Transformers News: Screenrant List - "Transformers - 15 Reasons Lost Light is the Greatest Story in the Franchise"

Friday, January 27th, 2017 2:43PM CST

Categories: Comic Book News, Digital Media News
Posted by: D-Maximus_Prime   Views: 26,185

Screenrant has published a Transformers-related list in the form of a Top 15 reasons why Lost Light is the greatest story in the franchise! As many of us remember, More Than Meets The Eye was a very good book that was highly praised and awarded during its run, and the story continues on as Lost Light with issue 2 coming out next week.

You can read the whole list by going to the above link, and we have quoted part of the list below for you to read. Let us know what you think in the comments section below!

Transformers sometimes get a bad rap, but historically, the breeding ground for great storytelling in the world of Autobots and Decepticons has been in comic books. Bob Budiansky and Simon Furman conceived the lion’s share of what have become the basic cornerstones of the Transformers universe through Marvel’s Transformers comic in the ’80s and ’90s.

The current Transformers comics are produced by IDW, and while every series they’re currently producing is at the very least good, there’s one that stands head and shoulders above the rest: James Roberts’ Transformers: Lost Light.

Originally titled More Than Meets The Eye, the recently rebranded series tells the story of a ragtag group of post-war Cybertronians ostensibly on a mission to find the mythic Knights of Cybertron. That’s not what the book is really about though; it’s a story of freedom, redemption, romance, and family. It is equal parts hilarious and terrifying. It’s the best fiction ever associated with the franchise, and it’s not even a close race.

.....

13. DEVELOPMENT OF D-LIST CHARACTERS INTO FAN FAVORITES

Remember when you were a kid, desperately scouring Toys ‘R’ Us for the newest Grimlock or Starscream figures only to find shelves overflowing with the mediocre toy of some character you’d never heard of? The affectionate term coined for such toys is “pegwarmers.” The Lost Light is practically overflowing with pegwarmers.

Part of Roberts’ genius early on was making a conscious decision not to lean too heavily on the established icons of the Transformers mythos. A lot of those characters are compelling, but they have decades worth of storytelling baggage and expectations. Taking obscure, little-loved characters that had largely been ignored by the pre-existing fiction and grafting complex, surprising personalities onto them provided the crew of the Lost Light with a genuine breath of fresh air.

There’s Tailgate, a diminutive, endlessly enthusiastic Autobot who accidentally slept through the entire war; Brainstorm, an absolute genius inventor who is just a bit too amoral to be wearing that Autobot insignia; and Skids, a highly skilled theoretician with some alarming holes in his memory. It’s a sprawling, eclectic cast, though a few characters definitely stand out from the rest…

.....

7. THE SCAVENGERS

Imagine you’re a soldier in a universe spanning war that’s been going on for millions of years. You’re not a good soldier; there’s a decent chance you’re among the very worst. You’re in such a remote part of the universe that when the war ends, nobody bothers to tell you. You eventually figure out you’re on your own, and you were on the losing side of the war. What do you do?

That’s the scenario that faces the Scavengers, a group of absolutely anonymous Decepticon grunts. They have exactly one thing in common with the nightmarish Overlord: they have no real loyalty to Megatron or the Decepticon cause. They’re just trying to survive by whatever means necessary, dodging the gaze of more serious Decepticon outfits, and taking on surprising allies, like the brain-damaged Autobot warrior Grimlock. The book only periodically visits these Decepticon counterparts to the main cast, but the characters are just as fully realized and compelling as the crew of the Lost Light.

.....

5. THE REVOLUTIONARY ARTWORK

While James Roberts rightly fields the majority of the praise for the book’s success, Lost Light wouldn’t be what it is without its stable of artists. The book was launched with the sublime Nick Roche on pencils, and Jack Lawrence has recently taken the reins to great effect, but Roberts’ true partner in this endeavor has been Alex Milne.

Milne got his start working on Transformers during the infamous period when Dreamwave held the license, ghosting for that company’s owner and self-proclaimed “superstar” artist, Pat Lee. If anything positive came out of the embarrassing, litigious Dreamwave debacle, it was Milne. His work brims with painstaking detail, and no one has ever had the ability to infuse life into robots the way he can. He has the uncanny ability to let his characters emote without ever veering into cartoonish excess. The book is as defined by his visual flair as it is Roberts’ meticulous plotting. His future on the title is, at the moment, a bit unclear, but it’s difficult to imagine reading these characters for an extended period of time without his influence.
Credit(s): Screenrant
Re: Screenrant List - "Transformers - 15 Reasons Lost Light is the Greatest Story in the Franchise" (1855203)
Posted by Carnivius_Prime on January 27th, 2017 @ 2:50pm CST
Sorry, I've tried multiple times to get into IDW stories but they just don't do it for me. Glad they're doing ok for most folk though.
Re: Screenrant List - "Transformers - 15 Reasons Lost Light is the Greatest Story in the Franchise" (1855223)
Posted by Deadput on January 27th, 2017 @ 3:31pm CST
Really?

MtMTE is enjoyable to read it really is but the greatest?

I don't really think it's the god tier Shakespeare story telling of the franchise especially since season 2 was overall disappointing for most of it.

Re: Screenrant List - "Transformers - 15 Reasons Lost Light is the Greatest Story in the Franchise" (1855262)
Posted by lowman_x on January 27th, 2017 @ 6:26pm CST
Deadput wrote:Part of why it was great was because of Alex Milne's amazing art but with him mostly gone besides filling in for an issue for another series it becomes less enjoyable when they get sub par in comparisons artists that have a different tone.

I have to agree with you there. I enjoy Lawrence's work, but the style is a real step-in-a-too-cartoony-direction for my tastes, especially after Milne's detailed stuff. I could see Lawrence teaming with Sara on Til All Are One and really gelling with that book's vibe and look and really doing well there, but it's throwing me off a bit in Lost Light.
Re: Screenrant List - "Transformers - 15 Reasons Lost Light is the Greatest Story in the Franchise" (1855280)
Posted by D-Maximus_Prime on January 27th, 2017 @ 7:52pm CST
lowman_x wrote:

It's an issue with me too. The art is what is throwing me off the book and making it not as enjoyable.
Re: Screenrant List - "Transformers - 15 Reasons Lost Light is the Greatest Story in the Franchise" (1855326)
Posted by ricemazter on January 28th, 2017 @ 12:28am CST
D-Maximus_Prime wrote:
lowman_x wrote:

Honestly, I think Alex Milne spoiled us rotten in terms of art, which makes it really hard to accept any substitutes. One thing I do appreciate is that LL isn't trying to emulate Milne the way some other artists tended to, but he was almost too good.

This might be a good opportunity to see if Robert's story telling can do most of the legwork, without relying on something beautiful to look at constantly.
Re: Screenrant List - "Transformers - 15 Reasons Lost Light is the Greatest Story in the Franchise" (1855329)
Posted by D-Maximus_Prime on January 28th, 2017 @ 12:37am CST
ricemazter wrote:
D-Maximus_Prime wrote:
lowman_x wrote:

I agree with you. I agree with the screenrant thing that Milne made the book memorable. His art was perfect and so detailed and well done. Roche did good for issue 1, and I think the best issue without Milne was #47 with Brendan Cahill.

But Milne will be coming back. He and Lawrence are going every other story arc, so we'll get him back again in a few months
Re: Screenrant List - "Transformers - 15 Reasons Lost Light is the Greatest Story in the Franchise" (1855333)
Posted by lowman_x on January 28th, 2017 @ 1:41am CST
D-Maximus_Prime wrote:

Is that confirmed?
Re: Screenrant List - "Transformers - 15 Reasons Lost Light is the Greatest Story in the Franchise" (1855338)
Posted by WreckerJack on January 28th, 2017 @ 2:49am CST
Re: Screenrant List - "Transformers - 15 Reasons Lost Light is the Greatest Story in the Franchise" (1855342)
Posted by Va'al on January 28th, 2017 @ 3:17am CST
lowman_x wrote:
D-Maximus_Prime wrote:

Is that confirmed?

Yes and no, differing sources, no hard confirmation. It just gets cloudier the further we go along. 8-}
Re: Screenrant List - "Transformers - 15 Reasons Lost Light is the Greatest Story in the Franchise" (1855346)
Posted by lowman_x on January 28th, 2017 @ 3:55am CST
WreckerJack wrote:I hope Milne is in good health. I remember a while back he was pushing himself too hard for a while. I really do enjoy his artwork.

My biggest worry is his diabetes and I really hope he's keeping that in check. I've had a friend lose a foot and another friend died because they weren't taking care of themselves and monitoring their diabetes.
Re: Screenrant List - "Transformers - 15 Reasons Lost Light is the Greatest Story in the Franchise" (1855347)
Posted by lowman_x on January 28th, 2017 @ 3:58am CST
Va'al wrote:
lowman_x wrote:
D-Maximus_Prime wrote:

Is that confirmed?

Yeah, everything I've heard from Milne (via Twitter mainly) is that he wasn't even sure why he was taken off the roster for MTMTE/LL. There's probably something going on in the background that we're not aware of... I *do* hope they alternate, that'd be good.
Re: Screenrant List - "Transformers - 15 Reasons Lost Light is the Greatest Story in the Franchise" (1855348)
Posted by 1984forever on January 28th, 2017 @ 3:59am CST

14) Worst version of Rodimus ever. He doesn't have the maturity or the strength to be Rodimus Prime. He's too girly looking and immature to even be Hot Rod.

13) Transformers is not all about Grimlock and Starscream, but it's not all about Tailgate and Brainstorm either. 5 years worth of Roberts relentlessly focusing on the same characters = Stale.

12) Chromedome and Rewind = canon slashfic.

11) Hated Whirl ever since my parents got him for me with a bunch of cooler TFs like Grapple and Hoist for Christmas '85. I would have preferred getting 2 Hoists instead of them wasting money on Whirl. Just a stupid looking cornball character. Doesn't even look like a real Transformer.

10) Roberts couldn't get Bluestreak, so he re-purposed Swerve into Bluestreak and threw his tech specs out the window. Swerve is a Bluestreak KO.

9) MTMTE turned Ultra Magnus into a fraud.

Eight (keeps coming out as an emoji so i have to spell it) We didn't get enough of Overlord.

7) We didn't get enough of the Scavengers either.

6) Characters are too chatty.

5) Milne's alt-modes are the worst.

4) I don't like how IDW handled Shockwave at all.

3) Can't decide now if it's Milne's alt-modes that are the worst, or if it's Roberts world building.

2) DJD. Worst conclusion ever.

Re: Screenrant List - "Transformers - 15 Reasons Lost Light is the Greatest Story in the Franchise" (1855446)
Posted by Sunstar on January 28th, 2017 @ 1:57pm CST
1984forever wrote:15)snippity a lot of negativity

I would say, if you could do a better story arc then please, do so. You have a right to your opinion though. I just feel if you can write or draw it better, then do so. Lots of people do their own comics these days.

I found this actually quite refreshing from the norm.
Re: Screenrant List - "Transformers - 15 Reasons Lost Light is the Greatest Story in the Franchise" (1855448)
Posted by Deadput on January 28th, 2017 @ 1:59pm CST
1984forever wrote:15) What's so interesting about peace time? It's been done already. G1 season 3 ended the war, and it wasn't that great then either.

12) Chromedome and Rewind = canon slashfic.

7) We didn't get enough of the Scavengers either.

6) Characters are too chatty.

15: Because consent war without end is also boring honestly most of the things done after the war are more interesting then the war itself which at this point was boring.

12: It's not even anything like slash dude the most they have done is held hands and sit beside each other and honestly their a better developed couple then the Autobot Girlfriends from season 2 of the G1 cartoon.

11: What kind of a compliant even is this what does it have to do with Mtmte is it just cause Whirl is in it? Whirl looks just as much as a Transformer as Shockwave their both one eyed robots and you seem to like Shockwave so your complaint about Whirl makes no sense and sounds like your complaining to complain I mean did you know him and Roadbuster would of been in season 2 of G1 if their toys did not originate from a different company?

10: Funny enough Bluestreak actually is in the book as a supporting character who acts like he normally would so it has nothing to do with not being able to get him.

8 and 7: Overlord and the Scavengers are not the main characters so that is why they lack screentime that and Overlord is way to powerful to keep him around so they have to get rid of him one way or another and since he was not dead he can and did return and will so again Scavengers have also been getting spotlight lately.

6: A Transformers comic book too chatty? Must be a Bayformer fan who likes it when a character only gets 2 or 3 lines a film and I remember the G1 Cartoon also being quite chatty but I thought people loved it.

Your posts and opinions are so completely odd and bizarre too me that I don't even get enraged when I see a post of yours anymore I just get confused now. (still feel compelled to reply though)
Re: Screenrant List - "Transformers - 15 Reasons Lost Light is the Greatest Story in the Franchise" (1855464)
Posted by Va'al on January 28th, 2017 @ 2:53pm CST
Some readers were able to get to the second issue of IDW Publishing's Transformers: Lost Light last week, as iTunes did not update its release date to the new schedule - but we now have the actual, full preview of Lost Light #2, definitely out this Wednesday in both print and digital formats! Check it out below, courtesy of CBR.

[quote]Rodimus and Co. find themselves in a dangerous place. Even more dangerous than on a planet that exploded from the inside. That’s already pretty dangerous. But where they are now? Oh boy.

Part of IDW’s Artist’s Edition Cover Month!
Variant cover by Joana Lafuente!
[/quote]

Re: Screenrant List - "Transformers - 15 Reasons Lost Light is the Greatest Story in the Franchise" (1855469)
Posted by Ironhidensh on January 28th, 2017 @ 3:12pm CST

If you can't tell, I really want to see some functionist get a healthy dose of flaming fusion cannon.
Re: Screenrant List - "Transformers - 15 Reasons Lost Light is the Greatest Story in the Franchise" (1855471)
Posted by Brainstørm on January 28th, 2017 @ 3:15pm CST
[quote]15) What's so interesting about peace time? It's been done already. G1 season 3 ended the war, and it wasn't that great then either.

12) Chromedome and Rewind = canon slashfic.

9) MTMTE turned Ultra Magnus into a fraud.

7) We didn't get enough of the Scavengers either.

6) Characters are too chatty.

5) Milne's alt-modes are the worst.

4) I don't like how IDW handled Shockwave at all.

2) DJD. Worst conclusion ever.

1) Megatron's redemption. So a guy murders your friends and acquaintances over a period of several years, and then one day you decide to go on a cruise with him? Does that make sense?[/quote]

Your comment tilted me so much, I made an account just to refute all of your arguments.

15) Because the War's over. Unless you want a hard reboot of the entire continuity or Starscream/Megs to flip out and start killing people again.

14) That's just your opinion. Personally, I think it's enticing and unique to have a character who's so obviously flawed and unfit to rule in a position of such power. As for "girly"... if you're talking about his slender physique, remember that he turns into a sports car. Of course he will be sleek. It's just the way Nick Roche drew him, and the way he's gonna stay.

13) Then read Robots in Disguise/Transformers vol 2/Optimus Prime. That's why we have two options.

12) The Lost Light has a crew of 200+. There are two known pairs of Conjunx Endurae - Chromedome-Rewind and Cyclonus-Tailgate. This means less than 2% of the crew are Conjunx Endurae, and this isn't counting all of the members that have died, departed, or joined somewhere along the line.

11) That's your problem.

10) Like the other guy mentioned, Bluestreak still exists and he's still Bluestreak. Robers took a mediocre and obscure G1 character and turned him into a lovable key part of the mainstram TF cast. How you see that as a problem is beyond me.

9) Nope. G1 Magnus lives on in the original IDW Ultra Magnus. In fact, it was more of an upgrade than a downgrade. G1 Magnus completely screwed up his job of being the next Prime in TF: The Movie and got blown up in one shot. Roberts turned a mediocre character into a righteous justice-bringer.

Eight) Overlord was one of the most destructive things that happened in MTMTE, and he just keeps coming back even after everyone thinks he's dead. If anything there's too much of Overlord. And he'll be back.

7) They're side characters. MTMTE doesn't revolve around them - maybe a standalone comic series about them would be nice, but Hasbro/IDW probably wouldn't consider that a profitable move.

6) That's just the way the comic is, and the majority of the readers love it. Again, if you don't like it, go read RiD/TFv2/OP instead.

5) Personally, I love them. That's just your opinion, and it's an unsupported and trashy one at that.

4) Again, opinion. I think they made him righteously terrifying. Infinitely better than the G1 Shockwave.

3) Your opinions are killing me. Both Milne's art and Roberts's writing have so much work put into them and are beloved by so many fans.

2) I think their conclusion was fittingly ironic. They took such pleasure in giving their victims slow and painful deaths, and the way Megatron took them out just added insult to injury.

1) You're acting like everyone was completely okay with Megatron's so-called "redemption". Rodimus hated it, the majority of the crew hated it (and tried to kill him) - literally no one was pleased about it. The only reason he wasn't incarcerated/executed was because he tricked everyone with the Luna 2 maneuver.

TL;DR - go read the Optimus Prime (the other Transformers ongoing comic) instead.
Re: Screenrant List - "Transformers - 15 Reasons Lost Light is the Greatest Story in the Franchise" (1855475)
Posted by Kurona on January 28th, 2017 @ 3:27pm CST
Ironhidensh wrote:If ever there was a time for Megatron to cry havoc, and let loose the dogs of war....... Well, this is it.

Hell YEAH!

Honestly, I think something interesting about this is that, like... this is kind of Megatron's chance to start over fresh. I don't mean this in a he'll-stay-there-this-is-the-conclusion-to-Megatron's-arc idea - which I personally don't believe in myself; at the very least on the merit that it would mean Megatron and Terminus would be shoved out of the gate before anything can be done with them - but in that... he is, essentially, reset to the sort of person he was before the war but with a whole boatload of guilt, and a whole boatload of experience; both in terms of militancy and how his freedom fighting went too far. With this in mind, this group getting sent to the functionist universe is essentially setting up a scenario where it's almost like we're seeing an alternate version of events where Megatron was allied with the right crowd and becomes a hero.
That's a lot of rambling and incoherency, but I just find it interesting that this is essentially us seeing an alternate pre-war scenario.
Re: Screenrant List - "Transformers - 15 Reasons Lost Light is the Greatest Story in the Franchise" (1855555)
Posted by WreckerJack on January 29th, 2017 @ 2:14am CST

12) Chromedome and Rewind = canon slashfic.

6) Characters are too chatty.

15) There are more stories than just fighting, war and killing. It's interesting to see something different once in a while.

14) Sorry that not every robot can be super macho and burly. I don't see how Rodimus looks feminine. If anything he just looks skinny and young.

12) They are a small part of the story. I don't see how it is like a slash fic. If it were there would be fan service which I don't really see. What I do see is representation for LGBT people that is done in a tasteful way. Not really a big deal.

11) There are plenty of characters I don't like but I don't talk mess about them because I know there are others who enjoy them. To each their own.

6) How? Reading what the characters are saying is how storytelling is done. I don't understand how this is an issue?

1) Well, I'll give you that one. It bothers me that they trust him too. Makes for an interesting story about functionalism though.
Re: Screenrant List - "Transformers - 15 Reasons Lost Light is the Greatest Story in the Franchise" (1855600)
Posted by Big Grim on January 29th, 2017 @ 8:53am CST
I think thar article was bang on the money myself.

Ending Soon On eBay

Fewture ES Gokin Series 14 Roadbuster G1 Transformers Road Buster US seller NEW - Time Remaining: 4 days 11 hours 6 minutes 24 seconds
KAIYODO REVOLTECH SCI-FI 030 TRANSFORMERS OPTIMUS PRIME DARK OF THE MOON USED - Time Remaining: 1 day 7 hours 6 minutes 57 seconds
G1 Japanese Zone Transformers – Metrotitan’s Metrotank - Time Remaining: 6 days 20 hours 14 minutes 56 seconds
Transformers Generations FRENZY RUMBLE RATBAT RAMHORN REWIND EJECT SUNDER RAVAGE - Time Remaining: 1 day 11 hours 22 minutes 25 seconds
G1 Japanese Zone Transformers – Sonic Bomber 100% - Time Remaining: 2 days 10 hours 25 minutes 48 seconds
Transformers Puggleformers IDW Rung Hand-Made Plush Toy Puggleformer - Time Remaining: 2 days 10 hours 30 minutes 34 seconds
TRANSFORMERS MP-21G BUMBLEBEE BUMBLE G-2 VER. w/ EXCLUSIVE COIN - Time Remaining: 8 days 4 hours 34 minutes 33 seconds
Transformers Generation Toy Gravity Builder GT-1H transparent Megatron In Stock - Time Remaining: 1 day 10 hours 35 minutes 8 seconds
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #170 - NC Comicon 2017