Thursday, July 23rd, 2020 8:46pm CDT

Categories: Company News, Knock Offs
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 41,662

Big news for Hasbro's fight against knock off (KO) toys. There has been an investigation by the Shanghai police which started back in April when Hasbro China reported on Weijiang's activities. For those unaware, Weijiang is a Chinese company that makes knock off Transformers toys. This investigation has lead to a raid of Weijiang's factories and five arrests. The charges are for allegedly designing, producing and selling counterfeit Transformers toys. We also learnt of the process. A designer would take the the official toys apart and map out the designs he would then sell to Weijiang.
You can read more about this in the following article from Shine.cn: https://www.shine.cn/news/metro/2007232766/ .

Transformers News: Shanghai Police Crack Down on Transformers KOs, Raiding Factories and Arresting People

Credit(s): Shine.cn

This article was last modified on Thursday, July 23rd, 2020 8:49pm CDT

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: Shanghai Police Crack Down on Transformers KOs, Raiding Factory and Arresting People (2073411)
Posted by Cheetron on July 23rd, 2020 @ 9:07pm CDT
Wondered where all the knockoffs on Amazon went to overnight. Now I know and it's better for that!
Re: Shanghai Police Crack Down on Transformers KOs, Raiding Factory and Arresting People (2073414)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on July 23rd, 2020 @ 9:20pm CDT
Look like the Weijiang toys will become rare hot collectibles pretty soon.
Re: Shanghai Police Crack Down on Transformers KOs, Raiding Factory and Arresting People (2073417)
Posted by Ultra Markus on July 23rd, 2020 @ 9:44pm CDT
i wonder if those oversized combiner wars figures will be rare now
Re: Shanghai Police Crack Down on Transformers KOs, Raiding Factory and Arresting People (2073418)
Posted by LE0KING on July 23rd, 2020 @ 9:46pm CDT
That's a real shame. WeiJiang took alot of the crappier hasbro designs and fixed them. They would upscale some figures, add articulation where needed, overall good things.
Re: Shanghai Police Crack Down on Transformers KOs, Raiding Factory and Arresting People (2073419)
Posted by sol magnus on July 23rd, 2020 @ 9:48pm CDT
Welp. Hadda happen eventually.
Re: Shanghai Police Crack Down on Transformers KOs, Raiding Factory and Arresting People (2073420)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on July 23rd, 2020 @ 9:49pm CDT
Ultra Markus wrote:i wonder if those oversized combiner wars figures will be rare now

They will if Ebay suddenly forbid their sale and the authorities command the remaining stocks to be destroyed. This is the most likely scenario.

I wonder if it's just Weijiang that is affected, or is it all the KOs? Because I ordered yesterday the undersized MP-10V trailer for a custom and it would suck if I could no longer receive it despite the thing being marked as shipped.
Re: Shanghai Police Crack Down on Transformers KOs, Raiding Factory and Arresting People (2073421)
Posted by DeathReviews on July 23rd, 2020 @ 9:59pm CDT
Re: Shanghai Police Crack Down on Transformers KOs, Raiding Factory and Arresting People (2073422)
Posted by sol magnus on July 23rd, 2020 @ 10:05pm CDT
DeathReviews wrote:I think Hasbro is just jealous because some fly-by-night losers can make the toys bigger and better than THEY can...

By reverse engineering their designs? Are you joking or is this a "blame the victim" thing?
Re: Shanghai Police Crack Down on Transformers KOs, Raiding Factory and Arresting People (2073423)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on July 23rd, 2020 @ 10:10pm CDT
sol magnus wrote:

I think it's the usual troll-n-run tactic.
Replying nonsense via the news article without ever entering the thread, and never replying to anything afterward. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Re: Shanghai Police Crack Down on Transformers KOs, Raiding Factory and Arresting People (2073424)
Posted by Gauntlet101010 on July 23rd, 2020 @ 10:20pm CDT
I don't buy many KOs, but I've bought a couple. So I guess I feel bad for the KO people since they really did make some good toys ... out of designs they outright stole.

A part of me is a bit more tempted to get the oversized combiners while I can find them easily. But that's the relentless consumerist in me.
Re: Shanghai Police Crack Down on Transformers KOs, Raiding Factory and Arresting People (2073425)
Posted by DeathReviews on July 23rd, 2020 @ 10:24pm CDT
sol magnus wrote:

Hasbro's got their "Masterpiece" line for high end stuff - except they keep remaking those too. If the normal figures weren't lacking, then 3rd party enhancement companies (and their dark cousins the "KO" outfits) wouldn't have such a huge market. Sure it's better to buy the official merchandise. But it's also better when the official merchandise is made with enough quality that nobody would bother with 3rd party and KO figures....
Re: Shanghai Police Crack Down on Transformers KOs, Raiding Factory and Arresting People (2073426)
Posted by sol magnus on July 23rd, 2020 @ 10:32pm CDT
DeathReviews wrote:
sol magnus wrote:

The guy above you would disprove part of your thesis. He buys them not because of quality at all - but because they're oversized versions of Hasbro figures. If Hasbro is "jealous", they'd be right to be, since they are literally selling their stuff and not getting a cut of it.

I don't buy knock-offs. I will buy the occasional 3rd party figure to fill in a collection gap, but I always get the official of any character I do this with. We can debate the merits of IP infringement in both cases, but with the knock-offs it's indefensible. With 3rd party figures, Hasbro isn't actually losing any money (in my case).
Re: Shanghai Police Crack Down on Transformers KOs, Raiding Factory and Arresting People (2073427)
Posted by Burn on July 23rd, 2020 @ 10:41pm CDT

But hey, I'm sure people will still find a way to hate on Hasbro for it, I'm sure if they had something they created stolen they might think otherwise. >:oP
Re: Shanghai Police Crack Down on Transformers KOs, Raiding Factory and Arresting People (2073428)
Posted by -WonkoTheSane- on July 23rd, 2020 @ 10:47pm CDT
DeathReviews wrote:If the normal figures weren't lacking, then 3rd party enhancement companies (and their dark cousins the "KO" outfits) wouldn't have such a huge market.

Exactly. I was just looking across their oversized combiners about a week ago.
My Combiner Wars Superion, For example, Looks downright puny next to Combiner Wars Devastator (As do all of the other combiners, Really).
As you can see from my profile picture, I really like the IDW designs and characters. If Hasbro made more figures of them, 3d party stuff (Like MMC, For example) wouldn't need to exist. This ties back into the combiner thing; I'm not the only one dissatisfied with the size difference, Thus, A company made oversized ones. I'll not get into the legality, But it's simple supply vs demand. If theres a void in a market that a company isn't filling, Someone else will always fill that void. Hasbro can play wack-a-mole forever, But it's like Hydra. Cut off one head, Two more shall grow back.
The only way for Hasbro/Takara to if not permanently stop this, But at least slow it down a bit, Would be to try to fill that void, Lest others inevitably will.
Re: Shanghai Police Crack Down on Transformers KOs, Raiding Factory and Arresting People (2073429)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on July 23rd, 2020 @ 10:51pm CDT
Burn wrote:Not to mention the investment (time, money, etc) Hasbro has put into each figure, something the KO companies don't have to worry about as reverse engineering is a lot easier than engineering from scratch.

Exactly.

It's pretty damn easy to say "HASBLOW MAED CRAP!" when Hasbro/Takara have to...

-- Develop the toy from scratch.
-- Then having a specific limited budget for each toy.
-- And having to deal with safety measures dictated by the laws of so many countries worldwide.

The KO company don't have to deal with any of those points. It's piss-easy to improves things when you don't have to invent anything and having no limitations.
Re: Shanghai Police Crack Down on Transformers KOs, Raiding Factory and Arresting People (2073430)
Posted by Regimus Prime on July 23rd, 2020 @ 11:15pm CDT
Re: Shanghai Police Crack Down on Transformers KOs, Raiding Factory and Arresting People (2073431)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on July 23rd, 2020 @ 11:20pm CDT
Regimus Prime wrote:Good riddance to bad rubbish. Like I've said before when we were discussing the Haslab Unicron vs. whatever copy cat 3rd party option is out there, I really don't see this counterfeit producing and embracing culture in other fandoms like MOTU, Star Wars or G.I. Joe. It's completely frowned upon and you'd be ridiculed to no end if you even tried it in the sneaker head culture. Knock off J's? Pffft!!! GTFOH! But in Transformers fandom, it's welcomed. I don't understand how online retailers like BBTS, TF Source and others carry the official products and the blatant rip off 3rd party figures. The 3rd party companies make some good products, why not create their own lines and market them with accompanying media such as cartoons, comics, video games and movies? Oh, I know, it's much cheaper and far more convenient to lat the official license holder make that investment and then capitalize on it. :BOT:

I'll give you the TlDr:

3P =/= KO
Re: Shanghai Police Crack Down on Transformers KOs, Raiding Factory and Arresting People (2073434)
Posted by o.supreme on July 24th, 2020 @ 12:40am CDT
I've only purchased one KO, and it was just recently. I see a lot of people here talking about over sized CW combiners. I think the ones released by TT/Hasbro were very well done for the most pat, it's just that Devastator and Predaking were too big IMHO (they are great toys, and I purchased them, just not to scale with anything else other than other Titans). Better to shrink two combiners, than try to purchase 20+ larger ones. So I just bought Taikongzahns undersized Devastator, and it is actually pretty good.

Not like the $10 combiners original series rips that used to sell at flea markets 10-15 years ago that would literally fall apart when you tried to transform them. I'm still hoping for an undersized Predaking. But we'll see.

I don't expect TT/Hasbro to please all of the fans all of the time, that would be impossible. So since there's always someone that's going to be "I'd rather this toy be "Y", than "X", (bigger, smaller, different colors, different accessories etc...) it's likely some 3P or KO is going to make it, if enough people ask for it.
Re: Shanghai Police Crack Down on Transformers KOs, Raiding Factory and Arresting People (2073435)
Posted by Burn on July 24th, 2020 @ 12:41am CDT
-Kanrabat- wrote:I'll give you the TlDr:

3P =/= KO

Exactly.

3P, while I don't buy it, only "steals" the character likeness, they do their own design and engineering.

KO just steals everything, does a bit of reverse engineering, slaps together some molds, pours in some questionable plastic, bit of assembly and toss it out there as either a KO, or, and this is what shits me the most, the genuine article.
Re: Shanghai Police Crack Down on Transformers KOs, Raiding Factory and Arresting People (2073436)
Posted by -WonkoTheSane- on July 24th, 2020 @ 12:53am CDT
o.supreme wrote:Better to shrink two combiners, than try to purchase 20+ larger ones. So I just bought Taikongzahns undersized Devastator, and it is actually pretty good.

Huh. Quite short sightedly, I honestly didn't think of that. Thats a pretty good idea, One I think I'll look into.

Buy "Transformers Authentics Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars Blast Off Megatronus Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Robots in Disguise Warrior Class Autobot Ratchet" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #261 - Ratchets, Tigers and Planes
"Ratchets, Tigers and Planes"
Posted: Sunday, October 11th, 2020

Buy "Transformers Generations Fall Of Cybertron Rewind & Sunder legends class 2 pack" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Robots in Disguise RiD 2001 Cryotek MIB" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers BotBots Backpack Bunch 5-Pack Figures, Styles May Vary" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers War for Cybertron Siege GREENLIGHT & DAZZLESTRIKE MISB 2019 WFC-S15" on EBAY
Buy "????Playskool HASBRO Heroes TRANSFORMERS Rescue Bots Beam Box Game System Full Set" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Beast Hunters Predacons Rising Beast Fire Predaking Target 2013" on EBAY
Buy "2016 SDCC Hasbro Transformers Evolution SOUNDWAVE Tablet Figure" on EBAY