John Barber Talks More IDW The Transformers #50

Friday, February 26th, 2016 1:45pm CST

Categories: Comic Book News, People News, Interviews
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 50,379

With an issue as big as The Transformers #50, from IDW and review on Seibertron.com here, we were bound to get more than one interview with John Barber, the writer of the ongoing and editor of everything else Transformers at the publisher - the following is found on Newsarama, and contains some spoilers from the issue, so keep going only once you've read the issue!

[...] One of the things with Optimus Prime is that he’s a good guy. Like, a really good, powerful, guy. So over the years, he'd sort of had doubt introduced to him in the IDW comic books, where he was a little more hesitating in his actions. As I was writing him, I started to realize he was maybe going down that direction again, and it seemed to me—as a character, from his point of view—he’d want to avoid that.

But at the same time, one of the looming questions has been “what does it mean to be Prime?” Starscream’s ruling Cybertron; Megatron’s an Autobot... Some people see him as a war leader, others see him as a messianic figure... Some ’bots are loyally on his side and will follow him anywhere, and others—old friends—start to doubt him.

[...]

Nrama: As the battle and the main story ended, the issue kicked into another gear with that dream sequence from Optimus. What can you say about that? Is it a premonition? Will some (or all) of it come true?

Barber: Some of Optimus's dream is literally true. Some is symbolic. Some is what he fears. Maybe some is leading him to what he needs to know. And a big part of it recalls an ancient prophesy from the days of the original Primes. Is it Optimus projecting himself onto this old tale? Or is it the prophecy asserting itself onto its object?

[...]

But what really comes next is all of the pieces of this series coming together. The politics of Cybertron, the ancient history of Earth and Cybertron, the relationship with Earth and its giant metal visitors. Optimus Prime, Starscream, Prowl, Arcee, Victorion—all those characters come together. Plus ghost-Bumblebee. Or hallucination-Bumblebee, whatever Starscream is seeing. Even poor dead Bumblebee has a role to play!

Credit(s): Newsarama

Re: John Barber Talks More IDW The Transformers #50 (1769896)
Posted by Va'al on February 26th, 2016 @ 1:51pm CST
D-Maximus_Primal wrote:
Dr Va'al wrote:
D-Maximus_Primal wrote:
Dr Va'al wrote:
D-Maximus_Primal wrote:I think we are all forgetting another little hint: Optimus is not the Optimus he was before combiner wars. Prowl has infected is mind, and some of the stuff that is happening is stuff Prowl would do. Now mind you this may not have helped Optimus had it not happened, but some of his actions can be said to be related to Prowl and his styles :MAXIMAL:

If Barber and IDW go down the mind-control route again, I will not be a happy Va'al.

no no no no no, not mind control.

Remember how the constructicons started speaking in much more unity and stopped being so individual? The personalities blended during the combination process.

the same thing may be happening to Prime. He and Prowl combined, and the combination may have blended the personalities some. It's not mind control so much as it is fusing personalities :MAXIMAL:

Still not happy. [-(

I wouldn't expect you to be. Mind games are irritating and a bother to understand :MAXIMAL:

Nah, it's just narratively lazy. Just like 'it was all a dream'.
Re: John Barber Talks More IDW The Transformers #50 (1769900)
Posted by Deadput on February 26th, 2016 @ 2:06pm CST
Dr Va'al wrote:
Nah, it's just narratively lazy. Just like 'it was all a dream'.

Sorry for the kinda off topic post but just wondering when did you become a Dr?

But on topic though I really hate dream endings unless if the ending without it is worse.
Re: John Barber Talks More IDW The Transformers #50 (1769904)
Posted by Randomhero on February 26th, 2016 @ 2:20pm CST
Optimus having doubt... That is all thanks to Simon Furman. I used to defend Furman but man, after Regeneration One I can't anymore. The guy has never written Optimus Prime well in anything. Personally I love the take on Optimus John has set up. It's new and different and welcoming.
Re: John Barber Talks More IDW The Transformers #50 (1769924)
Posted by ScottyP on February 26th, 2016 @ 4:52pm CST
budmaloney wrote:When a sort of closure finally comes, it passes by so fast and so nonchalantly that it didn't feel worth it.

"All this for...this? That's the "big" move he made?"

questions like this keep popping up

It's definitely components of fatigue. This issue just felt bland to me. Lots of you are saying it's great etc. I want to resonate with that. Just the constant teasing and "to be continued" and repetitive mystery has become exhausting.
I'm actually on board with you on this one. I try to look past the hype, they want to sell these books after all, but it's hard to not buy into it. I've actually had this feeling about RiD since the end of the second arc, when there's a legit twist and interesting stuff happening then, oh, Megatron came back and "It was me all along!" came into play. Dark Cybertron did pretty well with it, the problem was more the road to getting there being "eh". But then after that, it's kinda been one long build up to more long build up to... what, exactly?

As much as I hate crossovers, I can see one upcoming. Or at the very least, some MTMTE characters might have reason other than "sell combiner toys" to come over to this book, and that could help. Our Lost Light crew might survive their encounter with Tarn's Army, but beside that, what happens when/if Tarn finds out about Galvatron and Soundwave? What side is right in their minds? Or is the Decepticon Civil War about to be a triple threat?
Re: John Barber Talks More IDW The Transformers #50 (1770083)
Posted by 1984forever on February 27th, 2016 @ 2:34pm CST
"What it means to be Prime..."

Boring! What it means to be Prime is something Rodimus would ponder while demolishing Decepticons, not Optimus. While I admit, protecting the Earth against the will of it's inhabitants is something Optimus would do, as shown in Megatron's Master plan pt.2, when Optimus decides to turn the shuttle back around and go back to Earth after being exiled from it, self doubt however, is a very small part of his character.

No one at IDW gets Transformers. Every hack working there tries to rip off the worst elements of G1 season 3 and expand upon it in their dull overpriced comics! I swear if I had to go to a comic shop to pick up this trash I wouldn't waste the gas. The ease of one touch ordering is the only reason why I kept buying these monthly bad fanfics wherein almost all of the Decepticons are either dead or defected and the Autobots are left to fight amongst themselves.

Can someone at IDW please bring back McDonough from Dreamwave to write AUTHENTIC Transformers stories in his own continuity for fans of the original Transformers series? Reading IDWs digital doo doo is like watching a car go over a cliff, explode, and then keep exploding into smaller and smaller pieces. The entire IDW staff should be embarrased of their "work".
Re: John Barber Talks More IDW The Transformers #50 (1770087)
Posted by Starscream on February 27th, 2016 @ 2:50pm CST
Tell us how you REALLY feel
Re: John Barber Talks More IDW The Transformers #50 (1770105)
Posted by Deadput on February 27th, 2016 @ 4:34pm CST
1984forever wrote:"What it means to be Prime..."

You lost credibility the moment you said Dreamwave and good in the same sentence.

It seems that your the only one here who doesn't get Transformers at least outside of 1984 which was a long time ago.

The only one who should be embarrassed is you since every comment of yours on here is just a long rant about what you don't like while also mixing up facts with your opinion if you don't like Transformers now your never going to like it because it's not going to change Transformers is just not for you and probably never will be.
Re: John Barber Talks More IDW The Transformers #50 (1770126)
Posted by President-prime on February 27th, 2016 @ 6:44pm CST
Re: John Barber Talks More IDW The Transformers #50 (1770130)
Posted by President-prime on February 27th, 2016 @ 6:55pm CST
Come on Mr. David Kay. Say the last line for me.

Through space and time, past, present, and future. My fate is of my own.
Humans, Cybertronians, Nebulans, when in my presence, remember one thing.
"Megaton does not yield. He conquers!"
Re: John Barber Talks More IDW The Transformers #50 (1770131)
Posted by Deadput on February 27th, 2016 @ 7:03pm CST
President-prime wrote:Sorry 1984. While I I agree that some elements of THE optimus prime that I love and miss is lacking in recent comics, and while I do enjoy the Dreamwave transformers comics (despite personal issues and problems that some people have with its owners-mind you. It's like saying all Dreamwave artists are all bad, i.e., Don Figueroa is phenomenal), I wouldn't go so far as saying everything IDW is bad. Me not liking the direction the Recent books, doesn't make everything IDW does is bad. I love Sciola's transformers vs gi Joe. I just hope Optimus goes back to being his heroic godly self again :) Leave the doubts and and the indecision to new leaders, like Bumblebee, or b rated charactes to be explored. And stop it with the Megatron being an autobot. "Megaton does not yield...he conquers!"

It's Forever1984 He likes nothing outside of the first two years of transformers and Dreamwave of all things.

Nothing anyone says is going to get to him.
Re: John Barber Talks More IDW The Transformers #50 (1770138)
Posted by Va'al on February 27th, 2016 @ 7:46pm CST
The year 1984 never happened. It was all a dream(wave), drawn by Pat Lee in a love letter to Rob Liefeld.
Re: John Barber Talks More IDW The Transformers #50 (1770139)
Posted by 1984forever on February 27th, 2016 @ 7:49pm CST
Deadput wrote:

Nothing anyone says is going to get to him.

Enjoy.
Re: John Barber Talks More IDW The Transformers #50 (1770142)
Posted by Deadput on February 27th, 2016 @ 8:04pm CST
1984forever wrote:If IDW started out with Armada or Animated I probably wouldn't know who they were right now. But no, they started out with heavily influenced G1 style books because they didn't want to take a chance on not making money. So this G1 fan bought IDWs stuff that was catered to fans of G1, and then they changed it. IDW stopped the war so the Transformers could sit around and drink curdled Energon and caress each others skid plates and fight Gundams. Any other publisher would have rebooted this crap years ago, but not IDW. Why? Because people like me kept buying. Well now i'm out altogether.

Enjoy.

And people got bored of the war stuff which why they ended it IDW started getting better when MTMTE and RID began.

There is still action I have no idea of what your getting at with them sitting and drinking when that doesn't happen outside of a couple panels in a few issues.

and don't get me started about the caressing and Gundam comment.

84 the way the comics are now sells and people are buying their not going to change that so if you can't get into anything now then you never will since nothing will change like I said the 1980's happened a long time ago and Hasbro is kinda leaving it behind and moving on like they should.
Re: John Barber Talks More IDW The Transformers #50 (1770144)
Posted by Deadput on February 27th, 2016 @ 8:09pm CST
1984forever wrote:
No one at IDW gets Transformers. Every hack working there tries to rip off the worst elements of G1 season 3 and expand upon it in their dull overpriced comics!-

You say this when that guy at Dreamwave did all that crap that got the company shut down.

That one guy is a lot more of a hack then IDW is at all their not hacks either you just don't like the stories their writing because it doesn't meet your standards.
Re: John Barber Talks More IDW The Transformers #50 (1770167)
Posted by President-prime on February 27th, 2016 @ 11:51pm CST
Re: John Barber Talks More IDW The Transformers #50 (1770169)
Posted by Deadput on February 28th, 2016 @ 12:09am CST
President-prime wrote:I'm not understanding how directions of characters and comic books got into pointing fingers. I think you guys should just stop it with the misdirection and talk about what you really don't like. I think the writers and artists, fans included, would prefer if discussion is on the actual content of the work, then going back and forth about dreamwave and idw. Who cares. I need more badass megaton and epic battles.

Except for the fact that we are talking about IDW.
Re: John Barber Talks More IDW The Transformers #50 (1770171)
Posted by President-prime on February 28th, 2016 @ 12:55am CST
Yes, content and work, not which company is better. Like I said before, who cares about the direction of this debate. I, for once, wants to hear recommendations of good transformers titles and good story arc to enjoy with my transformers collections. This thread is about idw and Transformers 50. Why would I go out to a comic book store and buy this issue? The art? the writing? And yes, I've read the review. And I will buy it for the fact that it's about Optimus. Hope is is his Godlike self again :)
Re: John Barber Talks More IDW The Transformers #50 (1770175)
Posted by Va'al on February 28th, 2016 @ 4:15am CST
1984forever wrote:Well now i'm out altogether.

Please.

Don't.

(If you do come back, please avoid swearing and insulting other users. Thank you.)
Re: John Barber Talks More IDW The Transformers #50 (1770177)
Posted by Deadput on February 28th, 2016 @ 4:35am CST
Dr Va'al wrote:
1984forever wrote:Well now i'm out altogether.

Please.

Don't.

I apologize if I cluttered up the thread myself I just got upset over him insulting the writers for arguably dumb reasons.
Re: John Barber Talks More IDW The Transformers #50 (1770352)
Posted by Va'al on February 29th, 2016 @ 5:58am CST
Deadput wrote:
Dr Va'al wrote:
1984forever wrote:Well now i'm out altogether.

Please.

Don't.

This post was also unnecessary.

Seriously, there is no need to be passive or actively aggressive towards any user.

Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Bania Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Masterpiece Movie Series Barricade MPM-5" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Darkmoon and Astrotrain" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #286 - They Might Be Giants
"They Might Be Giants"
Posted: Friday, October 8th, 2021

Buy "Autobot Heroes Platinum Edition Transformers Ultra Magnus Sealed" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers BUMBLEBEE Action Figure POWER PUNCH Age of Extinction Deluxe NEW" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Aoe High Octane Bumblebee" on EBAY
Buy "Playskool Heroes Transformers Rescue Bots Roar and Rescue Bumblebee Figure" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers 3 Thunderhoof Figure Blue McDonald’s Happy Meal Toy 2016" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Robots In Disguise Combiner Force Stuntwing Mini Con" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers SIDESWIPE ROTF Revenge of the Fallen Deluxe Class 2009" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Sideswipe Autobot Deluxe 2008 Revenge of the Fallen ROTF" on EBAY