Frank Welker Speaks Out

Frank Welker Speaks Out

Monday, June 18th, 2007 6:52am CDT

Categories: Movie Related News, People News, Interviews
Posted by: Stormrider   Views: 34,548

For those of you who don’t know (or have been hibernating in a cave) – Frank Welker has done many of the Transformers voices that you know and love, including Soundwave, Sludge, and most notably Megatron (to name a few). Frank’s voice as Megatron has become legendary over the years just like Peter Cullen as Optimus Prime. So when Michael Bay announced a few months ago that he had passed over Frank in the upcoming movie, fans were quite shocked about the decision.

For all of you fans that have wanted to hear from Frank about the decision- your wait is finally over: Frank Welker finally sits down with Chud.com and fills us in.

Click here to read the interview.

Credit(s): Chud.com

Re: Frank Welker Speaks Out (169964)
Posted by Wheeljack35 on June 18th, 2007 @ 7:08am CDT
I feel so bad that Frank was passed over.Its like smacking the face of a legend
Re: Frank Welker Speaks Out (169965)
Posted by Klozminded-G1 on June 18th, 2007 @ 7:11am CDT
Not so much an 'interview' but good to see Frank passionate enough about his creation after all these years.

Sad that he felt the need to defend his work, it being loved so much by the fanbase.

Hopefully this will end up being a decent game. One WORTHY of Cullen and Welker's time.

Stormrider wrote:The Transformers Movie is right around the corner and all of the voice actors are now billed, but what happened to Frank Welker?!

Click here to read the interview.
Re: Frank Welker Speaks Out (169971)
Posted by Burn on June 18th, 2007 @ 7:19am CDT
Well that wasn't overly exciting.

Seriously though, once people see the movie and hear how few lines Megatron has, they'll probably be happy that Welker didn't "waste his time" with things.
Re: Frank Welker Speaks Out (169989)
Posted by tile_mcgillus on June 18th, 2007 @ 7:42am CDT
WOW. Welker has the respect he can get in my book. To assume that Welker couldn't scale down Megs for screen is just ridiculous. The guy can do WHATEVER he wants with his voice. Hopefully the movie spawns some cartoon series that Welker can run his one man show on.
Re: Frank Welker Speaks Out (170016)
Posted by Black Bumblebee on June 18th, 2007 @ 8:11am CDT
I am still amazed that Frank was passed over. Forget his Megatron voice for a moment and just look over his large body of work. He is a voice acting legend who has created an insanely large number of voices. Megatron is not Frenzy is not Dr. Claw is not Slimer is not Fred (Scooby Doo) is not Hefty Smurf... etc., but they all come from the same man. He has done many voices for many movies (both cartoon and live action) and would have been able to adapt to the needs of the movie.

Oh well. Since he's doing Megs in the video game, it'll be easy to "lift" his voice and dub it over Hugo in the movie.

It touched me though that after all the voices he's done in his extremely long career he still thinks quite fondly of his work on Megatron.
Re: Frank Welker Speaks Out (170017)
Posted by Metal Gear Solid Fan on June 18th, 2007 @ 8:12am CDT
Burn wrote:Well that wasn't overly exciting.

I really hope its more than a few lines...I mean, if that's the case, what's the point of even having a voice actor? I mean really!!!!! :-x
Re: Frank Welker Speaks Out (170020)
Posted by RichGarner on June 18th, 2007 @ 8:18am CDT
Welker has done more for voice acting than possibly any other voice actor. If you have the Futurama DVDs (and I am guessing most in this crowd do) you can listen to several commentaries by the cast of that show and their incredible respect and awe for Welker. Whenever his work comes up in that show, everyone agrees that it was a blessing to be able to work with such a legend.

Good to see that he is also a class act himself!
Re: Frank Welker Speaks Out (170022)
Posted by edcomics on June 18th, 2007 @ 8:22am CDT
Oh no, he said "self flaggelation!"
Re: Frank Welker Speaks Out (170023)
Posted by Flashback77 on June 18th, 2007 @ 8:23am CDT
I too am sad he's not in the movie....he's as much a class act as Cullen, and I'm happy that he's at least in the game. He will always be the one true Decepticon leader to me....in front of a long line of pretenders and also-rans.
Re: Frank Welker Speaks Out (170027)
Posted by edcomics on June 18th, 2007 @ 8:30am CDT
I like the little YouTube clip with the audio from the 80's movie. Welker's voice fits PERFECTLY. Hiring Weaving was just a move to get more well-know actors into the movie. They're trying to pull in the different crowds by featuring everyone from Bernie Mac to Hugo Weaving. With the latter, maybe they think they're somehow going to attract the V for Vendetta crowd. I don't know. In the end, though, it's just sad they didn't go with Welker. I'm not swinging a sword and calling for blood, here. I just think the voice is perfect and Hugo Weaving doesn't need another X-number million dollars to take over a role someone else made popular. As many people have said, it's nice Welker got the game role, but what does that say about Weaving? Was he not willing to contribute?
Re: Frank Welker Speaks Out (170034)
Posted by npk on June 18th, 2007 @ 8:40am CDT
I didn't realize Welker had done so many characters, but I still hate his Megatron.
Re: Frank Welker Speaks Out (170063)
Posted by Burn on June 18th, 2007 @ 9:08am CDT
RichGarner wrote:Welker has done more for voice acting than possibly any other voice actor.

Except Mel Brooks.
Re: Frank Welker Speaks Out (170070)
Posted by timshinn73 on June 18th, 2007 @ 9:15am CDT
Burn wrote:

Except Mel Brooks.

Mel Blanc
Re: Frank Welker Speaks Out (170073)
Posted by Shinju-chan on June 18th, 2007 @ 9:17am CDT
I too was surprised to learn that Welker was not chosen for the movie in the end, but then one I saw the deformed construction they had planned for the movie Megatron I wasn't really all that upset any longer. I honestly think I'm more interested in the video game XD.

It's great to hear Welker defend this with such passion. ;)^
Re: Frank Welker Speaks Out (170086)
Posted by Seibertron on June 18th, 2007 @ 9:38am CDT

Re: Frank Welker Speaks Out (170096)
Posted by reanimate28 on June 18th, 2007 @ 9:59am CDT
Seibertron wrote:His comments make me feel sad. I had really wanted him to reprise his Megatron role. I wasn't horribly disappointed in the use of Hugo Weaving but I think they made a big mistake by doing that. Heck, they're not even really promoting Weaving's role in the movie so I don't understand the decision.

yeah no doubt, i have seen a million adverts saying voice legend Cullen but nothing saying amazing actor hugo weaving.... Hugo is cool and all but I really wanted to see well I mean hear Welker as Megatron. In fact thats the only reason I am buying the video game just to hear his megatron again. Welker is the megaman and always will be. and dont go thinking I am some old G1 dude complainin about things I am only 21 and even I know Welker was the best Megatron ever.
Re: Frank Welker Speaks Out (170101)
Posted by Uncrazzimatic on June 18th, 2007 @ 10:08am CDT
Eh, I wanted Welker or even Dvid Kaye but if Megs has that few lines it would be a waste of their time. At least he got the part for the game, some people know talent when they hear it. :D
Re: Frank Welker Speaks Out (170128)
Posted by metalformer on June 18th, 2007 @ 10:40am CDT
I may not know how "realistic" a voice has to be to made it into a live movie and frankly, I don't care! For me Welker's voice sound as good as any other voice! >_<
Re: Frank Welker Speaks Out (170131)
Posted by skywarp-2 on June 18th, 2007 @ 10:42am CDT
Burn wrote:

Except Mel Brooks.

Yes but Welker is the only man that can sign off his e-mails publicly with Megatron leader of the Decepticons.. and be completely unchallenged!!!

Welker and Cullen on the game itself, laughing and funny...Note: This may have already been noted as news..

Burn, your Darn Sig is freaking Distracting!!!!!
Re: Frank Welker Speaks Out (170144)
Posted by Danish-Liokaiser on June 18th, 2007 @ 10:52am CDT
Poor Welker :S ... Omg how could Bay chose Agent Smith instead of Frank? ... oh my

Buy "Transformers Studio Series 06 Voyager Class Movie 1 Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Terri-Bull" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #270 - An Ox, a Seagull and a Monster
"An Ox, a Seagull and a Monster"
Posted: Sunday, February 14th, 2021

Buy "transformers combiner wars blackjack" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Takara Legends LG-30 Weirdwolf" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Universe 2.0 BLADES Generations Classics Voyager Class blades Parts" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS BOT SHOTS JUMP SHOT BUMBLEBEE, Bot Shots 2013" on EBAY
Buy "????Transformers Generations Deluxe Thrilling 30 Autobot Skids w/ IDW comic MOSC????" on EBAY
Buy "Perceptor Transformers Super 7 reaction figure" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers 3 Dark of The Moon Movie Cyberverse Legion Class Topspin Figure" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers 2014 DECEPTICON THUNDERCRACKER FIGURE Loose Combiner Wars Legends" on EBAY