The Transformers IDWverse - Interview with Scott, Barber, Roberts on CBC.ca

Transformers News: The Transformers IDWverse - Interview with Scott, Barber, Roberts on CBC.ca

Sunday, July 16th, 2017 12:51PM CDT

Categories: Comic Book News, People News, Interviews
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 15,378

With TFCon currently stunning over in Canada, national media CBC.ca have also run a piece on the current output of IDW Publishing's Transformers stables, with a lengthy interview featuring writers John Barber, Mairghread Scott and James Roberts! (Shame about the neglected artists, really.)

While the interview does not really give any new information exactly, it's a good point to take to reflect on where the TF comics have come and will be going, with Till All Are One ending, and Optimus Prime and Lost Light reaching their second arcs, as First Strike is about to .. Strike the Hasbro Universe too. Check out some snippets below, and read the whole interview here!

The writers' biggest challenge is figuring out how to explore gender in a race that has rarely encountered it while avoiding making the characters feel wholly alien to readers.

"If you took a hard-science-fiction look at a world of machine life that reproduces asexually, ideas like gender and sex would be either nonexistent or very, very different than our human understanding and background in those issues," says Barber.

"But Transformers stories exist in our human world, where we know Optimus Prime is male because people say 'he' and he sounds like (voice actor) Peter Cullen and whatnot. So there's gender in there whether it makes hard-science-fiction sense or not."

[...]

"Initially, you were invited to think of them [Rewind and Chromedome --V] as very good friends, and as the story progressed, as I became more confident in what I could and couldn't do, we became more explicit in establishing them as 'robot husbands,'" says Roberts. "And I'm pleased to say that everyone involved — IDW editorial and Hasbro — have run with it. And fans, most importantly, seemed to like it."

[...]

"There are certain things that Hasbro will dictate that they do or do not want, but other than major things like 'Don't kill our main characters' or 'We really want to highlight this person,' they let us tell the stories that we want to tell," says Scott.

Credit(s): CBC
Re: The Transformers IDWverse - Interview with Scott, Barber, Roberts on CBC.ca (1897150)
Posted by Big Grim on July 17th, 2017 @ 6:35am CDT
Re: The Transformers IDWverse - Interview with Scott, Barber, Roberts on CBC.ca (1897153)
Posted by Kurona on July 17th, 2017 @ 7:13am CDT
Big Grim wrote:Stone the crows! This all started in 2005? Good grief. I feel old. But who cares? IDW has given us consistently good Transformers fiction which has often veered into excellent in the last couple of years (MTMTE in particular.). What a time to be alive!

Whenever I remember it was 2005 I just find myself amazed that it's the longest-running TF fiction to ever exist -- surpassing even Shattered Glass and the Live-action movies. It's a wonderful ride that refuses to stop :)
Re: The Transformers IDWverse - Interview with Scott, Barber, Roberts on CBC.ca (1897305)
Posted by steve2275 on July 18th, 2017 @ 7:50am CDT
cool stuff
Re: The Transformers IDWverse - Interview with Scott, Barber, Roberts on CBC.ca (1897824)
Posted by Va'al on July 20th, 2017 @ 7:52am CDT
Re: The Transformers IDWverse - Interview with Scott, Barber, Roberts on CBC.ca (1897825)
Posted by ScottyP on July 20th, 2017 @ 8:18am CDT
Va'al wrote:Tried updating very briefly the timeline, will do more once SDCC is over and can compare with ScottyP's list.
I need to look at that list again anyhow. And update the FAQ. All I need is free time that isn't available :'(
Re: The Transformers IDWverse - Interview with Scott, Barber, Roberts on CBC.ca (1900235)
Posted by Agamus on July 28th, 2017 @ 5:59am CDT
Oughta update the wikipedia page with this, it's in the same style but theirs is really dodgy.
Re: The Transformers IDWverse - Interview with Scott, Barber, Roberts on CBC.ca (1903832)
Posted by Targetmaster Kup on August 11th, 2017 @ 10:17pm CDT
Re: The Transformers IDWverse - Interview with Scott, Barber, Roberts on CBC.ca (1903841)
Posted by Sabrblade on August 11th, 2017 @ 10:33pm CDT
Nik Hero wrote:Today on Reddit, John Barber said Wrath of Karza was right around Optimus Prime #1 and Salvation takes place right before Optimus Prime #13-14.
More elaborately, six IDW writers of the Hasbro Universe (Mairghread Scott, David Rodriguez, Max Dunbar, John Barber, Christos Gage, and Aubrey Sitterson) held an "Ask Me Anything" session on Reddit in which they took questions about their work and provided answers to several of them.
Re: The Transformers IDWverse - Interview with Scott, Barber, Roberts on CBC.ca (1904046)
Posted by ScottyP on August 12th, 2017 @ 11:52pm CDT
Sabrblade wrote:
Yeah I asked the question about WoK ;) I feel like they don't know/care and were letting Bunn wrap up his story. I'm ok with that.
Re: The Transformers IDWverse - Interview with Scott, Barber, Roberts on CBC.ca (1915341)
Posted by Targetmaster Kup on October 8th, 2017 @ 11:50am CDT
Anyone figured out the order to best read all the First Strike tie-ins yet?
Re: The Transformers IDWverse - Interview with Scott, Barber, Roberts on CBC.ca (1915459)
Posted by ScottyP on October 9th, 2017 @ 11:05am CDT
Nik Hero wrote:Anyone figured out the order to best read all the First Strike tie-ins yet?
Too many not out yet to know - OP and Rom not out until 10/18, TF and MASK presumably 10/25.

Publication order has thus far been easy to follow, fwiw!
Re: The Transformers IDWverse - Interview with Scott, Barber, Roberts on CBC.ca (1916256)
Posted by Targetmaster Kup on October 13th, 2017 @ 6:13am CDT
This is what I think I've figured out for the best reading order so far:

Revolution: ROM #1
First Strike #5
First Strike #6
Till All Are One Annual #2017:
Salvation #1:
Optimus Prime #13:
Optimus Prime #14:
Re: The Transformers IDWverse - Interview with Scott, Barber, Roberts on CBC.ca (1919364)
Posted by o.supreme on November 1st, 2017 @ 4:18pm CDT

TF vs Visionaries #1
Transformers TAAO Annual
Optimus Prime #14 and
The Lost Light #13

will have been released, and all publications are current and no longer behind. I know this requires a month where 2 issues of OP & LL will have to be released, but its not entirely unprecedented. Otherwise IDW just needs to do like what they did with TAAO last year, and retroactively just state they are a month behind, and adjust any solicitations accordingly.
Re: The Transformers IDWverse - Interview with Scott, Barber, Roberts on CBC.ca (1919475)
Posted by ScottyP on November 2nd, 2017 @ 9:52am CDT
o.supreme wrote:I hate to beat the same old drum...So I'll try to approach it differently. If I had one wish, it would be that when I walk in my local comic shop on 12/27/17 (The Last Wednesday of the Year), that:

TF vs Visionaries #1
Transformers TAAO Annual
Optimus Prime #14 and
The Lost Light #13

OP 13 is, as of now (could change), set for 11/22. This would have it caught up. I have no hope of Lost Light 13 showing up by year's end. We'll be lucky if 12 is out by then.
Re: The Transformers IDWverse - Interview with Scott, Barber, Roberts on CBC.ca (1920364)
Posted by ScottyP on November 7th, 2017 @ 8:43am CST
Working on figuring out a Hasbro U "phase 1" reading order, which is my own shorthand term for "Stuff published in 2016 and 2017 up to and including First Strike and the related tie ins." I don't think a purely linear representation works, there's a great deal going on in parallel.

I could use some help on Wrath of Karza's placement with respect to Optimus Prime. I have it after Revolutionaries 2 and the first Joe and MASK arcs, what's the consensus on if it's after OP 6 or in the time gap in between Revolution and OP 1?

Also, apparently the X-Files stuff is not part of the HoS/Infestation 2 retcon because it exists in a self-canceling time loop.
Re: The Transformers IDWverse - Interview with Scott, Barber, Roberts on CBC.ca (1920466)
Posted by Targetmaster Kup on November 7th, 2017 @ 5:35pm CST
It's right before OP1. John said so on Reddit.
Re: The Transformers IDWverse - Interview with Scott, Barber, Roberts on CBC.ca (1920554)
Posted by ScottyP on November 8th, 2017 @ 8:14am CST
Nik Hero wrote:It's right before OP1. John said so on Reddit.
Thanks! I remembered him answering this but was looking on Twitter for it >< Sheesh. I was even the one that asked the question on Reddit!
Re: The Transformers IDWverse - Interview with Scott, Barber, Roberts on CBC.ca (1923000)
Posted by o.supreme on November 21st, 2017 @ 11:25am CST

I reported last year that the Titans Return one shot was (for lack of a better term) the 300th overall issue of the IDW Trasformers series (though because of retcons , and stories being told in TF history it now stands at #313)

Now it appears that the Optimus Prime Annual due out in February 2018 will be issue #400 (though this incorporates TF vs Visionaries in which issues 4 & 5 will not come until the next 2 months after the annual's supposed release date).

Still it's kind of cool for fans like myself who appreciate such milestone markers, even if the series itself overall is not my cup of tea, it's longevity is to be commended.
Re: The Transformers IDWverse - Interview with Scott, Barber, Roberts on CBC.ca (1923062)
Posted by Targetmaster Kup on November 21st, 2017 @ 7:29pm CST
o.supreme wrote:So, ever since I discovered the "chronological" reading order for the single issues as maintained on Wikipedia's IDW Transformers page, I've noticed patterns...

What's the URL of that list?
Re: The Transformers IDWverse - Interview with Scott, Barber, Roberts on CBC.ca (1923185)
Posted by o.supreme on November 22nd, 2017 @ 10:24am CST
Transformers products from AMAZON

Featured Products

Buy "Transformers Robots in Disguise Warrior Class Strongarm Figure" on AMAZON
You save: 61%
You save: 54%
Buy "Transformers Generations Voyager Class Roadbuster Figure" on AMAZON
You save: 40%
You save: 34%
You save: 22%
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Generations combiner wars deluxe protectobot groove" on AMAZON
You save: 20%