eBay now removing ALL KO auctions from listings

eBay now removing ALL KO auctions from listings

Friday, May 30th, 2008 4:03pm CDT

Categories: Toy News, Auctions, Knock Offs
Posted by: First Gen   Views: 43,242

A while back Seibertron.com site owner Seibertron reported that certain eBay auctions were being removed by HASBRO, Inc.. Now reports are coming in that eBay is removing all listings for knockoff Transformers put up for auction or buy it now sale.

Could this be HASBRO finally taking action against the KO problem that has infested the TF market for so long? Is this eBay taking action on their own to prevent the sale of possibly fraudulent items? Right now its anyone's guess.

Seibertron.com was first to bring you this information and will continue to keep you updated as more information becomes available.

Credit(s): eBay

Re: eBay now removing ALL KO auctions from listings (711615)
Posted by Nekoman on May 30th, 2008 @ 4:05pm CDT
Rock on Hasbro! It’s about time.
Re: eBay now removing ALL KO auctions from listings (711616)
Posted by Autobotic9 on May 30th, 2008 @ 4:06pm CDT
Awww, I wanted that Mirage!
Re: eBay now removing ALL KO auctions from listings (711617)
Posted by Silverbolt on May 30th, 2008 @ 4:06pm CDT
Shame I actually like collecting knockoffs that actually look like knockoffs. The clear tapes, and the 4 star seekers just as examples.

As long as it doesn't look like something Hasbro or Takara is releasing I'm fine with it.
Re: eBay now removing ALL KO auctions from listings (711619)
Posted by Burn on May 30th, 2008 @ 4:09pm CDT
But how are they going to differentiate between a KO and an original?

At the moment the majority of those KO auctions list themselves as "reissues".

Now i'm in favour of this, however i'm curious as to how it will be handled because it may force some of these sellers to try to start passing them off as legit genuine figures.

And what of a seller who actually does have a genuine MISB G1 Gnaw for sale? Will he be mistaken?
Re: eBay now removing ALL KO auctions from listings (711622)
Posted by Fussion on May 30th, 2008 @ 4:12pm CDT
About #@%&ing time! :DANCE: I am tired of all the BS KO's on Ebay :-x . My prayers have been answered! :PRAY: ;)^
Re: eBay now removing ALL KO auctions from listings (711624)
Posted by DavidT on May 30th, 2008 @ 4:20pm CDT
I don't know how I feel....

I've never bought any KO's off Ebay mainly cuz I didn't know the quality of the toy, but I have always been tempted to get KO Reissues of

Grimlock
Slag
Sludge
Swoop
Mirage
the Insecticons

I guess my choice was finally made for me.... oh well I strongly hope that they all find their way into the new Encore line, which is another reason I never bought any KO's. I missed out on the TFC Insecticons but I have no doubt they make it to Encore :grin:
Re: eBay now removing ALL KO auctions from listings (711626)
Posted by Sledge on May 30th, 2008 @ 4:24pm CDT

Also, does this mean Hasbro will sort their distribution out properly? I wouldn't be considering buying a KO Alt Prowl if the figure had got a proper release in the UK.
Re: eBay now removing ALL KO auctions from listings (711633)
Posted by Menbailee on May 30th, 2008 @ 4:30pm CDT
Re: eBay now removing ALL KO auctions from listings (711634)
Posted by Seibertron on May 30th, 2008 @ 4:33pm CDT
And on that note, I bought the last clear KO Mirage that I've been wanting for a while. I'll need that to do the clear Binaltech gallery at some point. :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/Transformers-G1-Mir ... m153.l1262
Re: eBay now removing ALL KO auctions from listings (711635)
Posted by Seibertron on May 30th, 2008 @ 4:34pm CDT
Sledge wrote:If this means Hasbro are going to sell the stuff that people have been buying, great. But they claim that half the molds are no longer viable, so how are people going to get that Mirage/Swoop/whatever?

Why can't you just buy an official Binaltech or Alternator Prowl on eBay instead of a knock off?
Re: eBay now removing ALL KO auctions from listings (711637)
Posted by Scaleface on May 30th, 2008 @ 4:34pm CDT
This might actually still be a bad thing for us collectors, because the knockoffs will still be listed on ebay, but the sellers will have to pretend the items are original. At least when they said it was a knockoff they were being honest sellers and we could bid for them accordingly. Now they'll have to sell the knockoff Mirages and Swoops as original! How does that help us collectors?

In fact I see a lot of ebay knockoff sellers who still have Swoops, Sludge and Mirages for sale. They are listed as "reissues", not knockoffs.

Re: eBay now removing ALL KO auctions from listings (711638)
Posted by Burn on May 30th, 2008 @ 4:37pm CDT
Scaleface wrote:This might actually still be a bad thing for us collectors, because the knockoffs will still be listed on ebay, but the sellers will have to pretend the items are original. At least when they said it was a knockoff they were being honest sellers and we could bid for them accordingly. Now they'll have to see the knockoff Mirages and Swoops as original to stay on ebay. How does that help us collectors?

My concerns exactly.

While I want to see KO's out of the market, I just feel it's going to force them to become more underhanded and people WILL be duped into thinking they're getting a genuine release.
Re: eBay now removing ALL KO auctions from listings (711640)
Posted by Dread_Wing on May 30th, 2008 @ 4:39pm CDT
I wonder how this will affect retailers? The Warehouse (NZ equivalent of Walmart, but not as big) has always stocked knockoffs. Right across from the Hasbro transformers a lot of the time.
Re: eBay now removing ALL KO auctions from listings (711641)
Posted by ponycorn on May 30th, 2008 @ 4:39pm CDT
Menbailee wrote:My only problem here is that the immediate removal would apply to knockoffs advertised as such. In those cases, there's at least honesty, even if I'm not happy that knockoffs have become expensive attempts at lookalikes rather than cheap novelties. The unwanted side effect will be more knockoffs passed as genuine. The people who do this are the ones who need to be stopped!

Quite right!

Only the honest sellers are being punished. There's no way for Ebay to know if something is real or not, and the buyer will know even less than before, on account of sellers using creative word play to avoid the ban.

For those of us lucky enough to have a fleamarket nearby, we can still get our knockoff kick. I feel bad for those that don't though.
Re: eBay now removing ALL KO auctions from listings (711644)
Posted by Liege Evilmus on May 30th, 2008 @ 4:42pm CDT
I like this news.

I don't care if KOs are sold, I just hate seeing them sold with the same name and price as something vintage or reissue.
Re: eBay now removing ALL KO auctions from listings (711646)
Posted by Blackstreak on May 30th, 2008 @ 4:43pm CDT
A great part of me is :-P in this, but part of me is :-( . I picked up ghost versions of WST Thundercracker, Skywarp...well all of them save Starscream and Thrust and I love 'em. Well, Thundercracker's nosecone doesn't stay up in robot mode but their great! There are some KOs I will miss and there some that I would love to see DIE DIE DIE!! The really bad KOs to be specific. And your right the KOs who try pass themselves off as reissues are bad news.
Re: eBay now removing ALL KO auctions from listings (711649)
Posted by ponycorn on May 30th, 2008 @ 4:44pm CDT
Scaleface wrote:Besides, I love the knockoffs where they make changes to the original items. Like the red and gold Mirage, or the recently released gold chrome Smallest Starscream. He's lovely and Hasbro never made one, see attached.

Lovely! :shock: I want one!

I wouldn't know where else to look but ebay. :-(
Re: eBay now removing ALL KO auctions from listings (711651)
Posted by Scaleface on May 30th, 2008 @ 4:45pm CDT
Okay, here's a guide, if the toy looks like this, it's probably a knockoff.

Re: eBay now removing ALL KO auctions from listings (711653)
Posted by Sunstar on May 30th, 2008 @ 4:46pm CDT
I rather like knock offs, like the mini seekers or those WST Seekers.

This bites. I will have to look elsewhere to find those cool things that hasbro never does.
Re: eBay now removing ALL KO auctions from listings (711673)
Posted by Megatron Wolf on May 30th, 2008 @ 5:17pm CDT
Screw you hasbro. Half the KOs out there are never going to reissued. There goes trying to get a mirage or sixshot now. I understand the figures that are still in production but removing the ones that either had their mold "lost" or just cant be reissued is retarded.

I have an idea for the sellers. List them as gobots.

Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Acid Storm" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Playskool Heroes Rescue Bots Optimus Prime Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Platinum RID Grimlock and Bumblebee - Exclusive" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #268 - Call Me 2020
"Call Me 2020"
Posted: Monday, January 18th, 2021

Buy "Transformers generations Combiner Wars Skywarp" on EBAY
Buy "Vortex Decepticon Transformers Generations Fall of Cybertron 2012 Hasbro" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers RID Generations Combiner Wars Thundercracker Figure New" on EBAY
Buy "Takara Transformers Starscream Masterpiece MP-3 Figure New" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Headmaster Reissue Hardhead Chromedome Brainstorm Mindwipe Set of 4" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS GENERATIONS LOT RHINOX SOUNDWAVE DOUBLEDEALER USA HASBRO" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Jazware Zoteki Battle On Cybertron Rare Hot Toy Collectible" on EBAY