Denton J. Tipton retires from Transformers to work with Dragons and Elves

Denton J. Tipton retires from Transformers to work with Dragons and Elves

Wednesday, May 19th, 2010 4:46am CDT

Categories: Comic Book News, People News, Interviews
Posted by: Dead Metal   Views: 34,110

Denton J. Tipton current Editor of idws Transformers comics will be "retiring" from Transformers comics to concentrate more on idws upcoming Dungeons and Dragons comic series.
Tipton took over the spot as Editor of Transformers comics in 2008.

Wizards of the Coast: To start with, can you kindly introduce yourself and your current slate of projects (as much as we all love Dungeons & Dragons, you work on additional titles at IDW, correct?)—who are you and what's your role in IDW's upcoming D&D comic series?

Denton: Thanks. I go by Denton J. Tipton, and I’m lucky enough to edit comics for a living. It’s a ton of hard work, and hardly as glamorous as some misguided souls imagine, but there are few things I’d rather be doing. Among the licenses I handle are Transformers and Doctor Who. Other titles include Tank Girl, and various other creator-owned series. But after more than two years, I’ll be stepping away from the Robots in Disguise to concentrate on producing the best Dungeons & Dragons comics possible on this Earthly plane. My partner in crime for the past year on Transformers, Andy Schmidt, will be lending a hand, providing his extensive expertise for the launch. It all starts in August with Dungeons & Dragons #0 in comic stores and available digitally.

To read the entire interview just visit "Wizards of the Coasts" website by clicking here.

Credit(s): Wizards of the Coast

Re: Denton J. Tipton retires from Transformers to work with Dragons and Elves (1075916)
Posted by Chaoslock on May 19th, 2010 @ 4:51am CDT
Andy Schmidt? Urrrgh, his wikipedia quote doesn't foretell a bright future...

“I'm just constantly surprised at how you guys keep track of all this stuff. It's really impressive. And yes, it's a part of my job, but it's not how my brain works naturally. I have to really work at it. This is part of the job that doesn't come easily to me. ... Back at Marvel we just didn't care”

Still, he did write Spotlight Metroplex, and it wasn't bad at all - maybe now they'll continue that storyline?
Re: Denton J. Tipton retires from Transformers to work with Dragons and Elves (1075918)
Posted by GEEWUN on May 19th, 2010 @ 4:52am CDT
Re: Denton J. Tipton retires from Transformers to work with Dragons and Elves (1075925)
Posted by vegetacron on May 19th, 2010 @ 5:46am CDT
He isn't "retiring".

If he was retiring, he would'nt be an editor anymore. Article should read 'he is moving on as editor to another series'. lol

Its like this politician the other day. He lied about serving in Vietnam. He told the newspapers, after he was caught(lying), "I miss-spoken. I served during Vietnam. Not in Vietnam."
Re: Denton J. Tipton retires from Transformers to work with Dragons and Elves (1075926)
Posted by gigazarak on May 19th, 2010 @ 5:53am CDT
GEEWUN wrote:Dungeons and Dragons or Transformers...... To me it is a no-brainer TRANSFORMERS :ic$:

Yeah kinda makes you wonder why you'd move on, to mis-quote Laurie Anderson, "Did he fall or was he pushed"? Maybe more ca$h in a new release of a potentially flag-ship brand? Not that I know much about it, but wasn't D&D popular in the 80's roughly around the same period as TF? I remember kids my age were into it pretty heavily, the whole RPG thing, I gave it a go if I recall, but it didn't do it for me.

vegetacron wrote:He isn't "retiring".

You're right, he isn't "retiring" the title of this article is...
Denton J. Tipton retires from Transformers to work with Dragons and Elves

So he's not going to be editing TF anymore, definition of retire...
retire

retire (rî-tìr´) verb
retired, retiring, retires verb, intransitive
1. To withdraw, as for rest or seclusion.
2. To go to bed.
3. To withdraw from one's occupation, business, or office; stop working.
4. To fall back or retreat, as from battle.
5. To move back or away; recede.

It doesn't only mean to retire from "one's occupation", it can mean to "withdraw, as for rest or seclusion."... Maybe the title should be "Denton J. Tipton withdraws from Transformers to work with Dragons and Elves", nitpick much!? But I think the title isn't wrong, lacks some punctuation for emphasis maybe, but it's not grammatically wrong, IMHO.
Re: Denton J. Tipton retires from Transformers to work with Dragons and Elves (1076005)
Posted by Chaoslock on May 19th, 2010 @ 10:41am CDT
gigazarak wrote:

D&D is still popular, but as I heard, its popularity dropped significantly amongst gamers after the last release - the 4.0 version suffered from an injection of Warcraft - warlock became a playable class, and the game got a few new twists. Also, it didn't help that many of the established worlds had to change to the new versions, Forgotten Realms got some shaking events, while its handbook describes everything very briefly.
Re: Denton J. Tipton retires from Transformers to work with Dragons and Elves (1076025)
Posted by Rat Convoy on May 19th, 2010 @ 11:56am CDT
The whole "borrowing from World of Warcraft" thing with D&D 4e is a load of horsecrap coming from players of old editions who have never actually picked up a 4th edition book.

Honestly, World of Warcraft borrows far more from D&D than any edition of D&D borrows from World of Warcraft.

Plus, Warlock was already a playable class in D&D prior to 4th edition.

Buy "Transformers MPM04 Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars Blast Off Megatronus Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Masterpiece MPM-7 Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Platinum RID Grimlock and Bumblebee - Exclusive" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Swindle" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #287 - Pulse Con 2021
"Pulse Con 2021"
Posted: Monday, October 25th, 2021

Buy "Transformers DOUBLE PUNCH Botcon Japan Exclusive The Evil Predacon Limited" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers War For Cybertron Soundblaster Black 35th Anniversary Hasbro WFC" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Rescue Bots SALVAGE Garbage Truck Figure Hasbro Playskool Heroes" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers 2005 BotCon Decent Into Darkness Ricochet" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS RESCUE BOTS BLADES (Shark Sub Variant), Rare Shark Sub Capture 2015" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Wheelie" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return SLUGSLINGER w/ Caliburst 2017 Figure MOSC in USA G1" on EBAY
Buy "Gigapower GP HQ-04 Graviter (METALLIC) Transformers Sludge Complete, Re-boxed" on EBAY