Fun Publications Issues Apology and Statement Regarding Recent Security Issues

Fun Publications Issues Apology and Statement Regarding Recent Security Issues

Friday, February 24th, 2012 5:26pm CST

Category: Collector's Club News
Posted by: El Duque   Views: 30,416

Earlier this month, Seibertron.com was the first Transformers fansite to warn it's members to be on the look out for suspicious credit card activity after several Energon Pub and Staff members were hit with fraudulent charges shortly after placing orders for TFCC 2012 exclusives Over-Run and Shattered Glass Drift. After weeks of analysis Fun Publications, the parent company of TFCC, has determined there is a security issue with their e-commerce system. They have issued the following apology and statement/e-mail to all members:

This is going out to all members:

Fun Publications wants to take this opportunity to apologize to all of our members.

After many days of analysis, Fun Publications has determined that there is a security issue with our e-commerce systems. We appreciate all of you who have sent in your details. Your help has allowed us to ferret out several different patterns of fraudulent charges that have appeared on some members' cards (any that have been used over the last year with both the club store and our event registration system).

We have several different internet/networking companies looking into the matter. Unfortunately, as of yet, we have not been able to identify any forcible entry either into our internet service provider's servers or network. This is like chasing a ghost through the wires, as unfortunately, the perpetrator did not leave a trail, foot prints or finger prints.

For those of you who have been affected, we apologize for all of your time this has wasted and any inconvenience it has caused you. We understand your frustration as this same type of fraud has happened to everyone in our office on our personal credit cards at some point in the past. Our merchant services provider wants us to remind everyone that even though this can be a huge annoyance for you, the customer, your issuing bank will not hold you responsible for any fraudulent charges that might be placed on your card(s).

We know that this issue has been a huge topic of discussion on all of the boards for the past few weeks. However, we are required to investigate to determine and confirm a security issue thoroughly before making any public statements. This is why we put out a general alert statement two weeks ago.

Until the analysis is finished (can take several weeks) we don't know if the shut down by our former (Jan 31st) e-commerce provider caused the security issue or not. We do know that it has not been limited to those who have purchased before the change to our new provider.

Please, watch your cards closely as this type of security issue appears to be on the increase across the net. No site is 100% safe. You may want to consider having any cards you have used with Fun Publications in the last year replaced.

At this time, we do not know how long our e-commerce site will be offline for both the store and registrations. We will get back to you once we have a solution for this security issue.

Thanks for your support - Brian

Credit(s): Fun Publications

This article was last modified on Friday, February 24th, 2012 5:57pm CST

Re: Fun Publications Issues Apology and Statement Regarding Recent Security Issues (1351331)
Posted by Banjo-Tron on February 24th, 2012 @ 5:31pm CST
oops #-o
Re: Fun Publications Issues Apology and Statement Regarding Recent Security Issues (1351340)
Posted by NebulanFree on February 24th, 2012 @ 5:44pm CST
"Sorry about your luck to those who got screwed, but after weeks of super-sleuthing, we at FunPubs still have no clue about any of this mess. It might not even have anything to do with us. Our solution is to shut down completely. See you at BotCon!"

:APPLAUSE:
Re: Fun Publications Issues Apology and Statement Regarding Recent Security Issues (1351347)
Posted by Mkall on February 24th, 2012 @ 5:53pm CST
Thank you for the response. It's precisely what I was hoping, and expecting to see on all this.

NebulanFree wrote:"Sorry about your luck to those who got screwed, but after weeks of super-sleuthing, we at FunPubs still have no clue about any of this mess.

Welcome to the world of cybercrime. More often than not the perp gets away.
Re: Fun Publications Issues Apology and Statement Regarding Recent Security Issues (1351374)
Posted by bionic_radical on February 24th, 2012 @ 7:14pm CST
Thaaaat pretty much CEMENTS Swindle into the Hall of Fame this year.
Re: Fun Publications Issues Apology and Statement Regarding Recent Security Issues (1351376)
Posted by Stormrider on February 24th, 2012 @ 7:15pm CST
It's cool to send out a statement so folks know what to expect.
Re: Fun Publications Issues Apology and Statement Regarding Recent Security Issues (1351381)
Posted by G1 Legacy on February 24th, 2012 @ 7:41pm CST

OK sooo, I need some advice guys (and gals): I was planning to get a TFCC membership this past month to get the Runamuck figure, but all this Credit Card ID theft stuff has REALLY scared the hell out of me, so I backed off to silently watch how all of this was gonna play out. With Botcon fast approaching I don't have time to deal with the hassle that would come along with having to re-set a card number etc. But I already missed out on the "Over-Run" pre-order figure and have been reduced to having to get it on the secondary market...I really don't wanna have to do that again with Runamuck so I'm having this internal struggle on whether or not to go ahead and risk joining TFCC, I mean isn't March 15 the deadline for the Runamuck figure? I don't know if I should risk it. Oh why oh why can't they just take Paypal? LOL

Thanks in advance gang!
:BOT:
Re: Fun Publications Issues Apology and Statement Regarding Recent Security Issues (1351384)
Posted by LiKwid on February 24th, 2012 @ 7:48pm CST
Hmmm..I think im gonna save my opinion and take the higher road and say..Thanks fun pub..

*moderate sarcasm... :BANG_HEAD:
Re: Fun Publications Issues Apology and Statement Regarding Recent Security Issues (1351385)
Posted by AutobotCliffjumper on February 24th, 2012 @ 7:51pm CST
Looking forward to seeing, "We are sorry and for your trouble, we would like to send each one of you an TFCC exclusive Swindle-d!" lol
Re: Fun Publications Issues Apology and Statement Regarding Recent Security Issues (1351396)
Posted by GetRightRobot on February 24th, 2012 @ 8:19pm CST
H O L Y S H * T

I can't believe it. Thank you. Thank you for being a stand up company and accepting responsibilities. And to do it on your volition. Without any outcry from innocent consumers or nothin! :APPLAUSE:
Re: Fun Publications Issues Apology and Statement Regarding Recent Security Issues (1351414)
Posted by Burn on February 24th, 2012 @ 9:17pm CST
G1 Legacy wrote:This seems like a typical P.R. spiel, all words and no real solution. But hey, atleast their owning up to it at this point instead of seemingly keeping their heads buried in the sand.

Thanks in advance gang!
:BOT:

Same boat. I went out and got a pre-paid credit card. They can only take whatever money is on it and I plan to only put on enough to cover expenses. So if it were to get hit they wouldn't get anything.
Re: Fun Publications Issues Apology and Statement Regarding Recent Security Issues (1351424)
Posted by Rated X on February 24th, 2012 @ 9:41pm CST

Thanks in advance gang!
:BOT:

Call the Funpub phone number and ask Angie if you can send a money order. Is she says yes, send it pronto. If she says no, youre outta gas buddy. If you are that paranoid, maybe you should just buy Runamuck on the secondary market and have peace of mind. Whats better, spending $100 on a figure or having $1000 worth of credit fraud ? Not trying to be harsh, but it's a no brainer.
Re: Fun Publications Issues Apology and Statement Regarding Recent Security Issues (1351425)
Posted by Kibble on February 24th, 2012 @ 9:43pm CST
Burn wrote:

Thanks in advance gang!
:BOT:

You could do that or it sounds like Paypal offers a similar deal where they offer a 'credit card' off your paypal account that you feed it money or something. I haven't looked too much into it, but I probably will in the not too distant future.
Re: Fun Publications Issues Apology and Statement Regarding Recent Security Issues (1351440)
Posted by G1 Legacy on February 24th, 2012 @ 10:16pm CST
Rated-X Wrote:

Oh, I totally agree. There was even a guy on ebay that was selling both togetheir in the box set, but he was still mailing them seperatly as they would be released, which left me thinking I would be a fool not to atleast look into getting the runamuck at cost first and then opting for the 'ol screwgie if that didn't work. LOL I guess what I was trying to ask was, is there anyone who is more familiar with this situation or has their ear along the track/rail that might be able to say one way or the other if they thought TFCC is safe to deal with now...and the answer I'm getting from everyones mood seems to be NAY. But I trust your input "X". No "counterpunch" required here.

Burn wrote:
Same boat. I went out and got a pre-paid credit card.

Kibble wrote:

I think this or a pre-paid card in general is a great idea. And is probobly the way I'll go next week. I think I can pick one up at Wal-Mart (even though I try to go there as little as possible). Thanks again for everyone's input.

Anyway, I hope TFCC can get this resolved to everyones satisfaction soon.
Re: Fun Publications Issues Apology and Statement Regarding Recent Security Issues (1351447)
Posted by autobot_goldbug on February 24th, 2012 @ 10:42pm CST
I heard right now they can't process any credit cards.

Anyway a virtual credit card would be a good option.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 01679.html
Paypal isn't any safer.
Re: Fun Publications Issues Apology and Statement Regarding Recent Security Issues (1351456)
Posted by Megatron Wolf on February 24th, 2012 @ 11:08pm CST
why dont they just say "sorry you guys got screwed over we're looking into it and good luck fixing your cards" instead of dishing out the same PR bullshit everyone else does
Re: Fun Publications Issues Apology and Statement Regarding Recent Security Issues (1351482)
Posted by metaphorge on February 25th, 2012 @ 12:37am CST
I'm hoping that this is fixed before the renew-to-get-Runamuck deadline passes, or if not they extend the deadline. It wuld suck for people to miss the free figure because of someone else's weak security.
Re: Fun Publications Issues Apology and Statement Regarding Recent Security Issues (1351544)
Posted by Primacron's Little Helper on February 25th, 2012 @ 8:11am CST
About a week after I bought Over-Run I got a phone call from my bank saying that there had been some suspicious activity on my account, luckily they declined it but someone had tried to use my account to buy something from Yahoo.

I got a new card no problems so props to my bank, they were on the ball. Imagine if this was a major retailer or an airline perhaps, they'd be a laughing stock.
Re: Fun Publications Issues Apology and Statement Regarding Recent Security Issues (1351670)
Posted by Bed Bugs on February 25th, 2012 @ 1:59pm CST
I've avoided the fraud bullet on this current fiasco so far....(was hit with TFSource when that happened).

I have been checking my credit card daily, just in case.

I'm very annoyed and kind of disappointed a little that I won't be at Botcon. Would be quite entertaining to see the rage that shows up in person, or if the majority of collectors only talk tough online.

Regardless, I look forward to hearing about the Club Roundtable and how that goes. Would be nice if they web-casted it on behalf of "Club Members" rather than Botcon Attendees to discuss the current problems with the Club.
Re: Fun Publications Issues Apology and Statement Regarding Recent Security Issues (1351835)
Posted by ae_productions on February 25th, 2012 @ 10:06pm CST
I just got hit last night.

I only used my card to sign up to TFCC (my first and probably last time) to get Rumamuck and Runabout.

Tried to use my card today and there was a TON of charges from "google". My card is frozen until I get a new one (2 - 4 weeks) and I have to wait for the funds to clear from the fraudulent charges before I can dispute them (2 - 5 business days).

Many of my pals who ordered the exclusive figures have gotten theirs. So far I have not gotten anything. (Except for a frozen cc and a bunch of unauthorized charges). I hope at least get my two figures out of this. It would really piss me off if they messed up on my order and I get nothing but the stolen ID from it.

Color me not very impressed with this whole mess.
Re: Fun Publications Issues Apology and Statement Regarding Recent Security Issues (1351934)
Posted by harrogatebantam31 on February 26th, 2012 @ 7:06am CST
My old card got hit, sounds like it was due to renewing my membership. Got a new card.

Purchased over-run before the system crashed. Then got hit again on my new card.

Recieved a call from by bank on Friday asking if I'd bought $415.00 worth of tyres in the US, along with payment to a kareoke firm in New Jersey?!

Second time in 3 months I've been hit, I certainly won't be buying anything else or renewing my membership until they can confirm they have sorted the issue, or offer a method such as PayPal as an alternative.

Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Bania Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 07 Leader Class Movie 4 Grimlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Clobber" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Swindle" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Crashbash" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Voyager Class Roadbuster Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #278 - The Return of Rodimus Prime
"The Return of Rodimus Prime"
Posted: Sunday, June 13th, 2021

Buy "Transformers Generations Thundercracker - Canadian Packaging, Sealed" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Thundercracker - Canadian Packaging, Sealed #2" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Thrilling 30 Armada Starscream - deluxe" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generation 1 3-D Jigsaw Stand Up Puzzle Warren Ultra Magnus 1986" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations 30th Anniversary Thrilling 30 Armada Starscream" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS GENERATIONS THRILLING 30 FALL OF CYBERTRON SKYWARP" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers - Generations Select - Voyager Class - Decepticon Sandstorm" on EBAY