This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

KB Toys to Possibly Make a Return to US

Transformers News: KB Toys to Possibly Make a Return to US

Monday, March 19th, 2018 6:54AM CDT

Categories: Rumors, Company News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 42,662

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

With the stories about Toys R Us dominating the news cycle for toy collectors and fans, something else seems to have made its appearance, sped up by the closure of the giraffe-shaped retail chain, and a name that North American Transformers fans might recognise: KB Toys.

Fellow Seibertronian Sabrblade pointed us towards an article on The Rock Father detailing the entire deal, but it all starts with Ellia Kassoff of Strategic Brands, LLC, posting on LinkedIn about their plans to resurrect KB Toys, and how the TRU closure has affected all this.

we have now accelerated our business plan and hope to have our stores up and running before Christmas. We're in discussions with many of the toy manufactures, as we try to find out the best way to support them and the 20% loss of the US toy market due to the Toys R Us liquidation.


Additionally, Kassoff later posted another message, highlighting their current priorities in terms of the over 30000 people who are losing their current jobs at Toys R Us, along with any other specialist in the toy industry (manufacturer, distributor, retailer, etc) who may be interested in joining the initiative to, as they put it, 'save the toy industry'.

The action is bold, and as Zahn points out in the article on The Rock Father, there are both good pointers and potential hurdles in the whole deal, including the cause of KB's downfall in the first place being the same as TRU's this time round:

Strategic Marks did indeed file for a trademark on the name "KB Toys" back in 2016. What's interesting here is that the original KB Toys fell victim to the same vultures at Bain Capital, who loaded that company with debt and killed it in the same way that they've destroyed Toys "R" Us. Then, in 2009, Toys "R" Us acquired the KB portfolio of trademarks from Streambank, LLC for just over $2M, taking over the domain names and later using the KB Toys name on a series of budget-priced, house-branded toys and games (they were crap) labeled as K•B Classics. Along the way, KB had many variations of their name, including K•B Toys, K•B Toys Outlet, K•B Toy Works and Kay-Bee Toys. It will be interesting to see if Toys "R" Us still considers any of those to be assets in their liquidation, as I was able to find that KBToys.com, KBToyWorks.com and KBKids.com (which once had a $43M push behind it) are all still owned by Toys "R" Us and pointed to the TRU.com server (although unresponsive)


That said, what do you make of this? Is it a positive update in the Toys r Us debacle? Is it something that might interest you to follow through? Join the conversation in the Energon Pub, and share your thoughts!
Credit(s): Linkedin

News Search

Got Transformers News? Let us know here!

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: KB Toys to Possibly Make a Return to US (1947035)
Posted by spiderbob007 on March 19th, 2018 @ 7:22am CDT
Every company that Bain Capital touches seems to go bankrupt.

Two stories of Bain's money management skills:
http://nyp.st/2pgWNyJ
http://nyp.st/2xUP53Y
Re: KB Toys to Possibly Make a Return to US (1947036)
Posted by Galactic Prime on March 19th, 2018 @ 7:27am CDT
North American Transformers fans? KB Toys never existed in Canada or Mexico.
Re: KB Toys to Possibly Make a Return to US (1947037)
Posted by Cyber Bishop on March 19th, 2018 @ 7:28am CDT
spiderbob007 wrote:Every company that Bain Capital touches seems to go bankrupt.

Yup, Clearchannel and I heart radio both bent belly up after they bough them. They have the death touch.
Re: KB Toys to Possibly Make a Return to US (1947061)
Posted by Kyleor on March 19th, 2018 @ 9:14am CDT
I doubt it would happen, but it would be kind of awesome if KB Toys came back, went into former Toys R Us locations where feasible, and hired on former Toys R Us employees (store only, no corporate) where possible.
Re: KB Toys to Possibly Make a Return to US (1947071)
Posted by o.supreme on March 19th, 2018 @ 9:38am CDT
This is interesting...I remember KB toys website for a while would redirect to Toys R Us. It would be interesting if they came back. However I don't think they could support stores the size of TRU. Having smaller stores in shopping malls would evoke that nostalgia, and actually give me a reason to go to malls again (no toy store, no book stores, no media stores...) basically no reason for me to go to the mall in about a decade, except for a discount theater experience LOL....
Re: KB Toys to Possibly Make a Return to US (1947077)
Posted by kurthy on March 19th, 2018 @ 9:55am CDT
This is awesome! :DANCE: I loved KB much more than TRU. It was my one and only reason to go to the mall with my sisters when I was a little kid.
Re: KB Toys to Possibly Make a Return to US (1947092)
Posted by griftimus prime on March 19th, 2018 @ 11:55am CDT
i would like more updates on this. its very unlikely but could be cool. also i did not know kb still existed.
Re: KB Toys to Possibly Make a Return to US (1947101)
Posted by SW's SilverHammer on March 19th, 2018 @ 12:48pm CDT
Cyber Bishop wrote:
spiderbob007 wrote:Every company that Bain Capital touches seems to go bankrupt.

Yup, Clearchannel and I heart radio both bent belly up after they bough them. They have the death touch.

Not to get to technical, but Bain capitol isn't a management firm. It's private equities. What they do is take out massive loans, buy companies then slash payroll and cut costs. It makes the business look profitable in the short term so they can take out more loans in the businesses name, pay off their original debts, then sell the company for a greater profit. It's not structural management, its money management.
Re: KB Toys to Possibly Make a Return to US (1947105)
Posted by Megatron Wolf on March 19th, 2018 @ 1:03pm CDT
This would be awesome especially if they take over all the TRU spots. KB was my main toy store when i was a kid even after TRU showed up, would be great to see them come back. Just hope they dont take over where they left off, near the end they were worse than TRU is right now. Stll sad to see TRU go but if this goes through itll soften the blow alot.
Re: KB Toys to Possibly Make a Return to US (1947109)
Posted by kurthy on March 19th, 2018 @ 1:23pm CDT
FTFY,
What they do is take out massive loans, buy companies then slash payroll and cut costs. It makes the business look profitable in the short term so they can take out more loans in the businesses name, pay off their original debts, then let the company go bankrupt after they've squeezed them for those loans and profits.

They only try to sell the company if they still survive after all that. Also, Bain Capital's "intent" is to use the Bain& Company's management consultancy techniques to streamline the operations, so while they are a capital investment firm, they also apply B&C consultancy, which often leads to bankruptcy. If you want to mince words fine, but BC squeezed TRU dry like a number of other companies.


SW's SilverHammer wrote:
Cyber Bishop wrote:
spiderbob007 wrote:Every company that Bain Capital touches seems to go bankrupt.

Yup, Clearchannel and I heart radio both bent belly up after they bough them. They have the death touch.

Not to get to technical, but Bain capitol isn't a management firm. It's private equities. What they do is take out massive loans, buy companies then slash payroll and cut costs. It makes the business look profitable in the short term so they can take out more loans in the businesses name, pay off their original debts, then sell the company for a greater profit. It's not structural management, its money management.
Re: KB Toys to Possibly Make a Return to US (1947143)
Posted by tmthor on March 19th, 2018 @ 6:17pm CDT
Va'al wrote:With the stories about Toys R Us dominating the news cycle for toy collectors and fans, something else seems to have made its appearance, sped up by the closure of the giraffe-shaped retail chain, and a name that North American Transformers fans might recognise: KB Toys.

Fellow Seibertronian Sabrblade pointed us towards an article on The Rock Father detailing the entire deal, but it all starts with Ellia Kassoff of Strategic Brands, LLC, posting on LinkedIn about their plans to resurrect KB Toys, and how the TRU closure has affected all this.

we have now accelerated our business plan and hope to have our stores up and running before Christmas. We're in discussions with many of the toy manufactures, as we try to find out the best way to support them and the 20% loss of the US toy market due to the Toys R Us liquidation.


Additionally, Kassoff later posted another message, highlighting their current priorities in terms of the over 30000 people who are losing their current jobs at Toys R Us, along with any other specialist in the toy industry (manufacturer, distributor, retailer, etc) who may be interested in joining the initiative to, as they put it, 'save the toy industry'.

The action is bold, and as Zahn points out in the article on The Rock Father, there are both good pointers and potential hurdles in the whole deal, including the cause of KB's downfall in the first place being the same as TRU's this time round:

Strategic Marks did indeed file for a trademark on the name "KB Toys" back in 2016. What's interesting here is that the original KB Toys fell victim to the same vultures at Bain Capital, who loaded that company with debt and killed it in the same way that they've destroyed Toys "R" Us. Then, in 2009, Toys "R" Us acquired the KB portfolio of trademarks from Streambank, LLC for just over $2M, taking over the domain names and later using the KB Toys name on a series of budget-priced, house-branded toys and games (they were crap) labeled as K•B Classics. Along the way, KB had many variations of their name, including K•B Toys, K•B Toys Outlet, K•B Toy Works and Kay-Bee Toys. It will be interesting to see if Toys "R" Us still considers any of those to be assets in their liquidation, as I was able to find that KBToys.com, KBToyWorks.com and KBKids.com (which once had a $43M push behind it) are all still owned by Toys "R" Us and pointed to the TRU.com server (although unresponsive)


That said, what do you make of this? Is it a positive update in the Toys r Us debacle? Is it something that might interest you to follow through? Join the conversation in the Energon Pub, and share your thoughts!


Not to bust everyone's bubble but all of you that did not shop at Tru are not going to shop at the new KB why do you ask?.....because Walmart Target and Amazon will still be cheaper. They are not going to be able to compete right of the bat. The problem is Walmart and Target and Amazon are too big...the stiffle competition and yes their buying power is far beyond that of any smaller retailers. Not saying if done right the new KB will fail..just saying that at least in the beginning they will have the same prices if not higher than Tru had. Also on the radio (I have not looked up anything to check the validity of the story) but on the radio they said there Amazon is looking into buying a bunch of the Tru inventory and possibly some of the stores (the ones that are owned by Tru not leased that might be distribution warehouses idk) but the guy reported that might disrupt the Canadian stores deal. He also reported that many parties are interested in the name trademark and the online site. So this might become a big mess as far as the Canadian stores sales go...the might have to change the name if another party buys the name "toys r us"

Another thing that was discussed was that we are seeing the end of the specialty stores (big chain stores not mom and pop ones) they listed many stores that sales figures have forecasted will have troubles they named the following Best Buy, GameStop, Claire's, Barnes & nobel & FYE. They gave a multitude of reasons but the biggest one is....you can one stop shop at Walmart and Target...and get the best price in many cases...and that's what people are doing if not there Amazon...they one reporter laughed and said most likely Walmart will fear Amazon some day the way other retailers fear Walmart now.

Edit
Found the Amazon story they might be referencing look up bloomberg.com
Re: KB Toys to Possibly Make a Return to US (1947148)
Posted by fenrir72 on March 19th, 2018 @ 6:55pm CDT
Concerning TRU and the KB story, read what happened to Kenny Rogers Roasted Chicken franchise! It was a juggernaut back in the 80s but eventually bit the dust.................only one branch in California left iirc. A Malaysian Chinese company eventually bought the name and still continues to exist in SEA.

Same thing wmight happen to TRU. Some Chinese money bags investor/s might buy the name and continue on in Asia (especially China). Doing business in the mainland USA ain't profitable anymore (unless those Chinese investors will learn their lessons from the cluster frack deal they got with Paramount Pictures....cough cough AoE and TLK and GitS :lol: ) and won't tough the brand with a 10 foot pole. :-?
Re: KB Toys to Possibly Make a Return to US (1947158)
Posted by WreckerJack on March 19th, 2018 @ 8:37pm CDT
We have more news regarding Toys R Us going out of business. A quick thanks to Emerje for bringing this to our attention. This news comes to us from Business Insider. Toys R Us is planning to close all of it's stores and liquidate all of it's items. Toys R Us has notified employees that stores and warehouses will be shutting down by May 14th. According to employees, liquidation sales will start Thursday of this week so keep a look out. There is still time for one last visit. If you feel nostalgic you may want to read our editorial, Remembering Toys R Us.

Image
Re: KB Toys to Possibly Make a Return to US (1947162)
Posted by EunuchRon on March 19th, 2018 @ 9:40pm CDT
"One shall stand, one shall fall".
KB stands when TRU falls? If that happens, just weird, man. Weird. :BOT: :CON:
Re: KB Toys to Possibly Make a Return to US (1947164)
Posted by william-james88 on March 19th, 2018 @ 10:02pm CDT
EunuchRon wrote:"One shall stand, one shall fall".
KB stands when TRU falls? If that happens, just weird, man. Weird. :BOT: :CON:

You know what else is weird? KB Toys still exists as an actual e-bay store... and they sell TRU exclusives

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?siteid=0&pub=5574891718&campid=5336631220&customid=&toolid=10001&mkevt=1&mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FChubby-Puppies%20...%203332253655%3C%2Fa%3E%3F
Re: KB Toys to Possibly Make a Return to US (1947168)
Posted by EunuchRon on March 19th, 2018 @ 10:18pm CDT
Heavy... :shock:
Re: KB Toys to Possibly Make a Return to US (1947170)
Posted by WreckerJack on March 19th, 2018 @ 11:11pm CDT
Got a text from a buddy saying that TRU doesn't to website orders to in store pickup. (you can still order from their site just not in store pickups) Did a check and sure enough I do not see that feature. Looks like their free shipping benchmark went up to 99$ for whatever reason.

Also heard from another person that grocery stores are cutting up TRU giftcards as they are being recalled. If you have any TRU giftcards or credit, use them up ASAP. Claim what is rightfully yours before it's too late.
Re: KB Toys to Possibly Make a Return to US (1947172)
Posted by fenrir72 on March 19th, 2018 @ 11:33pm CDT
https://www.foxbusiness.com/features/if ... p=obinsite

"Many are speculating that Toys “R” Us liquidation plans to shutter all of its U.S. stores is imminent after the toy giant announced plans to close all of its UK stores on Wednesday.

The retailer has been struggling to keep afloat after a lackluster holiday season and failing to find a buyer to help the toy giant out of its massive piles of debt. But as with any retailer’s demise, many industry insiders are already weighing in on who could potentially capitalize off the toy giant’s death.

Although the likely winners will be Amazon, Walmart and Target, leading toy expert and CEO of TTPM.com Jim Silver says other big retail chains have already started to add more toys.

“Best Buy is expanding their toy selection. Party City is adding more toys. FAO is reopening. Kohl’s and JC Penney will carry more toys,” Silver tells FOX Business, adding that he also expects smaller specialty chains to expand as a result.

Another possibility, adds Silver, is that one of the larger international toy chains such as UK- based Smyths Toys could now be looking to target the U.S.

Gerrick Johnson, a toy analyst for BMO Capital Markets, says if liquidation happens, the move will most likely only affect smaller toy companies, and giants like Mattel and Hasbro will likely gain market share because of their scale—eventually.

“It will be harder for new products to emerge and for untested concepts to be tried out,” Johnson tells FOX Business. “So there will be disruption in the near term if these stores liquidate.”

Many big toy makers, he says, will likely struggle this year as Toys “R” Us shutters 180 store locations across the country over the next two months because of the steep discounts it’s currently offering on toys.

“These goods are 20% to 70% off. And that sell-through won't generate reorders. So the first half, and potentially the full year, will be difficult for toy companies because of this,” Johnson says.

A representative for Toys “R” Us declined to comment to FOX Business in regards to the possible liquidation.

Toys “R” Us has been struggling for several months now. In September, just before the holiday season, the company filed for bankruptcy protection as its sales have been waning and debt was piling up. Then in late January, the retailer announced its plans to shutter roughly 180 stores across the country, wiping out one-fifth of its U.S. store fleet."


https://nypost.com/2018/03/14/toys-r-us ... res-alive/

" Geoffrey the giraffe may be close to extinction — but he ain’t dead yet.

Toys ‘R’ Us is in talks to save the chain from total liquidation, The Post has learned.

As the embattled retailer braces for a bankruptcy court filing on Thursday that would begin an orderly shutdown of the 70-year-old company, investors are weighing the possibility of salvaging a downsized version of the 800-store chain, sources said.

It’s not clear how many stores could be saved."


https://nypost.com/2018/03/15/toys-r-us ... ed-wounds/

"Toys R Us said Thursday it was giving up its fight to stay alive, and that it was killed by vendors that failed to support the 70-year-old chain, by rivals whose predatory prices created a long string of losses and by the media focus on its travails.

Chief executive David Brandon ticked off a long list of suspects, including Target, Walmart and Amazon.

But a look at the actions and inactions of the once-mighty chain reveals the long-troubled retailer wasn’t murdered — it committed suicide."
Re: KB Toys to Possibly Make a Return to US (1947175)
Posted by Ted_Spaghetti on March 19th, 2018 @ 11:50pm CDT
I'm leaving to a city (180 miles from where I live, theres no TRU here) on Thursday night, so sales will be ready right when I get there. As for TRU and it's end, I don't feel all that bad about it. Prices are ridiculous compared to Walmart and Target (no wonder why TRU has lost to them) and the managment is garbage. I only have a few memories of Toys R Us that were special, like going in 2010 and looking at Leader Starscream or when DOTM cyberverse Optimus Prime came out as the exclusive preview toy. Oh well, I guess I better get ready for the end. K-B relaunch, here I come!
Re: KB Toys to Possibly Make a Return to US (1947184)
Posted by lakebot on March 20th, 2018 @ 12:39am CDT
tmthor wrote:Not to bust everyone's bubble but all of you that did not shop at Tru are not going to shop at the new KB why do you ask?.....because Walmart Target and Amazon will still be cheaper. They are not going to be able to compete right of the bat. The problem is Walmart and Target and Amazon are too big...the stiffle competition and yes their buying power is far beyond that of any smaller retailers. Not saying if done right the new KB will fail..just saying that at least in the beginning they will have the same prices if not higher than Tru had. Also on the radio (I have not looked up anything to check the validity of the story) but on the radio they said there Amazon is looking into buying a bunch of the Tru inventory and possibly some of the stores (the ones that are owned by Tru not leased that might be distribution warehouses idk) but the guy reported that might disrupt the Canadian stores deal. He also reported that many parties are interested in the name trademark and the online site. So this might become a big mess as far as the Canadian stores sales go...the might have to change the name if another party buys the name "toys r us"

Another thing that was discussed was that we are seeing the end of the specialty stores (big chain stores not mom and pop ones) they listed many stores that sales figures have forecasted will have troubles they named the following Best Buy, GameStop, Claire's, Barnes & nobel & FYE. They gave a multitude of reasons but the biggest one is....you can one stop shop at Walmart and Target...and get the best price in many cases...and that's what people are doing if not there Amazon...they one reporter laughed and said most likely Walmart will fear Amazon some day the way other retailers fear Walmart now.

Edit
Found the Amazon story they might be referencing look up bloomberg.com


I am seeing a lot of people indicating they feel Walmart, Target, and Amazon are better options or at least the options people will be using. While I must agree I personally use them for various purchases, including toys and transformers in particular, they are not always the best option and I think people are overlooking that. It’s already been mentioned that TRU did/was/was supposed to carry items you either couldn’t get from those locations or at least not in store. If KB comes back I don’t see this being any different and as I recall, until their last days, their toy selection was far superior to that of Walmart or Target. I do not consider Amazon for hardly any purchases(but I’ll get to that later). Prices may be higher but selection is what I’m after. And any toy or specialty store has to know they have to offer something different or more than other non-specialty shops due to the fact that they are, indeed, a specialty shop. Otherwise, why even open?

As for Amazon, I see Amazon as a thorn in the side of many businesses but I don’t feel I can safely order things online consistently. Or on eBay. I’ve repeated that many times before so I do apologize but from books to dvd’s/Blue Ray to toys, I’d say at least 10 times in the last month something has come damaged. If you’re buying older things, it can’t be helped but to buy online, unless you have limitless time to spend going from shop to shop. So it’s a necessary evil. Not one I want to be forced into for new products. Especially for the exact items that shipping can and does cause damage to. I cringe every time I place an online order because for the convenience, I sacrifice in other areas. Save money on an item, it comes damaged, send it back, play the waiting game for a refund, try again. Maybe I’m reading to much into it but it appears people prefer to sacrifice safely obtaining the item to save money?
Re: KB Toys to Possibly Make a Return to US (1947203)
Posted by X3ROhour on March 20th, 2018 @ 5:08am CDT
and we stumble
one more
creaking step
towards the dystopiac,
chaos,
death-heat
that lies there
- waiting for us all -
in the salted desert plains
of an apocalypse
we dreamed,
saw &
failed.

*sigh*
Re: KB Toys to Possibly Make a Return to US (1947281)
Posted by Shiroi Haze on March 20th, 2018 @ 4:32pm CDT
I managed to snag a Thundercracker two days ago. They don't have them on shelves but they have them in the back. I had to ask an employee for him to grab one from the storage. He also said there are no more street dates since it wouldn't matter anymore. :-(
Really sad about this... Thundercracker will be my last figure that I got from toys r us.
Re: KB Toys to Possibly Make a Return to US (1947363)
Posted by X3ROhour on March 21st, 2018 @ 2:00am CDT
WreckerJack wrote:I won't be having any kids. My toys are for ME! :-D

HERE, HERE!
Re: KB Toys to Possibly Make a Return to US (1947389)
Posted by o.supreme on March 21st, 2018 @ 9:22am CDT
WreckerJack wrote:Also heard from another person that grocery stores are cutting up TRU giftcards as they are being recalled. If you have any TRU giftcards or credit, use them up ASAP. Claim what is rightfully yours before it's too late.


Makes sense..all I have fortunately is a coupon that came in the mail ($10 off a purchase of $75 or more). It expires this Saturday. I was hoping the Voltron Legendary Defender set that is $100 would start to go on sale before then. Saturday is my last chance I guess...Also It probably goes without saying they aren't taking any new layaways. I'd love to put one last order on, but the time frame to pay off a layaway would come dangerously close to the date of most stores closing...Knowing me I'd pay the item off, go to the store to get it, and they'd be closed down.
Re: KB Toys to Possibly Make a Return to US (1947554)
Posted by Ig89ninja on March 22nd, 2018 @ 12:43pm CDT
I just went to my TRU and on the doors there was a sign that said "liquidation sale postponed",
I'm not sure what this means (besides no toy sales for now) but i figured I'd post it here
Re: KB Toys to Possibly Make a Return to US (1947564)
Posted by chuckdawg1999 on March 22nd, 2018 @ 1:19pm CDT
Ig89ninja wrote:I just went to my TRU and on the doors there was a sign that said "liquidation sale postponed",
I'm not sure what this means (besides no toy sales for now) but i figured I'd post it here


Somebody posted on Facebook a pic of a sign that said they were delayed pending court approval.
Re: KB Toys to Possibly Make a Return to US (1947565)
Posted by o.supreme on March 22nd, 2018 @ 1:22pm CDT
Possibly also waiting for any standard promotions/coupons to expire. Once things start to go on clearance, all bets are off. The TRU (as of yesterday at least), even still had their list of weekly activities still posted through the end of April.
Re: KB Toys to Possibly Make a Return to US (1947614)
Posted by spiderbob007 on March 22nd, 2018 @ 5:34pm CDT
I guess we can't believe TRU's corporate press releases. My TRU in Arlington, Texas had a sign, on the sliding door where you could not see behind their window advertising when the door opened, that stated: "Attention All ToysRUs Customers: We understand there may have been reports of our liquidation sale starting today. We apologize for any confusion the media may have conveyed on our liquidation sale starting date, however, we do not have confirmation as to when the liquidation sale will be[sic] begin. Please check back with us for further information and updates." They also had a sign stating that they were hiring; and there were probably more staff at this location than I have ever seen.

Even in death, TRU disappoints again...
Re: KB Toys to Possibly Make a Return to US (1947639)
Posted by fenrir72 on March 22nd, 2018 @ 8:46pm CDT
Re: KB Toys to Possibly Make a Return to US (1947644)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on March 22nd, 2018 @ 9:15pm CDT
fenrir72 wrote:https://apnews.com/a2432730bbaf4717a52bd8bb897125d1

TRU founder dies.


Is it just me, or the bad things are snowballing at a ridiculous pace for TrU and everything surrounding it? I can call it karma... Or life is indeed a bitch. :shock:
Re: KB Toys to Possibly Make a Return to US (1947677)
Posted by Bounti76 on March 23rd, 2018 @ 2:11am CDT
Thanks to site owner Seibertron himself, we've been pointed in the direction of an L.A. Times article detailing an effort to save a majority of Toys R Us stores in the U.S., spearheaded by MGA Entertainment Inc.'s CEO and majority owner, Isaac Larian. MGA Entertainment Inc. is best known for it's line of Bratz dolls, whose entrance into the market dominated by Mattel's Barbie line was once thought foolish, until the line took a good chunk out of Barbies' share of the fashion doll market. The businessman is leading an effort to save over half of Toys R Us locations by pledging US$200 million, and trying to raise the rest of the US$800 million needed through a crowdfunding effort.

"I'm very hopeful" about salvaging hundreds of the stores, Larian said. "I am more than 85% to 90% sure I can get [the buyout] funded."

Saving at least part of Toys R Us' operations not only would benefit Larian's company — which noted it was not financially involved in Larian's effort — but also rival toy makers such as El Segundo-based Mattel Inc., Hasbro Inc. and several smaller toy manufacturers.

"People say that if there is no Toys R Us another retailer will pick up the slack. I don't think so because they don't have the room," Larian said.

Major retailers with large toy departments, such as Walmart and Target, carry about 3,000 fewer items on shelves than Toys R Us stores, said Jim Silver, editor in chief of toy-review site TTPM.com.


Larian is hoping to raise the needed money by May 28th, and if you feel inclined, you can help at the website http://www.savetoysrus.com, or by clicking the image below

Image

What do you think of his effort to save the beleagured toy maker? Let us know below, and stay tuned to Seibertron.com for the latest news!
Re: KB Toys to Possibly Make a Return to US (1947686)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on March 23rd, 2018 @ 4:52am CDT
Even if the toy stores will have a different names than Toys R Us, at least so many jobs will be saved. Plus, children and collectors will not be screwed.

Let's hope that they will succeed and the administration for the next stores will be more competent.
Re: KB Toys to Possibly Make a Return to US (1947690)
Posted by dragons on March 23rd, 2018 @ 5:19am CDT
Well that’s good maybe Walmart should have offers buy them out at least Walmart will have decent selection for once and bigger selection possibly friendlier customer service
Re: KB Toys to Possibly Make a Return to US (1947692)
Posted by kurthy on March 23rd, 2018 @ 5:36am CDT
I love that a billionaire has started a GoFundMe page so that he can get money to buy the store that sells his toys. He's not giving stock to people that contribute, he's just sending them a pin. ;)^ No different than Bain Capital.
Re: KB Toys to Possibly Make a Return to US (1947693)
Posted by spiderbob007 on March 23rd, 2018 @ 5:49am CDT
From the gofundme site: "Be advised that this is not a donation to a charitable cause, and there is no tax deduction available. It is a donation to a potential commercial venture. The funds raised would be added to other capital being gathered by the potential purchasers of some or all of Toys“R”Us. A donation to this campaign doesn't qualify you to claim equity in any potential acquisition; it simply means you want future generations to be Toys“R”Us kids.

Therefore, before donating, please note that there is no guarantee that the offer to purchase Toys“R”Us described above will be made or accepted. You are donating “at your own risk.” If your donation is not used to achieve the purchase of Toys“R”Us in some form, it will be returned to you."

Granted if TRU wasn't used as a debt shield by venture capitalists the company wouldn't be in the situation it is now, but if it had real value it would have several suitors with cash in hand and not this attempt by a billionaire to ensure his cash cow had a field to graze.
Re: KB Toys to Possibly Make a Return to US (1947694)
Posted by Yotsuyasan on March 23rd, 2018 @ 5:56am CDT
If this guy is at all serious, instead of croud funding a "Save Toys 'Я' Us" campaign offering token crap rewards to people he is asking to invest in his business venture, why not strike a deal with the people trying to bring KB back? Think how much easier it might be if they combined efforts, bought up TRU locations, and rebranded them? And then it will be done with real business partners rather than trying to get thousands of average people to invest in their business in exchange for a bumper sticker or a pin.
Re: KB Toys to Possibly Make a Return to US (1947707)
Posted by reluctantyouth on March 23rd, 2018 @ 8:16am CDT
This is a really really stupid gesture...I wouldn't give this guy a nickel. I wish Amazon would just buy out TRU or at least some of its stores.
Re: KB Toys to Possibly Make a Return to US (1947710)
Posted by Bun-Bun on March 23rd, 2018 @ 8:28am CDT
Echoing everything the last couple posters have said.

This is a snake oil salesman preying on peoples nostalgia-clouded emotions.

Great job advertising on your site to help him bilk people.

*edit
If your donation is not used to achieve the purchase of Toys“R”Us in some form, it will be returned to you."

Oh boy. They could buy 1 store in Nowheresville Idaho and say "Hey we saved TRU in some form!"
What a buncha crap.
TRU as a physical place is dead. It's sad but you need to move on to the next stage of grieving.
Re: KB Toys to Possibly Make a Return to US (1947723)
Posted by o.supreme on March 23rd, 2018 @ 10:03am CDT
Wow I've never really seen such an effort to save any business before, it is inspiring, even if it doesn't work out, which I hope it does.
Re: KB Toys to Possibly Make a Return to US (1947724)
Posted by Gunmetal on March 23rd, 2018 @ 10:05am CDT
Meh, I still chucked in a few bucks.

Some thoughts:
1) $5 isn't bad for a bumper sticker representing something I care about. How much do some people spend on loot box subscriptions?

2) Even if only half of that $200M up front is his own, that's still about 10% of his entire net worth. Granted, 10% of my own net worth is nowhere near that, but it's still more than I'd just toss away.
This guy, an immigrant, took a risk and succeeded in the declining 21st century toy industry in a field with an established, dominant competitor. That's like if Gobots were still around today, but also didn't start until 1986 and the 1983 video game crash didn't happen.

3) Let's face it: this is a world where Wall Street, Silicon Valley, Hollywood, and the oil industry exist. If money is all you care about, you don't choose to sell toys.
Re: KB Toys to Possibly Make a Return to US (1947732)
Posted by ScottyP on March 23rd, 2018 @ 11:03am CDT
I think I'd rather donate to a charity.
Re: KB Toys to Possibly Make a Return to US (1947737)
Posted by Va'al on March 23rd, 2018 @ 11:11am CDT
For those of you who have been waiting on various Toys R Us stores to start their liquidation sales, though we only have confirmation for the US side of the chain (in the UK, for example, other conditions apply), Friday March 23rd, 2018 seems to the be the day in which most US stores should start their liquidation sales, according to sources such as USA Today. The liquidation process was supposed to begin yesterday, but was apparently delayed while waiting for the bankruptcy judge to sign off on the process.

USA Today wrote:Toys R Us delayed the start of liquidation sales until Friday because attorneys were still preparing a court filing for the bankruptcy judge to sign off on the process, said a person with knowledge of the company’s deliberations.


While most Toys R Us locations in the US begin their nationwide liquidation process, a movement has also begun by MGA Entertainment (makers of Bratz, L.O.L. dolls, and Little Tykes) to save Toys R Us, which we reported on in the past 24 hours. More information about the #savetoysrus movement can be found right here on Seibertron.com.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image


Several of our fellow Transformers fans have reported that some Toys R Us locations have not started their liquidation process yet. Adam Myrick and Action Figure Insider have both shared that specific stores still have signs posted that the liquidation process has not yet begun. If you are traveling a long distance to get to a Toys R Store, we advise that you call ahead to verify whether or not that specific store has started their liquidation sales process yet.

Image


Let us know what your local store is up to, what deals you were able to find, and how this is affecting the area in which you usually shop and look for Transformers, or if you're directly involved as an employee of the store, by joining the Energon Pub discussion.
Re: KB Toys to Possibly Make a Return to US (1947738)
Posted by Megatron Wolf on March 23rd, 2018 @ 11:26am CDT
Id rahter fund KB toys revival than save TRU, hate to say it but TRU needs to go and a new store with new owners & management need to come in. Also in case anyone is thinking about going to TRU for the sale dont bother, transformers and other similar stuff is only 10% off & lego is 5% off. Not worth it if you ask me, feel like TRU is just trying to take advantage of us one last time before it dies.
Re: KB Toys to Possibly Make a Return to US (1947742)
Posted by o.supreme on March 23rd, 2018 @ 11:32am CDT
TRU 10% off still doesn't compete with Walmart & Target. I'm basically looking for any exclusive item (not just Transformers) that I can get anywhere else. TRU has a few, but timing is critical. Not sure if the gofundme will succeed or not, but in any event, if it does, I'm sure any surviving TRU would be very different form what we have now, for the better most likely.
Re: KB Toys to Possibly Make a Return to US (1947750)
Posted by Gunmetal on March 23rd, 2018 @ 12:25pm CDT
ScottyP wrote:I think I'd rather donate to a charity.

I do that too ;)^

Don't get me wrong, there's a reason I only tossed in $5. No one should give more than (or even equal to) what they would give to a charitable cause they believe in.

But hey, if any of you are going to throw stones over not giving every last dollar toward saving the whales and curing cancer, I have 2 words:

Earth Wars [-(
Re: KB Toys to Possibly Make a Return to US (1947751)
Posted by claborn on March 23rd, 2018 @ 12:34pm CDT
this is the transformers section in the Burbank,CA TrU on march 23rd 2018 10am on the first day of liquidation.

this is also how this section has looked most of the 3 years i browsed here. so theres that....
Re: KB Toys to Possibly Make a Return to US (1947763)
Posted by Ironhidensh on March 23rd, 2018 @ 1:34pm CDT
It's time to let go.

TRU was in trouble before the leveraged buyout, and if saved, they will be in trouble again.

The brick and mortar toy store is on life support, and has no place in the modern consumer world beyond local owned specialty shops. This plan to "save" it..... well, it sounds a bit shady.
Re: KB Toys to Possibly Make a Return to US (1947767)
Posted by o.supreme on March 23rd, 2018 @ 1:56pm CDT
Ironhidensh wrote:The brick and mortar toy store is on life support, and has no place in the modern consumer world


I strongly disagree. If you absolutely trust the interwebs for all your purchases without reservation that's fine. I use it myself when I have to. But personally, Id always rather See/handle *know what I'm getting* in real life, what I'm going to purchase before I do.
Re: KB Toys to Possibly Make a Return to US (1947771)
Posted by Ironhidensh on March 23rd, 2018 @ 2:18pm CDT
o.supreme wrote:
Ironhidensh wrote:The brick and mortar toy store is on life support, and has no place in the modern consumer world


I strongly disagree. If you absolutely trust the interwebs for all your purchases without reservation that's fine. I use it myself when I have to. But personally, Id always rather See/handle *know what I'm getting* in real life, what I'm going to purchase before I do.



I get that, and I ev3n respect and understand the sentiment. The issue is that this whpay of thinking is in the vast minority, and shrinking daily. As the older generations shop less, and the younger generations shop more, online will be the way to go. Only massive corporations like Walmart will survive, and even they will have do make massive adjustments.
Re: KB Toys to Possibly Make a Return to US (1947781)
Posted by Gunmetal on March 23rd, 2018 @ 2:40pm CDT
Ironhidensh wrote:
o.supreme wrote:
Ironhidensh wrote:The brick and mortar toy store is on life support, and has no place in the modern consumer world


I strongly disagree. If you absolutely trust the interwebs for all your purchases without reservation that's fine. I use it myself when I have to. But personally, Id always rather See/handle *know what I'm getting* in real life, what I'm going to purchase before I do.



I get that, and I ev3n respect and understand the sentiment. The issue is that this whpay of thinking is in the vast minority, and shrinking daily. As the older generations shop less, and the younger generations shop more, online will be the way to go. Only massive corporations like Walmart will survive, and even they will have do make massive adjustments.
I agree that shrinking and transformation will happen, but I don't think it will disappear entirely. Business interests, nostalgia, and the desire for "hands on" always seem to keep the online universe from true monopoly.

Look at digital media: that was supposed to replace physical copies long ago, yet DVD and even Blu-Ray sales continue, probably because, besides the "collection aspect", DVDs don't require subscriptions, can't be throttled back, and won't be taken away over a rights dispute.

Need any more reason to not underestimate old ways?
https://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/transformers-original-television-series-score-vinyl-repress-announced/40874/

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers REIGN STARSCREAM #2 RI-B 1:25 IDW Comics 2008 Movie Sequel 2RIB"
Transformers REIGN ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers MOVIE PREQUEL #1 Cvr B IDW Comics 2007 1B (CA) Figeruoa 230323A"
Transformers MOVIE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #49 Marvel Comics 1989 (W) Budiansky (A/CA) Delbo 210422A"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers ESCALATION #3 Cvr B IDW Comics 2007 3B (W) Furman (CA) Scherwinski"
Transformers ESCAL ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #5 2nd ptg Cvr C Laughter Image Comics 2023 1123IM810 (CA) Howard"
VOID RIVALS #5 2nd ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #42 Marvel Comics 1988 (W) Budiansky (A/CA) Delbo 210422B"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS BEAST WARS #9 Cvr A IDW Comics 2021 AUG210583 9A (CA) Burcham"
TRANSFORMERS BEAST ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #33 Marvel Comics 1987 (W) Parkhouse (CA) Vess 231222R"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #2 3rd ptg Image Comics 2023 0823IM820 (CA) Flaviano (W) Kirkman"
VOID RIVALS #2 3rd ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS BEAST WARS #1 Cvr A IDW Comics 2021 DEC200412 1A (A/CA) Burcham"
TRANSFORMERS BEAST ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Infestation 2 TRANSFORMERS #1 Cvr B IDW Comics 2012 1B (CA) Ramondelli 230124"
Infestation 2 TRAN ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #1 2nd ptg Cvr D Image Comics 2023 0923IM827 (CA) LaRosa"
TRANSFORMERS #1 2n ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers ONGOING #24 Cvr A IDW Comics 2011 24A (W) Costa (CA) Ramondelli"
Transformers ONGOI ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers ROBOTS IN DISGUISE #36 IDW Comics 2014 Days of Deception 200211b"
Transformers ROBOT ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #349 - Agent of Chaos
Twincast / Podcast #349:
"Agent of Chaos"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, May 4th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers MPM04 Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Kramer Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Battleslash" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of the Primes Voyager Class Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Twin Twist and Flameout" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Slug" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Autobot Outback" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Swoop" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Robots in Disguise Combiner Force 1-Step Changer Soundwave" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Peterman Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Wheeljack" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight -- Knight Armor Turbo Changer Optimus Prime" on AMAZON