Season 4 Speculated to be the last for Transformers: Rescue Bots

Season 4 Speculated to be the last for Transformers: Rescue Bots

Thursday, December 15th, 2016 2:30am CST

Categories: Cartoon News, People News, Digital Media News
Posted by: Bronzewolf   Views: 55,544

We bring you potentially sad news today, Seibertronians, as the Transformers cartoon intended for Preschool audiences that later found it's footing with many adult fans, Rescue Bots, may be coming to an end. Yes, the popular show entered its fourth season this year, and it could be the last, as D. C. Douglas (Aka the voice of Chase on the show) said on the Tweeters today. Some of the cast and crew seem to have been in attendance for a RB Wrap dinner, further signifying the end.

Transformers News: Re: The Official Transformers: Rescue Bots Discussion Thread

D.C. actually mentioned the possibility of season four being the show's last back in October on his Facebook:
Transformers News: Re: The Official Transformers: Rescue Bots Discussion Thread

There are currently some small, fan-originated, campaigns to renew the series, as there might be some hope Discovery Family or Hasbro might request another season, but these attempts at the time of writing haven't collected into any large-scale pursuits, such as a petition or the like. If something like that does ever happen, however, we'll report on it here.

If this really is the end for Rescue Bots, we'd like to thank D.C. and the rest of the cast and crew for producing a great little show that got a whole new generation started on our beloved franchise.

Credit(s): D.C Douglas

This article was last modified on Thursday, December 15th, 2016 2:35am CST

Re: Season 4 Speculated to be the last for Transformers: Rescue Bots (1847286)
Posted by Deathsanras on December 15th, 2016 @ 5:03am CST
If it truly is the end, it's sad, but it went out proudly, on top and its finale brought a lot of things full-circle.
The show cracked the big 100 for the first time ever, had consistently enjoyable writing, did a lot with the characters, was always a joy to watch, and came from behind ("just a little kids' show," and a secondary line) to prove itself well worthy of being a Transformers show.
Things its cousin, Transformers Prime, was incapable of.
I salute you, Rescue Bots. You proved that a strong cartoon is achieved by good writing and characters, not by wooden characters lurching from one confusing action scene to the next.
You were the Little Transformers Show That Could. And Did.
Re: Season 4 Speculated to be the last for Transformers: Rescue Bots (1847292)
Posted by Ravage XK on December 15th, 2016 @ 6:12am CST
Haven't seen many episodes but when I have I enjoyed them. They are good fun and surprisingly grown up for a a show intended for such a young audience.
Re: Season 4 Speculated to be the last for Transformers: Rescue Bots (1847303)
Posted by o.supreme on December 15th, 2016 @ 9:06am CST
I think most fans knew it was done. The final episodes really felt like a proper ending. I really had no vested interest, but it had a good run. I wish all the best to all those who worked over the past 5 years or so. The veterans are already working on other projects. But for the newcomers, I wish them success in wherever life takes them.

All I can say is this...Hasbro should really try to analyze why they felt to keep this show around so long, and end others that had just as much life left in them, if not more; and use that as the determining factor in the future. In other words...toy sales alone should not determine a shows fate. I find it hard to believe that sales of RB merchandise kept this show going as it is probably the smallest portion of overall TF sales.
Re: Season 4 Speculated to be the last for Transformers: Rescue Bots (1847307)
Posted by Deadput on December 15th, 2016 @ 9:21am CST

Re: Season 4 Speculated to be the last for Transformers: Rescue Bots (1847313)
Posted by Nexus Knight on December 15th, 2016 @ 10:38am CST
Deadput wrote:Well I at least wanted to see Medix and Hoist before the show ended and to find out who the heck these rescue bots were pretty sure that two of them were Medix and Hoist.

Maybe a sequel will introduce us?

Also, if I'm reading TFwiki right (as I've not seen the last episode yet), Optimus had everyone reassigned... except for Blurr. In light of this... Well, this is a RB thread, so any RiD can hopefully connect the dots.
Re: Season 4 Speculated to be the last for Transformers: Rescue Bots (1847320)
Posted by Sabrblade on December 15th, 2016 @ 11:38am CST
Personally, while I felt that the Season 4 finale was really good, I don't quite feel it was as fitting as a series ender as season 3's finale was. Season 3's finale is still probably the best season finale of this show so far (and of all the Hasbro Studios-made TF cartoon season finales) IMHO.

I think for me, it wasn't just that they saved the whole island in the Season 3 finale, but the overall severity of that finale and how much was put into it. The stakes were much bigger and the situation more dire with everyone's lives at risk. And every major good guy character that the show had introduced up to that point (including Blurr, Salvage, High Tide, Servo, Baranova, Woodrow, even one-off character Amy, but not Bumblebee) put in an appearance and were given something to contribute to in the episode (I'd even consider Luskey's and Huxley's noticing High Tide as a new robot as a contribution to the story on their part as it showed how the relationship between the citizens and bots was growing to something bigger than the citizens ever realized). And of course, there's the notion of the Sigma-17 bots ultimately sacrificing their lives as a last resort to save the island, with their essentially being dead for the moments that they had been depleted of their energon making for one of the most emotional moments in the whole show (which was only topped much later by the Season 4 episode called "Family Business").

While the final showdown with Morocco does make for a fitting end in theory, we'd already gotten a Morocco showdown finale in the first season, and this wasn't the real Morocco. And the third season had already given us a formal departure from the show for the real Morocco. And even with that in mind, his influence still being felt in the season 3 finale with him being the whole reason that Elma Hendrickson hid the Quantum Crystal in the time capsule in the first place really resonated with me a lot more than his virus duplicate's antics in this finale did, as that finale showed that even in lieu of the real Morocco having a physical presence on the island or in general, the danger he posed remained ever-present. He could have been killed off instead of time-warped and mindwiped, and his threat would still remain. That is scary frightening.

By contrast, the Morocco virus was more "cool villainy" rather than "terrifying villainy" in this finale.

Don't get me wrong, the Season 4 finale was still really good and did feel like a final sendoff for the show with all of its characters getting new assignments, but to me, the Season 3 finale felt much more finite and emotionally impacting as a narrative conclusion. I'm glad the show didn't end there and did keep going for one more season, but I just feel that the Season 4 finale didn't quite match up to the Season 3 finale.
Re: Season 4 Speculated to be the last for Transformers: Rescue Bots (1847325)
Posted by o.supreme on December 15th, 2016 @ 12:16pm CST
Because of the time when I grew up, I will always prefer a more serious/mature TF series over one that isn't. TF Prime was *MY* series, the closest thing since the original, or BW to fit the tone of what I enjoy most about Transformers. But I will say this for RB. It did prove me wrong in that...after the "Go-Bots" of the early 2000's which was marketed towards 2-4 Year Olds, I did not think it was possible to make a non-violent G rated TF series, much less one that was well written and did not insult its core audience. All folks involved with RB should be proud of what they accomplished.

Its odd to think that 30 years ago (well just a little over...) I was 10, and watching TF:TM in the theater, followed by season 3 which was really a mixed bag. Whereas my son, who's the same age NOW has Rescue Bots & RiD15 running simultaneously. Though as I've mentioned several times he had no interest in watching season 4 of RB online, I notice he is watching it now on Netflix. Probably more out of obligation than anything else, but I do think he's enjoying it. I appreciate that in that I am the same way. Heck many would say the Simpsons hasn't been good in many years, but you can bet I'm going to see it through to the end ;) .

My sons lost interest in the RiD toys as well(he really liked the Deployers & Minicons but since the latter assortments really didn't show up in stores...) but I'm sure he'll be back on board when the new season comes out.

Right now the toys for him are all about Titans Return which we both have a vested interest in, but such a shame there is no (and will be no) proper media outlet to tell its story.
Re: Season 4 Speculated to be the last for Transformers: Rescue Bots (1847327)
Posted by kurthy on December 15th, 2016 @ 12:23pm CST

Isn't four seasons long in the tooth for any transformers series? Has anyone made it to five seasons? I'm still waiting for a relaunch of the movies.
Re: Season 4 Speculated to be the last for Transformers: Rescue Bots (1847329)
Posted by o.supreme on December 15th, 2016 @ 12:35pm CST
kurthy wrote:I think Hasbro has an inherent problem with shows in general. They're toy commercials first even if some are very well written. That's why Hasbro did a soft reboot of the line last year with smaller versions that were updated to match the show models. It's really hard for them to sell the same character models over and over. They need a new gimmick or they need new characters.

4 seasons is long for almost any series in this day and age. Its not just a problem with Hasbro, but the state of animated cartoons in general. So many, especially CN want to pander to kids with short attention spans. They've even gone to "11 minute format" in several cases, which is I guess the *new" "half-hour" (well its not but you get what I mean).

For all its flaws, I'll give Disney props for sticking with its shows for several seasons. They are in many cases poorly written, but with deep pockets, I guess it doesn't really matter.

I guess its one of the curses of being a TF fan. Change is inevitable. I mean back in the 80's a couple of shows (TMNT & The Real Ghostbusters) went 10 & 7 years respectively and had over 150 episodes each. Hypothetically if the original TF animated series had a fully fleshed out season 4, and kept going another 3 years, like it did in Japan, you can bet I would have been there the whole time and loved every minute of it. I'd love to see a TF series go longer than RB did in both seasons and episode count, but unless the industry does some major shifting, I doubt it will ever happen.
Re: Season 4 Speculated to be the last for Transformers: Rescue Bots (1847331)
Posted by Sabrblade on December 15th, 2016 @ 1:33pm CST

The trilogy of episodes that debuted Blurr and Salvage were basically a big middle finger to that episodic story structure and were like "No! That's not how it works! The troublemaker isn't gonna learn anything that way. He's just gonna keep making the same mistake over and over again." Rescue Bots' take on that scenario actually devoted time and effort to put some developmental growth not only into the young troublemaker (Blurr) but also into his leader (Heatwave). Blurr caused trouble in his first outings and, on top of the revelation from Salvage about what really happened in the past (Blurr nearly abandoning Salvage on Earth), the episode ends with most of the team no longer wanting to trust him. That's a pretty grim and yet realistically believable way to end that episode. It shows that Blurr's not just gonna fall in line with the team overnight, and that trust needs to be earned instead of handed out on a silver platter.

The only reason the team keeps in on is because Optimus (as Optimuses are wont to do) encouraged Heatwave to give Blurr another chance, which unlike Optimus Heatwave is all too reluctant to do. Though Heatwave, we're given a leader who fully displays his frustration with Blurr's insubordination and (even outside of these episodes all throughout the show) consistently demonstrates the burdens and struggles of leadership and dealing with interpersonal difficulties. We've gotten some of this before with the likes of Optimus Primal and Animated Optimus Prime, but Heatwave not only puts up with crud every day of his life but also doesn't try to hide it behind of facade of being the ideal "paragon of virtue" leader that most Optimuses try to be. Heatwave represents the "hardworking Average Joe in a leader position" role to its fullest. And in these episodes, that role of his is not only put to it greatest challenge but also pushed to its limits.

That last part needs to be spelled out. Unlike all other Optimuses, Heatwave completely loses his cool with Blurr's antics in the second episode and, by that episode's conclusion, ultimately decides to GIVE UP on Blurr. That's right. He gives up on trying to work with Blurr. That is such a human quality for the character to have that makes him so much more relatable than most other Optimuses with their "never give up on the little guy" ideals. While such ideals are very noble and set a very good example, Heatwave's situation of having his patience pushed to its limits shows a sense of believability in the character that many more can relate to. And I guess that's what sets Optimus and Heatwave apart from each other as leaders: Optimus is the kind of leader we can look up and aspire to be like to better ourselves, while Heatwave is the kind of leader we can relate to and see as a reflection of ourselves and our own human qualities and flaws. In a way, I thunk that kinda makes Heatwave a much better take on the kind of leader that the G1 cartoon tried to make Rodimus Prime into as a contrast to Optimus Prime, but I digress.

And then of course, to fully illustrate just how far the ill feelings between the stubborn youth and the disgruntled mentor can go, after overhearing Heatwave talk about wanting to give up on Blurr, Blurr steals the Sigma and leaves Earth. Coupled with Heatwave's less-than-ideal willingness to give up on the guy, it's amazing how far this preschool show was willing to go with its characters setting bad examples for children by its trying for realistic character depictions. For the situation Blurr was put into, it is very believable that someone like him would, so-to-speak, "make off with his father's car" in the heat of the moment. They really went that far in this preschool show. I can't think of many shows for that demographic that have ever amped the character drama that high up.

And, of course, with this being Griffin Rock, as soon as Blurr leaves with the ship, things go from bad to worse as solar flares knock out the power everywhere on island and cause a satellite to head on a collision course with the island. It takes nearly the entire episode for Blurr to grow a conscience and finally kick in his guilt to make him turn the ship around and try to save the island from the satellite. And, of course, with this show being this show, the rescue can't simply be anything simple, no, it has to be some nail-biting, death-defying experience that puts its audience on edge with suspenseful tension and close call saves held at the very last minute of do-or-die situations held passed the point of no return (man, I love this show!).

But Blurr's dynamic save aside, it's only after he comes through for everyone in the end that he and everyone finally come to terms with each other after all that they'd had to put up with him, and his having to get used to them. It really goes to show how much they put into making sure this issue between Blurr and the team wasn't resolved so quickly. That they devoted three whole episodes to tackling and deconstructing a subject that is such a staple of TF cartoons when its typically done in just one episode, and that they made its character development and lesson learned actually matter in the long run of the whole series, is immensely impressive. :APPLAUSE:
Re: Season 4 Speculated to be the last for Transformers: Rescue Bots (1847332)
Posted by o.supreme on December 15th, 2016 @ 1:58pm CST
Sabrblade wrote:Take the first three episodes of Blurr and Salvage, for instance. I've gone into this trilogy of episodes before, but by golly, these episodes were practically an analytical deconstruction of every single TF cartoon episode that ever dealt with the subject of "young kid-appeal good guy character gets into trouble against his leader's orders". Every time Cheetor/Side Burn/Wedge/Armada Hot Shot/Energon Ironhide/Cybertron Hot Shot/Animated Bumblebee/Prime Smokescreen/etc. would get cause some mischief, he'd learn a lesson by the episode's end and at best get a stern talking to or at worst get a pat on the back and a "We're glad you're okay" from each's respective Optimus, and all that would be promptly forgotten the very next time each kid-appeal character would once again get into trouble, then learn his lesson again, and rinse and repeat.

not to decry your thoghts, but this may reflect the changing times more than being "better" storytelling than any previous series. In times past. It was expected that an erring child learn form their mistakes the first time. Even in the workplace, if you *majorly* screw up more than once, you are probably not going to have a job. But in todays more lenient society, for good or ill (I say ill but I know most don't agree), its all about 3rd, 4th, 5th chances etc...

Blurr not learning his lesson I would say is not better handled than all other series, just a more modern take. I use episodes like that as how NOT to do things in real life.
Re: Season 4 Speculated to be the last for Transformers: Rescue Bots (1847334)
Posted by Sabrblade on December 15th, 2016 @ 2:07pm CST
o.supreme wrote:

Re: Season 4 Speculated to be the last for Transformers: Rescue Bots (1847335)
Posted by o.supreme on December 15th, 2016 @ 2:13pm CST
Sabrblade wrote:Ah, but there lies a counterargument with that in the current RID 2015 cartoon, in which we see Sideswipe playing the same rambunctious youth role as all his predecessors, getting into trouble and learning his lesson by the episode's end (save for when it happens in multi-parters), only to fall right back into the status quo of once more making mistakes that he has to learn from all over again by each episode's end. And thus, the traditional cycle continues on with Sideswipe.

Agreed. One of many flaws with RiD15
Re: Season 4 Speculated to be the last for Transformers: Rescue Bots (1847391)
Posted by Raccoonimus on December 15th, 2016 @ 9:19pm CST
Sabrblade wrote:In many respects, Rescue Bots is arguably one the most mature TF series ever made (and I use the word "mature" in its most literal, denotative meaning and not what the likes of Adult Swim, Michael Bay, or Zack Snyder would have us believe the word to mean), as it tackled many concepts and subjects not often dealt with in TF cartoons, or tackled in ways that most TF cartoons didn't try for.

Phenomenal post. I am somewhat relieved to see I'm not the only person of 'parent' age watching this show with my preschool son who is thoroughly impressed with the writing and its handling of complex themes well beyond what I'd expect a show targeted at preschoolers would tackle.

Completely agree with you on the depth of Heatwave's character as a leader. They progressed from the subtle undertones of a smart, ambitious, mid-level leader angling for a "better" assignment from Optimus in Season 1, to the nuance you described in later seasons.

There's a similar post about leadership you could make about how Optimus handles the introduction of High Tide to the team. High Tide has as much to learn from the core Griffin Rock team as they do from him. But there is no way, given High Tide's personality and his relationship with Optimus, that he would be receptive to having Optimus tell him this. I thought the the way Optimus handled this situation - assuming as I did that Optimus genuinely thought the learning was actually going to go both ways - showed great emotional intelligence.
Re: Season 4 Speculated to be the last for Transformers: Rescue Bots (1848820)
Posted by WreckerJack on December 25th, 2016 @ 7:50pm CST

I want to say that the blue one with the smiling face is Medix. He's always got a smiling face when he is depicted on the toy packages. I think the gruff looking fellow in green looks like he would be Hoist.

Both are just guesses at this point.
Re: Season 4 Speculated to be the last for Transformers: Rescue Bots (1849560)
Posted by Sabrblade on December 29th, 2016 @ 7:06pm CST
Guys, the video is adorable:

Re: Season 4 Speculated to be the last for Transformers: Rescue Bots (1851020)
Posted by BattleConvoy on January 7th, 2017 @ 1:20pm CST
Rescue bots and RID are too kiddy. (IMO)
Re: Season 4 Speculated to be the last for Transformers: Rescue Bots (1851035)
Posted by Sabrblade on January 7th, 2017 @ 3:46pm CST
BattleConvoy wrote:Rescue bots and RID are too kiddy. (IMO)
G1 is too kiddy. (IMO)
Re: Season 4 Speculated to be the last for Transformers: Rescue Bots (1851555)
Posted by o.supreme on January 10th, 2017 @ 10:23am CST
Sabrblade wrote:
BattleConvoy wrote:Rescue bots and RID are too kiddy. (IMO)
G1 is too kiddy. (IMO)

Never understood your absolute disdain for the original series, but whatever... BC never stated what RB/RiD were "too kiddy" in comparison with... we all know you love these shows, and that's fine, but stick with what you are good at - defend the show, instead of needlessly attacking others.
Re: Season 4 Speculated to be the last for Transformers: Rescue Bots (1855585)
Posted by WreckerJack on January 29th, 2017 @ 7:02am CST
I like that Rescue Bots is cute. Sometimes with all the stressful crap thats on TV and in real life it's nice to watch something innocent and funny. Same reason I like sponge bob.

Buy "Transformers Titans Return Arcee Action Figure Set" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon" on AMAZON
Buy "Masterpiece MPM-7 Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Skytread" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #271 - Meh-pisode
"Meh-pisode"
Posted: Friday, March 5th, 2021

Buy "Transformers Rescue Bots Academy Salvage & Whirl the flight bot & Hot Spot" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers  Rescue Bot Quickshadow" on EBAY
Buy "Playskool Transformers Rescue Bots DANI BURNS & (2) BLADES FLIGHT BOTS Figure" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Cliffjumper 2019 Figure Deluxe Class Earthrise War Cybertron Hasbro" on EBAY
Buy "Playskool Heroes Transformers Rescue Bots Bumblebee Rescue Guard 10-Inch" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Robot Academy Medix the Doc-Bot Action Figure" on EBAY
Buy "VINTAGE 1984 TRANSFORMERS G1, Devastator , SCAVENGER + SCRAPPER, Takara, Japan" on EBAY
Buy "WFC-S37 BRUNT Transformers War for Cybertron Siege Deluxe Hasbro 2019 MIB Sealed" on EBAY