Strong First Quarter Sales for Hasbro

Strong First Quarter Sales for Hasbro

Monday, April 23rd, 2007 4:46pm CDT

Categories: Press Releases, Company News
Posted by: Raymond T.   Views: 14,141

CNNMoney.com has reported that Hasbro has made extra profits and sales compared to last year's losses, driven by sales of their pre-school toys, Marvel toys and Transformers toys. At $625.3 million, sales were up with 34 percent from last year.

Regarding Transformers, the company said it expects to start shipping products to stores in the second quarter, a few days before its debut in early July. Although Hasbro owns the "Transformers" brand, the company's CFO, David Hargreaves clarified that the toymaker did not finance the movie from DreamWorks Pictures and Paramount and therefore will not get a percentage of the gross sales. Hasbro's revenues from the movie are tied only to product sales.

More details can be in Hasbro's official press release.

Credit(s): www.cnnmoney.com, Hasbro.com

Re: Strong First Quarter Sales for Hasbro (95636)
Posted by bionic_radical on April 23rd, 2007 @ 5:39pm CDT
and this will effect more classics... how?
Re: Strong First Quarter Sales for Hasbro (95639)
Posted by ShGarland_1383 on April 23rd, 2007 @ 5:40pm CDT
Is the part where they're not getting a percentage of the movie's gross sales good or bad? I'd like to think they were getting something from DreamWorks for the movie besides the movie toys. Royalties maybe? This money stuff is so confusing it kinda hurts a little. Glad things are up for them though.
Re: Strong First Quarter Sales for Hasbro (95643)
Posted by Kenny28 on April 23rd, 2007 @ 5:43pm CDT
Does more money mean better toys?
Re: Strong First Quarter Sales for Hasbro (95645)
Posted by Robinson on April 23rd, 2007 @ 5:44pm CDT
Re: Strong First Quarter Sales for Hasbro (95653)
Posted by ShGarland_1383 on April 23rd, 2007 @ 5:49pm CDT
bionic_radical wrote:and this will effect more classics... how?

Maybe I'm over-simplifying things a bit over here, but either they're smart enough to make more, or they're not. If they're not, it's really sad because Classics is the best thing they've done in quite a while. Their only mistake with Classics imo is that they're making many of the seeker repaints BotCon exclusives when they should be filling the next wave or so of the main line. For me the movie is just like any other recent line (that had some kind of show tied to it): there's things that I'm really loving, and there's things that I'm happily passing on.
Re: Strong First Quarter Sales for Hasbro (95661)
Posted by ShGarland_1383 on April 23rd, 2007 @ 5:54pm CDT
1Big\"F\"ingRayOfSunshine wrote:They got paid for the tights to the character, but the arent making money off of the movie, just the toys that goe with it, thats why we are already seeing possible repaints, they arent movie characters therefore they make pure profit on those figures as opposed to the movie character designs

You meant rights, don't ya?

All teasing for typos aside, that makes sense. But then they'd make repaints anyway, right? That's been the standard thing to do at least since Armada (if not before that), right?
Re: Strong First Quarter Sales for Hasbro (95680)
Posted by 1337W422102 on April 23rd, 2007 @ 6:05pm CDT
Sales would have been even stronger if they had released a certain "Decepticon Air Strike Pack" under the Classics banner...
Re: Strong First Quarter Sales for Hasbro (95708)
Posted by Liege Evilmus on April 23rd, 2007 @ 6:23pm CDT
bionic_radical wrote:and this will effect more classics... how?

Well you see, :lol: it's simple. If they released more Classics, they would have done even better! :P
Re: Strong First Quarter Sales for Hasbro (95737)
Posted by Spooner on April 23rd, 2007 @ 6:43pm CDT
ShGarland_1383 wrote:
bionic_radical wrote:and this will effect more classics... how?

You're not over-simplifying at all - but from a larger perspective, Hasbro's betting heavily on the "new look" from the movie. If the movie toys turn out to be a bigger success than they anticipate, we may not see any future Transformers that don't have the movie look, so the Classics may become only a memory.
Re: Strong First Quarter Sales for Hasbro (95750)
Posted by bionic_radical on April 23rd, 2007 @ 6:50pm CDT
classics started to die when they repainted BB as CJ. then came that big green construction mess. at least botcon has something worthwhile. just madly overpriced.
Re: Strong First Quarter Sales for Hasbro (95754)
Posted by Robinson on April 23rd, 2007 @ 6:52pm CDT
No I meant tights. I saw "Prime Fishnets" at walmart yesterday :P
Re: Strong First Quarter Sales for Hasbro (95842)
Posted by ShGarland_1383 on April 23rd, 2007 @ 8:08pm CDT
Spooner wrote:
ShGarland_1383 wrote:
bionic_radical wrote:and this will effect more classics... how?

Hmn. I can see that happening. I hope the don't totally go that way, though. Like I've said, some of the figures are great, and some of them not so much.

1Big\"F\"ingRayOfSunshine wrote:No I meant tights. I saw "Prime Fishnets" at walmart yesterday :P

Now why doesn't that surprise me in the slightest?
Re: Strong First Quarter Sales for Hasbro (95854)
Posted by 1337W422102 on April 23rd, 2007 @ 8:31pm CDT
ShGarland_1383 wrote:

Now why doesn't that surprise me in the slightest?

It's true, I saw them too. They were in the same aisle as the Bumble34Bee-Cups. Some Bombshells were stocking up. There were also some AstroCrossTraining shoes you could Alpha Try On.
Re: Strong First Quarter Sales for Hasbro (95930)
Posted by lockepsb on April 23rd, 2007 @ 10:07pm CDT
If they'd release more classics and alternators they might have even stronger profit reports.
Re: Strong First Quarter Sales for Hasbro (95931)
Posted by lockepsb on April 23rd, 2007 @ 10:08pm CDT
I hope no one buys the god awful movie toys so they can go back to making classics and alternators at that!!!!
Re: Strong First Quarter Sales for Hasbro (95938)
Posted by jgilkinson on April 23rd, 2007 @ 10:15pm CDT
whats sad is that we (most of us) have contributed greatly to them having a great year, at lest from the TF market, and they have seemingly cut one of the best ideas theyve produced in a while. Plus going back to the whole KO news a few days ago, they are letting big money slip away there too. I think its been proven that we buy g1 stuff lol give us more and we will probably buy that too.
Re: Strong First Quarter Sales for Hasbro (96299)
Posted by Leonardo on April 24th, 2007 @ 7:24am CDT
1337W422102 wrote:
ShGarland_1383 wrote:

Now why doesn't that surprise me in the slightest?

That last pun was like a crescendo; it finished the joke off nicely!
Re: Strong First Quarter Sales for Hasbro (96749)
Posted by City Commander on April 24th, 2007 @ 2:09pm CDT
Classics obviously helped this high profit.

Damnit Hasbro! Take a hint! Release more Classics!
And maybe even some more Alternators. But preferably more Classics.
Re: Strong First Quarter Sales for Hasbro (96767)
Posted by Brakethrough on April 24th, 2007 @ 2:21pm CDT
I think they're going to skyrocket with the release of the movie, and keep doing well into the next toyline/cartoon's run because of it. As a result, their seondary lines, like Alternators, Titanium, and hopefully Classics, will be along for the ride as profits soar.
Re: Strong First Quarter Sales for Hasbro (100374)
Posted by MagnusPrimal on April 26th, 2007 @ 11:12pm CDT
If they continue with Classics now, they really are idiots. Not because I don't like Classics, or don't think they'd do well, but because they're allowing three of the most-often-requested Classics to be exclusive figures. Why would they do that if they're continuing the line? I don't think it's right, and I don't think it's a good idea, but I think they've ended the line.
I could be wrong though. Maybe they just thought the remaining seekers wouldn't sell to the collectors at whom the line seems to be targeted.

Buy "Transformers Authentics Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 10 Deluxe Class Movie 1 Autobot Jazz" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Windblade" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #267 - Netflix Earthrise Reviewed
"Netflix Earthrise Reviewed"
Posted: Monday, December 28th, 2020

Buy "Transformers IF EX-26R Racing Bros. Retrograde (Runabout)(Runamuck)" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Prime RID Arcee Deluxe Class NEW" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers HUB Dark Of The Moon Cyberverse: MEGATRON (Unopened) Series 1 003" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS BUMBLEBEE CYBERVERSE ADVENTURES DELUXE SOUNDWAVE w/ LASERBEAK MIB" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS Kingdom War For Cybertron Trilogy LEADER CLASS OPTIMUS PRIME NEW" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers IRONWORKS Earthrise War for Cybertron Trilogy Hasbro brand new" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Robot Academy Medix the Doc-Bot Action Figure" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers War for Cybertron Earthrise Quintesson Judge Allicon Sharkticon Lot" on EBAY