Sunday, August 14th, 2016 3:05pm CDT

Categories: Cartoon News, People News, Digital Media News, Interviews
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 29,697

Via a number of different sources, we have some behind the scenes tidbits concerning the Machinima Transformers: Combiner Wars animated short series, currently airing on go90 and the Machinima YouTube channel every week. The first is an interview with Amy Johnston, the voice of Maxima in episode 1 'The Fall', via ComicBookMovie. Snippet below, and full piece here!

CBM: How did you get involved with Combiner Wars?
Amy Johnston: "I got involved with Transformers: Combiner Wars through Bat in the Sun whom I had worked with previously on their show "Super Power Beatdown".

CBM: Were you a big Transformers fan growing up?
Johnston: "I have definitely been a Transformer's fan so when I found out about the role of Maxima I was super excited! How cool to have my own Transformer character! I love her!"

CBM: How did you find the right voice for Maximia?
Jonston: "Maxima was described to me as a strong female character who had a relationship wtih Windblade so I made sure to give her strength and passion yet retain a femininity about her."

The second is some further insight into the series with producer Eric Calderon, via ComicBook.com, discussing a number of aspects on the creation of the characters, their interactions and the story as a whole. Full piece here, and a selection below!

Is there a challenge that's inherent to doing something like this? When you look at web series, you have a lot of like "Okay, we just grew up this property that you like" and it's mostly played for laughs. Is there a challenge to doing this seriously and not feeling like another kind of web series that's trying to take a fun?

The great thing is, both Machinima and Hasbro, they have never used that word with me. They said "You are making a series." They always put it at a higher level, and the show is budgeted, and distributed in a very sophisticated way, that to me, is not like a webseries at all.

So I think about this as an adaptation, I just go "Hey, it's my job as a creator to make the best work I can" and I don't think about "Oh it's only for this category so let's have fun", I want to tell this combiner wars story, and I'm going to tell it in 40 minutes. That's almost a movie, so I really treat it like that. There's act breaks, there's a solid structure to the character development, there's resolution. That's what I'm worried about.

Credit(s): CBM, ComicBook.com

This article was last modified on Sunday, August 14th, 2016 3:46pm CDT

Re: Machinima Transformers Combiner Wars Interviews: Amy Johnston / Maxima, Producer Eric Calderon (1815251)
Posted by Galactic Prime on August 14th, 2016 @ 4:17pm CDT
Funny how neither mentioned what a shitty job they both did.
Re: Machinima Transformers Combiner Wars Interviews: Amy Johnston / Maxima, Producer Eric Calderon (1815252)
Posted by Kurona on August 14th, 2016 @ 4:18pm CDT
Galactic Prime wrote:Funny how neither mentioned what a shitty job they both did.

Generally interviews don't do that, no
Re: Machinima Transformers Combiner Wars Interviews: Amy Johnston / Maxima, Producer Eric Calderon (1815297)
Posted by BumbleDouche on August 14th, 2016 @ 5:47pm CDT

:lol:
Re: Machinima Transformers Combiner Wars Interviews: Amy Johnston / Maxima, Producer Eric Calderon (1815301)
Posted by Deadput on August 14th, 2016 @ 6:10pm CDT
Lol interviewing the actor who's character only had 2-3 lines and died in the first episode.

Cliffjumper in Prime lasted longer then her and had more character and that's saying something for his brief screentime.
Re: Machinima Transformers Combiner Wars Interviews: Amy Johnston / Maxima, Producer Eric Calderon (1815310)
Posted by UltraPrimal on August 14th, 2016 @ 6:47pm CDT
For a second there I was confusing her with Amy Jo Johnson, aka the pink Power Ranger.
Re: Machinima Transformers Combiner Wars Interviews: Amy Johnston / Maxima, Producer Eric Calderon (1815358)
Posted by Braker on August 14th, 2016 @ 8:39pm CDT
"So, how does it feel playing a character who only existed for around 6 seconds?"
Re: Machinima Transformers Combiner Wars Interviews: Amy Johnston / Maxima, Producer Eric Calderon (1815389)
Posted by hinomars19 on August 14th, 2016 @ 11:14pm CDT
Kurona wrote:

Generally interviews don't do that, no

Which makes doing them in the first place oddly redundant.
Re: Machinima Transformers Combiner Wars Interviews: Amy Johnston / Maxima, Producer Eric Calderon (1815418)
Posted by Kurona on August 15th, 2016 @ 6:51am CDT
I feel really bad for her tbh. She says she's a fan of Transformers and was excited to get the role... how much do you think her heart sank when she saw her character got, like, 10 seconds of screentime and even less lines?
Re: Machinima Transformers Combiner Wars Interviews: Amy Johnston / Maxima, Producer Eric Calderon (1815433)
Posted by william-james88 on August 15th, 2016 @ 8:38am CDT
hinomars19 wrote:
Kurona wrote:

Generally interviews don't do that, no

Which makes doing them in the first place oddly redundant.

The point of interviews surrounding a media projectthats being released is to promote the product and thats it. Like when a celebrity goes on a talk show, its to promote something. You wont learn about how bad they think a film they are promoting is. Did Ben Affleck ever say in an interview that Batman V Superman was terrible? No.
Re: Machinima Transformers Combiner Wars Interviews: Amy Johnston / Maxima, Producer Eric Calderon (1815437)
Posted by Xarmech on August 15th, 2016 @ 8:47am CDT
Windblade has a relationship with Maxima? Define "relationship".
Re: Machinima Transformers Combiner Wars Interviews: Amy Johnston / Maxima, Producer Eric Calderon (1815449)
Posted by o.supreme on August 15th, 2016 @ 9:34am CDT
It's already been touched on. But the character of maxima is onscreen for a couple of minuets, (trying to give benefit of the doubt ). But she only had one line of dialogue, and a few grunts & groans. Not sure how the audition for that goes. Maybe she will appear in a flashback later, but considering there is a total runtime of about 40 minuets across 8 episodes, I don't think they'll have time for flashbacks

Not trying to be harsh but...

1.”Gahh…ahh” (getting smashed against a wall)
2. “What needs to be done!”
3. Guhhh…(dies)

How many people auditioned for this role?
How long did it take to record?

I'm sure in truth she is very talented, this was just not a really good opportunity to hear her skills as an actor.
Re: Machinima Transformers Combiner Wars Interviews: Amy Johnston / Maxima, Producer Eric Calderon (1815522)
Posted by King Kuuga on August 15th, 2016 @ 3:15pm CDT

"Distributed" in a very sophisticated way that is not like a webseries? Yeah, that's not this show. I think he's thinking of something else.
Re: Machinima Transformers Combiner Wars Interviews: Amy Johnston / Maxima, Producer Eric Calderon (1815553)
Posted by Galactic Prime on August 15th, 2016 @ 4:25pm CDT
william-james88 wrote:
hinomars19 wrote:
Kurona wrote:

Generally interviews don't do that, no

Which makes doing them in the first place oddly redundant.

I think the sarcasm might have been lost on you :)

I think we all know why they do these interviews.

My point was the job they did was shitty, regardless of the spin they try to put on it.
Re: Machinima Transformers Combiner Wars Interviews: Amy Johnston / Maxima, Producer Eric Calderon (1815559)
Posted by Tyrannacon on August 15th, 2016 @ 6:42pm CDT

I'm definitely trying to reserve my major judgement until I've seen the whole thing in entirety. I don't mind reading and talking about first impressions though.
Re: Machinima Transformers Combiner Wars Interviews: Amy Johnston / Maxima, Producer Eric Calderon (1815626)
Posted by Galactic Prime on August 16th, 2016 @ 7:04am CDT
Tyrannacon wrote:I don't think/feel her performance was the issue to me personally. I think the issue here is more how the character was used than how the actor portrayed the character and how she was performed though. Take the actress who did the line's for the Mistress of Flame character, I feel her performance was particularly wooden and no feeling in. Like the lines were just being read with nothing behind them, but then I wonder if it is simply just part of the character.

Your first mistake here is calling these people actresses, they aren't professionals. These people Machinima used are all Facebook losers with no Voice Talent or professional work.
Re: Machinima Transformers Combiner Wars Interviews: Amy Johnston / Maxima, Producer Eric Calderon (1815630)
Posted by Va'al on August 16th, 2016 @ 7:21am CDT
Galactic Prime wrote:

This kind of comment is uncalled for. Criticism of the series is fine, but insults towards cast, creators, or other people involved is not welcome here.
Re: Machinima Transformers Combiner Wars Interviews: Amy Johnston / Maxima, Producer Eric Calderon (1815636)
Posted by Kurona on August 16th, 2016 @ 7:53am CDT
Dr Va'al wrote:
Galactic Prime wrote:

Not to mention that quite a few of them -are- qualified actors/actresses.
Re: Machinima Transformers Combiner Wars Interviews: Amy Johnston / Maxima, Producer Eric Calderon (1815646)
Posted by Tyrannacon on August 16th, 2016 @ 8:34am CDT
Kurona wrote:
Dr Va'al wrote:
Galactic Prime wrote:

Not to mention that quite a few of them -are- qualified actors/actresses.

Thanks Va'al and Kurona. I appreciate the help here.

Anyone that performs in any kind of work produced for entertainment (professionally/independently) is considered to be playing a part which is very much defined as acting. Even parts with no lines and in the background is "acting" actually. Whether or not people are doing it for big budget or no budget, and still are playing a part is acting. They are actors whether professional or independent here. It's a role they are playing and that's what acting is loosely defined as.

What I said wasn't a mistake though, and frankly I am troubled by your lack of respect here regarding people that are trying to entertain others, such as us. That's a hard thing to do for even seasoned people. You can have issues with the performance of course, but lacking respect almost personally for the people behind it when you didn't like their ability isn't exactly a good attitude itself. It is basically an ad hominem attack against these people and that's not good.
Re: Machinima Transformers Combiner Wars Interviews: Amy Johnston / Maxima, Producer Eric Calderon (1815659)
Posted by Va'al on August 16th, 2016 @ 9:14am CDT
Episode 3 'The Duel' of the Hasbro / Machinima animated series Transformers Combiner Wars is now available to watch via the Verizon go90 app - and shortly for non-US fans on the Machinima YouTube channel too! UPDATE: If you are a non-US viewer, the episode is now also available for you, check it out embedded below.

Keep your optics tuned to Seibertron.com for an episode review soon - and read through our thoughts on episodes one and two in the meantime, too.

Re: Machinima Transformers Combiner Wars Interviews: Amy Johnston / Maxima, Producer Eric Calderon (1815662)
Posted by 1984forever on August 16th, 2016 @ 9:30am CDT
I like Windblade as a Nail trying to prevent more war, though the duel was meh.

The good thing is that this series brings Hasbro one step closer to the realization that only a G1 reboot can bring this franchise back to it's former glory.

Buy "Transformers Authentics Grimlock Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Arcee Action Figure Set" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Premier Edition Deluxe Barricade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Platinum Edition Trypticon Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Premier Edition Deluxe Strafe" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #271 - Meh-pisode
"Meh-pisode"
Posted: Friday, March 5th, 2021

Buy "Transformers Lost Light 13B Bludgeon Nick Roche Variant Cover IDW D8-18" on EBAY
Buy "transformers animated sentinel prime" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Reveal the Shield 'G2' Optimus Prime" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers War for Cybertron Siege Red Alert Complete" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 61 Sentinel Prime" on EBAY
Buy "Used Build A Bear Transformers Optimus Prime Bear Mask Flips Over Head 17'" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers E3479 Generations War for Cybertron: Siege Leader Class WFC-S13 Ul…" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Siege War For Cybertron Prowl" on EBAY