New 'Power of the Primes' Fan Vote Online in January 2017

Thursday, December 1st, 2016 12:42pm CST

Categories: Press Releases, Contests
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 43,564

In even further news today from Hasbro, we have a new announcement for the recently revealed third part to the Prime Wars trilogy, after Combiner Wars and Titans Return: Power of the Primes! There will be a new fan vote, an event that lets fans decide which Transformers character will become the next leader of Cybertron, led on Transformers.com from January 23, 2017. More information to be found in the press release below!

HASBRO LETS FANS SHAPE THE FUTURE OF THE TRANSFORMERS FRANCHISE WITH THE “POWER OF THE PRIMES” FAN VOTE

The fans can decide which Transformers character will become the next leader of Cybertron!

PAWTUCKET, R.I., December 1, 2016 – Today Hasbro, Inc. (NASDAQ:HAS), announced the “Power of the Primes” fan vote, an upcoming event that will place the fate of Cybertron directly in the hands of Transformers fans around the globe. Beginning on January 23rd, 2017, fans will be able to visit Transformers.com to cast their vote to help determine which character will join the ranks of Optimus Prime, Rodimus Prime and other Cybertronian legends. The fan-voted Prime will be featured in the Transformers Generations toy line and brand’s Prime Wars Trilogy storytelling in 2018.

The Prime serves as leader of Cybertron, wields the immense power of the Matrix of Leadership and holds the fate of the Transformers universe in their hands. This leader is usually chosen directly by the Matrix of Leadership, but the “Power of the Primes” fan vote will put the fans in command and give them the power to light the darkest hour and choose the bot to lead Cybertron into a historic new era.

“Hasbro’s past Transformers fan votes have led to some of our most exciting characters, including Windblade, Victorion and next year’s Trypticon Titan,” said Tom Warner, Senior Vice President of the Transformers franchise at Hasbro. Our “Power of the Primes” fan vote will raise the stakes higher than ever. The Prime sets the tone for all things in the Transformers universe, and we’re excited to see which direction our fans want to take.”

The first round of voting will begin on January 23rd, when fans can visit Transformers.com to choose between three groups of candidates – Honor, Chaos and Order.

Honor: These legendary warriors will lead with honor and carry on the noble legacy of Optimus Prime.

Chaos: These powerful warlords will stop at nothing to become supreme leader of Cybertron, even if it means creating a chaotic world where only the strongest survive.

Order: These commanders vow to leave the Autobot and Decepticon factions in the past and unite Cybertron under a new order.

Four finalists will be chosen by the fans and revealed by Hasbro in late January. Fans can then have the final say by returning to Transformers.com to vote between February 1st and February 4th. The winning Prime will be officially unveiled during New York Toy Fair in February.

For additional information on the Power of the Primes fan vote, please visit TRANSFORMERS.COM or the official TRANSFORMERS Facebook page, Facebook.com/Transformers.

About Hasbro

Hasbro (NASDAQ: HAS) is a global play and entertainment company committed to Creating the World's Best Play Experiences. From toys and games to television, movies, digital gaming and consumer products, Hasbro offers a variety of ways for audiences to experience its iconic brands, including NERF, MY LITTLE PONY, TRANSFORMERS, PLAY-DOH, MONOPOLY, LITTLEST PET SHOP and MAGIC: THE GATHERING, as well as premier partner brands. The Company's Hasbro Studios and its film label, Allspark Pictures, are building its brands globally through great storytelling and content on all screens. Through its commitment to corporate social responsibility and philanthropy, Hasbro is helping to make the world a better place for children and their families. Learn more at www.hasbro.com, and follow us on Twitter (@Hasbro & @HasbroNews) and Instagram (@Hasbro).

Credit(s): Hasbro

Re: New 'Power of the Primes' Fan Vote Online in January 2017 (1844492)
Posted by Kurona on December 1st, 2016 @ 12:53pm CST
Oh gosh, we're going for THIS level?

Well... alright then. I'm gonna vote chaos 'cos I'm a bit sick of all the fan-built characters being Autobots.
Re: New 'Power of the Primes' Fan Vote Online in January 2017 (1844496)
Posted by Halfofme07 on December 1st, 2016 @ 1:12pm CST
Erm.... will this affect IDW storytelling? Good lord, I hope not.
Re: New 'Power of the Primes' Fan Vote Online in January 2017 (1844500)
Posted by Sigma Magnus on December 1st, 2016 @ 1:19pm CST
Well, this is...interesting...I really hope this goes well...
Re: New 'Power of the Primes' Fan Vote Online in January 2017 (1844501)
Posted by Deadput on December 1st, 2016 @ 1:20pm CST
So in story the Cybertronians either finally grow the bearings to remove Starscream from power, Scream himself stood down and someone is taking his place.

Or Sarscream is a goner.
Re: New 'Power of the Primes' Fan Vote Online in January 2017 (1844503)
Posted by Va'al on December 1st, 2016 @ 1:22pm CST
Halfofme07 wrote:Erm.... will this affect IDW storytelling? Good lord, I hope not.

So far, Combiner Wars was negligible other than the arrival of Victorion, Titans Return was actually quite enjoyable, and is being handled really well in TAAO - so I'm hopeful about Power of the Primes also having a decent mileage in the IDW comics. :D

Which, to be honest, have been sliding the Aligned Primes into their continuity for some time now, and Revolution just consolidated it further. :-?
Re: New 'Power of the Primes' Fan Vote Online in January 2017 (1844504)
Posted by Kurona on December 1st, 2016 @ 1:23pm CST

IDW's characterisations don't seem to line up with what is initially presented for the fan-built characters. So they'll likely try and do it in a way that doesn't interfere too much, like they did with Victorion.
Re: New 'Power of the Primes' Fan Vote Online in January 2017 (1844509)
Posted by MrBlack on December 1st, 2016 @ 1:35pm CST
Assuming this will effect the IDW comics:

As much as I've enjoyed Starscream as the ruler of Cybertron, I wouldn't mind seeing that storyline come to a head as long as it means further growth for the character and not just a return to form as a schemer pining for power out of his reach. Or, if he's one of the characters we can vote for, maybe this is a chance to cement his power.

This seems like an opportunity to grow the mythos the same way that the '86 movie did, especially if we're voting for a pre-existing character to take on the mantle of Prime. Victorion/Pyra Magna? Windblade? Ironhide?

The bottom line is, as always, that I'm cool with it as long as it doesn't interfere with Lost Light.
Re: New 'Power of the Primes' Fan Vote Online in January 2017 (1844512)
Posted by TF-fan kev777 on December 1st, 2016 @ 1:43pm CST
Hmmm bad, or at least awkward things tend to happen when you let the internet decide things. Hopefully they are looking at established characters and not creating a new one. If they go new, I'm calling my shot now. The newest prime will be...

Boaty McBoatface

Which would be okay seeing as we need more aquatic figures anyway.
Re: New 'Power of the Primes' Fan Vote Online in January 2017 (1844513)
Posted by Rysquad on December 1st, 2016 @ 1:47pm CST
I expect Chaos to win the first vote just because.
Re: New 'Power of the Primes' Fan Vote Online in January 2017 (1844515)
Posted by Sabrblade on December 1st, 2016 @ 2:02pm CST

That said, however, since the current Hasbro team seems to have something against Beast Wars, I wouldn't mind seeing this kind of fan-voted event used to force them into giving us something from that series in a prominent role of modern fiction that would also be backed by a new toy (NOTE: The last three BW Generations toys were from the former Hasbro team, not the current one). And of the characters from that era, I feel there's only one candidate who was neither a full leader not a Prime analogue (i.e. - not a "Primal", not a Convoy, etc.), but who did receive a well of character growth that saw him grow from his original low ranking status into a mature and respectable semi-authority figure who proved his potential for leadership while also maintaining his original fun-loving side within that he had ever since day one (a fun-loving side that could very possibly help him to avoid the negative aspects of the "Prime curse"). And that character.... is Cheetor.
Re: New 'Power of the Primes' Fan Vote Online in January 2017 (1844520)
Posted by Kyleor on December 1st, 2016 @ 2:32pm CST
Don't bother voting, it's just going to be Bumblebee...
Re: New 'Power of the Primes' Fan Vote Online in January 2017 (1844521)
Posted by o.supreme on December 1st, 2016 @ 2:36pm CST
Re: New 'Power of the Primes' Fan Vote Online in January 2017 (1844522)
Posted by Sabrblade on December 1st, 2016 @ 2:38pm CST
o.supreme wrote:oh dear lord...its much worse than I thought. Fan voted new characters have shown not to work well. I shudder to imagine a newly "fan" created Prime. Fans of the original series have had 30 years to come to terms with Rodimus Prime, and most I *think* have finally let it go. I cant imagine the backlash that will occur with a new Prime being inserted into all forms of media and merchandizing. :HEADHURTS:
Re: New 'Power of the Primes' Fan Vote Online in January 2017 (1844524)
Posted by o.supreme on December 1st, 2016 @ 2:43pm CST
Sabrblade wrote:My impression is that we'd be voting on a preexisting character ascending to Primehood, not making another brand new character out of nothing.

I don't know...sounds a lot like the same thing that spawned Windblade & Victorion, starting with voting for abstract characteristics (Honor, Chaos, Order) rather than a pre-existing character.

The only fan vote I participated in was of course for the 2017 Titan figure, because they were expressly all pre-existing characters, in which any case I pretty much knew what I was voting for.
Re: New 'Power of the Primes' Fan Vote Online in January 2017 (1844526)
Posted by Rysquad on December 1st, 2016 @ 2:44pm CST
Sabrblade wrote:Honestly, I kinda don't really want any preexisting non-Prime character to ascend to Primehood because most of the Primes in Western fiction in this day and age are either boring, unlikable, or corrupt individuals. I wouldn't want to wish this "Prime curse" upon any non-Prime character.

I have a feeling the second vote will be existing characters that fit the Honor, Chaos, or Order categories.
Re: New 'Power of the Primes' Fan Vote Online in January 2017 (1844527)
Posted by Rysquad on December 1st, 2016 @ 2:47pm CST
o.supreme wrote:

and choose the bot to lead Cybertron into a historic new era.

I'm thinking our votes will choose the bot, not create the bot.
Re: New 'Power of the Primes' Fan Vote Online in January 2017 (1844528)
Posted by Lunatic Prime on December 1st, 2016 @ 2:47pm CST
That will have an awesome and drastic effect on the story of the IDW universe of Transformers. It would be cool to for example Windblade as new leader of Cybertron. That would be the 2nd time she's elected by the fans and mean an amazing carreer for her. But as well a chaotic leader to create a Decepticon paradise on Cybertron would be absolutely astonishing for that story line.
I'm excited to see what will happen :KREMZEEK:
Re: New 'Power of the Primes' Fan Vote Online in January 2017 (1844530)
Posted by o.supreme on December 1st, 2016 @ 2:52pm CST
So...hypothetically speaking, if *Chaos* won, this would most likely be an evil character, or at the very least a heroic one that would not be worthy of the Matrix, sorry just seems flawed from the start.
Re: New 'Power of the Primes' Fan Vote Online in January 2017 (1844531)
Posted by Munkky on December 1st, 2016 @ 2:57pm CST
o.supreme wrote:oh dear lord...its much worse than I thought. "Fan voted" new characters have shown not to work well. I shudder to imagine a newly fan created Prime. Fans of the original series have had 30 years to come to terms with Rodimus Prime, and most I *think* have finally let it go. I cant imagine the backlash that will occur with a new Prime being inserted into all forms of media and merchandizing. :HEADHURTS:

Shown not to work well? From what I've seen Windblade and Victorion are fairy popular with a lot of fans. I'm not trying to take a jab at you, I'm not fond of Windblade or Victorion personally, but I got the impression that the fan-made characters had and still get a positive reception.
As for this vote, the wording makes it sound like you're voting for an established character to be elevated to Prime status, so if that's the case we may very well end up with Bumblebus Prime or Windbladus Prime. But if it is a new character I'm interested in seeing what happens with it. Though I'll probably vote for Honor just to be that one hipster who doesn't vote for Chaos.
Re: New 'Power of the Primes' Fan Vote Online in January 2017 (1844535)
Posted by Bombilation on December 1st, 2016 @ 3:02pm CST
I'd kill to get an orderly, female Prime, if we're making a new bot. If we're using existing characters, then I'd like to see Jhiaxus take the throne.

Buy "Transformers Authentics Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Platinum Edition Trypticon Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 01 Deluxe Class Movie 1 Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #287 - Pulse Con 2021
"Pulse Con 2021"
Posted: Monday, October 25th, 2021

Buy "Transformers DOUBLE PUNCH Botcon Japan Exclusive The Evil Predacon Limited" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers War For Cybertron Soundblaster Black 35th Anniversary Hasbro WFC" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Rescue Bots SALVAGE Garbage Truck Figure Hasbro Playskool Heroes" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS RESCUE BOTS BLADES (Shark Sub Variant), Rare Shark Sub Capture 2015" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Wheelie" on EBAY
Buy "NEW Transformers Optimus Prime MEGA AXE ATTACK Bumblebee Cyberverse Adventures" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return SLUGSLINGER w/ Caliburst 2017 Figure MOSC in USA G1" on EBAY
Buy "Gigapower GP HQ-04 Graviter (METALLIC) Transformers Sludge Complete, Re-boxed" on EBAY