Monday, July 24th, 2017 10:27am CDT

Categories: Toy News, Reviews, Site Articles
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 29,261

Amidst all the negative news we were getting surrounding Titans Return and the Trypticon hip ratchet issue, I thought it would be time for some positive news.

Before release, the biggest complaint people had regarding Trypticon (aside from wanting a more IDW-esque or Aligned universe style) was his size. Only 18", he would be tiny compared to the behemoth that is Metroplex. Well, That 18" number is definitely with a wink and a nudge. I took some pictures for scale, and let me tell you, Trypticon is big. He is chunky, and can definitely throw his weight around against the other city-bot Titans. So without further interruption, take a look at this pics:

Transformers News: Re: Transformers Generations Titan Class Trypticon Thread

Transformers News: Re: Transformers Generations Titan Class Trypticon Thread

So here are the points I noticed:

1. With both bots standing fully straight, Metroplex and Trypticon are nearly eye-to-eye. Lots of people were worried they would not be compatible in terms of size, I can say this is not the case. Very much the same weight-class. What helps the "eye-to-eye" measurement for Trypticon is that his eyes are at the top of his head, while Metroplex's are at the midpoint of his head.

2. Let's talk girth, bulkiness, whatever you want to call it. It's really hard to quantify in pictures, but he looks big. Weight wise, he feels the same as Metroplex, without Full Tilt, take that how you will. But, Trypticon is all torso, which is a good thing for the type of bot he is.

3. Poor Devastator, just by the second picture alone you can tell he is sorely outclassed. In every metric (height, width, weight) he seems to be a distant 3rd. Trypticon is in a different league along with Metroplex and Fort Max.

4. Actual height measurements. As a Recap, we know that, when standing fully straight, Metroplex is 24" tall right? Well, no. 24" is to the top of the Shoulder Tower. He is 23" to the top of the Ear Pipe, and approximately 22" to the top of the helmet. And everyone's favorite Space T-Rex? 20.75" to the top of his head. 21.5" with the Horn-cannon out, and 23" to the top of his cannons. For those keeping track, he is also over 26" Tail to Nose (not including the extendable ramp).

5. So is Space T-Rex smaller than Metro/Max? Yes, but negligibly so. 1.25" separates him from Metroplex. Still well in scale with one another. And, if that's not good enough for some, all it would take is to beg a 3rd Party to make legs that are a little bit longer. It might make the figure cost double, but if that extra 1.25" is that important, he is still going to be the best Trypticon you will own.

Credit(s): mordhelm

Re: Comparisons - Transformers Generations Titan Class Trypticon vs Metroplex vs Devastator (1899151)
Posted by Randomhero on July 24th, 2017 @ 10:53am CDT

Complaining isn't gonna make him grow 5-6 inches and yeah, their will be half a dozen add on kits that will make him look like he's wearing go-go boots and high heels for $40 but I'm good with how he is already.
Re: Comparisons - Transformers Generations Titan Class Trypticon vs Metroplex vs Devastator (1899237)
Posted by YoungPrime on July 24th, 2017 @ 12:51pm CDT
Wanting Tryp to be taller than Metroplex isn't a deal breaker but it isn't "Nonsense" either.

Here's hoping that 3P will resolve the height and the hip issue at a reasonable price.
Re: Comparisons - Transformers Generations Titan Class Trypticon vs Metroplex vs Devastator (1899249)
Posted by Sodan-1 on July 24th, 2017 @ 1:35pm CDT
Re: Comparisons - Transformers Generations Titan Class Trypticon vs Metroplex vs Devastator (1899251)
Posted by Optimum Supreme on July 24th, 2017 @ 1:40pm CDT
Randomhero wrote:Mine is at the post now and I can't wait to get off and pick him up this afternoon. The height nonsense to me is exactly that, nonsense. I don't mind him being a little shorter. He's a giant robot dinosaur! He's vicious! I'm not gonna go up to a tiger and say "I can fight that because I'm taller" no, it's got claws and teeth and crap.

I'm 6'2" no way would I mess with even a 5' T-Rex, :lol:

How did the g1 figs compare, incidentally? Metroplex was shockingly small for a cityformer back in the day. More in Ultra Magnus' range IIRC. But I never had Trypticon. And Devvy's always been presented as much bigger in fiction than the toy scale would have him. >:oP
Re: Comparisons - Transformers Generations Titan Class Trypticon vs Metroplex vs Devastator (1899256)
Posted by mordhelm on July 24th, 2017 @ 1:45pm CDT
Sodan-1 wrote:Nope. Doesn't count. It might work if Trypticon was a meerkat instead of a t-rex, but even then they don't fight standing upright.

That's fine, but what person fights standing straight up? That is a horribly unbalanced position for any biped for fighting.

Remember, Trypticon was also an homage to Godzilla as well, who DID stand straight up.
Re: Comparisons - Transformers Generations Titan Class Trypticon vs Metroplex vs Devastator (1899257)
Posted by Optimum Supreme on July 24th, 2017 @ 1:46pm CDT
o.supreme wrote:
DecepticonFinishline wrote:We don't get box sets , but we get Titans!

Should be the TF Generations advertising slogan for TRU in the United States :lol:

At mine, they get neither, at least post Metroplex.
Re: Comparisons - Transformers Generations Titan Class Trypticon vs Metroplex vs Devastator (1899260)
Posted by Optimum Supreme on July 24th, 2017 @ 1:50pm CDT

"Classic" T-rexes are always upright. Not like these newfangeled "scientifically correct" t-rexes that won't even drag their tails on the ground or whatever... pffft. :roll: :P ;)
Re: Comparisons - Transformers Generations Titan Class Trypticon vs Metroplex vs Devastator (1899262)
Posted by dragons on July 24th, 2017 @ 1:53pm CDT
Never saw picture comparison with three but I may have saw comparison in size in video by emgo
Re: Comparisons - Transformers Generations Titan Class Trypticon vs Metroplex vs Devastator (1899315)
Posted by Va'al on July 24th, 2017 @ 4:21pm CDT
Optimum Supreme wrote:

Both your points are incorrect. Trypticon is fabulous.

via Twitter
Re: Comparisons - Transformers Generations Titan Class Trypticon vs Metroplex vs Devastator (1899327)
Posted by DeathReviews on July 24th, 2017 @ 4:41pm CDT
Re: Comparisons - Transformers Generations Titan Class Trypticon vs Metroplex vs Devastator (1899338)
Posted by Randomhero on July 24th, 2017 @ 5:07pm CDT
got him about an hour and half ago and i love him! i looked up a couple vids about cutting the springs and i dont know if i wanna do that. theyre pretty stiff but so far the ratchets are fine.

my only criticism is the stickers. my god im probably a third way through and have given up twice. theyre thin and foil stickers and they are awful to apply. the ones in the stomach im not even trying. i tried one and said "nah"
Re: Comparisons - Transformers Generations Titan Class Trypticon vs Metroplex vs Devastator (1899342)
Posted by mordhelm on July 24th, 2017 @ 5:23pm CDT
DeathReviews wrote:But hey, let's face it. Who's gonna pose Trypticon standing straight up like that and think that's the coolest look for him? Not ME.... ;)

I am thinking the best pose will be standing over top of a fallen Fort Max with his head in a hand or in his mouth
Re: Comparisons - Transformers Generations Titan Class Trypticon vs Metroplex vs Devastator (1899375)
Posted by Randomhero on July 24th, 2017 @ 8:36pm CDT
Re: Comparisons - Transformers Generations Titan Class Trypticon vs Metroplex vs Devastator (1899390)
Posted by Qwan on July 24th, 2017 @ 9:32pm CDT
Randomhero wrote:Image

I'm never doing that again...

I honestly have nothing to say except that is INCREDIBLE :x :x :x Oh my god I want them ALL.
Re: Comparisons - Transformers Generations Titan Class Trypticon vs Metroplex vs Devastator (1899396)
Posted by Randomhero on July 24th, 2017 @ 9:48pm CDT
Qwan wrote:
Randomhero wrote:Image

I'm never doing that again...

It took 40 minutes and oh man it gets longer and longer to make as more come out. It's every Titan master released from individual to leader and the velocitron set with a ginrai and god bomber(sixshot is off to the side). God knows i said I'll never do it again but with power of the Primes having relatively the same gimmick and scorponok coming it's gonna be a helluva city someday.
Re: Comparisons - Transformers Generations Titan Class Trypticon vs Metroplex vs Devastator (1899403)
Posted by Wolfman Jake on July 24th, 2017 @ 9:58pm CDT
I was so close to picking up Trypticon tonight! I called my local TRU right after work and was delighted when I was told, "yeah, we have a couple of them here." I went right to TRU from work, checked both of the Transformers sections (there is a small "movie" section in the front that has some Generations stuff mixed in) and couldn't find Trypticon anywhere! I couldn't even find the price sticker for Trypticon on the shelves. A store manager came up to the customer service desk to help me. She checked and found that they were actually sold out. She maintained that she had seen them earlier in the day. Thankfully, she was nice enough to call up another store in the state with some stock, a process which took about a half hour, and got them to transfer one of their Trypticons to my local store! I should be able to pick it up by Thursday and get 10% off as well with my TRU credit card. I'm willing to wait a few more days for $15 off. :)
Re: Comparisons - Transformers Generations Titan Class Trypticon vs Metroplex vs Devastator (1899893)
Posted by Stuartmaximus on July 26th, 2017 @ 12:28pm CDT
chuckdawg1999 wrote:
Cr33per wrote:Probably a stupid question but here goes. Is there a chance that Takara might use a stronger plastic in their production of Trypticon?

Doubtful. They'll give new heads, retool limbs, add paint apps and accessories, all cosmetic improvements. Changing the quality of plastic is a whole other bag and is very expensive.

Chuck will you be getting Trypticon or holding off to see what the Takara one's like? coz i've seen other popular reviewers(Emgo, Optibotimus & Peaugh) have done video reviews of him but i haven't seen one from your good self yet ;)
Re: Comparisons - Transformers Generations Titan Class Trypticon vs Metroplex vs Devastator (1899896)
Posted by MadProject on July 26th, 2017 @ 1:03pm CDT

Actually I do XD.
The straight up pose is both a reference to classic Godzilla and older T-rex.
Since Trypticon has more a Kaiju mode than a T-rex mode, I prefer it standing like old, goofy Godzilla.
Yay!
Re: Comparisons - Transformers Generations Titan Class Trypticon vs Metroplex vs Devastator (1899902)
Posted by mordhelm on July 26th, 2017 @ 1:42pm CDT
Hah, I just noticed this on my Full-Tilt. Does anyone else have 2 right knee caps? I only figured it out now that my figure has this issue. Doesn't really affect anything but the vehicle mode (the left knee won't tab in place).
Re: Comparisons - Transformers Generations Titan Class Trypticon vs Metroplex vs Devastator (1899925)
Posted by Burn on July 26th, 2017 @ 3:27pm CDT
I needed a "mental day" yesterday (much better today if anyone gives a fuck) and I thought I'd use that time to break Trypticon out of his box (he's been in there for over a month since I got him) and apply the stickers.

Short version ... I felt I was going to need another "mental day". Over 150 fucking stickers. I'm about half way, and you know what? They don't make THAT much of a difference.

I've yet to fully assemble him as it's a LOT easier putting stickers on without his legs. That being said, he's still cumbersome.

Even though I haven't assembled him, my impression is ... meh. He's big, he's clunky. And the size actually may be an issue down the track. His tall AND long, which means for many, finding him space on a shelf is going to be difficult given how much volume he takes up.

For anyone who is one the fence about this guy, let me also put this to you.

What's better? A G1 Trypticon that takes up less space and has motorised walking, or a TR Trypticon that takes up a lot of space and has a little bit of extra articulation and eats Titan Masters?

Because those are the only differing factors.

Buy "Transformers MPM04 Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Grimlock Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Nucleon and Galvatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Terri-Bull" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #270 - An Ox, a Seagull and a Monster
"An Ox, a Seagull and a Monster"
Posted: Sunday, February 14th, 2021

Buy "transformers tfcc tfss 1.0 Breakdown" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers DOTM Blackout Cyberverse Legends" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Reveal the Shield 'G2' Optimus Prime" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers G2 Reveal the Shield Deluxe Optimus Prime MOSC" on EBAY
Buy "2009 Transformers Revenge Of The Fallen Deluxe Bludgeon" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers TLK Skullitron NEW MISB - TRU Exclusive" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Siege Skywarp Phantomstrike  Squadron WFC-S27 War For Cybertron" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers SIEGE War For Cybertron,FIREDRIVE,TOPSHOT&FLAK,BLACKJACK&HYPERDRIVE" on EBAY