Disney/ Marvel Deal will have no affect on HASBRO Channel

Disney/ Marvel Deal will have no affect on HASBRO Channel

Saturday, September 5th, 2009 9:57am CDT

Categories: Cartoon News, Company News, Digital Media News, Editorials
Posted by: First Gen   Views: 42,643

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

In a report from Pawtucket, R.I., home of Hasbro, Inc., its stated that the recently announced Disney purchase of Marvel won't have any negative affects on the Hasbro/ Discovery Communications Joint Venture.

According to the article, "Hasbro landed a five-year licensing agreement in 2006 with Marvel that allows the nation’s number-two toymaker to sell Marvel-based puzzles, games and action figures. Marvel will receive $205 million in royalty and service-fee payments from Hasbro."

Hasbro spokesman Wayne Charness stated that licensed Marvel characters are not the things that the company could use to make new shows out of. "They certainly are only one of the many potential sources for TV content,” Charness said.

Analyst suspect that the new Joint Venture may bring forth such new renditions of fan favorites such as GI Joe, My Little Pony and other cartoon franchises.

Hasbro has been showing much success in the entertainment division with the two whopping success films for the Transformers franchise and GI Joe: Rise of Cobra, which is doing so well in theatres that the sequel has been approved with the same cast.

Seibertron.com will keep you posted on any new developments in this story.

Credit(s): Projo.com


News Search

Got Transformers News? Let us know here!

Re: Disney/ Marvel Deal will have no affect on HASBRO Channel (990306)
Posted by Sabrblade on September 5th, 2009 @ 11:24am CDT
Well, at least there is a bright side to this maddening merger: Hasbro's channel remains unaffected.
Re: Disney/ Marvel Deal will have no affect on HASBRO Channel (990653)
Posted by Transfaner on September 5th, 2009 @ 10:34pm CDT
It's only a matter of time before Disney owns Hasbro. They will probably buy this website too. They all ready have a piece LucasArts/LucasFilms. Don't think they'll overlook this website... Wouldn't be surprised to see them gobble up Takara after getting Hasbro either.
Re: Disney/ Marvel Deal will have no affect on HASBRO Channel (990656)
Posted by Superior Prime09 on September 5th, 2009 @ 10:43pm CDT
Okay, so... let me clarify this up. Disney bought Marvel Entertainment, not the comics but the merchandicing? or the film/animated film rights? I'm sooooo confused.



Also if it is the comics, then we're fucked! there will be cutesy cutesy Disney "non violent/non Sexual" comics. ugh!
Re: Disney/ Marvel Deal will have no affect on HASBRO Channel (990681)
Posted by atomic1fire on September 5th, 2009 @ 11:28pm CDT
Disney does adult stuff too, just not under the disney name, Miramax comes to mind. (another disney company) its like not seeing General Electric Television, when watching NBC (GE owns nbc)
they won't control it, they will have ownership, but marvel will be a company under disney,
not a disney product, that probably explains it best.
Marvel will still be marvel, but disney will pay the bills.
this may be just a move to expand disney's brand power, as they can make money and licensing off big name marvel movies and comic/toy sales.
they also gain toybiz (aka marvel toys) from this, so they could in theory make their own toys, or use the marvel deal to expand to disney licensing deals with hasbro.
plus marvel still has prior contracts, and unless they have provisions that say that if they get bought the owners can end it, the contracts should stay intact (that means no spiderman roller coaster at disneyland just yet, since universal studios themepark may have those roller rights)
Re: Disney/ Marvel Deal will have no affect on HASBRO Channel (990756)
Posted by Cyberstrike on September 6th, 2009 @ 7:37am CDT
atomic1fire wrote:Disney does adult stuff too, just not under the disney name, Miramax comes to mind. (another disney company) its like not seeing General Electric Television, when watching NBC (GE owns nbc)
they won't control it, they will have ownership, but marvel will be a company under disney,
not a disney product, that probably explains it best.
Marvel will still be marvel, but disney will pay the bills.
this may be just a move to expand disney's brand power, as they can make money and licensing off big name marvel movies and comic/toy sales.
they also gain toybiz (aka marvel toys) from this, so they could in theory make their own toys, or use the marvel deal to expand to disney licensing deals with hasbro.
plus marvel still has prior contracts, and unless they have provisions that say that if they get bought the owners can end it, the contracts should stay intact (that means no spiderman roller coaster at disneyland just yet, since universal studios themepark may have those roller rights)


As it currently stands you're 100% right.
Re: Disney/ Marvel Deal will have no affect on HASBRO Channel (990833)
Posted by Shadowman on September 6th, 2009 @ 11:44am CDT
Superior Prime09 wrote:Okay, so... let me clarify this up. Disney bought Marvel Entertainment, not the comics but the merchandicing? or the film/animated film rights? I'm sooooo confused.



Also if it is the comics, then we're ****! there will be cutesy cutesy Disney "non violent/non Sexual" comics. ugh!


They bought all of Marvel, but Disney announced they won't interfere with Marvel.
Re: Disney/ Marvel Deal will have no affect on HASBRO Channel (990837)
Posted by Convotron on September 6th, 2009 @ 11:53am CDT
Cyberstrike wrote:
atomic1fire wrote:Disney does adult stuff too, just not under the disney name, Miramax comes to mind. (another disney company) its like not seeing General Electric Television, when watching NBC (GE owns nbc)
they won't control it, they will have ownership, but marvel will be a company under disney,
not a disney product, that probably explains it best.
Marvel will still be marvel, but disney will pay the bills.
this may be just a move to expand disney's brand power, as they can make money and licensing off big name marvel movies and comic/toy sales.
they also gain toybiz (aka marvel toys) from this, so they could in theory make their own toys, or use the marvel deal to expand to disney licensing deals with hasbro.
plus marvel still has prior contracts, and unless they have provisions that say that if they get bought the owners can end it, the contracts should stay intact (that means no spiderman roller coaster at disneyland just yet, since universal studios themepark may have those roller rights)


As it currently stands you're 100% right.


Exactly! Disney isn't a one trick pony. It's a massive company with its hands in many areas of business. Their general perception as a strictly child friendly animation/toy company works to their benefit for parental consumers as well as to their detriment at times, as shown in the reactions from people who think that all of a sudden that Marvel comic properties will all of a sudden become kid friendly comics due to Disney ownership.
Re: Disney/ Marvel Deal will have no affect on HASBRO Channel (990941)
Posted by Transfaner on September 6th, 2009 @ 2:45pm CDT
Yeah, it wouldn't make any sense for disney to "kidify" marvel. Disney owns MGM (MEtro-Goldwyn-Mayer) and lots of not so family oriented movies come from it.

The only major thing I forsee, are the rides at Universal. Walt Disney himself had apersonal beef with them Universal studios, they would not sell him back the rights to his original character, predating even Mickey the Mouse, Oswald the Rabbit until just a few years ago. Besides that, it just doesn't make business sense to let your biggest compitetor use your product, even if you do make money from the royalties. Although I also don't forsee any Marvel rides comign into Disney.
Re: Disney/ Marvel Deal will have no affect on HASBRO Channel (991110)
Posted by shortround on September 6th, 2009 @ 7:31pm CDT
The other thing you have to wonder with all this talk about deals and so forth is what will happen to the video game end of the marvel entertainment. Will activison, sega, thq and all the deals with the other companies who make the marvel based games like marvel ultimate alliance, now have there games published under the disney interactive brand unstead of there own company names.
Re: Disney/ Marvel Deal will have no affect on HASBRO Channel (991197)
Posted by Shadowman on September 6th, 2009 @ 9:49pm CDT
shortround wrote:The other thing you have to wonder with all this talk about deals and so forth is what will happen to the video game end of the marvel entertainment. Will activison, sega, thq and all the deals with the other companies who make the marvel based games like marvel ultimate alliance, now have there games published under the disney interactive brand unstead of there own company names.


Disney Interactive has other companies develop games for them all the time. So, no, it won't change anything.
Re: Disney/ Marvel Deal will have no affect on HASBRO Channel (991292)
Posted by atomic1fire on September 7th, 2009 @ 12:08am CDT
Transfaner wrote:Yeah, it wouldn't make any sense for disney to "kidify" marvel. Disney owns MGM (MEtro-Goldwyn-Mayer) and lots of not so family oriented movies come from it.

The only major thing I forsee, are the rides at Universal. Walt Disney himself had apersonal beef with them Universal studios, they would not sell him back the rights to his original character, predating even Mickey the Mouse, Oswald the Rabbit until just a few years ago. Besides that, it just doesn't make business sense to let your biggest compitetor use your product, even if you do make money from the royalties. Although I also don't forsee any Marvel rides comign into Disney.

Disney doesn't own MGM
MGM has home video rights to the abc motion pictures library, but thats it as far as any deal with disney goes so far.
Re: Disney/ Marvel Deal will have no affect on HASBRO Channel (991979)
Posted by Cyber Bishop on September 8th, 2009 @ 7:28am CDT
Convotron wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:
atomic1fire wrote:Disney does adult stuff too, just not under the disney name, Miramax comes to mind. (another disney company) its like not seeing General Electric Television, when watching NBC (GE owns nbc)
they won't control it, they will have ownership, but marvel will be a company under disney,
not a disney product, that probably explains it best.
Marvel will still be marvel, but disney will pay the bills.
this may be just a move to expand disney's brand power, as they can make money and licensing off big name marvel movies and comic/toy sales.
they also gain toybiz (aka marvel toys) from this, so they could in theory make their own toys, or use the marvel deal to expand to disney licensing deals with hasbro.
plus marvel still has prior contracts, and unless they have provisions that say that if they get bought the owners can end it, the contracts should stay intact (that means no spiderman roller coaster at disneyland just yet, since universal studios themepark may have those roller rights)


As it currently stands you're 100% right.


Exactly! Disney isn't a one trick pony. It's a massive company with its hands in many areas of business. Their general perception as a strictly child friendly animation/toy company works to their benefit for parental consumers as well as to their detriment at times, as shown in the reactions from people who think that all of a sudden that Marvel comic properties will all of a sudden become kid friendly comics due to Disney ownership.


Exactly..

I see that people still have not read the other post and still have this "Disney is gonna destroy Marvel.. oh noes" mentality..

Read Shadowman's post above...

They bought all of Marvel, but Disney announced they won't interfere with Marvel.

Featured Products on Amazon.com

Buy "Transformers Generations Exclusive Cyber Battalion Class Shockwave Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Toys Optimus Prime Cyberverse Ultimate Class Action Figure - Repeatable Matrix Mega Shot Action Attack Move - Toys for Kids 6 & Up, 11.5"" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Nitro Series Barricade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Autobot Outback" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Nitro Series Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Sludge" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Terrorcon Hun-Gurrr" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Computron Collection Pack" on AMAZON
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe protectobot Groove" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Legends Class Thundercracker Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Skytread" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Premier Edition Deluxe Strafe" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #292 - Planet of Junk
Twincast / Podcast #292:
"Planet of Junk"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Tuesday, January 18th, 2022

New Items on eBay

Buy "Transformers Robots in Disguise RID Sideswipe Figure Hasbro" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Age of Extinction Stomp And Chomp 20" Grimlock Dinosaur Toy" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Construct-Bots AOE Dinofire Grimlock & Optimus Prime NIB" on EBAY
Buy "2015 TRANSFORMERS THE MOVIE 30TH PLATINUM EDITION ONE SHALL STAND ONE SHALL FALL" on EBAY
Buy "New Playskool Transformers Revenge of the Fallen Mr. Potato Head - Bumble Spud" on EBAY
Buy "Playskool Heroes Transformers Rescue Bots Roar and Rescue Bumblebee Figure" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers 15BB Buzzworthy Bumblebee Hasbro Studio Series Sealed/New In Box" on EBAY
Buy "Mr Potato Head Mini Mixable Mashable Transformers Hightide Loose Figure nice" on EBAY