IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone - Shane McCarthy Interview

IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone - Shane McCarthy Interview

Friday, November 7th, 2014 4:40am CST

Categories: Comic Book News, People News, Interviews
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 42,604

Thanks again to fellow Seibertronian SW's Silverhammer eagle eyes, we can share an interview conducted by Comic Book Resources with the writer of the upcoming IDW Transformers mini-series Drift: Empire of Stone (and the creator of the character in the first place) - Shane McMCarthy. Read on below for some snippets on the book, head here for the full thing, and check out the preview pages here!

Later this month, writer Shane McCarthy returns to the samurai Transformer he created in "Drift: Empire of Stone," a four-issue mini-series from IDW Publishing with artist Guido Guidi. As a former Decepticon who found sanctuary with the Autobots, Drift is currently on a journey of self-discovery, attempting to discover his place in the Galaxy. Along with Autobot medic Ratchet, who is along for the ride to help clear Drift's name from a wrongful accusation, Drift will go through what McCarthy describes as "buddy cop meets space adventure."

The writer discussed re-visiting his samurai Transformer in the new IDW mini-series "Drift: Empire of Stone," revealing why Drift finds himself without alliances yet again, his feelings on Michael Bay's interpretation of the character in "Transformers: Age of Extinction" (and why it was "bordering on offensive") and more.

CBR News: Shane, what's the main story behind "Drift: Empire of Stone?"

Shane McCarthy: "Empire of Stone" takes place after Drift was booted off the Lost Light and sent on his way into the galaxy. It's about what he's been doing while he's been gone and how he's trying to be relevant and find his place in the galaxy now he's neither Autobot or Decepticon. Knowing Drift was wrongly accused, Ratchet comes looking for him to bring him back and the two become well and truly caught up in something from Drift's days as a Decepticon. While Drift is trying to save the galaxy, Ratchet is attempting to save Drift from himself. Buddy cop meets space adventure.

[...]

Are you coordinating your story at all with IDW "Transformers" architects John Barber or James Roberts? Will it connect to either "Robots in Disguise" or "More than Meets the Eye?"

Nothing beyond having John as my editor, no. John let me know what happened prior to "Empire of Stone" and I read up on Drift's appearances but, outside of that John's left me completely alone. He's a great guy to work with. Whilst the mini series takes place after the events on the Lost Light, the mini doesn't connect with the major books.

What's it like working with artist Guido Guidi?

Working with Gui is always a treat. He's a great artist! As I was writing up "Empire of Stone" I was sending Guido ideas and letting him know what characters I'd be using that he'd need to design. As the scripts start coming through to him he sends through sketches and pages for John and I to look at. It's like Christmas every time. I really enjoy working with Guido a lot and was over the moon when I found out we'd be able to work together. He was the one guy I really wanted for this and it's fantastic to come together to work on the character we created.

Credit(s): CBR

Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone - Shane McCarthy Interview (1620274)
Posted by JazZeke on November 7th, 2014 @ 9:25am CST
He won't be the wacky hippie guy that's been seen in the comics recently

But that was miles more interesting--and fleshed out--than anything he did with his own character.

I think the "Transformer" films are terrible cinema with no story or plot to speak of.

Funny, that's what I think about "All Hail Megatron" sometimes.
Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone - Shane McCarthy Interview (1620301)
Posted by SlyTF1 on November 7th, 2014 @ 10:45am CST
It still baffles me how people can sit there and say the movies have no story or plot. If anything, AOE was a bit overplotted.
Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone - Shane McCarthy Interview (1620335)
Posted by Dead Metal on November 7th, 2014 @ 3:53pm CST

Ignoring continuity and the rest of the comics, as usual, classic McCarthy.
Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone - Shane McCarthy Interview (1620338)
Posted by Randomhero on November 7th, 2014 @ 4:49pm CST
JazZeke wrote:
He won't be the wacky hippie guy that's been seen in the comics recently

Funny, that's what I think about "All Hail Megatron" sometimes.

You want to put the entire sentence from the quote instead of stopping where nodoubt you quit reading? He's not ignoring Drifts character development from MTMTE, it's going to be there as background like McCarthy even says in the rest of the sentence, but he's going to try and developed him further into what he-as the creator- always imagined.
Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone - Shane McCarthy Interview (1620345)
Posted by JazZeke on November 7th, 2014 @ 5:59pm CST
Randomhero wrote:
JazZeke wrote:
He won't be the wacky hippie guy that's been seen in the comics recently

Funny, that's what I think about "All Hail Megatron" sometimes.

Oh I read the whole interview, but I'm quoting the key sentence. What he-as a creator-always imagined is boring, two-dimensional, and sanctimonious compared to the more interesting "flaky spiritualist" Roberts fleshed him out into. Dead Metal hit the nail on the head:
Dead Metal wrote:So Drift will ignore all the character development he's had, plus instead of leaving the Lost Light as a fall guy (his own idea) he'll actually be kicked of and look for his lot in life, also Ratchet (the Lost Light's medic who's been on the ship before and after Drift left) will come looking for him.

Ignoring continuity and the rest of the comics, as usual, classic McCarthy.
Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone - Shane McCarthy Interview (1620409)
Posted by Rampage on November 8th, 2014 @ 8:19am CST
I don't know what to think. I'm definitely not going to jump the gun and proclaim this is going to suck, but I don't see Ratchet going out of his way to bring Drift back.
Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone - Shane McCarthy Interview (1620511)
Posted by JazZeke on November 8th, 2014 @ 10:42pm CST
"Pre-order your copy of Drift: Empire of Stone today and get your copy personally fapped over by Shane McCarthy!"
Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone - Shane McCarthy Interview (1620897)
Posted by Dead Metal on November 10th, 2014 @ 2:58pm CST
So I was at my local comic store and had a look at the previews catalog, in the TF section was the cover to the third issue of this series, only took a pic of that due to well, this:
Looks like RID Megatron/ Car Robots Gigatron is going to be part of the idw G1 cannon.

The description of what happens is something along the lines of "Drift's past problems become his present problems and Ratchet is unhappy that he got caught up in all of it."

It also claims that it ties directly into MTMTE, so make of it what you will.
Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone - Shane McCarthy Interview (1620915)
Posted by Va'al on November 10th, 2014 @ 4:32pm CST
Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone - Shane McCarthy Interview (1621097)
Posted by Dead Metal on November 11th, 2014 @ 9:53am CST
Va'al wrote:We've seen that image in the latest batch of solicitations, I believe, and IDW keep saying that it does feed into MTMTE - but that McCarthy interview confuses that point, as he claims he isn't working with Roberts at all, but only Barber. Hmm. :-?

Ah Ok, didn't know, I don't follow the solicitations anymore, I have a subscription for the tpbs.

Well, my guess is that idw commissioned this series to tie directly into MTMTE, but McCarthy doesn't bother to communicate with the other people working with the cannon because that's they way he works. And now that all the promo material has already been printed (the Previews catalog was likely being printed before actual work on the series actually started) it's too late for any changes made to the promotional material.

Anyway, this does not bode well, idw was winning me over with all the work they put into fixing the universe post Ongoing. But this along with McCarthy's interview really puts me off of continuing to read the tpbs. It just makes it look like they don't give a toss about their own continuity anymore and let random writers do what ever the hell they want now. I'll wait for reviews of this series, if there are continuity errors in it and the reviews point out that it connects badly to MTMTE, then, well, I'll use the TF tpb money instead to buy Sandman tpbs and get through that series faster than I currently am.
Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone - Shane McCarthy Interview (1624435)
Posted by Va'al on November 25th, 2014 @ 3:01am CST
And finally, are you ready for the return of your average Decepticon gunman turned Autobot swordsman with a spiritualist tendency? IDW Publishing has you covered this week! Find out below a full preview for the first issue of Drift: Empire of Stone, and head back to Seibertron.com for a review later this week!

Transformers: Drift: Empire of Stone #1 (of 4)—SPOTLIGHT
Shane McCarthy (w) • Guido Guidi (a) • Alex Milne (c)
DRIFT RETURNS! Last year, TRANSFORMERS readers were shocked when DRIFT left the AUTOBOTS in disgrace… and now he’s alone, on a mission to clean up the darkest depths of the galaxy—until RATCHET shows up to try to bring him home!
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Bullet points:
The creative team behind the classic—and best-selling—All Hail Megatron return to the character they introduced!
Ties directly in to the ongoing MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE series!
The fan-favorite character from the big screen returns to where he started—the comics page!
Artist’s Edition Variant cover by Guido Guidi!

Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone - Shane McCarthy Interview (1624460)
Posted by Nemesis Maximo on November 25th, 2014 @ 7:10am CST
Yay. Drift. Whoopy.

I'm not sure I'll get this; on one hand, I've all of the IDW stuff since "Death of Optimus Prime".on the other, it's about Drift.

Also, was he really a fan favorite? Not that I'm bashing anybody for liking him, I just thought he was more divisive of a character when he was introduced. Maybe I'm just remembering it wrongly...
Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone - Shane McCarthy Interview (1624463)
Posted by Shuttershock on November 25th, 2014 @ 7:47am CST
Nemesis Maximo wrote:Yay. Drift. Whoopy.

He was divisive when he started, mainly because he was hyped out the ass for All Hail Megatron (but then, that book had a lot of other problems) and didn't really live up to anything beyond "super cool sword guy doing awesome things".

Roberts' tenure with the character has been more favorably received, mainly by actually giving him a character with flaws and ideals. Of course, now McCarthy (the AHM writer) is doing this book, so it's hard to say if we'll see the return of "Drift Do'Urden" or if he's learned something from his early work.
Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone - Shane McCarthy Interview (1624466)
Posted by zodconvoy on November 25th, 2014 @ 7:53am CST
Shuttershock wrote:
Nemesis Maximo wrote:Yay. Drift. Whoopy.

If TL/DR:

Drift sucked, got better, not sure if sucks again.
Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone - Shane McCarthy Interview (1624470)
Posted by Optimizzy on November 25th, 2014 @ 8:11am CST
Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone - Shane McCarthy Interview (1624471)
Posted by Optimizzy on November 25th, 2014 @ 8:11am CST
durn double post. sorry.
Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone - Shane McCarthy Interview (1624481)
Posted by Nemesis Maximo on November 25th, 2014 @ 9:15am CST
Optimizzy wrote:I'll read it BECAUSE of Roberts development...but I suspect that he will revert to "seethes with generic rage" levels of mediocrity pretty soon. I'm just not confident in McCarthy's writing. :-(

Thi is how I feel. I have a smpall hope, however, that with Ratchet in it, they'll keep that interesting relationship going. And anyway, the solicitation for January showed RID Megatron will have a part. So maybe that'll be cool.
Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone - Shane McCarthy Interview (1624506)
Posted by JazZeke on November 25th, 2014 @ 10:05am CST
zodconvoy wrote:If TL/DR:

Drift sucked, got better, not sure if sucks again.

This. Very much this.
Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone - Shane McCarthy Interview (1624534)
Posted by Down_Shift on November 25th, 2014 @ 11:27am CST
After Regeneration One that's all I can see :(
Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone - Shane McCarthy Interview (1624640)
Posted by Zeedust on November 25th, 2014 @ 5:52pm CST
Bleh. That's really what they're going with? That's seriously what someone thinks will hook readers and make Drift as popular as they try to pretend he is?

Forget this. If I want to read about a sword-wielding Transformer who had the fanbase in an uproar, I'll wait for the Windblade ongoing. (Though that wait might kill me.)

Buy "Transformers MPM04 Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Legends Class Laserbeak" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Premier Edition Deluxe Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Superion Collection Pack" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #286 - They Might Be Giants
"They Might Be Giants"
Posted: Friday, October 8th, 2021

Buy "TRANSFORMERS RISE OF THE DECEPTICONS # 24 OCT 2020 NEW COVER A" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Legends Class Autobot TAILGATE and GROUNDBUSTER" on EBAY
Buy "1985 SCRAPPER G1 TAKARA TRANSFORMERS CONSTRUCTICON (DEVASTATOR) HASBRO DECPTICON" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Optimus Prime Western Star 5700XE Jada" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Cyberverse Action figures - Brand new sealed" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers War for Cybertron Battle Masters Siege War CALIBURST Takara Tomy B" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Cyberverse Adventures Thunderhowl Figure 2021 MOC Hasbro" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers R.I.D Firebot Dive Bomb & Instructions Evacuate Override Buzzsaw…" on EBAY