Netflix The Toys That Made Us Series First Half Now Streaming #TTTMU

Netflix The Toys That Made Us Series First Half Now Streaming #TTTMU

Saturday, December 23rd, 2017 12:59am CST

Category: Digital Media News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 16,013

Via the official Facebook page for The Toys That Made Us, the eight part documentary on the leading brands and franchises in the 1980s (mostly in the US, but somewhat globally too), we now have confirmation that the first four episodes have been released for streaming on Netflix!

As a reminder, the first half of the series focuses on Star Wars, Barbie, GI Joe and Masters of the Universe - Transformers will be part of the latter four episodes, to be released soon. Can't wait still? Take a look at both the trailer for the series, and some quick answers from show creator Brian Volk-Weiss about the rationale behind the interviews and features (focusing on the example of Optimus Prime), including the ones that led Seibertron himself into the show! Are you watching? Have you watched it? Let us know in the Energon Pub discussion boards!

Transformers News: Netflix The Toys That Made Us Series First Half Now Streaming

Credit(s): TTTMU Facebook

Re: Netflix The Toys That Made Us Series First Half Now Streaming #TTTMU (1927809)
Posted by no-one on December 23rd, 2017 @ 8:41am CST
Watched the first two episodes last night. We enjoyed the format and got our learn on. I was hoping for more in depth looks at various collections though. Still a very enjoyable fun documentary series and I can't wait for a peek at certain site owners collection!
Re: Netflix The Toys That Made Us Series First Half Now Streaming #TTTMU (1927817)
Posted by Cobotron on December 23rd, 2017 @ 10:00am CST
Just watched the first one, Star Wars, and really liked it. I can tell this whole seres is gonna rum ta tum tum on my nostalgia drum. I played with all these toys in my youth. AND BEYOND. Even ol Barb when in a pinch.

Loved the Professor of The Sociology of Star Wars' spiel on the human need to touch or hold something physical that represents something intangible. He compared it to physical religious objects bringing people closer to their beliefs. Brought me comfort in a time I'm doubting my collecting habits.

Excited to watch more. Especially Transformers.
Re: Netflix The Toys That Made Us Series First Half Now Streaming #TTTMU (1927880)
Posted by Burn on December 23rd, 2017 @ 5:31pm CST
carytheone wrote:I was hoping for more in depth looks at various collections though.

Same, but when you stop and think about it, that's not what the series is about, it's the history of the toy lines. Seeing a collection (like Rancho Obi-Wan) is an added bonus.

Like that weird naked chick on the seat behind the former Mattel boss. :-P
Re: Netflix The Toys That Made Us Series First Half Now Streaming #TTTMU (1927896)
Posted by no-one on December 23rd, 2017 @ 7:48pm CST
Burn wrote:Like that weird naked chick on the seat behind the former Mattel boss. :-P
Yeah, no shit. We've been scratching our head trying to figure out just what the hell is that?

No but you're right, a history lesson was better than just a walk through someone's collection. It wasn't just a history lesson, but a how these things came to be and what it took to make them a reality.

Been a fun ride and I'm totally stoked for the rest... hurry up Netflix!
Re: Netflix The Toys That Made Us Series First Half Now Streaming #TTTMU (1927904)
Posted by Burn on December 23rd, 2017 @ 8:42pm CST
carytheone wrote:I just literally finished episode 4. Good times. He-Man was great but all the GI Joe feels. I forgot just how deep I was in Joe.

I don't know how big Joe was in Australia back then, I know I don't recall seeing them.

He-Man? Yeah, we had plenty of He-Man!

I think the best parts were how the designers came up with some of the figures, with a number of them being done through kitbashing!
Re: Netflix The Toys That Made Us Series First Half Now Streaming #TTTMU (1927915)
Posted by Cobotron on December 23rd, 2017 @ 9:41pm CST
Burn wrote:

I would think you guys would have more likely had Action Man, no?

'Cause, you know. G.I. Joe "A Real American Hero".
Re: Netflix The Toys That Made Us Series First Half Now Streaming #TTTMU (1927941)
Posted by ImAWalkingCorpse on December 24th, 2017 @ 3:23am CST
I watched the GI Joe one, I knew a lot about them, but I learned some stuff.
Re: Netflix The Toys That Made Us Series First Half Now Streaming #TTTMU (1927950)
Posted by Burn on December 24th, 2017 @ 5:49am CST
Cobotron wrote:
Burn wrote:

I would think you guys would have more likely had Action Man, no?

'Cause, you know. G.I. Joe "A Real American Hero".

Action Man (the greatest hero of them all), yes, but he was more a 90's thing.

I really can't recall seeing them in store around here. Star Wars, He-Man, Transformers definitely. My first real exposure to G.I. Joe was the Action Force comics that were backups to the Transformers UK comics.
Re: Netflix The Toys That Made Us Series First Half Now Streaming #TTTMU (1927956)
Posted by no-one on December 24th, 2017 @ 7:42am CST
Here's an interesting read, an interview with the creator.

https://www.inverse.com/article/39590-t ... -interview
Re: Netflix The Toys That Made Us Series First Half Now Streaming #TTTMU (1927960)
Posted by ScottyP on December 24th, 2017 @ 8:25am CST
I think the best part of the first four episodes was the milquetoast former Kenner lawyer.
Re: Netflix The Toys That Made Us Series First Half Now Streaming #TTTMU (1927965)
Posted by Cobotron on December 24th, 2017 @ 8:55am CST
carytheone wrote:
Yeah, no ****. We've been scratching our head trying to figure out just what the hell is that?
:lol: :lol: :lol: I finished the other 3 episodes, and saw what you guys are talking about. My best assessment of the "object" is that it appears to be, and I use the term loosely, "art". :lol: :roll:

Really enjoyed the whole series so far. Just cool and fun insight into all those toys I spent hours of my childhood free time pouring my imagination into. Neat insights into the industry too. The toy industry is so crazy cut throat!

And yeah Scotty, that Kenner lawyer was great! :APPLAUSE:
Re: Netflix The Toys That Made Us Series First Half Now Streaming #TTTMU (1927969)
Posted by no-one on December 24th, 2017 @ 9:08am CST
Cobotron wrote:
carytheone wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: I finished the other 3 episodes, and saw what you guys are talking about. My best assessment of the "object" is that it appears to be, and I use the term loose, ly, "art". :lol: :roll:
Yeah I would assume art, but I also think it is supposed to be or look like the VP. I mean it's eye catching and someone wanted it in the background.

GI Joe was the best for me.

That lawyer was the real hero and I love how much he hated the new deal with Lucas, I mean he could barely even look at it :lol:
Re: Netflix The Toys That Made Us Series First Half Now Streaming #TTTMU (1927981)
Posted by ScottyP on December 24th, 2017 @ 11:40am CST

Although what I feel like I learned about MotU is that some clueless dudes at Mattel, each of them a varying degree of terrible in some way, bs'd their way into the whole thing on accident. Fun to listen to the stories but none of those guys came across as someone I'd want to be friends with - although I do realize the producers could have made that happen on purpose through the magic of editing so don't take me too seriously/don't assume I'm just hatin' on MotU :)
Re: Netflix The Toys That Made Us Series First Half Now Streaming #TTTMU (1927987)
Posted by Cobotron on December 24th, 2017 @ 12:42pm CST
ScottyP wrote:I really enjoyed the story about how Battle Cat came to be as well during the MotU episode. "F-- it, put a saddle on it." :lol:

Yeah! That was hilarious. And they did seem like a bunch of jerkies that fell bass ackwards into a pile of gold. :lol:

The MOTU episode really hit my feels. Around new years I'm headed back to Mom's house, and helping her start the arduous process of trimming down the stuff in her house in an effort to move her closer to me and my fam. On the To-Do list is, head to the attic and go through the toys that are up there. I'm really looking forward to reclaiming my MOTU collection now!

There's a shirt-ton of Joes up there too, but.... man, I have a tale of Joe toys that is just TLDR. #-o
Re: Netflix The Toys That Made Us Series First Half Now Streaming #TTTMU (1928008)
Posted by Burn on December 24th, 2017 @ 4:30pm CST
Cobotron wrote:I'm really looking forward to reclaiming my MOTU collection now!

Hopefully they're in one piece.

When I grabbed mine last year, a couple of them had the bands split that connected the legs to the waist.
Re: Netflix The Toys That Made Us Series First Half Now Streaming #TTTMU (1928190)
Posted by o.supreme on December 26th, 2017 @ 9:51am CST
I found watching these with my kids was a little awkward at times though. The Mattel guys for MOTU cursed up a storm. Also my 12 year old daughter wanted to watch the Barbie one, so we got a few minuets in, and...well...lets just say I had to do a lot of parental explaining...jeez I never knew Barbie's history was so ....*unwholesome* anyway...

Of course I've never been interested in girl toys, for obvious reasons, but I do recall the "Barbie and the Rockers" release in the late 80's and felt it was a complete rip-off taking advantage of Jem (the opposite of how it was portrayed in the documentary...) I guess perception really Is reality for some people heh...

I cant wait for the Transformers and the remainder of the episodes to be released.
Re: Netflix The Toys That Made Us Series First Half Now Streaming #TTTMU (1929366)
Posted by Va'al on January 3rd, 2018 @ 5:42am CST
For those of you keeping tabs, or just wondering about the new Netflix series The Toys That Made Us - focusing on eight toy brands that made a big impact in the 80s and their legacy - we have a small update from the official series' Facebook page.

The Transformers episode, which along with with Star Trek, LEGO, Hello Kitty will form the second half of season one, is currently in post-production - and will feature not only our very own Seibertron / Ryan Yzquierdo, but also movie director Michael Bay, and a whole roster of Transformers-related people, such as Cullen, Budiansky, and more! Additionally, we have an interview with show creator Brian Volk-Weiss explaining more in detail his intention with the show, and how he chose what he did for the series, courtesy of Fatherly. Stay with Seibertron.com to find out more about the actual release date of the next four episodes, and read an extract of the interview below!

You focus on the history of a different toy for each of the eight episodes. What did the process look like for picking which toys to focus on?

In picking the toys, we sort of created four categories that we would pay attention to when we were asking whether or not a toy belonged.

Category one: Are the toys still being made today? We didn’t want to look at a toy that was great for three years or even ten years and then went away. We wanted to be covering toys that were relevant 30, or, in some cases, even 50 years ago and are still relevant today.

Category two: If there was a Mount Rushmore of toys, would this toy be selected? Could Optimus Prime be up there? Yeah, so that makes the cut. It means there needs to be a personality or a face.

Category three: Does the toy have a fanatical following? I wanted to find out the history of toys that had conventions where people were dressing up.

Category four: Is there a good story to tell? If there was a toy that became a hit and that was that, we didn’t want to cover it.

Why do you think toys can play such a strong role in shaping us even as adults?

Everyone has an imagination and toys allow you to utilize your imagination more than watching TV or reading books ever could. When I was a kid, there were no toy versions of the ships in Star Trek so I would make my own out of LEGOs. And eventually, I started designing my own Star Trek ships with LEGOs. When I started drawing Star Trek ships in eighth grade, I’m drawing the ones I designed as well as the ships from the show. I wouldn’t have done that without LEGO. Toys allow us to manifest our imagination in a physical way.

Re: Netflix The Toys That Made Us Series First Half Now Streaming #TTTMU (1929372)
Posted by Emerje on January 3rd, 2018 @ 7:28am CST

Emerje
Re: Netflix The Toys That Made Us Series First Half Now Streaming #TTTMU (1929384)
Posted by no-one on January 3rd, 2018 @ 8:47am CST
Emerje wrote:This series is actually very good. Highly recommended if you were born in the 80s or are curious about how these companies were run back in the day. Looking forward to the next round of episodes. The G.I. Joe and He-man episodes are my favorites so far, but even the Barbie episode was pretty fascinating.

Emerje
What if you were born in the 70's? ;)

Very excited for the next batch of episodes. They were not what I expected, but exceeded those expectations. Nice little documentary/history lesson. Mostly I just like looking at toys :POPCORN:

Oops, meant to drop this here (cause my wife was born in the 80's):

Re: Netflix The Toys That Made Us Series First Half Now Streaming #TTTMU (1929389)
Posted by Scrounge1984 on January 3rd, 2018 @ 9:21am CST
Like many others I really do like this series. It could've been very dull, but they made it very lively and I especially recommend the Star Wars episode.

Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight 1-Step Turbo Changer Cogman" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Deluxe Class Arcee Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Voyager Inferno Action Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #278 - The Return of Rodimus Prime
"The Return of Rodimus Prime"
Posted: Sunday, June 13th, 2021

Buy "Transformers Generations Starscream & Waspinator" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS PRIME BLIGHT Beast Hunters Cyberverse Legion 2013" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Prime Beast Hunters Deluxe Class Smokescreen Action Figure (" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Kingdom WFC RHINOX Voyager 6 inch Action figure" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Prime Grimwing Predacon Beast hunters Brand New" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Generations Voyager Decepticon Blitzwing complete w/extras" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Kingdom WFC RHINOX Voyager Figure IN HAND!! MIB" on EBAY