Peter Cullen Gives Movie Prime – A Thumbs Up

Peter Cullen Gives Movie Prime – A Thumbs Up

Sunday, June 10th, 2007 4:56am CDT

Categories: Movie Related News, People News, Interviews
Posted by: Stormrider   Views: 25,815

Peter Cullen has been a busy guy. The other day, we reported here, here, and here regarding interviews with Peter Cullen. Well, now Ain’t It Cool News.com had a chance to sit down with “The Voice” of Optimus Prime and share with us some behind the scene information that we have not heard of yet.

When Cullen was asked about the Prime’s characteristics on the screen he had this to say:

Quint: Was there any difference in how you personally approached the character?

Peter Cullen: Not at all, no. Prime is Prime and yeah, he still has all the traits that were first initiated in the break down, the first character breakdowns that I read back 1983 or 84. He hasn’t changed one bit. Hey if it’s not broken, don’t fix it!

Quint: It looks like just the hugest, most crazy science fiction action thing… like nothing that we have ever really seen executed at this level, you know?

Peter Cullen: [Michael Bay] is responsible for so many great things, including giving Optimus Prime a sense of humor, which makes him more believable, working in the human relation situation along with the real people. Prime is actually charmingly funny. That’s a step in the right direction!

Quint: Yeah, well I think the very first thing the talkbackers and the readers of Ain't It Cool, the site that I write for, are going to want to know… is your opinion on the redesign of the robots, specifically Optimus. What do you think about flames on… you?

Peter Cullen: Well, number 1, just to see it, it’s overwhelming, there are changes, but everything in life changes… cars change every year and I think if one uses his imagination and you separate the sentiment and the history and the memories and tradition and that stuff, because nothing really stays the same anyway, you can actually justify Optimus Prime… a mechanical situation, going to advanced… advanced designs, which makes perfect sense to me, because he still maintains the core of character, with all the ingredients of leadership and that’s what made him an icon. I mean, the writers are fantastic and they have never gone away from that. They have maintained a very strong commitment with his qualities and they did a wonderful job. They’re brilliant, brilliant guys… wonderfully talented…

Click here to read the entire interview.

Credit(s): Ain't It Cool News.com, Phategod1

Re: Peter Cullen Gives Movie Prime – A Thumbs Up (157182)
Posted by KoH4711 on June 10th, 2007 @ 5:17am CDT
I've not had the chance to meet him in person like a lot of fans have, but it never ceases to amaze me, in these interviews, that Cullen comes across as a real easy-going, humble person. I've not heard Trans-fandom horror stories, but I have known plenty of people in fandom that have copped an attitude... and very few of them have had a part in creating a character as iconic as Prime.

A fun interview to read... I'm hoping Quint makes an audio copy of it, at some point. I'd love to hear the impression.
Re: Peter Cullen Gives Movie Prime – A Thumbs Up (157203)
Posted by Gutsman Heavy on June 10th, 2007 @ 6:22am CDT
I wanna know what Welker thinks of movie megs!
Re: Peter Cullen Gives Movie Prime – A Thumbs Up (157223)
Posted by Fang Wolf on June 10th, 2007 @ 7:18am CDT
I'm with Gutsman Heavy!

I do think Mr Cullen sounds like a great guy though. ^^
Re: Peter Cullen Gives Movie Prime – A Thumbs Up (157232)
Posted by Stormrider on June 10th, 2007 @ 7:43am CDT
Re: Peter Cullen Gives Movie Prime – A Thumbs Up (157256)
Posted by skywarp-2 on June 10th, 2007 @ 8:20am CDT
Stormrider wrote:It would make my day if Cullen ever stopped by Seibertron.com and said "hi" to the fans.

I agree!!!!

Whats bothering me though is this:

Peter Cullen: "On another level, his size, compared to a human being is huge, so there will be minor subtleties in sound to compensate for that for that size and on a big screen outlook, you are going to feel that in the theater and it wouldn’t make sense to have Prime’s voice… I was a little hesitant at first when they said they were going to give me a fuller sound and then when I heard it I realized perfectly (what they meant). The only thing I cared about was did they maintain his characteristics and they did, so I felt great."

What changes to the voice was done?

I am totally eating my work day lunches at Burger King for the whole month of July, in honor of the great Peter Cullen and Optimus Prime!!
Re: Peter Cullen Gives Movie Prime – A Thumbs Up (157279)
Posted by Starscream227 on June 10th, 2007 @ 8:46am CDT
skywarp-2 wrote:

Your liver bemoans this fact, regardless of Cullen's greatness. But what does an organ know?

As for the interview(s), hearing (or reading) the good things Peter has to say about Prime, at least, does help psych me up for the film...
Re: Peter Cullen Gives Movie Prime – A Thumbs Up (157285)
Posted by skywarp-2 on June 10th, 2007 @ 8:55am CDT
Starscream227 wrote:
skywarp-2 wrote:

they sell salads now...but I will occasionally get a "BK stacker"...3 flame broiled all beef patties, cheese, cheesy special sauce, bacon, 2 buns.. no fries and a large diet coke!! still on a diet, high protein, with small carbs.. so my liver will be okay.. as long as I take the "stackers" in extreme moderation...

Re: Peter Cullen Gives Movie Prime – A Thumbs Up (157288)
Posted by Starscream227 on June 10th, 2007 @ 9:01am CDT
skywarp-2 wrote:still worried about what Peter was saying about the size comparison and sound thing though.. anyone have a speculation as to what they did??

Probably some deepening and resonate/distort stuff.
Re: Peter Cullen Gives Movie Prime – A Thumbs Up (157295)
Posted by skywarp-2 on June 10th, 2007 @ 9:12am CDT
Starscream227 wrote:

Probably some deepening and resonate/distort stuff.

I hope it doesn't detract from his Optimus Voice too much..But have you noticed that the Mechanical voice box sounds are very subtle lately.. BW was notorious for not having that twang in their voices, which always bothered me... I just hope that the Mechanical voice sound isn't a lost art.. it makes them seem more robotic and not a voiced actor cgi thing.. even though thats what they are, but the illusion should be maintained.. to a degree..
Re: Peter Cullen Gives Movie Prime – A Thumbs Up (157321)
Posted by Stormrider on June 10th, 2007 @ 9:47am CDT
Re: Peter Cullen Gives Movie Prime – A Thumbs Up (157337)
Posted by Autobobby1 on June 10th, 2007 @ 10:03am CDT
The exact same character except with a different design and a sense of humor? Sweet!
Re: Peter Cullen Gives Movie Prime – A Thumbs Up (157356)
Posted by King Grimrob on June 10th, 2007 @ 10:28am CDT
AMEN!
Re: Peter Cullen Gives Movie Prime – A Thumbs Up (157408)
Posted by Arcadius-Prime on June 10th, 2007 @ 11:02am CDT
Re: Peter Cullen Gives Movie Prime – A Thumbs Up (157470)
Posted by Liege Evilmus on June 10th, 2007 @ 11:44am CDT
I'm sure Pete did a great job, but even if he didn't, whats he gonna say "This movie sucks"!?!

Only time I ever saw that happen was when Arnold wwent on Oprah to promote BatMan 4.
Re: Peter Cullen Gives Movie Prime – A Thumbs Up (157501)
Posted by Jaw Crusher on June 10th, 2007 @ 12:01pm CDT
Stormrider wrote:If you watch/listen to the trailers, Prime has little more timber to his voice. (Is the timber the right word? :???: )

Re: Peter Cullen Gives Movie Prime – A Thumbs Up (157504)
Posted by Hanch Prime on June 10th, 2007 @ 12:04pm CDT
please no mention of Batman and Robin,

I may throw up. Batman Begins, Batman Begins Batman Begins, there I feel better.

Anyways back to the topic at hand, you can tell they have made cullens voice a little deeper. This is to make him feel more massive as he is a 20 foot tall robot. Makes sense to me, it still sounds Like prime. Mr. cullen is Prime.
Re: Peter Cullen Gives Movie Prime – A Thumbs Up (157506)
Posted by Sentinel Pax on June 10th, 2007 @ 12:05pm CDT
Jaw Crusher wrote:I think it's 'tembor'. If Prime had more timber to his voice, he'd be a lumberjack. :-P

*Prime looks at giant redwood*
"One shall stand...
*Forms energy axe from G1*
...one shall fall."

Sorry.
Re: Peter Cullen Gives Movie Prime – A Thumbs Up (157520)
Posted by Autobotspitfire on June 10th, 2007 @ 12:16pm CDT
right from the mouth of god, this movie will rock.
Re: Peter Cullen Gives Movie Prime – A Thumbs Up (157530)
Posted by Burnup Prime on June 10th, 2007 @ 12:24pm CDT
if Pete agrees completely with his own character, then that is a truly great reason forn any transformers fan to go see the movie
Re: Peter Cullen Gives Movie Prime – A Thumbs Up (157556)
Posted by Starscream227 on June 10th, 2007 @ 12:50pm CDT
Arcadius-Prime wrote:Well it's not like he would saythe movie, uh... sucked duh. Anyway I can't wait to see Peter's Prime or is it Prime's Peter. Hee-hee

and I'm dead inside...

Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars Blast Off Megatronus Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe 20 Mercenary Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 13 Voyager Class Movie 2 Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Crashbash" on AMAZON
Buy "Playskool Heroes Transformers Rescue Bots Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #271 - Meh-pisode
"Meh-pisode"
Posted: Friday, March 5th, 2021

Buy "Mint Used Decepticon Berserker, Transformers The Last Knight Premier Edition " on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Rescue Bots High Tide Blue Boat VHTF Retired" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Daca Toys Kronos" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers War for Cybertron Earthrise Leader DOUBLEDEALER  NIB NEW" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Rescue Bots High Tide" on EBAY
Buy "transformers generations doubledealer" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers RICOCHET Generations Selects Power of the Primes Combiner Wars" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations War for Cybertron Earthrise Target Exclusive Runabout" on EBAY