Wednesday, June 1st, 2016 12:52pm CDT

Categories: Comic Book News, Press Releases, Company News, Digital Media News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 32,814

We've had a lot of build-up to this official reveal from IDW Publishing about their HAsbro properties, from August solicitations for Transformers, to the Hasbro Allspark Studios writers' rooms - but it looks like everything will be coming together in a gigantic crossover, including the three ongoings: Till All Are One, More Than Meets the Eye and The Transformers! Read more on REVOLUTION below, and let us know what you think in the Energon Pub!

Transformers News: IDW Hasbro Comics Crossover: Revolution - MASK, Transformers, Action Man, Micronauts, ROM, GI Joe

The Revolution Is Here
IDW Merges Their Iconic Hasbro Comics in an Epic Crossover Event

San Diego, CA (June 1, 2016) – IDW Publishing has unveiled its most ambitious comic book publishing venture in its history revolving around its fan-favorite titles based on Hasbro properties.

The “Revolution” event marks the birth of a comic book crossover that will be comprised of not only the TRANSFORMERS and G.I. JOE properties, but also all-new properties MICRONAUTS, ROM, and ACTION MAN, as well as the launch of a long-awaited M.A.S.K.: Mobile Armored Strike Kommand series.

This is not a reboot—rather, the Revolution series takes many of the building blocks of what has come before from IDW and builds on them anew, bringing all these elements together in an epic event that results in an all-new status quo for all involved. Everything fans have enjoyed up to this point remains intact as part of this ongoing continuity. The ramifications of Revolution will extend well beyond the event, as all of these iconic characters will henceforth exist in the same universe, altering the scope of IDW editorial in all the Hasbro series from this moment onward.

Revolution, the bi-weekly five-issue event series that launches this initiative, will be co-written by Cullen Bunn (MICRONAUTS) and John Barber (TRANSFORMERS) with art by Fico Ossio (MICRONAUTS). The event kicks off with a world-shaking threat that brings all opposing factions together in a storyline that just might see the destruction of the universe before it can truly begin!

All aforementioned titles will tie-in to the event with a bevy of talent on board including:

ROM
Co-written by Chris Ryall (Onyx), Christos Gage (Marvel’s Daredevil)
Art by David Messina (Star Trek)

G.I. Joe
Written by Aubrey Sitterson (Street Fighter X G.I. JOE)
Art by Giannis Milonogiannis (Prophet)

Transformers: Till All Are One
Written by Mairghread Scott (Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, TRANSFORMERS)
Art by Naoto Tsushima (TRANSFORMERS)

Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye
Written by James Roberts (TRANSFORMERS)
Art by Alex Milne (TRANSFORMERS)

Transformers
Written by John Barber (Back to the Future)
Art by Andrew Griffith (TRANSFORMERS)

M.A.S.K.
Written by Brandon Easton (Marvel’s Agent Carter, TRANSFORMERS: Deviations)
Art by Tony Vargas (Rot & Ruin)

Action Man
Written by John Barber (TRANSFORMERS)
Art by Paolo Villanelli (G.I. JOE: SNAKE EYES)

Micronauts
Written by Cullen Bunn (Uncanny X-Men)
Art by Chris Panda

And many more!

“The Revolution series builds out of a detail that was introduced in IDW’s first-ever issue of TRANSFORMERS in 2005,” said IDW’s Chief Creative Officer, Chris Ryall. “So to finally be able to build upon the various story elements we’ve seeded over the years, and which come into play in a big way starting with July’s ROM #1 even before the launch of Revolution, is a blast. We’ve been working toward a full-fledged universe for some time and it’s great fun to be able to finally bring it to vivid life, especially since it allows us to give the world new titles like the very-requested M.A.S.K., as well as some exciting new books still to be announced.”

“We’ve done plenty of crossovers in the past,” said Michael Kelly, Head of Global Publishing at Hasbro, “but nothing near this scope or scale. Our heroes, whether they are from Earth or from distant reaches of the galaxy, all have one thing in common: their powers and abilities are based primarily on technology. We have been able to use this fact to build a natural and believable link between all of these disparate characters. The result is a complex and dynamic world where all manner of conflicts and team-ups can and will exist. If you are a fan of Hasbro’s brands, your time is now.”

As Revolution rolls out, each associated series will receive its own “Revolution” one-shot that ties in to the main event. Revolution will feature an array of variant covers with stunning cover art by Brandon Peterson, Tradd Moore, John Byrne, James Biggie, Adam Riches, Guido Guidi, Ken Christensen, Art Baltazar, and more.

Nothing will be the same after the Revolution erupts this September with issues 1 & 2 plus one-shot tie-ins (G.I. JOE, MICRONAUTS, ROM) all available to order together. Take a stand!

Credit(s): IDW

Re: IDW Hasbro Comics Crossover: Revolution - MASK, Transformers, Action Man, Micronauts, ROM, GI Joe (1794209)
Posted by Ironhidensh on June 1st, 2016 @ 1:10pm CDT
That art work makes me excited. In my pants. Don't judge me.
Re: IDW Hasbro Comics Crossover: Revolution - MASK, Transformers, Action Man, Micronauts, ROM, GI Joe (1794210)
Posted by NurseRatchet on June 1st, 2016 @ 1:16pm CDT
So many different scales. :HEADHURTS:
Re: IDW Hasbro Comics Crossover: Revolution - MASK, Transformers, Action Man, Micronauts, ROM, GI Joe (1794214)
Posted by Va'al on June 1st, 2016 @ 1:29pm CDT
Courtesy of Entertainment Weekly, we have some more information on the IDW Publishing crossover event REVOLUTION, featuring all the Hasbro licensed series and restarting the comics numbering at #1 for the books involved. Chris Ryall answered some of the questions, which you can read in full here, and a snippet below.

We've also included a compilation of tweets from Ryall and John Barber, to help navigate this big change in the IDWverse. So fear not, and keep reading!

But IDW editor-in-chief Chris Ryall insists this isn’t a reboot.

“We didn’t want this to be what fans have seen from so many others, which is a reboot or a relaunch where you’re asked to forget about all these characters and stories you’ve been following for years,” Ryall says. “It’s just now everybody will be acknowledging each other in a much greater way than ever before.”

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: How did this whole thing come about?
CHRIS RYALL: It happened in a stealthy way. When I was bringing back ROM, the co-writer Christos Gage and I were talking about a nice way to make something big and impactful happen in that issue. So at the end of the issue there’s a big reveal that shows ROM might be a part of a larger universe than fans expected at the start. We were going to stealthily seed things along the way, so that fans would think these guys might exist in ROM’s world and then, in talking about it internally, it just made sense, now that we’re launching Micronauts and ROM, and we’ve already got G.I. Joe and Transformers, and were looking to do M.A.S.K. All these things should exist together. That’s what fans want to see.

When we first launched G.I. Joe, fans asked us, “Are they gonna meet the Transformers?” And every time we’ve added a Hasbro title since then, it’s been the same question. Are the Micronauts gonna meet the Transformers? Is ROM gonna meet the Micronauts?

[...]

What will the event involve?
Revolution is its own thing. It’s a five-part biweekly series that we’re launching in September, and that series will detail the reasons why these characters are all drawn together. It centers around something called Ore 13, which is an unstable version of Energon, the material that gives the Transformers their power and life. There’s a version of that on earth, that has an adverse effect on tech, which adversely affects ROM, and changes the status of him and his villains, the Dire Wraiths. It affects the Micronauts universe in a way they didn’t expect, and then it also gives birth to M.A.S.K., which is a big new title we’re launching out of this.

So that series details the reason for all these characters to be drawn together. Then all the series will be relaunched with new number ones and this new status quo. The plan is to have the characters go back to occupying their own spaces. I don’t want G.I. Joe or Transformers fans to feel like they have to buy every issue of everything we publish now just to get the whole story. If they do, certainly that’s a nice outcome, but I still want them to read a Transformers book and have it feel like a Transformers book. It’s just, now within that universe, ROM is somewhere in the background and may be drawn back in at some point.

Barber:

I'm very excited about Revolution, and it's absolutely not going to scale anything back from what's happened in any Transformers comics.

Revolution will get these comics where I think they always should have been, and since I like where they are already...

...I don't think we'll be losing anything we already like.

Oh--important note, the list of creative teams in the press release is for the Revolution tie-in stories.

Just to make clear--post Revolution, @SaraLePew and @Max_Dunbar will still be there!

Ryall:

How do the other Transformers books play in (MTMTE, TAAO), renumbered? ending? untouched?

We'll get into more specifics soon but some will end and restart differently; TAAO will keep rolling as is.

It won't affect Titan Wars. We've been threading this needle very carefully for some time know, building to this.

MTMTE untouched?

Rather, you can assume that any involvement will make sense to that series and not change what James has built.

OK now I'm panicking. Restarting MTMTE is just about the craziest thing to do to a book with such a hardcore fandom.

I understand the trepidation but we're not abandoning plans, characters or stories. Just moving things forward.

Not a reboot in any way, shape or form, actually. All the stories you read here before still happened.

We'll get into new-title specifics & teams before long. If you like the way things are, you'll be happy. Only moreso

@chris_ryall How will the IDW GI Joe continuity be reconciled with All Hail Megatron's global invasion that killed 15% of all humans?

It will be addressed. We're not scrapping things.

Please wait and see. It makes sense. And everything is always changing, just changing in the right ways here.

Not TAAO [renumbering]. We'll get into specific post-event plans before long. Never a good plan to reveal everything all at once.

I understand people don't want to lose what they like, I get that. But yes, the comic itself will put fears to rest.
Re: IDW Hasbro Comics Crossover: Revolution - MASK, Transformers, Action Man, Micronauts, ROM, GI Joe (1794219)
Posted by Randomhero on June 1st, 2016 @ 1:53pm CDT
Wow a recent piece of art without Windblade.
Re: IDW Hasbro Comics Crossover: Revolution - MASK, Transformers, Action Man, Micronauts, ROM, GI Joe (1794220)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on June 1st, 2016 @ 1:57pm CDT
I'm more confused than concerned. IDW-verse with lots of stuff in it yes, ok, but renumbering and all that jazz that's been said here confuses me.

Just have to wait to see what happens, maybe even the September solics which will come out in the next few weeks :MAXIMAL:
Re: IDW Hasbro Comics Crossover: Revolution - MASK, Transformers, Action Man, Micronauts, ROM, GI Joe (1794223)
Posted by Railbomb on June 1st, 2016 @ 2:28pm CDT
Sooooooo... this may be the stupidest thing I've ever read. If it was going to be a parallel series running next to the main comics that would be fine. But it's not. What's going to happen to Till All Are One now? My biggest concern here is G.I. Joe. Haven't they been going on for just as long as the IDW Transformers has? Someone at Hasbro made a really bad decision.
Re: IDW Hasbro Comics Crossover: Revolution - MASK, Transformers, Action Man, Micronauts, ROM, GI Joe (1794226)
Posted by Va'al on June 1st, 2016 @ 2:31pm CDT

I'm tired enough from social media blowing up about this to have to go through it again on here.

Please. :(
Re: IDW Hasbro Comics Crossover: Revolution - MASK, Transformers, Action Man, Micronauts, ROM, GI Joe (1794232)
Posted by Big Grim on June 1st, 2016 @ 2:54pm CDT
Well, this should be interesting. Looking forward to MASK and seeing how this all comes together!
Re: IDW Hasbro Comics Crossover: Revolution - MASK, Transformers, Action Man, Micronauts, ROM, GI Joe (1794233)
Posted by Rodimus Knight on June 1st, 2016 @ 2:57pm CDT
I would be Really Impressed if they manged to work in My Little Pony and Littlest Pet Shop. :-D
Re: IDW Hasbro Comics Crossover: Revolution - MASK, Transformers, Action Man, Micronauts, ROM, GI Joe (1794234)
Posted by MrBlack on June 1st, 2016 @ 3:01pm CDT
It seems like it's a big crossover to acknowledge the shared universe, and then all the stories can go off in their own directions. I'd imagine certain comics (Ex-RID, G.I. Joe, M.A.S.K.) will be more closely tied together than others (MTMTE, Micronauts) once the crossover is done.

As for renumberings...mech. Both the current Transformers series are hitting the ends of major storylines with status quo changing events, so a relaunch with a new #1 makes sense from an industry standpoint. It sounds like it isn't going to have much of an effect on the main story of MTMTE, and it seems to flow organically into what's going on in Ex-RID.
Re: IDW Hasbro Comics Crossover: Revolution - MASK, Transformers, Action Man, Micronauts, ROM, GI Joe (1794239)
Posted by Counterpunch on June 1st, 2016 @ 3:32pm CDT

Well, the burden of proof is on the writers going forward and it is a sizable burden.

Show how this isn't some hackneyed marketing idea from the folks at Hasbro or sacrifice most of the social capital that has accrued over the years with the recent quality work in TF books.

A lot has been made out of how Hasbro has wisely allowed their comic medium to plot its own course. We questioned when the first marketing decisions started creeping in with the introduction of current toy characters into plots that would otherwise exclude them. We've questioned the effect of Combiner Wars and now Titan Wars as being possibly intrusive into the story.

Now there's a bigger question. Can these series withstand corporate/marketing interference on a whole other level?

I'm sure there's a great staff line response to that.

Re: IDW Hasbro Comics Crossover: Revolution - MASK, Transformers, Action Man, Micronauts, ROM, GI Joe (1794241)
Posted by Bumblevivisector on June 1st, 2016 @ 3:48pm CDT
I couldn't quite make sense out of all this either, and should reread, but first, I gotta' say it again:

WHERE THE %*^# IS INHUMANOIDS?!?!?!?
Re: IDW Hasbro Comics Crossover: Revolution - MASK, Transformers, Action Man, Micronauts, ROM, GI Joe (1794258)
Posted by RevTibe on June 1st, 2016 @ 5:02pm CDT
Huh. I find it hard to have an unbiased view of this, since I've been getting a bit tired of expanded/interwoven universes for a while (for example, I was really into the Fantastic Four 2002 soft reboot until it got sucked into the Civil War event). I feel as though crossovers work best as a self-contained entity (a la the current GI Joe vs. Transformers) or as a brief, forgettable encounter (which raises the question; "Why bother?").

Still, sounds like this will mostly fall on the "forgettable" side of things, and who knows - I might fall in love with Rom the Space Knight.
Re: IDW Hasbro Comics Crossover: Revolution - MASK, Transformers, Action Man, Micronauts, ROM, GI Joe (1794269)
Posted by ScottyP on June 1st, 2016 @ 6:33pm CDT
Counterpunch wrote:I feel like this is one of those things, were if I truly express my feelings on the matter, the annoyance, the frustration, the disappointment; I'll get taken to task for being short-sighted.
These were some of my gut feelings. Distilled into just one word, it was "dread", more specifically, it was really the fear of loss.

Counterpunch wrote:I suppose I'll just wait for the material and make up my own mind. If I'm wrong, I'll happily admit it. If the fears come to pass, someone should really be held to the fire for spoiling something great.
I think in a year's time we're going to mark down January 2012 - Sometime in the second half of 2016 as that One Perfect Summer for Transformers comics that just won't be recaptured anytime soon, and will never be duplicated. That said, I'm also going to try and keep an open mind here, and hope that the good stewardship of the brand that we've seen to date will continue. History isn't kind to Transformers in these types of situations though, so we'll have to see if this can buck the trend.

Onto some other things that are not replies to Counterpunch's excellent post. First, It'll be interesting to see how "Team MTMTE" gets shaken up (if at all), because exRID hasn't really been great for a year and Scott's stories just don't interest me. If they break up that band, there better be a damn good reason. Or hell, add Nick Roche to the team as a writer and sometimes artist and wait and see if I complain (I won't.)

A second point I wanted to bring up is my feelings towards bringing other brands in to a (currently) flourishing licensed comics property. I can't say I mind the stuff that's just really started up again like Micronauts, ROM, and even MASK being involved. A lot of circumstantial evidence in both the toyline, corporate press releases, and exRID have been pointing to that and these could be logical fits into this universe with only minimal backtracking from John "Continuity" Barber required. These could be neat if done right (stuff like Circuit Breaker or Death's Head in G1) and not as a one-off crossover brand circle jerk (Transformers vs The Avengers, most of Infestation).

Those franchises really don't bother me, not at all. I'm annoyed as hell that we have to bring GI Joe into this universe. It's like Hasbro dumped the rotting corpse of that franchise onto IDW.

I know that sounds harsh, but as someone that's never been able to admit to being much of a Joe fan, that's exactly what it looks like. I don't care about the characters, I don't care about the fiction, and I don't want them in what's been the "main" Transformers continuity for me for years. A lot of those characters are freaking attention magnets. Hope you're ready for four pages per twenty page book of Duke, Cobra Commander, Zartan, Baroness, Scarlet, Snake Eyes, and Roadblock and Destro and others if they're going to be any kind of fixture in this overall universe, because that's what you're gonna get. Gotta get Bumblebee back in to hang out with dumbshit GI Joe Paratrooper Steve or whoever other boring military guy character is even though he's super dead so we can have our A-Listers interacting and Protect the Brands :BANG_HEAD:

I don't blame IDW for that, it's just a shortsighted Hasbro mandate. If you're into GI Joe and excited for that, I think that's wonderful. That franchise just isn't for me and I think it would have been better left out to it's own pasture to survive or advance on its own.

Blegh, I got going on a rant and that probably mostly came out with a tone I didn't intend. Screw it, here's another way of putting it a bit shorter and wittier:

:MATTEL:
Re: IDW Hasbro Comics Crossover: Revolution - MASK, Transformers, Action Man, Micronauts, ROM, GI Joe (1794276)
Posted by Randomhero on June 1st, 2016 @ 7:03pm CDT
Dr Va'al wrote:Please, anyone confused, read the interview, read the posts, read the news, then come back.

Please. :(

Re: IDW Hasbro Comics Crossover: Revolution - MASK, Transformers, Action Man, Micronauts, ROM, GI Joe (1794280)
Posted by Seibertron on June 1st, 2016 @ 7:46pm CDT
I have a lot of thoughts about this, but first wanted to share this ground breaking image that I think sums up my thoughts best.

Re: IDW Hasbro Comics Crossover: Revolution - MASK, Transformers, Action Man, Micronauts, ROM, GI Joe (1794282)
Posted by Ironhidensh on June 1st, 2016 @ 7:59pm CDT
Now that my excitement over that sweet ass piece of art has faded, I've processed some more.

I have to say, I feel pretty much the same as Counterpunch and ScottyP. They both typed out their thoughts much better than I could this late at night.

Unless it's a complete reboot of the GI Joe serirs, it will never fir in with the current Transformers storyline. I can see M.A.S.K. working, but I simply don't know enough about Rom or micronaugjts to say either way on them.

Basically, yeah, I'll wait and see, but this feels too much like corporate interference, and that never ends well.
Re: IDW Hasbro Comics Crossover: Revolution - MASK, Transformers, Action Man, Micronauts, ROM, GI Joe (1794284)
Posted by Emerje on June 1st, 2016 @ 8:12pm CDT
Why is Soundwave look the size of a combiner in that art? :shock: He's bigger than most of the buildings, and way, way bigger than Optimus. Talk about a visual perspective nightmare. Also who is that bot in the back on the right? He definitely has TF:Prime Soundwave's head. An enormous not-so-stealthy Stealth B.A.T. I suppose?

Emerje
Re: IDW Hasbro Comics Crossover: Revolution - MASK, Transformers, Action Man, Micronauts, ROM, GI Joe (1794297)
Posted by misfire19d on June 1st, 2016 @ 9:01pm CDT
IMO IDW, under orders from Hasbro, is trying to create a universe with Hasbro properties much like the Marvel Universe.

I won't stick around to see if the IDW writers can fit a bunch of small square pegs into a giant round hole. Larry Hama, Nick Roche and Simon Furmon are the only three worth a damn anyway.

ROM was a great comic. The ending was perfect. I don't have the heart or the patience to see how IDW will butcher him.

Sales will spike with the release of a bunch of #1's as always but will tank shortly after.

People freaking out about the "inevitable future" is just delicious irony to me.
Re: IDW Hasbro Comics Crossover: Revolution - MASK, Transformers, Action Man, Micronauts, ROM, GI Joe (1794321)
Posted by Supreme Convoy on June 1st, 2016 @ 11:37pm CDT
I'm really digging what IDW is doing with their license books. As everyone has mentioned MTMTE is a solid title. But I will admit that I didn't realize GI Joe hasn't had a main title other than A Real American Hero.

This sounds like a boost GI Joe might need. I'm actually excited to see where this goes.

Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Bania Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Masterpiece Movie Series Barricade MPM-5" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 07 Leader Class Movie 4 Grimlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Masterpiece MPM-7 Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Premier Edition Deluxe Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #289 - No Thanks Given
"No Thanks Given"
Posted: Monday, November 29th, 2021

Buy "TRANSFORMERS BOTCON 2013 MACHINE WARS SUNSTORM #A" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Rescue Bots Optimus Prime Racing Trailer Set- Blurr, Boulder, Chase" on EBAY
Buy "Angry Birds Transformers Telepods Galvatron Pig" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Dark of the Moon Commander Class Megatron Figure Sealed AA173" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS GENERATIONS SIEGE WAR FOR CYBERTRON WFC-S32 BLACKJACK & HYPERDRIVE" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Powertrain & Highjump Siege War for Cybertron Micromaster" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers  Shattered Glass   #4  * First Print *    Cover A     NEW!!!" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Dark of the Moon Commander Class Optimus Prime Figure Sealed Z943" on EBAY