The Seibertron Top 10 Transformer Finds of 2018
Monday, December 31st, 2018 8:23pm CSTCategories: Site Articles, Editorials
Posted by: D-Maximal_Primal Views: 31,269
The rules for this are very simple. This list is a Top 10 list of figures I, and by extend when you make your list you, purchased this year. This list is open to any Transformer from any generation or release year, so long as it arrived at your house between January 1 and December 31 of 2018. The figure doesn't even need to be a good one or a collectible one or even a big or little one; it's all about your opinion and attraction to the figure. 3rd party figures are allowed for the list, it's all on you!
So with that, let's get started!
10) Generation 1 Jetfire
This one is exciting because I found this complete in wonderful condition in person. I could not believe my eyes when I was in a Collector store and there was a guy taking pictures of it. I went over, could not believe it was complete and so perfect, and asked if it was for sale. A half out and several more G1 figures later, I had a holy grail. I could not be any happier with my fortune that day.
9) Animated Safeguard
This is a figure I did not get originally despite how much I love Animated. It took until earlier this year, but it was worth it. It was yet another grail of mine to find, except this time I was looking for it and have consistently wanted to find it.
8) Masterpiece MP-41 Dinobot
Little else needs said about this figure. They could not have done Dinobot any better. He is perfection. It is a figure long overdue, finally giving Dinobot a perfect appearance. This is a character deserving of a Masterpiece, and it is fantastic and well worth the wait.
7) Studio Series Grimlock
This was the Studio Series figure I was the most excited for, and it did not disappoint. It is a really fun figure and holy crap is it detailed. I love a figure with a great amount of detail, and Grimlock shows how vast he is with the amount of detailing he has. Not to mention how clean the robot mode is and how well painted he is. He is gorgeous, and he is fun.
6) Transformers 2007 Dropkick
This was one I did not expect to want or get, and it's even funnier considering Dropkick himself ended up in the Bumblebee movie this year. This guy, along with 8 other movie bots and 2 G1 guys, came from my buddy and Forum Admin Burn, and he is so much fun. He's a good figure, but far and away he is really fun. This is a unique looking robot that can blend into many different spots in the collection. And that con symbol is huge!
5) Takara Legends Greatshot
This one was a special one to me. I was super excited for Sixshot, and then somewhat let down. Then came Quickswitch, who was better but was harder to get. And then came this gorgeous retool. In just over a year, I went from 0 to 3 6-Changers, and they got better as they went. The retooling done to Greatshot is fantastic, and it is such a great looking unique figure. Winged space Rhino for the win and Eagle chest for the win!
4) Generation 1 Grotusque
This was another figure I got at the same time as Jetfire. And this guy has been a ton of fun for a G1 figure. It is so ugly but adorable at the same time. The spark gimmick is ridiculously fun! And I just got the updated Titans Return one too, so it's awesome to have 2 different Grotusque toys 30 years apart. And it was also cool because it only took a few reprolabels to perfect this old gem. i wish more people liked these late G1 figures like the Monsterbots and Pretenders like I do.
3) Beast Wars Tigerhawk
After watching the show, this guy was an expensive must have. But then, I found this guy pretty much mint in package for a great deal, and wow is he great. The paintwork, the sculpt, the size, the bulk, the near perfect fusion of Eagle and Arctic Tiger. It is so great! A really fun figure, I love this big bulky guy. And the fact that Tigerhawk was one of my favorite characters in the show, even if he wasn't around much, also helps. Him being the fusion of Airazor and Tigatron was also really cool.
2) Studio Series Jazz
Simply put, this guy is the definition of fun. I was not impressed when I first saw him, but in hand, Jazz is fun personified. He is small, but that's part of the charm. He is perfectly painted, fun, nice to transform, solid, and the silver color means he can go anywhere and be perfectly photogenic. He is fun, fun FUN! I love this little guy, he is near the top of my collection in terms of favorites.
Before I get to #1, a few quick Honorable Mentions. I bring these ones up because it was hard to but the list down to 10 and these ones were strong contenders:
-Beast Wars Fuzor Silverbolt - Great figure, lots of fun, one of my favorites from the show!
-Generation 1 Abominus - My first G1 combiner, pretty fun!
-Beast Wars Depthcharge - This one is huge and painted so well and also really fun! I only wish his backpack was a bit smaller, but I still love it.
-Beast Wars Dinobot II - Transmetals, I and II, are really fun, and this guy is so fierce looking I love it.
-G1 Icepick - A fun little find, I found the inner robot in a bin for a Quarter, and picked up the shell. I never thought I would find a G1 Pretender Monster!
-Hunt for the Decepticons Bludgeon - this figure is fantastic, that is all that needs said
And now, on to my Top Transformer find of the year, and the honor goes to:
1) Beast Wars Transmetal Tarantulas
The character of Tarantulas was so brilliant in Beast Wars, I needed his figure. I found him and got him right before I moved to my new apartment and job, and I have loved him since. The colors work, the chrome works, the Tarantula mode is really big and impressive, the robot mode kills, and he is so screen accurate. He is the perfect encapsulation of his amazing TV show counterpart, and I love him. And with how cool the character is, and the fact that it translated perfectly to toy form, he is my #1 Transformer find of the year.
So there is my list! With the topic now laid out in front of you, let us know you Top 10 Transformer finds of 2018!
Credit(s): D-Maximal_Primal @Seibertron
Most Popular Transformers News
TFSource News - MP-39+ Spinout, TFM Havoc Combiner Met. Vers., MM Demolisher, Machine Robo & More!14,794 views
Most Recent Transformers News
Lorenzo di Bonaventura Returns for the Next Transformers Live Action Film Releasing Summer 2022Posted 1 day ago
Posted by Randomhero on December 31st, 2018 @ 8:41pm CST
I honestly got nothing old or vintage in 2018.
If I really gotta name my top figures I got it’s gotta be and I’m in my office looking at my collection as I do this:
9: Legends Windblade
8: Power of the Primes Predaking
7: Siege Skytread
6: Power of the Primes Punch/Counterpunch
5: 2007/ 2008 Fracture(classics mirage repaint as crasher from gobots) she was one I dreamed of for 10 years. Okay there’s one old figure I got this year.
4: Power of the Primes Abominus
3: SDCC Optimal Optimus
2: Legends Overlord
1: Siege Shockwave. Yes yes I just got him 8 hours ago from making this but I’m a shockwave fan and I’ve been waiting for him for 3 months and he’s everything I hoped he would be and love him.
Posted by ZeldaTheSwordsman on December 31st, 2018 @ 8:41pm CST
Posted by Randomhero on December 31st, 2018 @ 8:44pm CST
ZeldaTheSwordsman wrote:Is listing combiners as one entry allowed?
Who cares do it! The gestalt form is an individual. Lol
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on December 31st, 2018 @ 8:51pm CST
ZeldaTheSwordsman wrote:Is listing combiners as one entry allowed?
Of course! As long as the character has a name, it doesn't matter how many pieces make up said character. Or how many it breaks in to
Posted by Randomhero on December 31st, 2018 @ 9:28pm CST
D-Maximal_Primal wrote:that's an awesome story Randomhero. Tarantulas is something really special, I'm glad so many others share their love for him
ZeldaTheSwordsman wrote:Is listing combiners as one entry allowed?
Of course! As long as the character has a name, it doesn't matter how many pieces make up said character. Or how many it breaks in to
And he still holds up! Other than his arms which have limitations he still holds up with figures 20 years later. It really shows out well engineered some of beast wars was. Some are dated but I think it’s safe to say a lot of stuff transmetal and after transmetal 2 still hold up very well. That’s why I don’t really feel some need updated and the ones that have were just. Rhinox, black arachnia rattrap, even optimal Optimus. Yeah it’s debatable on whether or not POTP optimal Optimus is a good successor to the original but to me he is. He’s better proportioned and captured what made the toy and character memorable.
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on December 31st, 2018 @ 9:47pm CST
Randomhero wrote:And he still holds up! Other than his arms which have limitations he still holds up with figures 20 years later. It really shows out well engineered some of beast wars was. Some are dated but I think it’s safe to say a lot of stuff transmetal and after transmetal 2 still hold up very well. That’s why I don’t really feel some need updated and the ones that have were just. Rhinox, black arachnia rattrap, even optimal Optimus. Yeah it’s debatable on whether or not POTP optimal Optimus is a good successor to the original but to me he is. He’s better proportioned and captured what made the toy and character memorable.
Honestly, the only thing I would want different on the Transmetals are Bicep and Thigh rotation. that is literally all they need to be perfect. It's like "G1 with Knees" but "Beast Wars with swivels"
Posted by Rodimus Prime on December 31st, 2018 @ 10:23pm CST
CW Optimus Prime with SND kit (thanks for the hook-up, itscramtastic)
TrU exclusive TLK Cybertron (for $60)
MP-28 Hot Rodimus
TLK leader class Megatron
Posted by Acolyte on December 31st, 2018 @ 11:08pm CST
10. Masterpiece "Perfect Edition" Ultra Magnus. Picked him up at a Yodobashi Camera for my first ever MP purchase. I was not disappointed! The scale is so perfectly massive in vehicle mode - my daughter LOVES packing as many cars from other lines into him as she can and just wheeling them all over the living room. His screen accuracy shines through in robot mode - just the perfect expression of PRESENCE that a transformer should have on a desk. Clean, professional, uncluttered style work super well. Will be a jewel of my collection forever.
9. Studio Series Starscream (either version). The perfect mold and perfect transformation. This is just a perfect toy. I don't know how you could improve on this - it's clear that all the engineering and tabbing/sliding/storing details that went into this mold formed the philosophical basis for what will be the hallmark features of War for Cybertron: quality, articulation, detail, fun.
8. The Siege weaponizers. The soft plastic, perfect paint apps, blast FX, and excellent tabbing make these shine more than any small toy Hasbro ever crafted in the Prime Wars lines. These make the micromasters look downright stupid by comparison. I will buy as many weaponizers as Hastak want to make for this line - keep 'em coming!
7. Perfect Effect Mega Doragon. I never got to buy the original Transmetal 2 Megatron. It is the one toy that to this day would absolutely make me squeal in delight if it arrived on my front door. Perfect Effect took everything I liked and wanted about the original and dialed it to 11. The transformation is complex, if just a tad tedious (you're best just taking the massive wings off while you do it and reattaching at the end), and the head tail is just too damn long and flimsy. But my God is it a work of art. It's probably a bit TOO massive, despite my love of the dimensions. I can't fit this thing anywhere without my wife complaining. The quality is everything I expect at the MP price point (or better, considering my last 2 real world MP purchases had massive QC issues). Two thumbs way up for this release that I was more than a little hesitant to pre-order.
6. Perfect Effect Beast Gorira. Everything I loved about PE's Mega Doragon treatment can also be said about this guy. Improves on the Hasbro release in every way. I can't believe I missed the Primal Prime release - would buy instantly on a reissue.
5. Takara Legendary Optimus (from Bumblebee movie). This should have been an MPM release with die cast parts, but I'm not complaining. The judicious use of chrome really works for this character, and I prefer the edgier take on the robot mode (and MPM-ish scale) compared to what we're going to eventually see with the very, super, mega-conservative G1 styled SS release. The joints are ratchety and firm in all the right ways without being a pain in the a**. It comes together in a very nice-looking G1-style cab. For a new collector like me with little in the way of Optimus (something 2018/2019 look to be blitzing on with menace) this was a very nice addition to the studio group. His gun also transforms and settles in to his back perfectly to give the trapezius/lats a boost, and they attach under the cab to get tucked away in vehicle mode with no issues. This was ignored/overlooked by most collectors for some really silly reasons - easily the best Optimus of 2018 (considering most people won't find the Siege version before 2019).
4. Takara Legends Windblade. I know she got low points from you for her "gappiness", but I always thought the Titans Return version looked atrocious. She's supposed to be a super hot geisha warrior, and her Titans Return proportions were stocky and ridiculous. The Takara Legends release has superior coloring and succeeds in making her look effeminate and stylish. Her little hair piece comes off and can be held as a fan! Her sword sheath clips right on to her hip for easy carrying in robot mode (and has vehicle mode storage to boot). Some sections of plastic were a bit flimsy for mashing together in vehicle mode (she was probably planned originally for a more deluxe-ish scale), but the look works and mine has few issues coming apart while playing unless my daughter is bashing her against things.
3. Takara Legends Waspinator. The penultimate form for this character. This toy has never been and will never be better than this. Perfect size. Perfectly executed wing flap gimmick. Everything tabs in super solid and looks amazing (and show accurate) in beast and robot modes. Best insect transformer bar none.
2. Heinrad. I've lived in Japan for 2 years, and I've always wanted to get one of the carved wooden Tanuki statues for our apartment. I figured out this dude (from Beast Wars Neo) existed from a Seibertron listicle, and knew immediately he was the one. A bit hard to find except online; wife picked him up for the perfect Christmas present. He's finnicky and an absolute nightmare of a shellformer (and his little alarm clock gimmick is just weird), but I love him so. This has convinced me I will NOT be getting the Big Convoy encore reissue.
1. Generations Toys "Tyrant" (Stealth Bomber Megatron). This is an AMAZING take on the legends scale release, with improvements everywhere in detail, coloring, styling, and quality. The masterpiece scale and quality shines through with perfection. I feel like I'm holding something that flew off the screen while I was watching Nausicaa or something! The box it comes in looks great, will last forever, and is impervious to most damage. It comes with an amazing transforming stand that is absolutely the best stand I have ever seen or owned for any character ever. The fact that I got it on "clearance" is absolutely shocking. I don't know how there were any more versions of this character to be found, but you'd better hope there are more and you'd better get one while you can.
Yes, 3 of my Top 10 are third party. The only 3 I've ever been brave enough to purchase. That's insane Hastak! Take some risks! Get your QC under control. You easily missed out on $450 due to lack of imagination.
Honorable Mention: MPM-7 Bumblebee. Just because I think this is one of the best vehicle mode treatments I've seen in the MPM line. Love the fading orange and blue windows. Super duper classy, got at super great price ($80!), and fun to transform. Robot mode is probably the best expression of the character to date, just nothing super special about an oversaturated character.
Posted by Grahf_ on December 31st, 2018 @ 11:09pm CST
20: Guren Dragotron. Simply a beautiful figure. Large and intimidating.
19: Energon Quickstrike. A mold nobody really talks about. The colors are pretty nice and aeiral alt-mode Autobots are always a welcome addition.
18: Cybertron legends class Starscream, Skywarp, Sunstorm, Thrust and Ramjet. What a great little mold. I'm waiting impatiently to find the redecos of Starscream and Ramjet to get all versions of the mold.
17: Armada deluxe Nemesis Prime with Run-Over, Armada Deluxe Optimus Prime with Over-Run and Universe deluxe Ultra Magnus with Over-Run. Another fun mold and it looks great in all colors. Now to get the rest of the Optimus Prime redecos.
16: Arms Micron Skywarp and Prime First Edition 2-pack purple Starscream. Yet another really fun mold. I don't see it as being feminine but I still want Slipstream nonetheless. Not to mention Thundercracker and Dark Energon Starscream.
15: Armada Tidal Wave with Ramjet. Another big and intimidating bot. A really fun mold too.
14: OTFCC Sunstreaker. I consider the Autobot brothers molds to be female in my collection so this was a much needed addition to my female Autobot ranks.
13: Universe Depthcharge. I really like the colors on him. Just such an odd redeco in a time when odd redecos were the norm. I miss those times.
12: Cybertron Scrapmetal (red). I really hate that it took me so long to get some of these figures and this is no exception. It's a fun little toy and I want more now.
11: Energon Inferno. What's to say, it's pretty good.
10: G1 Reissue Piranacon. I have a really bad memory when it comes to my childhood but one of the things that stands out still is getting the originals for Christmas all those years ago. These are the only G1 figures in my collection still and will probably be the only ones. I love this set. The colors, the alt modes, turning one into a gun, the display stands, everything. I love them.
9: Universe Nemesis Prime. Another beautiful mold. It's just a shame that there's so much kibble. It says a lot that it's still a good mold despite all that kibble.
8: 2010 Brimstone and RTS Chopsaw. Another fun little mold with a unique transformation and overall look.
7: Galaxy Force Exigeyser/Cybertron Cybertron Defense Force Scattorshot. The price of a complete one of these is too damn high sometimes. However someone posted the Galaxy Force version and threw enough people off the trail for me to pick it up for really cheap. I want a second one but I don't think I'm going to be lucky enough to get him for that cheap again.
6: United Wipe-Out and Windcharger. When I first got my hands on Titans Return Windcharger and Tailgate I just had to get these guys too to go along with the T30 and CW versions. Wipeout is great and if you can get him, do.
5: Henkei regular and Specialist Galvatron. I actually like the Universe Galvatron mold. I have two of the Universe, two Challenge of Cybertron, two Henkei and one Specialist as drones. I want one more Specialist and two Platinum to finish out. Maybe two of the United translucent version but a translucent version of this mold worries me.
4: Botcon Ironhide. I like Energon molds as well. This mold just works so well as Ironhide. I doubt I'll ever get Ratchet for as low as I got Ironhide for.
3: Henkei Strafe with Rocketbot. A really good mold in nice colors. I got two this year to act as drones for RTS Strafe. I like having larger bots being flanked by smaller versions of themselves for some reason.
2: Armada Prowl. Regardless of what mode it's in, it looks good. An awesome looking car mode, a decent robot mode and a convincing gun mode. A really good Minicon.
1: Know that number 1 is Universe Razorclaw. Out of everyone, I think Razorclaw and Guren Dragotron might be my favorites on this list. They both look great.
If your'e still there, here's some non-Hasbro Transformers and other figures. I'll keep this list smaller since most of these I bought at retail and to me, that doesn't count.
10: Figuarts Card Captors Sakura. A cute little figure.
9: Planet X Grimlock, Slag, Swoop and Snarl. I'll cheat here as I got them all in one lot for about the price of just one of them normally.
8: Maketoys Giant type 61. I love my UW Devastator but I wanted something in scale with my CW/UW/PotP combiners.
7: MMPR Serpentera. Complete and unbroken from shipping! What an imposing figure.
6: Power Ranger in Space Astro Megazord. I actually got like two and a half and a KO of these all within two months. I never had this Megazord at all before then.
5: Big Bad Beetleborgs Roboborg. I had no idea how awesome this was. Another one I never had until now.
4: Dinozaurs "Progress Change" gold and green Giganodrago. I have the standard version but I seen this recolor in box and had to have it. I have no idea if this is a KO or not but I don't care. This was probably the only older thing I purchased this year that I spent more than I would've liked on.
3: Geo Greymon to Rize Greymon. I bought the "jointed orange bull" on eBay knowing what it was and I don't regret it. I could resell it for about 4 times what I paid but I like the damn thing too much.
2: Maketoys Paladin/Chaos. I like it but what were they thinking when they designed this? It's not like it's based on an existing PCC figure so why is Paladin so awkward to pose in Paladin and Chaos modes? The restrictions are just a little odd for something they designed completely themselves.
1: Targetroid Starscream. Now if only I had one more deluxe Starscream. I have Potp SS, Shattered Glass SS, UW Ghost SS, Golden Lagoon SS, LG Ghost SS Headmaster, Gacha Arma Micron SS and Targetroid SS. Just one Starscream away from an all Starscream combiner.
5: Shining Resonance Refrain for Nintendo Switch.
4: Reverie for Playstation Vita.
3: Summon Night: Twin Age for Nintendo DS.
2: Dragon Ball Z: Attack of the Saiyans for Nintendo DS.
1: Suikoden III Manga.
I seem to have really spoiled myself this year but I couldn't resist those prices. Some things I got in lots with figures I already had so I was able to sell what I didn't need to save and even make money.
Posted by Mythic_Gears on December 31st, 2018 @ 11:17pm CST
I have been having a tough time remembering what I got this year as I only really started collecting in the back half of the year.
Honourable Mention: TLK Cogman: A great figure with a fantastic amount of detail in both modes. speaking of both modes, he is incredible in both and the added titan master feature is great nod to a feature that never came to pass in the film. The only reason he doesn't make the list is that mine came with large stress marks on his leg panels that deter me from playing with him more.
10. SS Stinger:Literally the only deluxe I wanted out of the the first wave of SS figures and even then I didn't get him till a couple days ago, but damn is he fun. His transformation is a blast and his car mode is gorgeous. His robot mode is great too, but I think that his head could have used more paint and his backpack sticks out a bit too far for my liking.
9. SS Starscream: Such a great figure with insane posability and an absolutely beautiful jet mode. transformation is great and pretty simple for a voyager. Too bad i am not a big fan of this starscream design or he would definitely place higher.
8. TLK Nitro Zeus:To be honest, I don't know if I got this guy in 2018 or not.(If not then take him out and move everyone else down one, if you are a real stickler for the rules) That aside he is so much fun and the Titan master compatibility makes him even better even if it looks a tad ridiculous at times(especially with cogman). His transformation is ingenious and I love his asymmetrical robot design, plus he is a blast to pose.
7. TLK Hot Rod: I honestly did not expect this guy to be this high up especially since I didn't like his character, but I have had a hard time putting him down. I just find him really fun and his design is fantastic as is his car mode. I actually ended up giving him Cogman's sword and it has yet to back to cogman because it just goes really well.
6. SS Blackout: I was looking forward to this guy since his announcement and did he deliver. Both Robot and Helicopter modes are great and imposing. Plus he is HUGE in copter mode.
5. Studio Series Jazz: A rather late addition as I got him with Stinger only a couple of days ago but man is he so much fun and unexpected at that. I was honestly sceptical at first because he is so small but he does not disappoint. He has the right amount of possibility and great detail. Both modes are great even if mine has some rather large panel lines in car mode.
4. G1 Devastator: Having grown up long after G1 finished and not being into the brand till the first live action movie G1 toys have always interested me. Especially the combiners, so when the reissue of this set was announced i knew I had to have it, and it did not disappoint. All the individual robots are fun if rather simple and they look great together when combined.
3. Studio Series VW BEE: This is my definitive Bee. Extremely fun in robot mode and he comes with so many accessories that make up for his finicky transformation. Even vehicle mode looks good when you put in the effort.
2. POTP Battletrap Great balance, great poseability ,great gimmick, great fun. He also looks phenomenal. I was my only one of two figures I wanted from power of the primes (sadly I couldn't find the other one I wanted, Rodimus Unicronus) and man I honestly don't know what to say about this figure that has not already been said.
1. Studio Series Optimus No matter what people say, this figure is fantastic. I acknowledge the flaws like the dark colors and backpack as well as some exposed hinges but none of that stuff bugs me any more now that he is in my hands. His possibility is only really rivaled by Battletrap and because of that he is so much fun. I only wish he came with a gun or two. His truck mode looks great too and transformation is fun. I genuinely have a hard time putting this guy down.
Posted by Megatron Wolf on December 31st, 2018 @ 11:44pm CST
10:PoP Leader Rodimus
9: SS voyager optimus
8: SS leader blackout
7: PoP Abominus
6: KO modernized G1 Megatron
5: LK Legion Dragonstorm
4: Bumblebee Legion Optimus
3: Walmart G1 Starscream
2: Walmart G1 minibots
1: Walmart G1 Hot Rod
Best part about getting these was i didnt pay full price on a single one
Posted by GeekyGamer Gal on January 1st, 2019 @ 1:30am CST
10. POTP Grimlock. Found on on shelves shortly before Gregg Berger came to the closest convention to me and got it signed. Great fun at the convention, and well, I couldn't really put any of my Perceptors here as I've had them for years...
9. G1 Astrotrain. He's a fun little guy, which wound up being "given" back to me for storage, and how often do we even steam trains anymore?
8. POTP Moonracer. I gotta say I embrace the female representation, and it is awesome to see a general release for characters that have not had one in thirty plus years. She's just good fun to pose, and I'm soo looking forward to the Seige Greenlight exclusive so I get 4/5ths of a Elita-1nfinite.
7. SS Dropkick. I love the murder face he's got, and the articulation is great. I just enjoy having him on my desk so I can remember the sheer joy of a "good" (opinion here) Transformers movie.
6. TR Mindwipe. Ran into him as a piece of leftover stock in my one Walgreens, and have not regretted him. Nice purple-y bat monster that makes me think of the bat Go-Bot that is sitting on my one shelf that I loved as a kid. Only complaint is the bat head on his rear end.
5. SS VW Bee. Found him before the Bumblebee movie came out, and was praying he'd be better than the camaro bee of the same line. Thankfully, he is exponentially better and served as a bright point to psyche me up for the day.
4. SS Jazz. This is the toy that saved the Studio Series line for me. That's almost enough said right there, but he's well sculpted, articulation is great, and the paint is spot on. I did my test of having a crazy one legged pose on my desk, and a train went by and he wiggled but was so stable he never fell down. He now uses the camaro bee as his personal throne and with the smuggest, and well deserved grin.
3. Siege Sideswipe. Sideswipe's my favorite character, and when there's a chance for me to get one. It shall be mine. His sculpt is very reminiscent of his G1/MP sculpt, highly articulated, the colors pop despite the weathering, and the waist swivel was a giant surprise for me. My only regret for him was that I did not get him for the crazy HTS prices, but then again I probably wouldn't have him in time for this list.
My final two are kinda interchangeable for me, as I'm really excited that I was able to get them both.
2. TR Chaos on Velocitron Set. I came across it in my one catch all new and used store; brand new at a used price, since the employees at that location do not know Transformers. I haven't broken the factory seals yet, but once again I'm a sucker for the female representation that the brand has been getting recently, and Nautica has been tempting me. The art of the box is just serving a great art piece right now until I gather the guts to decide the fate of those pieces of tape.
1. MP Sunstreaker. A birthday gift from my husband. The merry yellow psychopath has never looked better, and still is surprising since the brand has moved away from him since the original comics/series. The articulation and engineering shows the love that Takara has for the character, as he puts almost all of my other MPs to shame, and just reeks of the Sunny's vainglorious tendencies. To quote TFwiki, "Presenting the only Masterpiece you'll ever need." Indeed.
Posted by Cyberpath on January 1st, 2019 @ 4:21am CST
Posted by -Crossfire- on January 1st, 2019 @ 4:52am CST
#10: Universe Overload
"Cybertron" was the series that got me into Transformers, and I always dug the sheer beefiness of Cybertron Defense Scattorshot. So when I saw Overload for cheap on eBay, I snapped him up. It's really nice having a figure that old to take me back to 2006(ish), and he's way more articulated than I expected, which was a nice surprise. And don't forget about his big dumb missle-launchers-into-giant-cannons. Cyber Key Power for the win!
#9: TLK Deluxe Hot Rod
Found this guy at Ollie's for a mere $7.99, along with Overlord. I have AOE Lockdown and man, Hot Rod does the mold so much better. Obviously, he's not perfect (his flat hood chest bugs me to no end), but it's nice to have the mold and actually ENJOY playing with it.
#8: POTP Grimlock
Having an updated (and inexpensive) G1 Grimlock has been something I've wanted for a while now, and even if it does it imperfectly, POTP Grim fills that need. I completely understand the various faults others have with him, but I'm satisfied with him. Well, after I gave him some touch-ups and a sword off of Shapeways, anyway. Not the best Grimlock, but could have been worse.
#7: SS VW Bumblebee
VW Bee is a really neat little figure, and it surprised me with how much personality it has. Usually my figures are either in "standing at attention" or "thick of the action" poses, but I found myself putting this guy into all kinds of silly, sassy poses. And while the transformation is a bit of a nightmare, it's really satisfying to have a tiny yellow Beetle when you're done.
#6: SS Lockdown
Like many people, I had almost convinced myself that AOE Lockdown wasn't that bad... and then this guy showed up. While he doesn't do anything super unique, SS Lockdown LOOKS amazing, what with all his sculpted detail and paint apps. Truly blows the old figure out of the water (though that's not really hard to do tbf), and plus he's the first retail figure to come with his hook. Finally!
#5: TR Overlord
I hadn't planned on getting Overlord at all during TR, but then he was at Ollie's for $20, so... While he's awful simple for a Leader figure, the only other one I have is Sixshot, so a little simplicity is welcome. Just a big chunky boi who turns into big chunky vehicles who I can put with Tarantulas and Springer and I love 'im.
#4: TR Grotuquse
This one was definitely an unexpected find: I went into my local Toys'R'Us a week before it closed, and lo and behold, Grotusquse and Scorponok, on the shelf, 50% off. It was one of the few times I've ever been overjoyed to find something at retail. He's different enough from Doublecross to be a unique experience, and die-cast Scorponok is a treat. It was the last gift TRU gave me, and man, was it a good one.
#3: TLK Voyager Scorn
Scorn was one of those figures I (stupidly) passed up when he was at retail, so having a second chance at getting him was great feeling. It amazes me that Hasbro gave him a voyager figure for a movie he wasn't in, but I'm not complaining. His extra size and articulation do wonders for him, and he fits right in with the other Dinobots. It also makes me hope that Scorn will get some love in other media too, since Hasbro didn't forget about him!
#2: Kreon Warriors (RID2015) Sideswipe
I had no idea what to expect when I saw the Kreon Warriors at Dollar General, but as soon as I put it together I was blown away. After the scattershot quality of early Kreons and the Micro-Changers, this felt like a premium toy. Like, it's a minifigure that has a full range of articulation and a full set of accessories! It's honestly the one thing that Kre-O has done better than Lego, and it's a shame this came after the line had already died, cause I would have bought into it.
#1: POTP Slash
Slash is, without a doubt, my favorite POTP Dinobot, and she's #1 here because I can't think of another figure I've bought recently that I've had as much fun playing with. (Sideswipe would be a close second, but he can't transform). Maybe it's because she's the first female Dinobot given a toy, or because she's a raptor, or maybe because she fits with the other Dinobots so well, but I just absolutely adore her. No regrets whatsoever.
Over to you.
Posted by ZeroWolf on January 1st, 2019 @ 5:39am CST
Posted by TRozok21 on January 1st, 2019 @ 8:09am CST
10:Transmetal 2 Cheetor
Been looking for him for a while, bless stores that take in figs no longer wanted
9:WFC Siege Cog
Interesting take on Fort Max's little buddy. C.O.M.B.A.T. system can make for interesting combos
8:Studio Series #20 Retro Pop Highway Bumblebee
Mostly got him for the Japanese cassettes, but the VW 'Bee turned out to be a pretty decent fig too
7:POTP Optimal Optimus
A nice re-imagining of the old boss monkey, and almost as clunky as the original Optimal Optimus
Had been wanting one of the Botcon Predators for a while, and this guy popped up at the same place I found the TM2 Cheetor mentioned above
This one stands out since I found him at a thrift store and in decent condition, and for only $5-$6 CAD
4:BW II Autolauncher
I'm just a sucker for the figs that never made it to North America
3:POTP Optimus Prime
I like the fact that we finally got a proper G1 Orion Pax, though with the "evolution sequence", I got more of a Powermaster OP feel (better than the Titans Return one we got)
This is probably one of THE most faithful re-imaginings a combiner has gotten in recent years(at least that I've seen), especially since the blocky look he has just screams G1
1: POTP Punch/Counterpunch
Okay okay, this one's here because of bias. Since watching the Rebirth eps from G1, I've loved the idea of Punch/Counterpunch. However since the original figure, most iterations of him haven't been great but I loved this guy
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on January 1st, 2019 @ 9:51am CST
GeekyGamer Gal wrote:10. POTP Grimlock. Found on on shelves shortly before Gregg Berger came to the closest convention to me and got it signed. Great fun at the convention, and well, I couldn't really put any of my Perceptors here as I've had them for years...
I really enjoyed this entry! Getting a Grimlock signed by Berger would be an amazing time, and it's so cool that you got to experience that!
TRozok21 wrote:10:Transmetal 2 Cheetor
Been looking for him for a while, bless stores that take in figs no longer wanted
There were a lot of figures I got this year from stores like you said, 4 of which made it into my list including honorable mentions. I love finding stuff like this, and funny enough, I got the Transmetal Cheetor this year as well.
Posted by Cyberpath on January 1st, 2019 @ 10:29am CST
Posted by blackeyedprime on January 1st, 2019 @ 10:46am CST
10. Baynus Squeeks, it works so well even if undersized (which matched the comedy and the anime anyhoos) as a scooter for Shampoo to sit on and admire her Ranma whilst plotting to kill girl ranma... I bought it cheeeeap to maybe one day repaint as Tbob from MASK but tha never needs to happpen now thanks for its use with Bandais S.H figures.
9. Takara Legends Lioconvoy. I had no use for TR Vector Prime, disliked the toy in all its modes and yet some how it workes really well for Lio, even stood next to MP Optimus Primal and was one of the Beatwarrs Neo figures I naver owned.
8. G1 Platinum release trypticon, the nostalgia value and having all his bits with him. Did i need a third version of Trypticon...the answer upon having him is YES.
7. Studio Series Thundercracker (Nitro repaint) such a nice toy and no effort needed to change the face to one not only a mother could love...though the toys original heads are great anyway!
6. Shattered glass Junkticons, i might not care for the shattererd glass story line but POTP rodimus Lemmy needed a biker crew, in fact they had to wait for him and I probably wouldn;t have spent money on them if he wasnt a thing due to botcon stuff not being viable for me.
5. G2 Titans return Optimus Prime (chaos on velocitron), not sure why I am discovering love for G2 stuff now whilst dismissing most of it as a kid.
4. MP Starsabre I thought there is no need of a new starsabre with how well this is done, then I saw the G1 toy and hope for a G1 reissue down the line.
3. Playstation Optimus Prime...who knew...i liked the Megadrive Megatron and figured it was easier to buy them both together despite not being impressed by Optimus. Yet there he stands leading the G2 crew on my shelves. Megatrons face let him down a bit otherwise Prime might not have claimed the position.
2. Takara Legends G2 Archforce Megatron, despite how many times the mold has been used, it just works and works really well, much like his TR counterpart Optimus, except Megs pulls a plane mode off.
1. Is cheating kind of... Having had him for a long time but only just recovering it from storage is Armada Tidal Wave. He stands tall next to the combiner wars combiners and has to take centre stage on display.
Posted by Evil Eye on January 1st, 2019 @ 11:50am CST