Takara Tomy TG-23 Metroplex Video - Possible SDCC Version?

Transformers News: Takara Tomy TG-23 Metroplex Video - Possible SDCC Version?

Wednesday, June 26th, 2013 10:28AM CDT

Categories: Toy News, Digital Media News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 26,361

YouTube reporter Atamaii has uploaded a video from the Tokyo Toy Fair that gives us a good look at Takara Tomy TG-23 Metroplex. Among other things confirms that the figure will come with two guns, rather than just the one like the Hasbro version, a chrome face and slightly different paint apps. The video also claims that this version is the same as the exclusive Comic Con one. Is this also the SDCC version?

Take a look at the embedded video, and discuss it below!

Credit(s): Atamaii

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: Takara Tomy TG-23 Metroplex Video - Possible SDCC Version? (1498105)
Posted by Sabrblade on June 26th, 2013 @ 10:38am CDT
Most impressive. 8)
Re: Takara Tomy TG-23 Metroplex Video - Possible SDCC Version? (1498115)
Posted by gothsaurus on June 26th, 2013 @ 10:54am CDT

Nice that the box is same size as Fort Max.
Re: Takara Tomy TG-23 Metroplex Video - Possible SDCC Version? (1498117)
Posted by Ravage XK on June 26th, 2013 @ 11:20am CDT
Looks like it also has a lot of black "dirt" detailing or something, or is that just a painted up example?
Re: Takara Tomy TG-23 Metroplex Video - Possible SDCC Version? (1498118)
Posted by gothsaurus on June 26th, 2013 @ 11:26am CDT
Yeah, that is a bit confusing including that in the video. The one at the right (with the red detailing on top of his chest bit) is a custom. Not for sale or appearing in the Hasbro/Takara/or ComicCon line.
Re: Takara Tomy TG-23 Metroplex Video - Possible SDCC Version? (1498131)
Posted by Banjo-Tron on June 26th, 2013 @ 12:09pm CDT
Dat face!

This version is way nicer than the Hasbro one. Especially the additional paint on the uper legs and groin area (oo-err)

It also looks like they might have done away with the pictures of the Autobots in the 'control centre' which I'm very happy about. Although maybe they're there and I just ain't seeing them?
Re: Takara Tomy TG-23 Metroplex Video - Possible SDCC Version? (1498148)
Posted by Nemesis Destron on June 26th, 2013 @ 1:24pm CDT
Sold!!! :DANCE: :VEHI:
Re: Takara Tomy TG-23 Metroplex Video - Possible SDCC Version? (1498149)
Posted by xyl360 on June 26th, 2013 @ 1:27pm CDT
Takara does it again. I wasn't expecting there to be nearly as much additional paint detail as there is on him. It's like night and day to me, although where the paint differences and plastic color differences are has a lot to do with it I think. All those paint apps really nicely compliment the look of the figure and do wonders to break up all that white plastic.

I was already getting Takara's and skipping Hasbro's, but after finally getting to see his full details, I'm even more comfortable with my decision (as well as the much higher price point).

I'm still curious to see if SDCC is getting a Metrotitan repaint. I may have to get it if they are.
Re: Takara Tomy TG-23 Metroplex Video - Possible SDCC Version? (1498152)
Posted by Gearslide on June 26th, 2013 @ 1:44pm CDT
He clearly said that the normal Takara version (the one on the left, not the custom on the right) was the "same as the Comic-con version".

That's a relief. I won't have to worry about refreshing the Hasbro Toyshop website every 3 seconds this year.
Re: Takara Tomy TG-23 Metroplex Video - Possible SDCC Version? (1498167)
Posted by dedcat on June 26th, 2013 @ 2:24pm CDT
I say to myself: Good lord... am I really going to shell out $250 for this frikin thing. Thats a lot of money.

And I reply: Yes, you idiot. You already per-ordered it months ago.
Re: Takara Tomy TG-23 Metroplex Video - Possible SDCC Version? (1498171)
Posted by dedcat on June 26th, 2013 @ 2:38pm CDT
gothsaurus wrote:Did I hear that right? Sounded like he said Japanese version is same as ComicCon.

Nice that the box is same size as Fort Max.

My take on "...Same as comic-con version" is that the comic-con exclusive will also include the 2 large blasters and it was not a reference to the color/deco. It's a vague enough comment that I'm still open to the idea of a repaint color scheme, which will most likely be Metro Titan as many have speculated.
Re: Takara Tomy TG-23 Metroplex Video - Possible SDCC Version? (1498214)
Posted by dabattousai on June 26th, 2013 @ 6:25pm CDT
I'll take a whack at obtaining the SDCC one, but if all else fails, I will import this version. The two guns make the city mode look more lively and if Reprolabels does an upgrade sticker set similar to the G1 version, this will look amazing.
Re: Takara Tomy TG-23 Metroplex Video - Possible SDCC Version? (1498252)
Posted by Powered Convoy on June 26th, 2013 @ 9:37pm CDT
Yeah clearly the same as the SDCC version is referencing the two guns alone. The SDCC one has a chrome and thighs and comes with two guns. The other details are different (like the chrome on the thighs).

Randy
Re: Takara Tomy TG-23 Metroplex Video - Possible SDCC Version? (1498287)
Posted by MGrotusque on June 26th, 2013 @ 10:47pm CDT
I'll wait for retail.
Re: Takara Tomy TG-23 Metroplex Video - Possible SDCC Version? (1498312)
Posted by Metrosuplex on June 27th, 2013 @ 12:03am CDT
MGrotusque wrote:I'm not entirely convinced that the extra decos are worth the extra 150 (including shipping). Sure the chrome face is nice but that's a LOT of extra cash.
I'll wait for retail.

Yeah, I agree. I'm on the fence. When I heard "EXTRA GUN!!! WOO!!!!", I was all, >:oP
The chrome face is looking BADASS, though. :x

I need to see some side-by-side shots to really decide for sure. And if the Takara version is really THAT amazing, it'll probably join a Hasbro version. For $100 or so, how could I NOT buy the Hasbro version? I mean, how often does a G1-ish Metroplex come around? :x

Ending Soon On eBay

3 Platinum Transformers Hasbro Armada of Cyclonus Action Figures Robot Truck Toy - Time Remaining: 7 days 3 hours 29 minutes 52 seconds
Transformers G2 DOUBLE CLUTCH GOBOTS Autobot Robot Action Figure 1994 Takara VTG - Time Remaining: 3 days 13 hours 30 minutes 34 seconds
Transformers: Robots in Disguise Power Surge Optimus Prime and Aerobolt - Time Remaining: 29 days 1 hour 36 minutes 21 seconds
SDCC Hasbro 2016 Gold Transformers Evolution Soundwave Tablet Action Figure 39.9 - Time Remaining: 6 days 1 hour 38 minutes 54 seconds
threeA Transformers Dark of the Moon Optimus Prime Painted Action Figure New - Time Remaining: 4 days 13 hours 51 minutes 14 seconds
TRANSFORMERS 5 THE LAST KNIGHT AUTOBOT HOUND ACTION FIGURES PREMIER EDITION TOY - Time Remaining: 2 days 16 hours 1 minute 27 seconds
Transformers Cybertron BLURR New RARE w DVD Planet Key - Time Remaining: 6 days 13 hours 10 minutes 44 seconds
Transformers Prime Titan 6" Figure - Megatron - Time Remaining: 2 days 6 hours 17 minutes 55 seconds
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #186 - NYCC 2017