other people wouldn't go to those extremes(some might! but not all).

+ you probably wanted it to do your reviews with anyway.
Re: Combiner Wars Battle Core Optimus Prime Factory Installed Hip Fix (1721985)
Posted by fenrir72 on August 29th, 2015 @ 3:26am CDT
Powered Convoy wrote:Takara Motormaster has the fix too.

Randy

:APPLAUSE: Oh goody then! Sometimes it pays to wait.

Buy "Transformers Studio Series 13 Voyager Class Movie 2 Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Smokescreen" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 06 Voyager Class Movie 1 Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Robots in Disguise Warriors Class Sideswipe Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #226 - Fire in the Sky
"Fire in the Sky"
Posted: Sunday, July 7th, 2019

Buy "2016 SDCC GI Joe Transformers loose Zartan NIB" on EBAY
Buy "TAILGATE  TRANSFORMERS G1  COMPLETE" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS MOVIE SLIPCASE COLLECTION VOLUME 1 By Chris Ryall" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Armada Land Military Mini-Con Team, Bonecrusher, Knockout, Wreckage" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro/takara toys action figures TRANSFORMERS: Beast Machines 1999 Scavenger" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Thrilling 30 Deluxe Windblade" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations 30th Anniversary Voyager Class Autobot Whirl Figure" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of the Primes Leader Evolution Rodimus Prime" on EBAY