The Hub Raises Product Placement Concerns

The Hub Raises Product Placement Concerns

Tuesday, October 5th, 2010 4:27am CDT

Categories: Company News, Digital Media News
Posted by: RodimusConvoy13   Views: 37,834

The Los Angeles Timeshas posted a story about The Hub. The article discusses the concern that much of the programming on the channel is nothing more than 30 minute infomercials for Hasbro Products.

"The notion of a toy company owning a television channel for the sole purpose of promoting their toys is egregious practice," said Susan Linn, director of the Campaign for a Commercial-Free Childhood, which has emerged as one of the Hub's harshest critics. Linn acknowledged that she had yet to see any of the network's new shows.

Shows/Products that are mentioned in the article are GI JOE, Transformers, My Little Pony and Pound Puppies.

Still, neither partner is backing off the idea that one of the objectives of the Hub is to move Hasbro's products. Nonetheless, such TV-toy tie-ins are as old as the marionettes, board games and wristwatches that sold because of the popularity of NBC's "The Howdy Doody Show," whose run began in the late 1940s.

See the full article here.

What do you think? Share your opinion in the Energon Pub Forums.

Re: The Hub Raises Product Placement Concerns (1131752)
Posted by Mindmaster on October 5th, 2010 @ 4:55am CDT
That's kinda the point of Transformers. What good is a Autobot/Decepticon figure that doesn't have some fiction behind them? Say for instance a kid gets a Megatron figure. There is no TV show to backup his... backstory (I dunno, I'm making this up along as I'm going). The kid not only wants to learn more about this specific character, but wants to hear him speak and interact with other characters. So how will that happen? By the magic of television (and a couple of comics to throw into some official cannon) of course. So take THAT, Susan Linn! :lol: :DANCE: :HEADHURTS:
Re: The Hub Raises Product Placement Concerns (1131756)
Posted by Hans on October 5th, 2010 @ 5:24am CDT
Some people really need to get a life. I had a great childhood because of these "commercials".
Re: The Hub Raises Product Placement Concerns (1131757)
Posted by chrisc4 on October 5th, 2010 @ 5:52am CDT
what's the big deal? this has been going on since 1984! i dont know about you guys but I'd rather see a little kid watching cartoons and buying toys than playing call of duty or grand theft auto. and trust me I've seen my little 5th garde cousin play that.
Re: The Hub Raises Product Placement Concerns (1131758)
Posted by NuclearConvoy on October 5th, 2010 @ 6:02am CDT
I think somebody should tell those campaigners that we are about 70 years too late for anybody to ever have a commercial free childhood and that advertising really hasnt done all that much damage in most peoples lives. Everything I saw advertised and got excited over and told my mum I wanted I didn't necessarily get, and if I did get it I genuinely enjoyed it because, well, I am fairly certain that kids aren't as dumb as people think.
Re: The Hub Raises Product Placement Concerns (1131760)
Posted by Lord Onixprime on October 5th, 2010 @ 6:05am CDT
So? Every cartoon (at least almost every one) has a toy-line ,or in some cases card game, that they are trying to get kids to buy. Kids want to play with their cartoon heroes.

The only problem here is that they don't like Hasbro having a hand in the TV station, but Hasbro has become more than a toymaker. They have books, comic books, multi-million dollar movies and video games they are collaborating on. They are an entertainment company, be it entertaining kids with toys, or with cartoons and movies about their toys.
Re: The Hub Raises Product Placement Concerns (1131763)
Posted by GEEWUN on October 5th, 2010 @ 6:13am CDT
DRAT!!! I knew this was gonna happen... I hope they pull through though.
By the way "commercial-free-childhood-campaign" WHAT THE HECK!?!?!?! Do people not have better things to do other other than criticizing commercials?

Like playing with transformers, now that is something better to do! :P
Re: The Hub Raises Product Placement Concerns (1131770)
Posted by Skyfire77 on October 5th, 2010 @ 7:14am CDT
Re: The Hub Raises Product Placement Concerns (1131771)
Posted by SLUGSLINGER81 on October 5th, 2010 @ 7:22am CDT
Re: The Hub Raises Product Placement Concerns (1131781)
Posted by whacko on October 5th, 2010 @ 7:52am CDT
What kid doesn't like toys and cartoons? I mean cartoons have had a long history of selling toys, from Hasbro's past shows, Transformers, He-Man, GI-Joe, etc to the more recent Pokemon and Bakugan and other similar titles.

Kids like cartoons because they are fun.

Kids like toys because they are fun.

Kids like playing with toys based on their favorite cartoon characters because then you get twice the fun!

Susan Linn and other people like here need to wake up and realize that kids just wanna have fun. Even if Hasbro wasn't making toys and the Hub was never conceived, kids would still want to have fun, and most of the time that fun doesn't include doing arithmetic problems.
Re: The Hub Raises Product Placement Concerns (1131783)
Posted by hinomars19 on October 5th, 2010 @ 7:54am CDT
Oh my...ok, people like this seriously need to grow up!

I'm sick of these type of folk who think they are righteous and above the rest.

Cartoons, toys, ads, it's all a win-win! The design, manufacturing, distribution, and of course the advertising keeps jobs on good peoples plates (and food on their families') And it keeps kids (and us big kids) uber happy!

Happy, well fed kids with well paid parents-these tools want to take a pop at that yet claim to be the righteous heroes of kid's welfare??

WTF??
Re: The Hub Raises Product Placement Concerns (1131792)
Posted by Blackstreak on October 5th, 2010 @ 8:08am CDT
We all know Susan Linn is right about that. The HUB's purpose is to move the toy product lines. But I'm not complaining, I love watching cartoons all the same. :grin:
Re: The Hub Raises Product Placement Concerns (1131804)
Posted by rpetras on October 5th, 2010 @ 8:28am CDT
My problem with people like this Susan Linn is that they want to raise my kid by their idea of a perfect childhood.

There are lots of options for raising a kid without commercials.

There are commercial free channels like Nick Jr. as well as on-demand. And you can always have stuff on DVD, use netflix or line up programming from the internet. Or just DVR stuff and blow through the commercials. Like I said, many, many options are out there.

My son is 3 and only recently (maybe 4 months ago) saw his first commercial! He cried because his show went away and "some junk" came on!

He is a bit bigger now and gets that they can show him stuff he may or may not want.
Re: The Hub Raises Product Placement Concerns (1131806)
Posted by Cobalt Prime on October 5th, 2010 @ 8:37am CDT

Ya know, I learned a very simple practice from my father back in the day, which was to turn down the volume knob (the mute button on the remo in later days) during the commercials. That took care of the problem without all those fancy organizations. In the early days, I remember pointing at the TV screen and declaring "I want that!" and my Mom saying "No". That was the end of it because back then, parents represented authority. Of course today's popular weak-kneed parenting practices don't help where children are allowed to scream their heads off in public if they want something they saw on TV and parents are too frightened of Big Brother to deliver a well deserved smack to restore order.

In terms of a channel consisting of programming related to Hasbro's licenses, I say if folks don't like it, it is their prerogative to change the channel and not the choice of some bleeding heart, self-righteous special interest group.
Re: The Hub Raises Product Placement Concerns (1131830)
Posted by StryderPrime on October 5th, 2010 @ 10:02am CDT
lil 2 lil 2 late to be all concern about. if a parent feel the child is watching these "toy commercial-like shows" to much then change the channel. Problem Solved
Re: The Hub Raises Product Placement Concerns (1131832)
Posted by AutobotTrainer on October 5th, 2010 @ 10:12am CDT
Cobalt Prime wrote:Terrific. Another liberal whacko out to protect our kids from what is now the "big bad toy commercial". Commercial free? I hadn't realized that kids were having seizures and foaming at the mouth with their eyes rolled up in their heads from OD-ing on commercials or toy-related TV shows.

BRAVO sir, BRAVO. Nicely said.
Re: The Hub Raises Product Placement Concerns (1131845)
Posted by Requiem Prime on October 5th, 2010 @ 10:57am CDT
I assume she wants to argue for children to grow up having more fun for its own sake than steeped with consumerism. (I don't actually know this, she could just be a crazy) But it's not the strongest position to stand for.

For one thing; It's not like commercials for stuff like toys and games are utterly scarring children or messing with their sense of restraint vs desire. Kids are going to want stuff, they always have. Children's shows from Howdy Doody on have try to make their stuff compelling so kids will want their stuff. Moreover, there's still the matter of them having, far as I know, a lot more dignity about themselves than commercials and product placement aimed at adults.

For another; fun for its own sake does not directly mean "wholesome". I'm not going to go further into that, I'll just stop with saying children can be just as disturbed as adults.

If you don't want your kids to spend all their time being marketed to, take them outside, go places and do stuff. It's not that hard.
Re: The Hub Raises Product Placement Concerns (1131849)
Posted by NatsumeRyu on October 5th, 2010 @ 11:10am CDT
And how many times have we reminded the fans that Hasbro is a company? Do we need to remind everyone else now too? Or do we live in a perfect world where you don't have to make money to make a living?

On a different tact, did she ever stop to think that kids actually enjoy the toys &/or shows [and that that might not be a bad thing]?

Personally, I love bringing peoples' dreams to life. That's why I draw, or model/animate in 3D, or build costumes, or whatever. Hasbro does something similar with their work. Unfortunately, Hasbro can't do it as a non-profit company. They can't offer their stuff for free like I can (don't doubt it would certainly be nice to get paid for what I like to do, versus making money elsewhere and trying to fit the fun stuff on the side). So they sell stuff. And there is a demand for it.

I'm confused. Does she really think that we're so good at making commercials we can make people want anything? That commercials aren't a win-win situation anymore (consumer is made aware of something they may or may not want; corporate, now selling because people know it's there, can sell enough [if it's a worthy product] to keep going as a business).

Don't tell me anybody believes commercials are why people are spending money they don't have. *face palm*

Is the community here any example? Collecters like who're here couldn't collect much if they didn't know how to budget properly.
Re: The Hub Raises Product Placement Concerns (1131861)
Posted by Cyberstrike on October 5th, 2010 @ 12:08pm CDT
Another self-righteous evil liberal conservative nutball that wants to tell people how to live, how to raise their kids, what religion to believe in, how to have sex, and waste my time with this crap. F*** YOU SUSAN LINN!
Re: The Hub Raises Product Placement Concerns (1131871)
Posted by The Legend on October 5th, 2010 @ 12:32pm CDT
Parenting... Let the TV do it.
Re: The Hub Raises Product Placement Concerns (1131875)
Posted by Dr. Caelus on October 5th, 2010 @ 12:37pm CDT
Oh... right...

Skyfire77 wrote:Campaign for a Commercial-Free Childhood - Translation: "Mummy and Daddy didn't buy me what I wanted when I was growing up, so I'm going to take it out on all of you!".

Cyberstrike wrote:Another self-righteous evil liberal conservative nutball that wants to tell people how to live, how to raise their kids, what religion to believe in, how to have sex, and waste my time with this crap. F*** YOU

AutobotTrainer wrote:
Cobalt Prime wrote:Terrific. Another liberal whacko... Of course today's popular weak-kneed parenting practices don't help where children are allowed to scream their heads off in public if they want something they saw on TV and parents are too frightened of Big Brother to deliver a well deserved smack to restore order...

BRAVO sir, BRAVO. Nicely said.

That's why I stopped coming here.

Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Bania Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers MPM04 Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe 20 Mercenary Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Legends Class Thundercracker Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #274 - Pulse Fan Fest 2021
"Pulse Fan Fest 2021"
Posted: Sunday, April 18th, 2021

Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars Battle Core Optimus Prime (Incomplete) Body" on EBAY
Buy "Takara Transformers Legends Ultra Magnus Complete w/ Alpha Trion Combiner Wars" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars ARMADA MEGATRON, Missing Head_T3" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Takara Legends LG17 Blackarachnia complete" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Fall of Cybertron #002 Soundblaster w/ Buzzsaw Voyager" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations 2012 Fall of Cybertron Deluxe Air Raid incomplete" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Combiner wars Bombshell Bio Card" on EBAY