Hasbro's 3rd Quarter Profit Rises 8.8 Percent

Hasbro's 3rd Quarter Profit Rises 8.8 Percent

Monday, October 19th, 2009 6:32am CDT

Categories: Toy News, Company News, Digital Media News
Posted by: DevastaTTor   Views: 16,469

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

US Toy Manufacturer Hasbro saw a boost in their Q3 profits in part from sales of Transformers and GI Joe figures in support of the films. See the following article from the Associated Press for the complete details:

NEW YORK (AP) -- Hasbro Inc, the nation's second biggest toymaker, said Monday its profit rose 8.8 percent in the third quarter, helped by lower costs and slightly higher sales of Transformers and G.I. Joe toys.

Hasbro said its earnings rose to $150.4 million, or 99 cents per share, for the three months ended Sept. 27, up from $138.2 million, or 89 cents a share, a year ago.

The latest results top the average analyst estimate of 93 cents a share, as measured by a survey by Thomson Reuters.

The Pawtucket, R.I.-based company said its joint venture with Discovery Communications hurt earnings per share by 3 cents.

Revenue fell 1.7 percent to $1.28 billion from $1.20 billion a year ago and missing analysts' estimates of $1.32 billion.

Hasbro said North American sales reflect stronger sales of toys for boys, but revenue was weighed down by weakness in girls, preschool and the games and puzzles categories.

Last week, the nation's biggest toymaker, Mattel Inc., reported a profit decline of 3.5 percent as sales fell 8 percent. Mattel makes Hot Wheels and American Girl dolls.


To see the online article, click HERE

Credit(s): Hasbro, AP


News Search

Got Transformers News? Let us know here!

Re: Hasbro's 3rd Quarter Profit Rises 8.8 Percent (1011032)
Posted by alternator77 on October 19th, 2009 @ 8:49am CDT
well when youre asking 45$ for a leader and 13$ for a deluxe then charge the same for figures that DONT TRANSFORM!! of course youll make a profit.

not to mention a gestalt that doesnt have indivual bot modes and yet you charge 100 bucks.
heres a tip hastak get rid of the lights and sounds and focus on the details,look at the masterpiece, binaltech, and alternity lines no electronics,no lights and yet stunning detail.

dont mean to sound angry but im more about quality and detail than gimmicks and yes i know these toys are mainly marketed for kids but theres a reason the stores in my area haveabout 20 of each and every figure.
Re: Hasbro's 3rd Quarter Profit Rises 8.8 Percent (1011046)
Posted by rpetras on October 19th, 2009 @ 10:28am CDT
I'm curious, what was the venture with Discovery Communications?

That wasn't the new TF series was it?
Re: Hasbro's 3rd Quarter Profit Rises 8.8 Percent (1011072)
Posted by DevastaTTor on October 19th, 2009 @ 12:07pm CDT
rpetras wrote:I'm curious, what was the venture with Discovery Communications?

It's the new TV channel they're partnering to develop.
Re: Hasbro's 3rd Quarter Profit Rises 8.8 Percent (1011091)
Posted by Swiftknife24 on October 19th, 2009 @ 12:54pm CDT
Well done, Hasbro; at this rate you'll swipe the smug smile from Mattel in no time.

In the meanwhile, how about using those profits to create new and better designed Transformers? (Instead of the countless repaints/remoulds)

Here's an idea for a starter; stop designating certain products to certain countries (like 'Buster' Prime and the EZ Devastator). Whatever happened to equality?
Re: Hasbro's 3rd Quarter Profit Rises 8.8 Percent (1011115)
Posted by Hard Hacker on October 19th, 2009 @ 2:16pm CDT
Swiftknife24 wrote:Well done, Hasbro; at this rate you'll swipe the smug smile from Mattel in no time.

In the meanwhile, how about using those profits to create new and better designed Transformers? (Instead of the countless repaints/remoulds)

Here's an idea for a starter; stop designating certain products to certain countries (like 'Buster' Prime and the EZ Devastator). Whatever happened to equality?



1: They do try to create new moulds. There is a set BUDGET for each line, so the amount of new moulds are finite. That's why Energon's -Maximus toys have 2 Basic moulds and a Delux torso mould.

2: Buster Prime is entirely Takara's thing. Hasbro are merely business partners with Takara (While still controling the overall direction of the franchise).

And before you call BS on me: http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Misconceptions_and_urban_legends_about_Transformers
Re: Hasbro's 3rd Quarter Profit Rises 8.8 Percent (1011189)
Posted by Rated X on October 19th, 2009 @ 3:56pm CDT
Im gonna keep it simple...The more you give to the public, the more it pays in return. Japanese companies take notes and learn the recipie for success. :D
Re: Hasbro's 3rd Quarter Profit Rises 8.8 Percent (1011212)
Posted by First-Aid on October 19th, 2009 @ 5:06pm CDT
alternator77 wrote:not to mention a gestalt that doesnt have indivual bot modes and yet you charge 100 bucks.
heres a tip hastak get rid of the lights and sounds and focus on the details,look at the masterpiece, binaltech, and alternity lines no electronics,no lights and yet stunning detail.

dont mean to sound angry but im more about quality and detail than gimmicks and yes i know these toys are mainly marketed for kids but theres a reason the stores in my area haveabout 20 of each and every figure.


The problem there is most kids don't give a rats ass about quality or details...they just want to play. They WANT the gimmicks. And honestly most don't care that the gestalt has no individual robot mode- it's really only the collectors who are making a major fuss about that. Look at the most popular toys now- they are the ones with gimmicks. In a way you can blame Transformers for that because they really were the first toys to have a gimmick with their shapeshifting. It's all built from there. The weird thing is that TF's have actually lagged behind when it comes to electronics...in my opinion this is largely to do with the space requirements for such devices and the lack of space in TFs due to the moving parts.

And the reason your stores have 20 of each figure is because that's what is available at the warehouse. Think about how the stores buy their figures (by the case...in some cases, by the hundreds of cases). They just put out what they happen to have at the time and most of the time it's duplicates. They really don't care about selection. They want the shelves full. So really it's Wal-Mart and Target we can blame for the duplicate figs because that's what they bought.
Re: Hasbro's 3rd Quarter Profit Rises 8.8 Percent (1011264)
Posted by Blurrz on October 19th, 2009 @ 6:59pm CDT
You, me, and the common mature Transformers fan is not Hasbro's target audience. Obviously their target is kids, and Hasbro doesn't really gives a rat ass about Quality Control.
Re: Hasbro's 3rd Quarter Profit Rises 8.8 Percent (1011455)
Posted by Swiftknife24 on October 20th, 2009 @ 11:56am CDT
Hard Hacker wrote:
Swiftknife24 wrote:Well done, Hasbro; at this rate you'll swipe the smug smile from Mattel in no time.

In the meanwhile, how about using those profits to create new and better designed Transformers? (Instead of the countless repaints/remoulds)

Here's an idea for a starter; stop designating certain products to certain countries (like 'Buster' Prime and the EZ Devastator). Whatever happened to equality?



1: They do try to create new moulds. There is a set BUDGET for each line, so the amount of new moulds are finite. That's why Energon's -Maximus toys have 2 Basic moulds and a Delux torso mould.

2: Buster Prime is entirely Takara's thing. Hasbro are merely business partners with Takara (While still controling the overall direction of the franchise).

And before you call BS on me: http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Misconceptions_and_urban_legends_about_Transformers


1: I imagine there would be...I'm just saying they could use the money for the re-issues for new molds. (Yes, I know it's cheaper to re-issue)

2: They still have exactly the same products and means of producing them...There's absolutely no reason why that Prime can't be released in the West.
Re: Hasbro's 3rd Quarter Profit Rises 8.8 Percent (1011523)
Posted by Jelze Bunnycat on October 20th, 2009 @ 2:23pm CDT
Swiftknife24 wrote:2: They still have exactly the same products and means of producing them...There's absolutely no reason why that Prime can't be released in the West.


Who says there isn't? There's an Optimus Prime repaint coming up, which may very well be Buster. And Hasbro does plan on getting EZ Devastator over here. It's just that the mod and figures are (probably) done outside of Hasbro. Remember, TakaraTomy owns the brand proper and handles the figure production, while Hasbro (the licensee) does the design work for the US.

That aside, the budget is dependent not just on how much is available, but also on how much the expected profit is, thus how much they're willing to risk. The risk here is overproducing to the point the production costs are greater than the earnings, thus making a loss, which Hasbro wants to avoid.

Besides, the total budget is split in two years per line, the total netto profit per line would go over to other toy lines, including Transformers.
Re: Hasbro's 3rd Quarter Profit Rises 8.8 Percent (1011620)
Posted by Jacob P. Galvatron on October 20th, 2009 @ 6:34pm CDT
And now, hopefully, prices will drop soon.

Featured Products on Amazon.com

Buy "Transformers Deluxe Ratchet Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Terrorcon Rippersnapper" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Terrorcon Hun-Gurrr" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Twin Twist and Flameout" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Slug" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Evolution Nemesis Prime (Amazon Exclusive)" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Toys Megatron Cyberverse Ultimate Class Action Figure - Repeatable Fusion Mega Shot Action Attack Move - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 11.5-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Windblade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Superion Collection Pack" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Leader Class Starscream Figure Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Legends Class Brawn" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Siege on Cybertron 5-Figure Pack" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #273 - Our Way to Oblivion
Twincast / Podcast #273:
"Our Way to Oblivion"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Tuesday, April 6th, 2021

New Items on eBay

Buy "Transformers 2014 Age of Extinction Deluxe Class Drift Flip & Change." on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Dark of the Moon Cyberverse Battle Steel Optimus Prime!!" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Movie Age Of Extinction Optimus Prime Voyager Class Evasion Mode " on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Bumblebee Cyberverse Adventures Warrior Stealth Force Hot Rod" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Original G1 1985 Whirl Box Only" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Platinum Edition Seeker Set Elite - Asia Exclusive MISB" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Platinum Edition OPTIMUS PRIME Year Of The Rooster Gift Figure New" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Kre-O Kreo G1 Slipstrike Slipstream Kreon Micro Changers" on EBAY