IDW Transformers: Robots in Disguise Comics Series Information and Covers

IDW Transformers: Robots in Disguise Comics Series Information and Covers

Tuesday, April 14th, 2015 3:50pm CDT

Categories: Cartoon News, Comic Book News, People News, Digital Media News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 51,413

We have some more information about the direction that the upcoming IDW Publishing Transformers: Robots in Disguise comics series will be taking with John Barber and Georgia Ball on writing duties, and Priscilla Tramontano on art, courtesy of ComicBookResources. Check out the two covers for issue #1 by Tramontano and Travis Sengaus/Josh Burcham, too, below, read the whole piece here and some snippets as follows!

The latest "Transformers" animated series debuted last month on Cartoon Network, "Transformers: Robots in Disguise." Longtime Transformers license-holder IDW Publishing isn't waiting long to capitalize on the show, with a "Robots in Disguise" #0 issue available on Free Comic Book Day (May 2), and a ongoing series set to debut in July. CBR has the exclusive first details on the ongoing, which will be written by Transformers newcomer Georgia Ball and illustrated by Priscilla Tramontano.

IDW makes the distinction that while the comic series is based on the "Robots in Disguise" TV show, it's not an adaptation of the same stories. "The stories tie into the continuity the show shares with 'Transformers Prime' and what happens in the cartoon will have consequences in the comic," Ball said in a statement to CBR. "But the comic will also feature new villains and explore different themes. There will be squabbles and there will be punching, but the first arc weaves in an element of mystery and betrayal. Bumblebee has to put the pieces together and he may not get them in the right order. I like resolving subplots in one or two issues within the context of a longer ongoing story, I’m not a fan of ending an issue without getting somewhere."

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: Robots in Disguise Comics Series Information and Covers

Credit(s): CBR

This article was last modified on Tuesday, April 14th, 2015 3:53pm CDT

Re: IDW Transformers: Robots in Disguise Comics Series Information and Covers (1675267)
Posted by Sabrblade on April 14th, 2015 @ 4:04pm CDT

Re: IDW Transformers: Robots in Disguise Comics Series Information and Covers (1675301)
Posted by SW's SilverHammer on April 14th, 2015 @ 5:32pm CDT
For a second I thought I read "beauty snooty" as snootchie bootchies.
Re: IDW Transformers: Robots in Disguise Comics Series Information and Covers (1675366)
Posted by Doubledealer93 on April 14th, 2015 @ 8:01pm CDT
man all the art i have seen for the show is better than the actual show CGI
Re: IDW Transformers: Robots in Disguise Comics Series Information and Covers (1675385)
Posted by Mkall on April 14th, 2015 @ 8:46pm CDT
Re: IDW Transformers: Robots in Disguise Comics Series Information and Covers (1675389)
Posted by SW's SilverHammer on April 14th, 2015 @ 8:49pm CDT
Mkall wrote:I cannot see this becoming confusing with IDW's OTHER Robots in Disguise series.

What other robots in disguise series? There's Windblade, More Than Meets the Eye, and The Transformers (ongoing).
Re: IDW Transformers: Robots in Disguise Comics Series Information and Covers (1675410)
Posted by Flashwave on April 14th, 2015 @ 9:47pm CDT
SW's SilverHammer wrote:

the last of which use to be called robots in disguise before they change the name in order to dodge any issues with this particular series. But not everybody's gotten that memo, a lot of people are still used to referring to it as robots in disguise, and it still shows up on comiXology is robots in disguise. so no no complications at all ;-)
Re: IDW Transformers: Robots in Disguise Comics Series Information and Covers (1675447)
Posted by Darth Jumpy on April 14th, 2015 @ 11:25pm CDT
I am excited for this, but I am a bit on the cautious side. Most of the Prime comics have trouble fitting into the canon anymore (unless RID Grimlock and FOC Grimlock are two different characters, which I am hoping to be the case), so I hope that this comic holds up better as time goes on.
Re: IDW Transformers: Robots in Disguise Comics Series Information and Covers (1675456)
Posted by Sabrblade on April 14th, 2015 @ 11:49pm CDT
Darth Jumpy wrote:Most of the Prime comics have trouble fitting into the canon anymore
Like which ones and how so?

The Prime graphic novel took place prior to season 1.

Rage of the Dinobots was set on Cybertron in the far past.

Beast Hunters was also set on Cybertron during and after season 3.
Re: IDW Transformers: Robots in Disguise Comics Series Information and Covers (1675467)
Posted by Flashwave on April 15th, 2015 @ 12:52am CDT
Hmm, yep. I don;t lik this art style. It does all of the free-flow lines that I didn't like about Ms. Scott's style, and none of the things she did right. The compostion is cool, poor Fixit looks like he got hit with one of Bee's wings.
Re: IDW Transformers: Robots in Disguise Comics Series Information and Covers (1675953)
Posted by robotmel on April 16th, 2015 @ 7:59am CDT
:BOT:
Courtesy of IDW Publishing.

IDW Publishing Editor John Barber recently got a chance to ask series writer, Georgia Ball, a few questions about herself and what she has in store for the new series, Transformers: Robots in Disguise.

JB: Welcome to Transformers, Georgia! Can you let us know a little about your background? Where you’re from, what comics and books you’ve worked on, all that stuff?

GB: I’m a Cajun Texan who graduated from the Savannah College of Art and Design and ended up in Seattle. SCAD awakened my obsession with comics but my professional career started in animation and web development. When my husband Scott and I decided to publish a webcomic (a few years before that was really a thing everyone did) I took on the writing portion because it came naturally and no one wanted Scott to write his own jokes. We self-published Scooter and Ferret for six years until an editor for Ape Entertainment asked me if I would be interested in writing for Strawberry Shortcake.

GB: Since then I’ve written comic stories for Dreamworks, Fruit Ninja, Littlest Pet Shop, Scooby-Doo, and an issue of My Little Pony that’s best remembered as the one that permanently scarred a pony. This is my busiest year yet, with two more all-ages licensed properties in progress, a digital-first horror/fantasy series and featured stories in the upcoming Space Goat anthology Evil Dead 2: Tales of the Ex-Mortis. My output is vacillating between blood and rainbows.

JB: What was your entry into the world of Transformers—as a fan, I mean? Do you have a favorite version of Transformers from over the years?

GB: I was parked in front of every episode of Transformers G1 in the 1980s but I couldn’t convince my mother to buy me any of the toys. She was a huge toy collector and had no problem showering me with Star Wars figures but Transformers just didn’t speak to her. After tons of pathetic begging she bought me one: Topspin, a Jumpsarter who sort-of-kind-of popped onto his feet when you pulled him backwards.

GB: I missed out when the movie was in theaters due to the same lack of parental interest—I saw it years later on TV and turned it off when Starscream died, because without Starscream around I just didn’t see the point. I returned to Transformers with Transformers: Prime, then jumped into the comics and bought my own toys, although my daughter’s plan to “share” the Bumblebee I got for my birthday isn’t working out in my favor. Now if only someone would take nine boxes of Star Wars figures off my hands.

JB: This new TRANSFORMERS ROBOTS IN DISGUISE comic is based on the all-new hit tv series airing on Cartoon Network. But this comic isn’t an adaptation—it’s all-new stories set in that world, but with… well, without giving anything away, some old friends you’re only going to see in the comic, right?

GB: The stories tie into the continuity the show shares with Transformers Prime and what happens in the cartoon will have consequences in the comic. But the comic will also feature new villains and explore different themes. There will be squabbles and there will be punching, but the first arc weaves in an element of mystery and betrayal. Bumblebee has to put the pieces together and he may not get them in the right order. I like resolving subplots in one or two issues within the context of a longer ongoing story, I’m not a fan of ending an issue without getting somewhere.

JB: This comic is aimed at Transformers fans of all ages, and it’ll probably be the first comic for a lot of kids. Is that something you’re thinking of when you’re writing?

GB: My first comics were wrinkled issues of Archie, Casper, and Sugar & Spike handed down from my parents. The art was in primary colors and they were light on continuity but they didn’t simplify the vocabulary or shy away from complex situational comedy. I want my readers to grow with my books, not discard them as soon as they’ve grown out of the target market. I do keep in mind exposition and character names—a friend read my first published comic book and pointed out that I’d never named one of the characters, a rookie mistake I’ve tried to avoid ever since (not to be confused with using names in the dialogue too often). I try to make sure every issue has layers that will mean more as the reader gets older.

JB: Without getting into spoilers, is there anything going on that long-time Transformers fans would be excited about in this series? I’m being coy here—I know there is!

GB: There’s a big surprise in issue #0 that Transformers fans will appreciate. It became my jumping off point for the series, it’s central to the plot later on and it takes advantage of the freedom we have to send the comic in directions that compliment and expand on Transformers Robots in Disguise.

JB: What do you think of TRANSFORMERS ROBOTS IN DISGUISE artist Priscilla Tramontano’s work? Have you two had a chance to collaborate much yet?

GB: This will be my first time working with Priscilla, who I was familiar with mainly for her color work in the comics. I love the somewhat organic feel she brings to the characters that lets them act out their emotions, she’s the perfect choice.

JB: Who’s your favorite Transformers character to write? Anybody particularly hard to get right?

GB: I don’t know if I’ll ever get to write for a series in which Starscream isn’t dead, but since he’s dead in this continuity I’m going to go with Strongarm. Sideswipe’s personality grates on her and I love writing her frustration with him. I left the first villain’s dialogue completely blank until the end, so you could say he was the most difficult to write. It’s always easier to get the feel of existing characters than it is to insert a new character into their universe. The most difficult existing character would probably be Denny; adult humans in the Transformers cartoons always seem to slide into living with giant robots a little too comfortably.

JB: Any other messages for Transformers fans out there?

GB: Transformers Robots in Disguise is accessible to new readers and is all about action and fun. Plus Autobots punching weird Decepticons in the face.

Remember to get those pre-orders in with your local comic book supplier and keep checking back for all the latest Transformers related comic book news right here on Seibertron.com!

:D
Wheres Va'al when you need him? :P
Re: IDW Transformers: Robots in Disguise Comics Series Information and Covers (1676033)
Posted by Va'al on April 16th, 2015 @ 11:34am CDT
robotmel wrote:Wheres Va'al when you need him? :P

Teaching.
Re: IDW Transformers: Robots in Disguise Comics Series Information and Covers (1676036)
Posted by Va'al on April 16th, 2015 @ 11:42am CDT
Via a notification from fellow Seibertronian robotmel, we have an interview conducted by IDW senior editor John Barber, also writer for The Transformers, with Georgia Ball, the new writer for the new series Transformers: Robots in Disguise! Check out some highlights below, and read the full piece here.

GB: I was parked in front of every episode of Transformers G1 in the 1980s but I couldn’t convince my mother to buy me any of the toys. She was a huge toy collector and had no problem showering me with Star Wars figures but Transformers just didn’t speak to her. After tons of pathetic begging she bought me one: Topspin, a Jumpstarter who sort-of-kind-of popped onto his feet when you pulled him backwards.

[...]

JB: Any other messages for Transformers fans out there?

Re: IDW Transformers: Robots in Disguise Comics Series Information and Covers (1676261)
Posted by Darth Jumpy on April 16th, 2015 @ 10:21pm CDT
Sabrblade wrote:
Like which ones and how so?

The Prime graphic novel took place prior to season 1.

Rage of the Dinobots was set on Cybertron in the far past.

Beast Hunters was also set on Cybertron during and after season 3.

Just the Dinobot focused ones, because Grimlock was practically the head of the Autobots on Cybertron. In order for those to fit with Robots in Disguise, Grimlock would have to have joined the Decepticons AFTER the Decepticons already lost the war (post Beast Hunters/Predacons Rising), despite being a biggest name Autobot on Cybertron after Prime died. Plus, Bumblebee does not recognize Grimlock when he meets him in RiD, dispite knowing him from Fall of Cybertron and meeting him again right after the events of Predacons Rising in the Beast Hunter comic.

The only way I can see those comics still fitting into continuity is if FoC/Beast Hunters Autobot Grimlock is a completely different character than RiD Decepticon Grimlock, in which case there is no problem, but there has been no confirmation on this.
Re: IDW Transformers: Robots in Disguise Comics Series Information and Covers (1676267)
Posted by Sabrblade on April 16th, 2015 @ 10:38pm CDT
Darth Jumpy wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
Like which ones and how so?

The Prime graphic novel took place prior to season 1.

Rage of the Dinobots was set on Cybertron in the far past.

Beast Hunters was also set on Cybertron during and after season 3.

Lemme stop ya right there. Those comics fit with Prime and the games, but what RID did to its depiction of Grimlock clashed with them, yes. However, those comics were written by Mairghread Scott, who is the Script Coordinator and Writer’s Assistant for the RID cartoon. With her onboard, there may yet be more to Grimlock than we currently know. And when fans asked her questions during the live Twitter Q&A session that happened during the U.S. premiere of the show, all questions pertaining to the nature of Grimlock in regards to the greater continuity were suspiciously refrained from being answered, as though she wanted to keep us in the dark about something related to this to come later.

For the time being, I'm just gonna ignore Grimlock's clashing depictions and want to see what, if anything, is to come of this later. If nothing comes at all (in either the show or in its new comic series), however, then I'll express my disdain for their latest reluctance to keep things consistent. :)
Re: IDW Transformers: Robots in Disguise Comics Series Information and Covers (1676403)
Posted by hinomars19 on April 17th, 2015 @ 10:16am CDT
As far as Grimlock goes, the easiest answer is he is a completely different character, who just shares the name. The reason for this is because the 'Grimlock' name is popular right now due to AoE, so Hasbro are cashing in.

Whether Scott does, can, or wants to offer an in fiction 'explanation' at some point is yet to be seen. Maybe I'm too cynical, but the skirting of the issue may come more from not wanting to say what I just said above.
This would all be avoided by simply calling him something else, but 'something else' isn't a money spinner right now. Second, I doubt Hasbro care too much if the latest TV show fits with the comics. As long as it vaguely follows the Prime cartoon, they are happy.They don't care about what kids don't care about. Scott is working on this under Hasbro's orders, so it may not be her call, even though it's the obvious question to us to ask.

I've expressed frustration with this whole aligned thing before and I'm sticking with my view that it's as aligned as a hardened boxers nose, but RiD Grimlock, for whatever reason, doesn't seem to bother me. Probably because he comes off as a different character, and I feel he is intended to be. <
Re: IDW Transformers: Robots in Disguise Comics Series Information and Covers (1681455)
Posted by Va'al on May 2nd, 2015 @ 5:54am CDT
FREE STOMPIN'

Premise
As we have seen with previous news pieces, the Transformers: Robots in Disguise animated series will be accompanied by an IDW Publishing comic, featuring writing by Georgia Ball and art/colours by Priscilla Tramontano. The introductory short story will be written by senior editor John Barber, and released for Free Comic Book Day (today! 2nd May!). A preview of the first three pages of issue #0 can bee seen here - and check out our quick review below!

In hand!

Story

The foundation for the story is firmly rooted in the established status quo of the animated series, and recapped in the credits page of the issue (with art by Travis Sengaus and colours by Tramontano): Bumblebee is sent on mission to Earth by the 'spirit' of Optimus Prime, is followed by Strongarm and Sideswipe; they encounter Fixit and a crash-landed prison ship full of Decepticons, including Grimlock, now a Team Bee member. The series follows their search for the escaped prisoners, and the help they get from humans Russell and his father.

Recap! Exclamation mark!

John Barber writes a light-hearted, if initially quite perilous plot for the humans involved, as a fire threatens to destroy a park by Crown City. The Autobots track the culprit down to Decepticon Flamefeather, and attempt to contain, restrain and detain the Con, and remain hidden to the human population.

LAMEfeather

The target is obviously the same as the TV show, with similar gags (Bumblebee's unsuccessful slogans), dynamics (Strongarm and Sideswipe bickering), punchlines (anything with Grimlock) and general action sequences with the Con-of-the-week formula - but there is also quite an intriguing twist at the end, which might have some older fans interested, and the jokes (both visual and textual) work quite well on the page too.

Art

The art, both colours and linework, is by newcomer to interiors but Transformers veteran Priscilla Tramontano - and she shines, truly. The expressivity of the characters, the contrasts between backgrounds and forefront, the action sequences; everything is executed really well, and brought together in a visually appealing and exciting package, bound to interest new readers.

Oh hey Prips

The colours do very much the same job, distinguishing between almost 3D and almost 2D shades for different elements on the page, with wonderful addition of Chris Mowry's lettering bringing the sass to the spunkiest characters, and the STOMP to Grimlock, as was needed.

STOMP STOMP

There is also a fun and unexpected additional section after the RID comic, with Barber and Tom Scioli joining up for a 'comic book funnies' centerfold page, based on the Transformers vs G.I. Joe ongoing hit series. Megatron's activity corner is a treat. And some extra advertising for Combiner Wars, the continuing RID series and other IDW properties.

Thoughts

The creative teams behind this have been clear about their target and intentions, as to how the comic series will relate to and link with the TV show, and it works quite well in this introductory issue. As I said above, the humour of the show is transported successfully to the page, and bodes well for the future, with Georgia Ball taking the reins next month.

I got my optic on you, RID

It's a fun little romp (stomp?) through the surroundings of Crown City, and Tramontano's debut makes it so attractive that I'll be following the series even just out of visual interest. But that final page reveal is bound to also leave a couple of questions that the show so far does not seem to be able to do. A fun issue to pick up for free, and definitely one for the younger readers!
Re: IDW Transformers: Robots in Disguise Comics Series Information and Covers (1681919)
Posted by Madeus Prime on May 3rd, 2015 @ 11:46am CDT
Re: IDW Transformers: Robots in Disguise Comics Series Information and Covers (1681928)
Posted by Va'al on May 3rd, 2015 @ 12:19pm CDT
You *are* being a pain. UGH. Graham. SUCH A PAIN.
Re: IDW Transformers: Robots in Disguise Comics Series Information and Covers (1681945)
Posted by Sabrblade on May 3rd, 2015 @ 1:18pm CDT
Va'al wrote:You *are* being a pain. UGH. Graham. SUCH A PAIN.

Re: IDW Transformers: Robots in Disguise Comics Series Information and Covers (1682081)
Posted by Flashwave on May 3rd, 2015 @ 10:30pm CDT
Madeus Prime wrote:I don't mean to be a pain, but could somebody scan a page so we can see what Flamefeather actually looks like?

Just gonna go out on a limb and say I *THINK* the whole point if for you to go out and BUY* THE COMIC. But what do I know?

*And since THIS one is FREE, they want you to buy more while you're there. buybuybuy! ;)