Peter Cullen interviewed by TECHLAND.com

Peter Cullen interviewed by TECHLAND.com

Tuesday, July 6th, 2010 9:06pm CDT

Categories: Game News, People News, Interviews
Posted by: Tigertrack   Views: 80,757

Fan favorite voice actor, Peter Cullen, has been interviewed by the website, Techland.com.

This interview revolves mainly around Cullen's participation in the newly released TRANSFORMERS- WAR FOR CYBERTRON video game, and how video game voice work is different from other voice work jobs. Fans who have listened to Mr. Cullen in panels at Botcon, or read other interviews, will find some familiar material here.

An excerpt from the interview:

How is the Optimus Prime in War for Cyberton different than other Optimus Primes?

In the game it's perhaps a little different in that he jumps around saying things that are activated by the actions of the player. There will be a consistency in his character but you won't be able to find the same significant emotions he would have with a written script in the movies or cartoons. From what I've heard and what I've seen of the game it's a very interesting combination to have an individual play into, let's say a cartoon, he's now in the cartoon with Optimus Prime and I think that's a very special ingredient to have.

Do you have a routine to get into character?

Well, not really. Generally, I just assume the character that came to me from the very beginning that's based on my brothery Larry who was a Marine Corps captain that served in Vietnam. Larry is 13 months older and when he came home, I noticed a great difference in him. He was more composed and understanding. All his character traits that I saw in him, I applied to the breakdown of the character when I first auditioned for him, so I don't have any problem recalling Optimus whatsoever. His basic components are courage and compassion and dignity and honor and integrity. There's really no energy involved. I just think of my brother and read the words and then he comes out.

You can read the rest of the interview at Techland.com, and then come back here to further discuss your own experiences with Mr. Cullen.

Seibertron.com for all of your Transformers news and resource needs.

Vector Sigma Database
Comprehensive Photo Galleries
Most Recent Transformers News

Credit(s): Techland.com

Re: Peter Cullen interviewed by TECHLAND.com (1094859)
Posted by First-Aid on July 6th, 2010 @ 10:37pm CDT
Re: Peter Cullen interviewed by TECHLAND.com (1094917)
Posted by Ballistic90 on July 7th, 2010 @ 6:13am CDT
"Major props to PC's brother for serving in our armed forces! He deserves as much respect for what he did as us fans give PC for what he does for us. More, even."

Considering Peter Cullen was born in Montreal, I'd assume his brother was more likely to have served in the Canadian armed forces, not the American armed forces.

I remember him talking about his brother being the inspiration for Optimus Prime in other interviews. You can tell he has a lot of respect and admiration for him.
Re: Peter Cullen interviewed by TECHLAND.com (1095017)
Posted by DaiShanPrime on July 7th, 2010 @ 12:28pm CDT
Loved the interview. Peter Cullen is awesome :)
Re: Peter Cullen interviewed by TECHLAND.com (1096272)
Posted by PBV on July 10th, 2010 @ 10:41am CDT

Unless Canada has a Marine Corps that served in Vietnam, I'd assume his brother served in the United States Marine Corps.
Re: Peter Cullen interviewed by TECHLAND.com (1096343)
Posted by Galvatron X on July 10th, 2010 @ 12:58pm CDT
An excerpt from the interview:

Do you have a routine to get into character?

That's pretty cool! He has a true energy behind the voice, based on his brother. He's not just some voice actor with no heart; he's channeling his brother when he does OP's voice. Man, Peter Cullen is the SHEEEIT!
Re: Peter Cullen interviewed by TECHLAND.com (1096600)
Posted by Elita One on July 10th, 2010 @ 10:04pm CDT
Nice interview.

Damn straight.

Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Kramer Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Masterpiece Movie Series Barricade MPM-5" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 07 Leader Class Movie 4 Grimlock" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #270 - An Ox, a Seagull and a Monster
"An Ox, a Seagull and a Monster"
Posted: Sunday, February 14th, 2021

Buy "Transformers Highbrow XORT Headmaster  Walmart exclusive wave 2 heroic autobot!" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers monxo Headmaster Weirdwolf Wave 2 evil decepticon sealed new!!!" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers G1 Headmasters Chromedome & Stylor" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Selects God Neptune Combiner Wars Coelagon Gulf Skalor" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers G1 Headmasters Hardhead & Duros" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Go! G15 Hunter Bulkhead Takara Tomy Japan" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Selects TT-GS02 KRAKEN (Seawing) / Seacons / In Hand" on EBAY